Anyone still *believe* JJAW will actually be good?

FastFreddie

24 minutes ago, birdman#12 said:

Plus Wentz, who was struggling with his own confidence, never was real confident in JJAW.

Maybe it was because he dropped a touchdown pass in the second game?

24 minutes ago, birdman#12 said:

I absolutely do.......he'll play a role similar to Jeffrey's role.  Lat year, because of all the WR injuries, Pedersen mentioned that JJAW was moved around too much and it hampered his development.  Plus Wentz, who was struggling with his own confidence, never was real confident in JJAW.  He's a possession type receiver who uses his body similar to Jeffrey but he never got big separation....which is why Wentz, and his struggling confidence to hit small windows, didn't thow his way.  Wentz got passed that issue later in the year,  and hopefully continues that this year, which will give JJAW more chances.

My only reservation there is that the need time to work together right? To build that rapport and understanding? And in this off season that may prove difficult. 

I'm not ready to write him off but he's got a lot of work to do and it has come literally at the worst possible time for him. 

• Like 1

He lacks speed, route running, ability to separate.  Other than that he's great!  If he works hard to learn how to run routes he could catch 30-40 balls a year as a move the chains guy, maybe be a red zone threat.  The problem for him politically is when you are as needed as he was last year, and you completely fail to deliver any results, your place in the depth chart is moved down.  New talent is brought in above you.  In this league depth chart positioning is determined in the off season.  It is very hard to move up a depth chart once the brain trust has placed you in a certain caste position.  As a 2nd round pick one year removed, JJ will get chances that few others would that performed as miserably as he did last year.  He'll get on the field early but will need to show he is dramatically improved to keep getting PT the 2nd half of the season.

If anything I would expect the new speed receivers to clear out some traffic and make him a more viable target. His problem is going to be playing time. I'm not sure you put him on the field ahead of Alshon, Desean or Ward. Shy of an Alshon injury/trade I think he probably is inactive.

46 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

My only reservation there is that the need time to work together right? To build that rapport and understanding? And in this off season that may prove difficult. 

I'm not ready to write him off but he's got a lot of work to do and it has come literally at the worst possible time for him. 

i agree........he needs to become a real student of the position and work his a-- off.  The eagles are a pretty patient group of coaches.....and I hope the new WR coach can upcoach him.

It's unfortunate that this virus has sidetracked the offseason stuff......2nd year players and rookies really need that time to get acquainted as much as possible with the systems.

51 minutes ago, Perforator said:

Maybe it was because he dropped a touchdown pass in the second game?

That's possible....that drop very well may have cost them that game.......  Agholor dropped a sure touchdown against atlanta and he seemed to go missing too.....

I’m not completely writing him off yet but I’m not very confident. 

Not saying i have hope

BUT i absolutely hate when people declare guys a bust this earlier in their careers.  Some guys are able to rebound from a poor first year or two, maybe they catch on with a diff team and diff system they actually thrive in...  

Prime example is that LeSean McCoy thread... (generally speaking)

My expectations have transitioned from modest to zero.  He has the physical talent (or lack of) where everything else needs to be perfect for him to excel.  

It's crazy how the narrative shifts from, midseason, that he can't get on the field because they only want him to learn one position and bring him along slowly....now, he's saying he was hurt and didn't know what position he was going to play.  Throwing up all those excuses under cover of an interview in a different language does not speak to someone who is going to push through early career adversity.  

I'm not blaming the coaches on this one.

I really hope last year was nerves. He looked like a totally different player than what he looked like in college. Seemed like he was overwhelmed. I still have a little hope for him. 

I have some optimism.  It seems like they were using JJAW as backup WR, trying to do a bunch of different things. I remember they were streaking him down the field expecting him to catch bombs, like DJax would do, and what they tried with Agholor, but he couldn't catch them either. That's not his strong suit. His best plays are short-intermediate routes contesting defenders for catches. It felt like they didn't want him battling DBs every play. So I hope they discover JJAW's best skills and are able to use them in the offense. However, right now it feels like he's another Agholor all over again.

7 minutes ago, toolg said:

I have some optimism.  It seems like they were using JJAW as backup WR, trying to do a bunch of different things. I remember they were streaking him down the field expecting him to catch bombs, like DJax would do, and what they tried with Agholor, but he couldn't catch them either. That's not his strong suit. His best plays are short-intermediate routes contesting defenders for catches. It felt like they didn't want him battling DBs every play. So I hope they discover JJAW's best skills and are able to use them in the offense. However, right now it feels like he's another Agholor all over again.

At this point I'd take another Agholor. He was at least relevant for one very important season. I fear JJAW will be really, really irrelevant.

That said he always felt like a backfill for Jeffery, so it was inconvenient that they still had a hobbled Jeffery on the field and didn't have DeSean. Speed guys *should* clear space underneath, blah blah. I mean... I'm as happy happy joy joy as anyone. Hell, I even like the Jalen Hurts pick and defend Howie on it. But JJAW already smells like a total swing and a miss.

Do I THINK he will be good? NO. Do I HOPE he will be good? Yes. 

For the life of me I can’t see how anyone would hope one of the players failed. I can see not believe in the guy or having doubts about the player, but to hope a player fails... Makes me wonder if you’re a fan of the team. 

1 hour ago, EazyEaglez said:

For the life of me I can’t see how anyone would hope one of the players failed. I can see not believe in the guy or having doubts about the player, but to hope a player fails... Makes me wonder if you’re a fan of the team. 

Who hopes he fails?

I guess it's a fine line between "hoping" he fails and holding out "hope" that he actually doesn't fail.

7 minutes ago, FastFreddie said:

I guess it's a fine line between "hoping" he fails and holding out "hope" that he actually doesn't fail.

Hmm I'm not sure it's a fine line... Hoping someone fails is very different to hoping they succeed or holding hope that they don't fail. 

1 minute ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Hmm I'm not sure it's a fine line... Hoping someone fails is very different to hoping they succeed or holding hope that they don't fail. 

It is for the dude complaining that anyone on here wants the kid to fail, assuming due to use of the word "hope" in both.

25 minutes ago, FastFreddie said:

If you do not hope he will be good, then you’re hoping he fails. Maybe it’s the wording of the tread.

Just now, EazyEaglez said:

If you do not hope he will be good, then you’re hoping he fails. Maybe it’s the wording of the tread.

True. I can hope he will still be good but not truly believe he will be.

He's garbage and will always be garbage. Strictly speaking as an NFL player. 

14 minutes ago, FastFreddie said:

True. I can hope he will still be good but not truly believe he will be.

That’s where I’m at. I don’t think he will be good, but I hope he proves me wrong.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

The original thread title was using ‘’hope’’ interchangeably with ‘’faith’’.