Cutting the cord

wholesale_Melvin

not sure how interested in streaming we are but this was always an interesting thread for information. seriously thinking of chucking Direct TV (i remain hopeful with the ticket contract coming up for renewal) but after last night, i've had it with ANY tv service: i need some kind of background program to half ahzedly watch while eating my ice cream. said ice cream was melted before i found something to watch and it was Bull Durham, and can't stand baseball. 
i think this weekend was the weekend i lost any interest with starting at MTV Classic (great for background tv ), working my way through all the kiddie cartoon shows, past the channels asking me if my pillow is giving me cancer, past the scripted auto customization shows, through the avengers movie of the week avengers channel, the scripted hype guy promoting limp bbq spots, finally winding up at NFL network. 

I contacted DTV early in corona for my yearly discount convo. (Note: I have ATT cellular so that likely helps net me some additional discounts). 

Before discounts, my plan has:

$74.99 - Entertainment package

$17.99 - HBO

$15.00 - Advance Receiver/DVR

$21.00 - 3 additional receivers

$7.00 - primary TV receiver 

Discounts as follows:

-$10.00 - combined DTV/ATT bill (lifetime)

-$17.99 - HBO free with both services (lifetime)

-$25.00 - Lifetime credit the guy gave me this call. Said he’s basically wiping out the advanced receiver cost with it and something else 

-$70.00 - 12-month discount on my plan  this is the one I call in to reactivate yearly, and usually it’s only $50/mo

so the cable/satellite portion of my bill runs me $13 a month? At worst will just to $33 a month a year from not when the discount most likely will only be $50/mo like it normally has been  

• Like 1

well done but thing is....i'm not satisfied with ANY of the content i have. i literally have to hunt for something to just have on to validate just having the service, not just the cost.

• Like 1

I cut the cord two years ago and I dont see myself ever going back. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Agent23 said:

I contacted DTV early in corona for my yearly discount convo. (Note: I have ATT cellular so that likely helps net me some additional discounts). 

Before discounts, my plan has:

$74.99 - Entertainment package

$17.99 - HBO

$15.00 - Advance Receiver/DVR

$21.00 - 3 additional receivers

$7.00 - primary TV receiver 

Discounts as follows:

-$10.00 - combined DTV/ATT bill (lifetime)

-$17.99 - HBO free with both services (lifetime)

-$25.00 - Lifetime credit the guy gave me this call. Said he’s basically wiping out the advanced receiver cost with it and something else 

-$70.00 - 12-month discount on my plan  this is the one I call in to reactivate yearly, and usually it’s only $50/mo

so the cable/satellite portion of my bill runs me $13 a month? At worst will just to $33 a month a year from not when the discount most likely will only be $50/mo like it normally has been  

What do you say when you make this annual call to get a discount?  Do you ever see what you say never working?

25 minutes ago, xzmattzx said:

What do you say when you make this annual call to get a discount?  Do you ever see what you say never working?

DTV doesn’t have internet service around here (and probably don’t have it in most places) so for my area, Spectrum and Fios are the internet options and both offer cable packages. So usually just some version of "spectrum/fios handle my internet and they’re constantly sending me all these great offers to bundle tv service with my internet. I prefer staying with DTV so wanted to see if there are any promotions that I’m eligible for” 

Cut the cord 7 years ago, don't miss it. I wasn't watching most shows on network or cable, most of them suck or I can watch streaming later. I don't live in Philly so Philly sports not on locally. I share streaming services with family so barely spend any money. 

• Like 1

all great advise. keep'em coming, suggestions on anything to make tv viewing better are welcome. 

Ive contemplated doing this, but I feel like watching philly sports seems difficult or hokey. Can I still watch the phillies every night (whenever sports returns) if I dont have cable?

I cut the cord for TV, 2 years ago. Unfortunately for me, we ONLY have Comcast here for internet with speeds we need. 

100mb/s Internet = $50 a month tax included

Netlix - $15 month

Disney+ - $8 a month 

Tubi - Free 

NFL Sunday Ticket app - $99 a year and streams right on the smart TV.  

So, we are at about $73 a month for more movies and TV then we can watch, use an HD over the air antenna for local channels, and $99 once a year for all the NFL games.  

how are you streaming the ticket without direct tv ?

33 minutes ago, wholesale_Melvin said:

how are you streaming the ticket without direct tv ?

There is an option now to get it through the NFL Sunday Ticket APP.  You can get the app on most devices. If you have a ROKU or Smart TV you can get the app on those and watch right on your TV.  I have been doing that for 3 seasons.  $99.  

dammit, just gave the roku i bought away. didn't have any interest in it. thinking of getting a chromecast for Chickie. same offer ?

3 minutes ago, wholesale_Melvin said:

dammit, just gave the roku i bought away. didn't have any interest in it. thinking of getting a chromecast for Chickie. same offer ?

Yep.

https://nflsthelp.directv.com/hc/en-us/articles/205157485-Can-I-use-Chromecast-to-display-NFLSUNDAYTICKET-TV-games-on-my-TV-

4 minutes ago, What The F said:

literally just read that link, thanks; but wasn't sure if you still have to have full direct tv and the  sunday ticket or somehow purchase sunday ticket alone.

No directv needed. I have never had directv. You just sign up and purchase right thru the app alone. Tell directv to pound sand. 

@#$$$!!!  cord will be cut tonight, thanks !

• Like 1

I cut the cord 7 or 8 years ago. I don't watch as much tv as a result. Whatever savings I accrued have gone into the beer budget. But I'd rather wipe my arse with $100 dollar bill and flush it before I gave it to a cable company. 💩

Honestly when I want to throw something on in the background I just watch something on Pluto TV. It's free and tbh it's really good at that. Since it's owned by Viacom they actually have decent programming for it being free. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, wholesale_Melvin said:

all great advise. keep'em coming, suggestions on anything to make tv viewing better are welcome. 

My wife and I found we'd out on garbage shows just to have something on, or we'd DVR so many things and feel we had to watch or they'd delete. This was before more storage but we also were more interested in Netflix then Prime and Hulu had original content. 

Cable requires contracts, equipment fees, fees per box, etc. Streaming you cancel anytime and play from lhone, tablet, share accounts with friends  etc.

So now the shows we watch are more quality. We're not watching crap just because it's on. And we'll wait on some shows to build up episodes before watching rather than waste time on something that gets canceled. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, wholesale_Melvin said:

IPTV and APKs are the way to go.

www.troypoint.com is a good resource for all your streaming needs.

• Like 1

ugh, early cancellation fees. telling them i'll call them back in a few months.

in the long run, it'll be worth it. already feeling better. 

20 hours ago, What The F said:

There is an option now to get it through the NFL Sunday Ticket APP.  You can get the app on most devices. If you have a ROKU or Smart TV you can get the app on those and watch right on your TV.  I have been doing that for 3 seasons.  $99.  

What version of the ticket is it? On "cable" plans, there is 1 version where you only get to watch actual games, and a 2nd version that ALSO includes Red Zone channel (which they bundle their streaming plan in with). $99 is 100% worth it even without red zone, but 110% worth it with!

Also, I'm assuming it limits to only streaming on one device at a time?

i love watching crap on tv.  we do netflix & prime as well...but it's not the same as being able to flip through the cable guide & winding up watching 5 episodes of house hunters, ghost adventures, impractical jokers, pool kings, etc. in a row. :lol:  we watch a lot of time killing shows on cable so i'm not cutting the cord any time soon.  

• Like 2