Cutting the cord

wholesale_Melvin

agreed hunt, nothing beats channel surfing and coming across BTLC or an old episode of Mad TV. 
signed up for Netflix highest package. chickie dove right into for the love of spock

1 hour ago, Agent23 said:

What version of the ticket is it? On "cable" plans, there is 1 version where you only get to watch actual games, and a 2nd version that ALSO includes Red Zone channel (which they bundle their streaming plan in with). $99 is 100% worth it even without red zone, but 110% worth it with!

Also, I'm assuming it limits to only streaming on one device at a time?

Yes 1 device at a time.  It includes redzone and also some kind of fantasy alert you can set up.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, What The F said:

Yes 1 device at a time.  It includes redzone and also some kind of fantasy alert you can set up.  

Maybe I will try that this year. 2019 was first time in like 6 years I didn't manage to get Sunday Ticket for free. Didn't want to pay an additional $100 for Red Zone (includes streaming, but I wouldn't use that much if at all), and between night games, late afternoon games, and being close enough to Philly (when Giants are playing in a different time slot), I think half the Eagles games were viewable on my regular television package making DTV at $350 or whatever it costs even that more of money sink. But for $100 I would go to a bar to catch the Eagles game (if not showing locally) then have Red Zone on the rest of the day while at home. 

On 5/5/2020 at 10:31 AM, BirdsFanBill said:

Ive contemplated doing this, but I feel like watching philly sports seems difficult or hokey. Can I still watch the phillies every night (whenever sports returns) if I dont have cable?

Depends where you live. Fubotv, YouTubetv and Hulu all have nbc sports and local channels out if Philly. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

Depends where you live. Fubotv, YouTubetv and Hulu all have nbc sports and local channels out if Philly. 

would that involve all that 'redirecting' if you're out of state ?

37 minutes ago, wholesale_Melvin said:

would that involve all that 'redirecting' if you're out of state ?

Most likely

On 5/6/2020 at 9:52 AM, mr_hunt said:

i love watching crap on tv.  we do netflix & prime as well...but it's not the same as being able to flip through the cable guide & winding up watching 5 episodes of house hunters, ghost adventures, impractical jokers, pool kings, etc. in a row. :lol:  we watch a lot of time killing shows on cable so i'm not cutting the cord any time soon.  

Download PlutoTV and give that a shot for a few weeks. TBH I have all the big streaming services but I find myself watching that more than anything else.  They have binge channels where they just play episode after episode of certain stuff. It's great to put it on in the background.

Year 3 of cord free. We use Hulu plus to get live sports and most cable channels. $50 a month.

9 hours ago, Gannan said:

Year 3 of cord free. We use Hulu plus to get live sports and most cable channels. $50 a month.

i was reviewing that last night. didn't pinpoint how to combine that with a vpn to spoof location yet. have a couple months before contract ends with  Direct TV to research. 

On 5/8/2020 at 6:19 AM, wholesale_Melvin said:

i was reviewing that last night. didn't pinpoint how to combine that with a vpn to spoof location yet. have a couple months before contract ends with  Direct TV to research. 

@VaBeach_Eagle this is the guy you want to speak to for all the tricks on that

5 hours ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

@VaBeach_Eagle this is the guy you want to speak to for all the tricks on that

:angel

On 5/8/2020 at 6:19 AM, wholesale_Melvin said:

Right now, I'm using Fubo with the Windscribe VPN (that's why we have affiliate links for those two in the store tab at the top of the screen).

With Windscribe, they have two Philadelphia servers but one of them doesn't work with Fubo anymore. The other one only registers with Fubo as being in Philadelphia now and then. Right now, it's giving me Ohio local channels (ABC, CBS, NBC and Fox)... or maybe it's Florida, I forget which. But, since I used a Philadelphia zip code with Fubo when I signed up, I get NBC Sports Philadelphia  and NBC Sports Philadelphia+, regardless of which VPN server I'm using or even if I'm not using the VPN. 

There's also 'Hotspot VPN', which has (or had) a Philadelphia server. I tried that one about 6 months ago, but I never could get that one to give me a Philadelphia IP address and their Customer Service seemed pretty much clueless. I've been meaning to give them another try, but just haven't gotten around to it.

If you do sign up for Windscribe and/or Fubo, use our affiliate links and the board will get a commission, which will be used for keeping the board funded and online. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

DTV contract ends in december of 21 BUT early termination fee is only $200. Fee reduces by $10 each month closer to the contract. 

I was actually pretty giddy when i hung up with  retention. I don't think we've actually watched anything on Direct TV in a couple weeks. Thinking it's just a coincidence that  HBO/MAX free weekend happened to come up the night i inquired about the contract. Plan to close it out next month; yeah, only saving $10 in reality but it feels like millions to do so. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/9/2020 at 1:14 PM, VaBeach_Eagle said:

:angel

Right now, I'm using Fubo with the Windscribe VPN (that's why we have affiliate links for those two in the store tab at the top of the screen).

With Windscribe, they have two Philadelphia servers but one of them doesn't work with Fubo anymore. The other one only registers with Fubo as being in Philadelphia now and then. Right now, it's giving me Ohio local channels (ABC, CBS, NBC and Fox)... or maybe it's Florida, I forget which. But, since I used a Philadelphia zip code with Fubo when I signed up, I get NBC Sports Philadelphia  and NBC Sports Philadelphia+, regardless of which VPN server I'm using or even if I'm not using the VPN. 

There's also 'Hotspot VPN', which has (or had) a Philadelphia server. I tried that one about 6 months ago, but I never could get that one to give me a Philadelphia IP address and their Customer Service seemed pretty much clueless. I've been meaning to give them another try, but just haven't gotten around to it.

If you do sign up for Windscribe and/or Fubo, use our affiliate links and the board will get a commission, which will be used for keeping the board funded and online. 

I just signed up for a free trial of Hotspot, which has a Philly server. I tried them last year and they never actually gave me a Philly IP. I figured that enough time had passed that I should try them again. This time I got a Philly IP address. So I logged into Fubo to see if I was getting Philly locals, and I am. 

So for the moment, Fubo with Hotspot, works to get Philly locals. I'll see if it stays that way or if it kind of goes in and out like it does with Windscribe. 

19 minutes ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

I just signed up for a free trial of Hotspot, which has a Philly server. I tried them last year and they never actually gave me a Philly IP. I figured that enough time had passed that I should try them again. This time I got a Philly IP address. So I logged into Fubo to see if I was getting Philly locals, and I am. 

So for the moment, Fubo with Hotspot, works to get Philly locals. I'll see if it stays that way or if it kind of goes in and out like it does with Windscribe. 

good because i'm also getting rid of Netflix today. just never used (except for the new Patton Oswalt concert)

1 minute ago, wholesale_Melvin said:

good because i'm also getting rid of Netflix today. just never used (except for the new Patton Oswalt concert)

there's a really good movie called love that you should watch before you get rid of it. 

you're welcome. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mr_hunt said:

there's a really good movie called love that you should watch before you get rid of it. 

you're welcome. 

i've seen the posts about that. 

5 minutes ago, wholesale_Melvin said:

i've seen the posts about that. 

make sure you're wearing safety googles while watching that one.   you'll shoot your eye out, kid. 

• 3 months later...
On 5/7/2020 at 8:52 PM, Gannan said:

can you get all eagles & sixers games through hulu?  and what about nfl red zone? 

8 minutes ago, mr_hunt said:

can you get all eagles & sixers games through hulu?  and what about nfl red zone? 

Pretty much the only reason I haven't cut the cord.  I like to DVR the games which I know these services offer but I couldn't find any that provide what I need for less than my cable bill.  I only have one box now.

1 hour ago, mr_hunt said:

Sixers, Flyers, Phillies, Eagles, yes. Red zone no. But there's rumors that it's coming. 

1 hour ago, rambo said:

Pretty much the only reason I haven't cut the cord.  I like to DVR the games which I know these services offer but I couldn't find any that provide what I need for less than my cable bill.  I only have one box now.

I can DVR the games on hulu as well. I use it for baseball all the time since there are so many games and I don't always get to catch them live. No box needed. All cloud based. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Gannan said:

Sixers, Flyers, Phillies, Eagles, yes. Red zone no. But there's rumors that it's coming. 

I can DVR the games on hulu as well. I use it for baseball all the time since there are so many games and I don't always get to catch them live. No box needed. All cloud based. 

do you get all the nationally televised nfl & nba games as well?  

6 minutes ago, Gannan said:

For the price of hulu live it's more than my cable bill.

Just now, mr_hunt said:

do you get all the nationally televised nfl & nba games as well?  

Yes. I get Fox, NBC, CBS, ABC, TNT, TBS, and ESPN. The only channel I used to watch on cable that I don't get is AMC. So now I wait to watch TWD on Netflix. However, if I really wanted to, I could switch from Hulu to YouTube's streaming service which does carry AMC, I just don't miss that channel that much. TWD had jumped the shark when I made the switch. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, rambo said:

For the price of hulu live it's more than my cable bill.

I pay $55 iirc. I was paying well over $100 for cable. For cable and internet through comcrap I was paying close to $200 (and the internet speeds were atrociously slow). The other thing I hated was that my bill was constantly changing. I would complain, they would lower the price and tell me my price was locked in for a year, and over the course of the next few months it would slowly creep back up to what it was. Now I know what I pay, and it doesn't change.