Cutting the cord

wholesale_Melvin

1 minute ago, mr_hunt said:

yes...i believe the limit is 3 (at the same time). that could be an issue if you're sharing an account.  

Was just reading, 6 devices.

Looking at the channel lineup, in my area it’s not worth an extra 20 bucks over sling just to get local channels.

Will PM you something that may be an idea for you.

1 hour ago, downundermike said:

Was just reading, 6 devices.

Looking at the channel lineup, in my area it’s not worth an extra 20 bucks over sling just to get local channels.

Will PM you something that may be an idea for you.

oh...6 devices total could be an issue. hell, we have 4 tv's in our house that are used regularly....and 3 more that are used every now & then. :lol:  

edit: youtube tv allows 6 profiles...and you can stream on up to 3 devices at the same time. that would probably work for our household but would be an issue if we attempted to share the account with our daughter & sil. 

1 minute ago, mr_hunt said:

oh...6 devices total could be an issue. hell, we have 4 tv's in our house that are used regularly....and 3 more that are used every now & then. :lol:  

That is what I like about sling, no device limits.  I have it on 3 Apple TV’s, my pc, laptop, phone, kids laptop and my work pc.  

50 minutes ago, mr_hunt said:

been reading up on youtube tv & i believe their service is location based...in theory, if someone in the philly area had youtube tv, they could share it with you & you would get their philly local stations since they set it up under their location. caveat is that you would need to log in from their location at least once every 90 days or your logon would be disabled...their way of discouraging account sharing. 

it's been discussed before and we will need someone to post a refresher course in late July but  you can spoof your location using a VPN with most services (allowing you to stream Philly local channels).

• Like 1

Just now, downundermike said:

@wholesale_Melvin really driving that point home 

my apologies. kept hitting reply and seeing no results. revised. 

Just now, wholesale_Melvin said:

my apologies. kept hitting reply and seeing no results. revised. 

Yep, happens to my on mobile from time to time.

@Moderator12 any thoughts on this.  Hitting submit reply on mobile, it takes the reply but still shows the submit reply button available ? 

I'm going to attempt to cut Xfinity out of my life completely.  We cut cable in October and went to Youtube TV exclusively.  We won't go back.  My in-laws did the same thing.  I love that you can customize your channel lineup and the direct integration with the TV is the best.  My LG has a youtube TV app and it works flawlessly.  Only one remote to use.  

HOWEVER, because of that, my usage has gone through the roof.  Now Xfinity throws a usage cap starting in January 2021?  Garbage.   They don't tell anyone and then they throw in a 1.3 TB cap.... between working from home, school from home, streaming everything (including movies in 4k), we blew through our cap by January 22.  They gave two months grace period (extended now until July) but will make you pay if you go over.  The only way you can get unlimited is if you go to their more expensive plan and get their router.  Garbage again.  

So... we are going to test drive T-mobile home internet.  Only $50 per month including fees and taxes.  Runs on their 5g network.  I'm hoping that we can squeeze enough out that we can still run our devices and stream without much loss.  30 days to try it with their device for free.  If it sucks and doesn't work at all, then we will stick with xfinity.  

48 minutes ago, mr_hunt said:

I'm pretty sure its only 3 devices.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Smokesdawg said:

I'm pretty sure its only 3 devices.  

yeah...you can only stream on 3 devices at the same time. 

• You can connect up to three devices to your YouTube TV subscription at the same time.
  • If you are watching YouTube TV on your phone and TV simultaneously, it counts as two devices in use.
  • While each YouTube TV subscription supports up to six separate accounts, the three device limit still applies at all times, regardless of which account is using the platform.

On 5/9/2020 at 12:14 PM, VaBeach_Eagle said:

:angel

Right now, I'm using Fubo with the Windscribe VPN (that's why we have affiliate links for those two in the store tab at the top of the screen).

With Windscribe, they have two Philadelphia servers but one of them doesn't work with Fubo anymore. The other one only registers with Fubo as being in Philadelphia now and then. Right now, it's giving me Ohio local channels (ABC, CBS, NBC and Fox)... or maybe it's Florida, I forget which. But, since I used a Philadelphia zip code with Fubo when I signed up, I get NBC Sports Philadelphia  and NBC Sports Philadelphia+, regardless of which VPN server I'm using or even if I'm not using the VPN. 

There's also 'Hotspot VPN', which has (or had) a Philadelphia server. I tried that one about 6 months ago, but I never could get that one to give me a Philadelphia IP address and their Customer Service seemed pretty much clueless. I've been meaning to give them another try, but just haven't gotten around to it.

If you do sign up for Windscribe and/or Fubo, use our affiliate links and the board will get a commission, which will be used for keeping the board funded and online. 

Hunt, like this. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, wholesale_Melvin said:

Hunt, like this. 

i'm good with the local channels.  i get the nepa local networks plus i'm close enough to philly that i get the eagles games & nbc sports philly and + for sixers games.  i think notw was asking about getting the philly locals. 

2 hours ago, downundermike said:

@Moderator12 any thoughts on this.  Hitting submit reply on mobile, it takes the reply but still shows the submit reply button available ? 

Randomly happens for me too.  Both here and on the old board.

2 hours ago, mr_hunt said:

i'm good with the local channels.  i get the nepa local networks plus i'm close enough to philly that i get the eagles games & nbc sports philly and + for sixers games.  i think notw was asking about getting the philly locals. 

They are getting rid of NBC Philly sports channel at the end of the year. They are going to live stream some games on Peacock and USA

5 minutes ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

They are getting rid of NBC Philly sports channel at the end of the year. They are going to live stream some games on Peacock and USA

you sure?  

https://www.nbcsports.com/washington/nbc-sports-network-will-shut-down-nbc-sports-washington-not-impacted

This will not impact the NBC Sports regional networks, which include NBC Sports Boston, NBC Sports Philadelphia, NBC Sports Washington, NBC Sports Chicago, NBC Sports Bay Area and NBC Sports Northwest. These regional sports networks operate as a separate business that NBC Sports Network.

8 minutes ago, mr_hunt said:

you sure?  

https://www.nbcsports.com/washington/nbc-sports-network-will-shut-down-nbc-sports-washington-not-impacted

This will not impact the NBC Sports regional networks, which include NBC Sports Boston, NBC Sports Philadelphia, NBC Sports Washington, NBC Sports Chicago, NBC Sports Bay Area and NBC Sports Northwest. These regional sports networks operate as a separate business that NBC Sports Network.

Rumors have been swirling around for NBCSN’s future for weeks, including a prediction last month that NBC would shut down the channel at some point this year.

Locally, there appears to be additional cuts at NBC Sports Philadelphia, which sources said includes Vice President of Content and News Programming Michelle Murray and Vice President of Marketing Cynthia Weiss. Murray has led the newsroom since her arrival 13 years ago and Weiss has been with the regional sports network since its inception 23 year ago.

My article says all the same stuff yours does but, doesn't mention nbc philadelphia not being impacted. Says the opposite. 

2 minutes ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

Rumors have been swirling around for NBCSN’s future for weeks, including a prediction last month that NBC would shut down the channel at some point this year.

Locally, there appears to be additional cuts at NBC Sports Philadelphia, which sources said includes Vice President of Content and News Programming Michelle Murray and Vice President of Marketing Cynthia Weiss. Murray has led the newsroom since her arrival 13 years ago and Weiss has been with the regional sports network since its inception 23 year ago.

My article says all the same stuff yours does but, doesn't mention nbc philadelphia not being impacted. Says the opposite. 

yeah...they've had layoffs. i remember d-gunn being let go a while back.  but i'm not seeing anything about the channel going away. 

honestly, i only care about the 76ers games on there. if they did shut down nbc sports philly, i'm sure the 76ers games would be aired somewhere else. 

Just now, mr_hunt said:

yeah...they've had layoffs. i remember d-gunn being let go a while back.  but i'm not seeing anything about the channel going away. 

honestly, i only care about the 76ers games on there. if they did shut down nbc sports philly, i'm sure the 76ers games would be aired somewhere else. 

Yeah I don't watch it except 6ers too. That channel has gone to sheet. 

23 hours ago, downundermike said:

That happens to me too.  If I recall on the old board it was an Invision issue.  Happens to me on mobile and laptop as well but not as often as the old board.  

21 hours ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

That will suck, if it happens. It wouldn't really shock me though, with all the cutbacks that they've had over the past year or two. Starting with Philly Sports Talk about 6 months after LII. 

• 2 weeks later...

starting my 5 day trial for youtube tv beginning today.  $65/month if i decide to keep it. of course, i'll have to keep my cable co's internet & that's around $80.  but it's still about 1/2 of what i'm paying now. 

keep us posted, Hunter; that's one of the one's i'm looking at for local philly channels come next season.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, mr_hunt said:

starting my 5 day trial for youtube tv beginning today.  $65/month if i decide to keep it. of course, i'll have to keep my cable co's internet & that's around $80.  but it's still about 1/2 of what i'm paying now. 

Service electric?

15 hours ago, mr_hunt said:

We switched to that from service electric and haven't missed cable for a second. In fact,  we like this better.  Saved 40 bucks a month.  Have every channel we ever watched.  3 stream limit is just enough.  

Whats really nice is it knows what you watch so if I turn on my TV it's automatically putting the 6ers pregame show on my face.  No need to go through the channel menu to find NBCSN. But if there's not a 6ers game on,  it's showing me whatever other NBA game is currently on. 

I never even need to open up the channel guide. It makes the right suggestions right up front.