Cutting the cord

wholesale_Melvin

1 hour ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

Just watched this, lol. Love the ending especially after I was just busting on you for sharing accounts lol

Gotta watch it first then comment bruh.

Follow me for more amazing content.

2 minutes ago, NOTW said:

Gotta watch it first then comment bruh.

Follow me for more amazing content.

Sounds risky

On 9/20/2020 at 9:39 PM, NOTW said:

I think eventually streaming companies will merge or get acquired, some will go out of business.

Some aspects of streaming are still an advantage. Can cancel and rejoin anytime. No equipment. No waiting for the cable company to come drill holes or run wires in your house and they're not available til next Thursday.

No extra fees to record, watch in HD, extra boxes for other rooms. No calling customer service on hold for 30 minutes to argue about your bill. No blackout times where you can't watch a channel while the cable provider is negotiating with the channel. On most, no commercials. 

Some services like Hulu live or Sling are kind of the model of a cable provider but with these cloud advantages. 

Couple of questions you might know the answer to:

1) If I ditch my cable and get Hulu live, what channels would I not get?  A friend of mine said comedy central and that's it.  But I watch FX1, ESPN, ABC, NBC, CBS, MLB network, NBA network, TNT......all for sports.  Plus there's AMC, FX, Fox for shows.  

2) My outdoor TV is not a smart TV (It's from 2008 and still has a great picture).  Would I just have to use a blue ray player to connect to hulu live out there?  

3) How does DVR work for a streaming service?  Do I lose that completely?  

5 minutes ago, hputenis said:

1) If I ditch my cable and get Hulu live, what channels would I not get?  A friend of mine said comedy central and that's it.  But I watch FX1, ESPN, ABC, NBC, CBS, MLB network, NBA network, TNT......all for sports.  Plus there's AMC, FX, Fox for shows.  

2) My outdoor TV is not a smart TV (It's from 2008 and still has a great picture).  Would I just have to use a blue ray player to connect to hulu live out there?  

You should be able to just get a fire stick or whatever. Even if the outdoor elements break it every year, it’s still a lot cheaper than buying a Blu-ray player. 

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, hputenis said:

1. I don't know about the live, I only have Plus which is available the next day.  I'm sure their website would address what's available.  They now have a package with Disney and ESPN, I'm not sure what all you get on ESPN.

2. Any TV that's not a Smart TV you need some type of device to get the streaming content.  Blu-ray, gaming system, Amazon Fire Stick, Roku device, Google Chromecast, Apple TV, etc..  I have a Chromecast on my 2nd TV which like yours is older and not smart.  Chromecast is cheap and plugs into the HDMI port, and you run it from the app on your phone.  So any app you have that is compatible you just hit the Chromecast button and it starts displaying on your screen.  You can do that with youtube, showing photos in your gallery, etc. not just TV streaming apps.

3. I don't know if DVR is available on Hulu, but streaming services are like the "On Demand" products in cable.  You don't have to record them, they're just there and you can rewatch as many times as you want.  It's just in the library.  But things can also be removed, they will have certain contracts with content for a period of time.  Hulu's website should have info about that if they have a DVR.  There may even be some hacks out there you can find on how to record or download content.  

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, hputenis said:

1. No AMC, no MLB or NBA network. Everything else yes. I might be able to get some of those if I pay more but I never watch them.

2. Yeah use a firestick or an xbox or something. We use an xbox 360 for the one in our 3 seasons room.

3. It's all cloud based. Works well.

• Thanks 1

On 9/25/2020 at 4:34 PM, Gannan said:

1. No AMC, no MLB or NBA network. Everything else yes. I might be able to get some of those if I pay more but I never watch them.

2. Yeah use a firestick or an xbox or something. We use an xbox 360 for the one in our 3 seasons room.

3. It's all cloud based. Works well.

They are on YouTubetv though....

• 3 months later...

Officially get into my Minnesota apartment the end of next week, so coordinating all my services. If I went streaming, AT&T TV would likely be a front runner as their channel guide is identical to DirecTV. Nothing infuriates me more than Comcast/Time Warner/Spectrum/etc. having ESPN be channel 376 yet in the next town over its channel 521 even though the same exact Technician installs the service in both freakin locations! 

However, DirecTV just gives me free programming so I am having a tech come by to get me connected to on the 26th. Less than $9/mo and I get 99% of the channels I would want, HD DVR, receivers in 3 rooms, can STILL use the TNT/MTV/NFL/ESPN/etc.etc. apps to "Stream" all the shows and live content if I want to watch on even more screens or devices. And HBO (due to AT&T cellular) service. 

But continue to tell me about how great your $50 a month fubo and sling and youtubetv are! 

image.thumb.png.d9a8647c2b435eb5e8edf772ad78a23b.png

(ATT &T is Direct TV)

6 hours ago, Agent23 said:

Officially get into my Minnesota apartment the end of next week, so coordinating all my services. If I went streaming, AT&T TV would likely be a front runner as their channel guide is identical to DirecTV. Nothing infuriates me more than Comcast/Time Warner/Spectrum/etc. having ESPN be channel 376 yet in the next town over its channel 521 even though the same exact Technician installs the service in both freakin locations! 

However, DirecTV just gives me free programming so I am having a tech come by to get me connected to on the 26th. Less than $9/mo and I get 99% of the channels I would want, HD DVR, receivers in 3 rooms, can STILL use the TNT/MTV/NFL/ESPN/etc.etc. apps to "Stream" all the shows and live content if I want to watch on even more screens or devices. And HBO (due to AT&T cellular) service. 

But continue to tell me about how great your $50 a month fubo and sling and youtubetv are! 

How's your dvr?

13 hours ago, BFit said:

How's your dvr?

I probably got well over 100hrs of HD programming recorded and maybe am at 50% full (it's still in storage, my stuff all gets delivered by movers next Friday when I get moved into my new apartment).

I think it also allows 4 simultaneous programs to be recorded at once. I know back in 2008 when I first got DTV you could dual record but were forced to be watching one of those 2 channels. 

On 1/14/2021 at 4:42 PM, Agent23 said:

I got off that wagon about 6 months ago my friend! I was starting to pay more for those stupid live streaming sheet then it would cost to just get cable 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

I got off that wagon about 6 months ago my friend! I was starting to pay more for those stupid live streaming sheet then it would cost to just get cable 

:denzel voice: my maaann

• 3 weeks later...

seriously considering youtube tv since i'll still get my sixers' games. anyone here use youtube tv & have an opinion on it? 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mr_hunt said:

seriously considering youtube tv since i'll still get my sixers' games. anyone here use youtube tv & have an opinion on it? 

Love it. Have had it for 3 years and I can't really think of something I'm disappointed in. Games have maybe a 6 second delay over what you would get from cable. A lot of times I'll get texts from Buddy's that are watching the game just after a play ends. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, mr_hunt said:

To replace cable/satellite? Or supplement? 

I've heard good things about it but don't have it myself. 

8 hours ago, NOTW said:

To replace cable/satellite? Or supplement? 

I've heard good things about it but don't have it myself. 

to replace cable. i'm paying close to $300 per month for cable + internet & the service isn't very great either. 

already have netflix, prime video, disney+, hbomax, & about to get peacock...so youtube tv would replace cable & save me roughly $100 per month. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, mr_hunt said:

to replace cable. i'm paying close to $300 per month for cable + internet & the service isn't very great either. 

already have netflix, prime video, disney+, hbomax, & about to get peacock...so youtube tv would replace cable & save me roughly $100 per month. 

Oh ok.  I thought you were a big cable guy and didn't want to switch to streaming.  I know there's a bundle with Disney, Hulu and ESPN that might save money.  We share our streaming with my sister-in-law.  So we end up paying half the cost so that saves us as well.

5 minutes ago, NOTW said:

Oh ok.  I thought you were a big cable guy and didn't want to switch to streaming.  I know there's a bundle with Disney, Hulu and ESPN that might save money.  We share our streaming with my sister-in-law.  So we end up paying half the cost so that saves us as well.

i absolutely have been. main issue for me is sports & the philly station that carries the 76ers games not being available...but it is included with youtube tv..so i'm coming around. hell, 90% of my go-to tv shows are on streaming networks already. 

8 minutes ago, mr_hunt said:

i absolutely have been. main issue for me is sports & the philly station that carries the 76ers games not being available...but it is included with youtube tv..so i'm coming around. hell, 90% of my go-to tv shows are on streaming networks already. 

That's what did it for me, my satellite plan had 1,000 channels and a full DVR but I was watching stuff on streaming.  Since I don't live in the area and can't get Philly sports here that wasn't a factor.  I wish they would make streaming services for local sports, why hasn't anyone done that yet?  I'd love to have a Philly sports streaming service with all the games, interviews, extras.  

44 minutes ago, NOTW said:

That's what did it for me, my satellite plan had 1,000 channels and a full DVR but I was watching stuff on streaming.  Since I don't live in the area and can't get Philly sports here that wasn't a factor.  I wish they would make streaming services for local sports, why hasn't anyone done that yet?  I'd love to have a Philly sports streaming service with all the games, interviews, extras.  

been reading up on youtube tv & i believe their service is location based...in theory, if someone in the philly area had youtube tv, they could share it with you & you would get their philly local stations since they set it up under their location. caveat is that you would need to log in from their location at least once every 90 days or your logon would be disabled...their way of discouraging account sharing. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, mr_hunt said:

been reading up on youtube tv & i believe their service is location based...in theory, if someone in the philly area had youtube tv, they could share it with you & you would get their philly local stations since they set it up under their location. caveat is that you would need to log in from their location at least once every 90 days or your logon would be disabled...their way of discouraging account sharing. 

Does YouTube TV have a limit on how many devices you can be signed in to ??

2 minutes ago, downundermike said:

Does YouTube TV have a limit on how many devices you can be signed in to ??

yes...i believe the limit is 3 (at the same time). that could be an issue if you're sharing an account.  

• Like 1