Should Howie Roseman be Considered For Executive of the Year? (Update: Belichick won)

EazyEaglez

2 minutes ago, D-Shiznit said:

Chicago made and offer, but then pulled it.

Denver checked in, but never made an offer.

Indy was bidding against themselves at the end.

I basically wrote the same thing, and like I wrote earlier the fact that Howie still got Indy to give up a first despite knowing they were bidding against themselves is very impressive.  Like Howie or hate him that's a fleece job. 

• Like 2

He did a great job with draft trades to move back to get an extra 1st from Miami then trade up and still get a top pick in Smith. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

You are truly lost.  

Thanks for your added content and substance.  😂🤣😂 Dope.

14 minutes ago, Perforator said:

Choosing Reagor over Jefferson is a fireable offense, end of story.

2020 pick.

3 minutes ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

Context and substance against someone asking if Howie deserves to be considered for exec of the year?  I think that says all I need to know.  

If you don’t think Howie has attributed himself well in 2021 you’re a dope. 

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, Perforator said:

Choosing Reagor over Jefferson is a fireable offense, end of story.

Gotta agree with that one.  JJAW over DK makes it worse.  My son and I were cracking up when JJAW dropped the TD pass and then got a PI on the very next play.  Too funny.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Miami said:

Gotta agree with that one.  JJAW over DK makes it worse.  My son and I were cracking up when JJAW dropped the TD pass and then got a PI on the very next play.  Too funny.

I’ll ask if a quarterback throws for 2700 yards 10 touchdowns and 13 picks in 2020, but in 2021 throws for 4700 yards 45 touchdowns and 4 picks he shouldn’t be considered for MVP because of what he did in 2020?

Looking through the recent Exec of the year winners a few things stand out:

• Majority had their teams as one of the the top playoff seeds.  
  • A lot of the teams were 1 and done in the playoffs or only won the WC round and lost divisional.
  • Many of the executives were fired a few years later.
  • Some had almost no major acquisitions other than a free agent signing and a decent 1st round pick.
  • Some of the teams weren't dramatically improved record wise from the previous season.

So it doesn't seem that it's much of a meaningful award.  Actually, it makes Howie's 2017 stand out because he made so many key free agent acquisitions, the trade for Ajayi and drafted Derek Barnett who at the time contributed in the Super Bowl.  And the team had the #1 seed in the playoffs.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, EazyEaglez said:

I’ll ask if a quarterback throws for 2700 yards 10 touchdowns and 13 picks in 2020, but in 2021 throws for 4700 yards 45 touchdowns and 4 picks he shouldn’t be considered for MVP because of what he did in 2020?

The only thing Howie deserves is to be shown the door. Don't let it hit you on the way out.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, EazyEaglez said:

There's not really much here to argue because we all see the same thing.  Howie's good at managing the cap and finding 'value' through acquisitions, trades and late draft picks / UDFA's.  No issues there.  But when it comes to higher draft picks, he overthinks it.  The broader issue is that he and Lurie need to stop playing Madden in the executive suite and listen to the scouts who study the players.  Think they already know this because the last draft was better and am hoping this year's draft will be more of the same.

1 hour ago, Miami said:

There's not really much here to argue because we all see the same thing.  Howie's good at managing the cap and finding 'value' through acquisitions, trades and late draft picks / UDFA's.  No issues there.  But when it comes to higher draft picks, he overthinks it.  The broader issue is that he and Lurie need to stop playing Madden in the executive suite and listen to the scouts who study the players.  Think they already know this because the last draft was better and am hoping this year's draft will be more of the same.

So that doesn’t answer the question nor does it mean the people who make the decisions act like Philly fans. You’re bringing total history into a one season award and that’s the problem with the argument against. 

3 hours ago, NOTW said:

Looking through the recent Exec of the year winners a few things stand out:

• Majority had their teams as one of the the top playoff seeds.  
  • A lot of the teams were 1 and done in the playoffs or only won the WC round and lost divisional.
  • Many of the executives were fired a few years later.
  • Some had almost no major acquisitions other than a free agent signing and a decent 1st round pick.
  • Some of the teams weren't dramatically improved record wise from the previous season.

So it doesn't seem that it's much of a meaningful award.  Actually, it makes Howie's 2017 stand out because he made so many key free agent acquisitions, the trade for Ajayi and drafted Derek Barnett who at the time contributed in the Super Bowl.  And the team had the #1 seed in the playoffs.  

Judging by this most people should want him to win the award so he gets fired. 😂

On 1/11/2022 at 3:17 PM, EazyEaglez said:

Who’s been so much better than Howie this off-season that had a better turnaround than the Eagles? 

Bengals?

3 hours ago, Aerolithe_Lion said:

Bengals?

Mike Brown is certainly an option, but so is Howie.I don’t think the award is etched in stone just yet. If Howie’s team could dethrone the former SB champs that would be a huge feather in his cap. By the way I appreciate you answering the question and at a least understanding that this has to do with this season and not brining up past issues that seem to plague so many around here who can’t seem to let it go and think rationally. 

I made a separate post about the Vikings interviewing two Eagles execs for their open GM position.  If the Vikings hire one of them, the Eagles would be awarded with draft picks at the end of the third round in each of the next two drafts.  Those are awarded for developing minority and women GM and head coach talent. That would be an additional data point in Roseman’s favor for 2021 EotY.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, EazyEaglez said:

Mike Brown is certainly an option, but so is Howie.I don’t think the award is etched in stone just yet. If Howie’s team could dethrone the former SB champs that would be a huge feather in his cap. By the way I appreciate you answering the question and at a least understanding that this has to do with this season and not brining up past issues that seem to plague so many around here who can’t seem to let it go and think rationally. 

But on that point I do think previous season issues do impact it for Howie in a positive way. The award is rarely given to a team that went 14-2, and then 12-4 the next season. The fact that Doug’s last year is such a mess is partly Howie’s fault, but for this award it definitely works in his favor.

The reason is that I believe the award reflects expectation crossed with what you have to work with.

The Browns were very popular Super Bowl candidates from the AFC. The Ravens were the reigning division champs from the previous year. Yet the Steelers are the only team in that division to make the playoffs in back to back years. No one in their right mind had Cincinnati finishing anywhere higher than 4th. Yet they were flirting with the No. 1 seed in the conference for the last few weeks.

Versus Philadelphia who retained most of their talent from making the playoffs for 3 consecutive years before last, where you could have blamed that blip on Doug and/or Carson. Cincinnati stuck with a coach who has had back to back terrible years… that’s sticking your neck on the line to say, "I know what I’m doing.”

On top of that, I believe Cincinnati had the far riskier first round pick. While Chase was a popular choice for first receiver off the board, all 3 guys could have gone 5th overall. The highest rated receiver going into the draft is not often the best of that bunch. Julio was drafted after AJ green. At least half of the next 6 WRs taken after Michael Crabtree had better careers. Dez was not the first receiver off the board, neither was Moss, nor Davante Adams, Justin Jefferson, Deandre Hopkins, etc etc. If Smith had failed, the excuse is very easy: the other 2 were taken. But if Chase fails, and Smith or Waddle perseveres…. The FO takes that to the grave.

So the fact that Ja’Marr Chase ALREADY looks like he could turn into one of the greatest of all time is big feather in their cap for this award. I consider myself a Howie Roseman supporter. He’s done an incredible amount of good since becoming GM, and the next guy likely won’t match it. But even saying that, I don’t think he has any shot here.

• Like 1

I thought these awards were already determined prior to the playoffs starting. They are regular season awards, just like MVP, DPOY, OPOY, OROY, DROY, etc. And handed out prior to the SB.

6 hours ago, Devaster said:

I thought these awards were already determined prior to the playoffs starting. They are regular season awards, just like MVP, DPOY, OPOY, OROY, DROY, etc. And handed out prior to the SB.

It's different for executive award. Can't really tell how good of a team you built if it's just based off regular season. 

10 hours ago, Devaster said:

You're right. It's usually around this time mid-January. Like I posted earlier, it's usually gone to teams with high playoff seeding, or a dramatic turnaround to a playoff team. Most winners of this award, their teams didn't go far in playoffs so its not based on post-season success.

If this award was separated into multiple categories.... Howie would get an A+ in Turn around award, C- in drafting award, and a D in building the cohesiveness of the team award.

4 minutes ago, Traveler Vic said:

If this award was separated into multiple categories.... Howie would get an A+ in Turn around award, C- in drafting award, and a D in building the cohesiveness of the team award.

How is Smith, Dickerson, Williams, Gainwell and adding an extra first this year considered a C-?

Taking Reagor over Jefferson should make him ineligible for at least five years.

14 minutes ago, Uscg-green said:

Taking Reagor over Jefferson should make him ineligible for at least five years.

Crying about it has to be so much fun. Eagles don’t have a SB without Howie. Bringing up the past has to be consistent.

1 minute ago, MillerTime said:

Crying about it has to be so much fun. Eagles don’t have a SB without Howie. Bringing up the past has to be consistent.

Winning a SB doesn't give you immunity from being criticized for an obvious bonehead draft pick.