Should Howie Roseman be Considered For Executive of the Year? (Update: Belichick won)

EazyEaglez

1 hour ago, EazyEaglez said:

Even with this loss Howie had a good season. One of the other options was Belicheat and his team got blasted in the first round too. 

Rams GM Les Snead.  Made the trade for their QB despite not having a 1st round pick to trade. Signed OBJ, traded for Von Miller and other pieces.

And obliterated the Cardinals last night.

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, NOTW said:

Rams GM Les Snead.  Made the trade for their QB despite not having a 1st round pick to trade. Signed OBJ, traded for Von Miller and other pieces.

That is a legit option, and frankly much better reason than someone saying he doesn’t deserve it, because he drafted a guy the year prior. 

38 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Agree to disagree there bud. I just don't see it to be honest. He had a good draft but overall I don't think he had a great off season building the roster. Most of his FA moves were not good. 

Most of his free agents weren’t good, but they were all basically scrap heap guys. He didn’t have the money to make a play for anyone good. Of course that is on him due to moves he made though. 

• Haha 1

For all you Howie guys, just announced Brandon Brooks likely to retire.  Once you add Brooks and all the dummy void stuff for guys like Nelson, Eagles soar back into first place with $51,890,633 in dead cap for 2022.

5 minutes ago, downundermike said:

For all you Howie guys, just announced Brandon Brooks likely to retire.  Once you add Brooks and all the dummy void stuff for guys like Nelson, Eagles soar back into first place with $51,890,633 in dead cap for 2022.

Can’t wait to see that trade for Rodgers now. We should have expected this. It seemed fairly obvious he wasn’t coming back one way or another. 

41 minutes ago, downundermike said:

Wonderful! What a stellar job that muppet has done. And people give him credit for his cap management. Deary me. 

1 minute ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Wonderful! What a stellar job that muppet has done. And people give him credit for his cap management. Deary me. 

He used to be good at it in the past, but then started making bad deals, too many LONG term restructures to older guys who end up being paid to be on IR or guys no longer on the team.  it's because he can't draft so he has to keep the veterans going as long as he can, or just kick the can down the road and deal with it later.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NOTW said:

Snead should get it. What he did was pretty remarkable 

6 minutes ago, NOTW said:

He used to be good at it in the past, but then started making bad deals, too many LONG term restructures to older guys who end up being paid to be on IR or guys no longer on the team.  it's because he can't draft so he has to keep the veterans going as long as he can, or just kick the can down the road and deal with it later.

Completely agree with you there. That and actually I think he gets too much credit for doing what a lot of GMs do every year. He manages the cap. 

8 minutes ago, NOTW said:

I could be wrong, but I still believe the long term deals are directly related to the Owner and what he wants over Roseman making these moves. Everything just seemed to change after they lost Dawkins. Now they’re afraid to let anyone go.

11 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

I could be wrong, but I still believe the long term deals are directly related to the Owner and what he wants over Roseman making these moves. Everything just seemed to change after they lost Dawkins. Now they’re afraid to let anyone go.

Well Howie has been learning on the job and trying to figure out how to be a GM and build the organization and changes every couple years.

• They weren't getting over the hump while Reid was here so he tried the Dream Team. 
  • That failed, so the following offseason he immediately extended their own players saying they need to invest in house not just sign free agents
  • He drafted poorly so had to rely on trades and free agency
  • Winning the Super Bowl and exec of the year made him want to run it back with those same guys.  So he extended guys for too long like Jeffrey, Brooks, etc.  Some should have been 1-2 year deals, Jeffrey and Jackson were bad contracts.
  • Then he wanted to get younger but also wanted speed so he got all the speed players instead of BPA and sticking to the board

• Like 3

1 hour ago, downundermike said:

image.gif.46d2a163e87c6b9eb8bb0c64cf7af2e5.gif

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, NOTW said:

74PS.gif

16 hours ago, NOTW said:

Well Howie has been learning on the job and trying to figure out how to be a GM and build the organization and changes every couple years.

• They weren't getting over the hump while Reid was here so he tried the Dream Team. 
  • That failed, so the following offseason he immediately extended their own players saying they need to invest in house not just sign free agents
  • Winning the Super Bowl and exec of the year made him want to run it back with those same guys.  So he extended guys for too long like Jeffrey, Brooks, etc.  Some should have been 1-2 year deals, Jeffrey and Jackson were bad contracts.
  • Then he wanted to get younger but also wanted speed so he got all the speed players instead of BPA and sticking to the board

See..

ac25cfe2-e375-4c00-8d47-785a4321fcaa_tex

Not sure what's so hard to figure out about Howie.  

24 minutes ago, wyote said:

How much of the dead cap money is because of Wentz? 

No dead cap for Wentz in 2022.  Dead cap is 

Malik Jackson - 9 million

Alshon - 5.4 million

Ertz - 3.5 million 

Flacco - 1.9 million

Eric Wilson - 1.3 million

Lovato - 375 k

John Hightower - 150 k

Barnett - 7.2 million

McLeod - 2.14 million

Anthony Harris - 2.4 million

Kerrigan - 1.14 million

Steven Nelson - 1.2 million

Potentially Brandon Brooks - 15.7 million ( unless they designate him a post June 1, then it can be split over 2022 and 2023 )

22 hours ago, NOTW said:

The Jeffery contract and the Fletcher Cox contracts were bad, but what made them worse was Howie extending them for no reason. The Jeffery contract made absolutely no sense, because clearly he was the guy spilling locker room secrets and Howie rewarded him with guaranteed money. Made no sense. In many ways Howie is much worse now as a money guy than he was in the past. 

after giving myself a few days to digest the putrid performance sunday, i for one am glad the eagles lost they way they did. now there can be no delusions about what this team is. 

keep those picks and build a GD defense. 

• 2 weeks later...

I have a hard time giving Howie credit.  This year seems like he'd be rewarded for putting out the raging inferno that he started.  Maybe next year.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, E-A-G-L-E-S Eagles said:

I have a hard time giving Howie credit.  This years seems like he'd be rewarded for putting out the raging inferno that he started.  Maybe next year.

Yup.  Unlike Billy Joel, Howie DID start this fire.  

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, E-A-G-L-E-S Eagles said:

I have a hard time giving Howie credit.  This year seems like he'd be rewarded for putting out the raging inferno that he started.  Maybe next year.

1 hour ago, Iggles_Phan said:

Yup.  Unlike Billy Joel, Howie DID start this fire.  

Howie is like the government. Creates problems then has to fix them and pat himself on the back.

Some of these fans think he does a good job when a backup has to start because of injury and he's just an ok player and celebrate Howie drafting a starter. They're #2 in the league in dead cap $ and guys are like so what there aren't any free agents I want anyway. 

It's getting like the relationship some fans had with Reid, they couldn't imagine anyone else replacing him despite the flaws. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, NOTW said:

Howie is like the government. Creates problems then has to fix them and pat himself on the back.

Some of these fans think he does a good job when a backup has to start because of injury and he's just an ok player and celebrate Howie drafting a starter. They're #2 in the league in dead cap $ and guys are like so what there aren't any free agents I want anyway. 

It's getting like the relationship some fans had with Reid, they couldn't imagine anyone else replacing him despite the flaws. 

Similar to me... I can't afford a $500k-$800k house with 5 bedrooms, 4 bathrooms and all the amenities that comes along with it.    But at the same time, I don't want one like that anyway.  What would I do with all those rooms?  :blink:.  Of course... maybe I convince myself I don't want it, because I can't afford it.

Last offseason, the free agent adds were (in decreasing order of failure):  Eric Wilson, Ryan Kerrigan, Joe Flacco, Anthony Harris.  Best part is... they were all signed to one year deals, and yet the team will get to carry money from these 'one year' deals into the 2022 salary cap.    Just a thought, but maybe just maybe if this team had had just a bit more money available, they'd have been able to get a player or two that would have helped them COMPETE (not even necessarily win) against the top teams they faced in the regular season.  0-7 against playoff teams.   This team won 9 games this season, primarily because they had 10 games against the worst teams in the NFL.  (They lost one to the Giants they should have one, and won one game against a team that ended with a winning record - Saints... while they had the starting QB for that team happened to go 0-4 in the 4 games he started for them.  That wasn't the same team that went 9-4 in the other 13 games.).  This team went 9-1 against the dreck of the league.  They went 0-7 against playoff teams... and frankly got run off the field by most of them.    But, I'm sure that there wasn't a single UFA out there worth anything that might have helped them a little bit in fixing that problem.  Not even one.

11 hours ago, Iggles_Phan said:

Similar to me... I can't afford a $500k-$800k house with 5 bedrooms, 4 bathrooms and all the amenities that comes along with it.    But at the same time, I don't want one like that anyway.  What would I do with all those rooms?  :blink:.  Of course... maybe I convince myself I don't want it, because I can't afford it.

Last offseason, the free agent adds were (in decreasing order of failure):  Eric Wilson, Ryan Kerrigan, Joe Flacco, Anthony Harris.  Best part is... they were all signed to one year deals, and yet the team will get to carry money from these 'one year' deals into the 2022 salary cap.    Just a thought, but maybe just maybe if this team had had just a bit more money available, they'd have been able to get a player or two that would have helped them COMPETE (not even necessarily win) against the top teams they faced in the regular season.  0-7 against playoff teams.   This team won 9 games this season, primarily because they had 10 games against the worst teams in the NFL.  (They lost one to the Giants they should have one, and won one game against a team that ended with a winning record - Saints... while they had the starting QB for that team happened to go 0-4 in the 4 games he started for them.  That wasn't the same team that went 9-4 in the other 13 games.).  This team went 9-1 against the dreck of the league.  They went 0-7 against playoff teams... and frankly got run off the field by most of them.    But, I'm sure that there wasn't a single UFA out there worth anything that might have helped them a little bit in fixing that problem.  Not even one.

Eagles did get a draft pick for Flacco they had no business getting.