Should Howie Roseman be Considered For Executive of the Year? (Update: Belichick won)

EazyEaglez

I think most people often don’t think about the GM situation across the league, myself included. How many teams/GMs consistently put together competitive rosters ever single year? Not many.  Whether you love Howie or hate him, the Eagles have been in the playoffs more often than the vast majority of teams during Roseman’s time as GM. 

14 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

Nevertheless the accolade is for the season and as much as most of us (including me) want Howie gone he still did nearly everything right this off-season. 

yes he did and i for one, hope he fully redeems himself going forward. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, nipples said:

I’ve been critical in the past but Howie nailed it last offseason. Managed to ship out that bum Wentz for a 1st and 3rd, got yet another 1st and still landed Smith in the first. The rest of the draft class looks extremely promising as well with Dickerson, Gainwell, and Milton Williams. Hell, even Tarron Jackson and Patrick Johnson have made small contributions, which isn’t really expected of 6th/7th round picks. 

Now he needs to build on that strong offseason and string together another 2-3 more consecutively.  If he craps the bed with those 3 1s in April that last offseason will be for naught.  

1 minute ago, Mike030270 said:

For fixing his own mess?

F no

For having the guts and creativity to get rid of that puke Wentz, yes. He should get it just for saving us from having to watch what the Colts fans went through and it would have happened.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Next_Up said:

For having the guts and creativity to get rid of that puke Wentz, yes. He should get it just for saving us from having to watch what the Colts fans went through and it would have happened.

who drafted that puke and gave him a horrible contract and left this team in dead cap hell ? 

no, he gets a soild "atta boy" and thats it. for this season anyway. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Next_Up said:

Puke Wentz? How old are you?

Guts and creativity? Wentz wanted to leave and Howie found a trade partner

No. No he should not. Why? Because the defense lacks top end talent and that's because he has neglected the defense for too long.

And whilst the offense has played well this year I put a lot of that on Sirianni and for getting the most out of these players. The offense is good but it doesn't have top play makers despite heavy investment. 

And his FA signings for the most part have not been good this year either. 

This is a team that's outperformed the quality on the roster. The coaches deserve a lot of credit for that but not Howie. He made some good moves, he had a pretty good draft but executive of the year? No not in my book. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Mike030270 said:

Puke Wentz? How old are you?

Guts and creativity? Wentz wanted to leave and Howie found a trade partner

How old am I? you looking for some action or something? Sorry to offend you by pointing out what Wentz was and is. Self centered, non-leader, hero ball dipstick and soon to be a backup. So happy to not have to watch that crap show this year.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, nipples said:

I’ve been critical in the past but Howie nailed it last offseason. Managed to ship out that bum Wentz for a 1st and 3rd, got yet another 1st and still landed Smith in the first. The rest of the draft class looks extremely promising as well with Dickerson, Gainwell, and Milton Williams. Hell, even Tarron Jackson and Patrick Johnson have made small contributions, which isn’t really expected of 6th/7th round picks. 

Not me I don't trust him at all... If he didn't whiff on so many picks I wouldn't be as critical on him but he is horrendous at drafting... We'll see how it goes this April but I wish we had someone better making the picks 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, nipples said:

I’ve been critical in the past but Howie nailed it last offseason

@NOTW we finally nailed it!

• Haha 2

20 minutes ago, Aspiritfall said:

Not me I don't trust him at all... If he didn't whiff on so many picks I wouldn't be as critical on him but he is horrendous at drafting... We'll see how it goes this April but I wish we had someone better making the picks 

This isn’t about trusting Howie or even about if he should or shouldn’t be here anymore. This is about his 2021 season alone. 

I would have to look at other teams and what they have done for the season. Off the top of my head though I don't think @EazyEaglez is that far off. 

A lot of it was fixing his own mess but, he is really good at that lol. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

This isn’t about trusting Howie or even about if he should or shouldn’t be here anymore. This is about his 2021 season alone. 

I get what you are saying I still wouldn't give it to him... I'm stubborn 

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Aspiritfall said:

I get what you are saying I still wouldn't give it to him... I'm stubborn 

I hear ya bud. 😂

22 minutes ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

I would have to look at other teams and what they have done for the season. Off the top of my head though I don't think @EazyEaglez is that far off. 

A lot of it was fixing his own mess but, he is really good at that lol. 

Ironically I think the only other team I would consider is Dallas…… yeah….

1 hour ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

No. No he should not. Why? Because the defense lacks top end talent and that's because he has neglected the defense for too long.

And whilst the offense has played well this year I put a lot of that on Sirianni and for getting the most out of these players. The offense is good but it doesn't have top play makers despite heavy investment. 

And his FA signings for the most part have not been good this year either. 

This is a team that's outperformed the quality on the roster. The coaches deserve a lot of credit for that but not Howie. He made some good moves, he had a pretty good draft but executive of the year? No not in my book. 

Howie got the offensive players and the coach you are giving props to. As far as the defense goes they aren’t as bad as you think. They’re 10th in yards per pass, 11th in pass yards given up, 9th in rush yards given up, and 6th in yards per carry against. Could they be better? Sure. Are they the worst in the league? Not even close. As far as his FA signings go this season well they haven’t been good, but the draft selections have made up for that honestly. Milton Willams is looking like a darn good pick right now. 

15 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

I hear ya bud. 😂

Ironically I think the only other team I would consider is Dallas…… yeah….

They really didn't add anything to their team though. They are successful with the same players they already had other then Parsons

13 minutes ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

They really didn't add anything to their team though. They are successful with the same players they already had other then Parsons

Well Parsons was a big add. They also added Neal. They are probably one of the few teams that had a jump like the Eagles too. Whoever is in charge of the Cowboys I don’t think has done more than Howie has though. 

Just now, EazyEaglez said:

Well Parsons was a big add. They also added Neal. They are probably one of the few teams that had a jump like the Eagles too. Whoever is in charge of the Cowboys I don’t think has done more than Howie has though. 

I think it's mostly Jerry's kid Steve these days. He has done a really good job getting talent. They just can't seem to get a good coach

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

I think it's mostly Jerry's kid Steve these days. He has done a really good job getting talent. They just can't seem to get a good coach

Probably due to his dad’s meddling. They prefer retreads and inside hires who they believe they groomed, but don’t really deserve it over doing to actual homework in finding a coach. Not that I’m shedding a tear for them though.

• Like 1

Not at all. 

He took a SB roster (that he did build) and burned it to the ground. He had a better off-season this year, but we're also extremely fortunate that we played a lot of bottom feeder teams that were also struck with injuries and Covid.

Now if we happen to go on a run miraculously I'd give it more thought, but getting stomped on Sunday would show what a lot of us have been concerned with: 

A poor defense, passing attack or some combination of the two. That wouldn't be 'Executive of the Year' material. 

• Like 1

He had a phenomenal draft and absolutely fleeced two GMs in trades that netted a first round pick each. Also, he hired the best HC of the hiring cycle.

Like others have said, it would depend on what other GMs did as well, but Howie had a great off-season that looks even better now that Wentz crashed and burned so spectacularly.

• Like 1