The Fishing and Hunting Thread

Alpha_TATEr

yeah, i make a venison chili for the tailgate every year. gonna be on new years eve this year. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/14/2023 at 9:48 PM, olsilverhair said:

Rut was bad in my part of Ohio this year

Did you get your fishing or hunting license renewed yet?  I know you're always looking forward to trouser trout and moose knuckle season.  

• Haha 5

Managed to harvest my biggest buck to date today. One of the 3 members of our camp got sick with Covid so we decided to postpone our trip to next weekend. So instead of hunting at camp today I drove to my brothers house and hunted there instead. The neighbor pushed this guy right to me at 3:50 this afternoon. 

IMG_1966.jpeg

IMG_1967.jpeg

• Like 5

well, hit a doe saturday, but i couldn't locate it. 99% sure these C words i ran into stole her. 

• 1 month later...
On 11/27/2023 at 9:09 AM, Alpha_TATEr said:

well, hit a doe saturday, but i couldn't locate it. 99% sure these C words i ran into stole her. 

Ughh...we see low-level BS like that out my way, too.  A friend of mine (before the law dictated where the tag had to reside on a carcass), shot a doe and put the tag inside of her mouth.  When he came back from taking a leak, the carcass was gone.  He ran out to the nearest road and saw some guys pulling what was clearly his deer, but denying it was his/where my friend killed it.  He walked up, opened the deer's mouth and showed them the tag signed with his name on it.  These clowns apparently just dropped the legs they were pulling and walked off like nothing happened. :roll:

• Haha 3

I never realized this was a thing.  I guess it's true that a-holes ruin everything, even in the middle of nowhere in the woods.

1 hour ago, Shepard Wong said:

I never realized this was a thing.  I guess it's true that a-holes ruin everything, even in the middle of nowhere in the woods.

Oh, man.  There was some dude who got caught showing off "his" buck online on his podcast...at the same time a carcass of a nice buck went missing from a local meat locker.  Lots of these mom-and-pop deer processing places still use a 24-hour honor system drop-off, where you fill out a carcass tag with you name/number/basic cut order, and just leave the deer inside the walk-in cooler space until the butcher handles it in the morning.  

Sure enough, this one place where the buck went missing had security cameras, and caught this dope right in the act, up to, and including him loading it in his truck bed.

Here's a different case of a dude stealing someone's hanging deer;

Unsuccessful hunter steals deer shot by someone else, is quickly caught (startribune.com)

• Like 2

On 11/27/2023 at 10:09 AM, Alpha_TATEr said:

We thought that happened to my dad one time on Rothrock State Forest during rifle season. He shot a nice buck and we tracked it to a gut pile about 30 yards from a guy in a tree stand. The guy said the pile was from the 8 pt his son had shot earlier that morning. We back-tracked along the drag marks to where the blood trail intersected them and started doing circles and picked up the trail on the other side of the drag marks and continued tracking it. It was one of the few times I can remember my dad starting to lose his cool as he tried to figure out whether or not the guy was telling the truth. 

On 1/13/2024 at 9:33 AM, Imp81318 said:

We thought that happened to my dad one time on Rothrock State Forest during rifle season. He shot a nice buck and we tracked it to a gut pile about 30 yards from a guy in a tree stand. The guy said the pile was from the 8 pt his son had shot earlier that morning. We back-tracked along the drag marks to where the blood trail intersected them and started doing circles and picked up the trail on the other side of the drag marks and continued tracking it. It was one of the few times I can remember my dad starting to lose his cool as he tried to figure out whether or not the guy was telling the truth. 

yeah its a F'd up thing, but it happens. 

• 2 months later...

so, anyone here ever fish the upper delaware river in new york ? heading to milanville in early may. 

• 2 weeks later...

me and my grandson put a whoopin’ on ‘em today.

F8F73B62-C662-4D43-9109-C505066274C7.jpeg

E8FA8BBB-6A1A-48B0-809D-FB891D5457FC.jpeg

• Like 3

also got a good shot of this Bald Eagle with my grandson’s phone.

18D36D8F-3DC4-47F8-952F-A742ABA91CE0.jpeg

• Like 1

Took my granddaughter out today and caught close to 30 of them. She’s fishing a Texas rig at 9 years old on an el cheap-o spin cast set up with 4 lb mono.

78BE3069-763A-4A5F-8EB6-DE0A154B2D0B.jpeg

• Like 2

13 hours ago, NCTANK said:

Took my granddaughter out today and caught close to 30 of them. She’s fishing a Texas rig at 9 years old on an el cheap-o spin cast set up with 4 lb mono.

78BE3069-763A-4A5F-8EB6-DE0A154B2D0B.jpeg

Not to take anything away from what you're doing, but I think this time of year you could toss pretty much anything in the water and they would eat it, right?  I know up here, I fish a lot of larger streams that feed into the main rivers in our area late April early May while the smallmouth are pre-spawning and it gets crazy.  Fun time of year to fish for sure

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mikemack8 said:

Not to take anything away from what you're doing, but I think this time of year you could toss pretty much anything in the water and they would eat it, right?  I know up here, I fish a lot of larger streams that feed into the main rivers in our area late April early May while the smallmouth are pre-spawning and it gets crazy.  Fun time of year to fish for sure

absolutely mike, they’re all over the banks right now getting ready to spawn. the grandkids are outta school for spring break so we hit the jackpot.

• Like 1

if the weather would ever let up i might be ablet to get out on the river. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...