The Fishing and Hunting Thread

Alpha_TATEr

On 8/25/2023 at 4:24 PM, mr_hunt said:

i laugh because i have lost a rod to a fish. 

• Haha 1
  • Angry 1

going to miss opening weekend of archery in pa because we will be up pulaski for salmon. the dream plan was to hunt in new york, but i didn't research it well enough. i thought it was like it is in pa where archery includes crossbows, but it's bow only until 10/12 and i don't have a bow so it will fishing only. 

was hoping to get a deer and grill a backstrap on the banks as we fish. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/16/2023 at 7:04 PM, olsilverhair said:

Hoping to smash a doe with my elite, deer jerky

Is that what you call your little fella down there?  Get back in your cage, before I chain you up and smash your shriveled up raisins with a spiked bat.  

5 hours ago, hputenis said:

Is that what you call your little fella down there?  Get back in your cage, before I chain you up and smash your shriveled up raisins with a spiked bat.  

Shutup butt sniff, you stupid vegan

• Haha 1

On 9/21/2023 at 4:02 PM, olsilverhair said:

Shutup butt sniff, you stupid vegan

speaking of vegans, your mom sure loves my eggplant. 

enjoy those kisses goodnight, creampie. 

6 hours ago, Alpha_TATEr said:

speaking of vegans, your mom sure loves my eggplant. 

enjoy those kisses goodnight, creampie. 

when you want some strange, just change hands, choir boy

16 hours ago, olsilverhair said:

when you want some strange, just change hands, choir boy

wow, a regurgitated 1950's joke, much like yourself. 

• Haha 1

so, spent two days fishing a couple new spots for salmon in new york over the weekend. instead of hitting the river and dealing with the crowds, we went to orwell creek which is a trib to the salmon river. it feeds into the river at the trestle holes. (btw the trestle is gone) 

the water level was low and the temps were up, but after some hiking we found a couple nice honey holes and i fought about 20 fish. I only landed 2 (lost 1 trying to net it so could've been 3) because we were near beaver damns, and these fish know where to go to get off the line. 

now, time to get things ready to go hunting on friday. 

Resized_2.jpg

IMG_4925.jpg

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Got my first deer of the year yesterday evening, shot a doe with my elite enkore, she piled up on the spot

• 2 weeks later...

Been a busy year so far - been busy with soccer games and what not with my daughter.  Finally made it out last evening for a couple of hours and saw 6 small bucks cruising - things are definitely heating up.  Planning to get out Friday evening and all day Saturday, plus I have off next Friday and should be able to hunt all day next Friday and Saturday as well.  

On 11/1/2023 at 8:55 AM, mikemack8 said:

Been a busy year so far - been busy with soccer games and what not with my daughter.  Finally made it out last evening for a couple of hours and saw 6 small bucks cruising - things are definitely heating up.  Planning to get out Friday evening and all day Saturday, plus I have off next Friday and should be able to hunt all day next Friday and Saturday as well.  

Been out twice. first time i missed a nice doe. bolt hit a tiny branch and sailed high. 2nd time i didnt see anything but turkey running around and flying very badly from tree to tree. couple above my stand. unfortunately turkey season hadnt started in 4B yet. seriously i never seen turkey fly like that. not very graceful on the landings, at all.

gonna try to get out somewhere local this weekend since i didnt get picked for the tyler park hunt. i have a doe tag to use and my buddy knows a few spots here and there in langhorne and up towards wrightstown. 

• Like 1

Question for you guys that have had both, how does elk meat compare to venison? My brother took my niece on an elk hunt and she actually got one so now they have a F ton of elk meat in their freezer and asking if I want some. Problem is, outside of backstraps, I don't really care for venison (way too lean). I don't mind a bit of a gamey taste, I eat lamb, rabbit, duck etc, but I don't care for quail and sometimes the venison I've had can have a weird chalky, almost liver-like texture. Is elk meat similar or is it a different enough flavor that I should take a bunch off their hands?

4 minutes ago, we_gotta_believe said:

Question for you guys that have had both, how does elk meat compare to venison? My brother took my niece on an elk hunt and she actually got one so now they have a F ton of elk meat in their freezer and asking if I want some. Problem is, outside of backstraps, I don't really care for venison (way too lean). I don't mind a bit of a gamey taste, I eat lamb, rabbit, duck etc, but I don't care for quail and sometimes the venison I've had can have a weird chalky, almost liver-like texture. Is elk meat similar or is it a different enough flavor that I should take a bunch off their hands?

Elk meat is really good.  I shot one in Colorado in 2022 and we cooked up some of the tenderloin over a fire that night - reminded me of filet mignon.  If it was a bull that she shot, I would stay away from the neck meat cause it would taste really gamey this time of year.  But texture and flavor wise, it's as close to beef as it is to venison IMO.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mikemack8 said:

Elk meat is really good.  I shot one in Colorado in 2022 and we cooked up some of the tenderloin over a fire that night - reminded me of filet mignon.  If it was a bull that she shot, I would stay away from the neck meat cause it would taste really gamey this time of year.  But texture and flavor wise, it's as close to beef as it is to venison IMO.  

If it's got more of a beef flavor than venison does, I'll give it a shot. Thanks man.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, we_gotta_believe said:

i have only had elk in burger form so that isnt really a good gauge to make a comparison on texture, but it tasted pretty much the same to me. 

beyond the backstrap and some stewing meat (rump & shank), i am getting my deer processed for ground meat, sausage and other things. the venison product list that ely's has is so good. 

• Like 1

Just now, we_gotta_believe said:

If it's closer to beef than venison, I'll give it a shot. Thanks man.

Yeah I mean you may disagree but to me it's kinda right in the middle - way better than venison but still not as good as beef.  

• Like 1

for the hell of it, here is ely's venison package list 

A. ”PICK ONE”:

• Plain Burger ($135 pkg)
  • Burger w/ Pork ($145 pkg)
  • Burger w/Bacon ($145pkg)
  • Breakfast Sausage-bagged ($155 pkg)NEW
  • Sweet Italian Sausage ($155 pkg)
  • Hot Italian Sausage ($155 pkg)
  • Deer "Pork” Roll ($170 pkg)
  • Kielbasa ($170 pkg)
  • Honey Bologna ($170 pkg)
  • Bologna ($170 pkg)
  • Bologna w/Cheese ($185 pkg)

B.”PICK 2”:

($190 pkg) * Batch processed items- may take a little longer

• Plain Burger
  • Burger w/ Pork
  • Burger w/Bacon
  • Sweet Italian Sausage
  • Hot Italian Sausage
  • Deer "Pork” Roll
  • Kielbasa
  • Honey Bologna
  • Bologna
  • Bologna w/Cheese
  • Snack Sticks*
  • BBQ Snack Sticks*
  • Snack Sticks w/Cheese*
  • Hot Rods(Habanero Sticks)*
  • Teriyaki sticks *
  • Hot Dogs*
  • Hot Dogs w/ Cheese*
  • Hot Dogs w/Jalapeno Cheese*
  • Sweet & Spicy Cheese Links*
  • Smoked Tennessee (Sage) Sausage*
  • Venison Bacon*
  • BBQ (Pulled "Pork” Venison)*
  • Seasoned Patties*
  • Reconstructed Jerky*
  • Pepperoni *

C. "Pick 4”-Choose up to 4 Items: 

($195 pkg) * Batch processed items- may take a little longer

• Snack Sticks*
  • BBQ Snack Sticks*
  • Snack Sticks w/Cheese*
  • Hot Rods(Habanero Sticks)*
  • Teriyaki sticks *
  • Hot Dogs*
  • Hot Dogs w/ Cheese*
  • Hot Dogs w/Jalapeno Cheese*
  • Sweet & Spicy Cheese Links*
  • Smoked Tennessee (Sage) Sausage*
  • Venison Bacon*
  • BBQ (Pulled "Pork” Venison)*
  • Reconstructed Jerky*
  • Pepperoni *

Chops (Loins) are included in these packages, if requested.

Extras:

• Minute Steaks-$20
  • Steaks/Roasts-$10/hind
  • Jerky-$40/hind (ready in spring)
  • Dried "Beef” Venison-$40/hind (ready in spring)
  • Seasoned Chops/Loins-$10
  • Cape Out-$35
  • BIG DEER CHARGE- If your deer trim is over 50 pounds, you will be assessed an additional "Big Deer Charge” of $35

4 minutes ago, mikemack8 said:

Yeah I mean you may disagree but to me it's kinda right in the middle - way better than venison but still not as good as beef.  

Meant to say if it's got more of a beef flavor than venison, then it's worth a shot. If it's more or less the same as venison tastes, then I'd probably pass. I'll be seeing him this weekend or next, so wanted to give him a rough idea of how much to set aside. I'll start with a couple pounds for now to see what it's like.

• Like 1

I could be partial too - after you shoot one, dress it in the field, and then carry 100 pounds of the meat on your back, back to camp, ANYTHING is gonna taste amazing LOL  

• Haha 2

39 minutes ago, we_gotta_believe said:

Elk is generally fattier than venison. Like others said, it’s sort of a middle ground between beef and venison as far as gaminess. Texture will depend on cut, health, and age of animal, but generally the higher fat translates to something a little closer to beef than venison is.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, TEW said:

Elk is generally fattier than venison. Like others said, it’s sort of a middle ground between beef and venison as far as gaminess. Texture will depend on cut, health, and age of animal, but generally the higher fat translates to something a little closer to beef than venison is.

Good, maybe this means I won't have to bathe the steaks in ridiculous amounts of butter of beef tallow like I have to do with venison.

1 minute ago, we_gotta_believe said:

Good, maybe this means I won't have to bathe the steaks in ridiculous amounts of butter of beef tallow like I have to do with venison.

Yeah, I’ve had it on a grill and thought it was fine. I did grow up eating a fair bit of venison though, so my palate might be adjusted.

Agreed on venison — was never my favorite. Back straps and sausage was the only thing I ever really enjoyed. It’s also good in chili if you want a leaner high protein dish that masks the gaminess.

I haven’t done an elk chili, but if it’s still a bit gamy for you and you find yourself with a lot of meat, try it.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, TEW said:

Yeah, I’ve had it on a grill and thought it was fine. I did grow up eating a fair bit of venison though, so my palate might be adjusted.

Agreed on venison — was never my favorite. Back straps and sausage was the only thing I ever really enjoyed. It’s also good in chili if you want a leaner high protein dish that masks the gaminess.

I haven’t done an elk chili, but if it’s still a bit gamy for you and you find yourself with a lot of meat, try it.

Yeah I don't mind venison chili either, or even tacos sometimes. But if I have to mix it with a bunch of fat or another meat entirely to make sausages with it, then I kinda find myself just wanting to eat actual pork sausage instead. Kinda like a bison burger, it's not bad for what it is, but after a few bites I'm like, "this would be a lot better if it was a real burger." I don't eat lamb burgers for the same reason, but I'll crush a rack of lamb chops no problem and never find myself wishing it was a different meat.

For health reasons, I totally get it. But for flavor/texture reasons, I'm not a venison guy at all even though most everyone else in my family is.

• Like 1