The Fishing and Hunting Thread

Alpha_TATEr

• 2 months later...
On 1/12/2023 at 12:01 PM, greend said:

Wanted to share this years Pa rifle buck

13641.jpeg

Nice job, man.  PA is a tough state to hunt, particularly on public.  Great job getting it done.

• Like 1

I never posted my PA buck this year either - No trophy but I did get him from 350 yards out so that was the accomplishment 

79439084-E56C-4F23-BEFA-6448CD24EC37.jpeg

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Northwest MI and UP trip for this summer now starting to come into focus.  The wives are along and we will get two days fishing, two golfing, and the rest all the nature/cultural stuff (lots of MI micros and maybe some wacky tobaccy thrown in there as well :-) ).

So, the important stuff.  Looks like we are doing one day of fishing out of Muskegon MI.  The other guy is looking into that one.  He's one of those dudes with some financial means who takes two or three trips a year all over to fish.  His latest fishing trips were to Alaska, Norway, and Madeira.  I'm guessing he is looking to get out on a charter boat into Lake Michigan but I guess it could be the other way with him wanting to travel up a river to fly fish.  The other fishing day will up in the UP.  I'm wondering if anyone in here has ever fished up there in the UP and has any tips.  I know they have some serious Muskie fishing up there which might be fun.

As for me, I'm your typical total hack who grew up learning to fish with his grandfather.  I've only kept it up as an adult sporadically here and there.  Normally just a couple mornings/evenings fishing each summer for perch and pike at our cabin up off the East Coast of Sweden into the Baltic.  Has more of a Maine lake feel as we are in some Islands though the water is brackish.  Other than that, it is all depending if I get on a trip somewhere which hasn't happened now for a couple of years so I'm really looking forward to this one.

All help is much appreciated.

• Like 1

On 1/17/2023 at 4:30 PM, mikemack8 said:

I never posted my PA buck this year either - No trophy but I did get him from 350 yards out so that was the accomplishment 

79439084-E56C-4F23-BEFA-6448CD24EC37.jpeg

i cant post my buck ... long story. 

• Haha 1

F it, i guess i can. 

so, first year rifle, up in a tree stand about 25ft up on a steep hill behind our mountain spot. doe and a buck come up to the left of me, about 75yrds off. they are facing broadside to me with the buck behind. i went to take the shot at the doe and i forgot to take the safety off, when i did she heard the click and went to run. i shot and im assuming i missed the doe, but i nailed the buck through the neck and he dropped in place.

see if you can see why i didnt want to shoot the buck. 

Buck.jpg

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/3/2023 at 1:54 PM, Alpha_TATEr said:

F it, i guess i can. 

so, first year rifle, up in a tree stand about 25ft up on a steep hill behind our mountain spot. doe and a buck come up to the left of me, about 75yrds off. they are facing broadside to me with the buck behind. i went to take the shot at the doe and i forgot to take the safety off, when i did she heard the click and went to run. i shot and im assuming i missed the doe, but i nailed the buck through the neck and he dropped in place.

see if you can see why i didnt want to shoot the buck. 

Buck.jpg

11 pt

• 3 weeks later...
5 hours ago, mikemack8 said:

Good luck to all that are out in this mess today like I am 

What are you doing today, Mike? I will assume some Hunting? Or Fishing?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, LacesOut said:

What are you doing today, Mike? I will assume some Hunting? Or Fishing?

First day of trout in PA - it sucked :lol: 

• Haha 1

So did you catch anything, Mike?

I ask this because I know nothing of Fishing — if you did catch some, is it catch and release, or catch and eat? 

On 4/1/2023 at 7:09 PM, mikemack8 said:

First day of trout in PA - it sucked :lol: 

Least you were out there giving it a go

3 hours ago, LacesOut said:

So did you catch anything, Mike?

I ask this because I know nothing of Fishing — if you did catch some, is it catch and release, or catch and eat? 

I didn’t catch a fish - very slow day.  

• Sad 1
  • Angry 1

40 minutes ago, mikemack8 said:

I didn’t catch a fish - very slow day.  

Well that sucks. 

• Like 1

A little late on this but my daughter got her first during youth rifle season.  It was me, my pops and her.  Last light shot where she had to shuffle to a different position.  She placed a perfect shot off platform.

IMG_8427.thumb.jpg.1508af7ca3fa7d5b68c49f9f15cfb020.jpg

• Like 3

nice. 

i got four trout the other day at Levittown lake. every fish in there is at least 14in. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
54 minutes ago, MIRV Griffen said:

Great to se you get the kids out for some early success!

A key to having people that grow up liking to fish plus it is a great parent/child bonding activity.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, DrPhilly said:

A key to having people that grow up liking to fish plus it is a great parent/child bonding activity.

Amen to that!

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/5/2023 at 7:39 PM, NCTANK said:

here’s a chubby girl from this afternoon 

0EF65914-5C87-4F40-9E0A-BB2363121437.jpeg

nice

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

here’s a couple more from last weekend. first is a 2+ lb spotted bass, then a 3+ largemouth 

43AEE418-5F9A-445F-9576-E5F4562F9571.jpeg

84DBAD33-C00C-4AF4-B9F9-3EAC581F7F79.jpeg

• Like 4