Any QBs on this list you'd be excited to see in Eagles Green on Sundays?

Uscg-green

On 2/3/2022 at 4:35 PM, time2rock said:

It wouldn’t make any sense to bring any of them in … none are any better than what we already have.  

I really want two things but they can’t coexist.  I want to see Hurts in year 2 (for those ready to throw it back that he is entering year 3 and had 4 starts under Pederson yeah yeah whatever) to see how much improvement (if any) he made.  I also would love to see what Minshew could do with a full season.  Tough situation to be in.  

What does Hurts’ contract say he is?  Entering Year 3 — which means he’ll have little to zero value a year from today with the same pedestrian performance.

Make the switch now.  Find a team dumb enough to offer a 3rd round pick for Hurts, because at this time next year the best offer will be a 6th — at best 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 2/3/2022 at 6:35 PM, time2rock said:

It wouldn’t make any sense to bring any of them in … none are any better than what we already have.  

I really want two things but they can’t coexist.  I want to see Hurts in year 2 (for those ready to throw it back that he is entering year 3 and had 4 starts under Pederson yeah yeah whatever) to see how much improvement (if any) he made.  I also would love to see what Minshew could do with a full season.  Tough situation to be in.  

You and I are on exactly the same page. I think there is an absence of another real option. Hurts critics are "wishing" for another option but they know there isn't at this moment. Maybe a QB prospect in this draft will emerge as a real option - I've posted before that teams need to trust their ability to draft - if they don't draft well they are sunk anyway - so if the Eagles identify a QB they really believe in then they should absolutely draft him. But no wish casting - just because you need/want a QB doesn't mean one will appear. I'm a Hurts fan because he is an Eagle - I want him to make a leap of improvement this off season (and I believe he "can"). I want to play it out because I believe it's the best option for the Eagles, I also believe the coaches and scouts know better than me so I wouldn't  be surprised or upset if they chose to go in a different direction,

Looking at the list there are no projected FA that would tangibly improve the team. There are no veteran QBs possibly available by trade that I would be interested in considering the cap impact and the draft capital that would be required to acquire them.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Nivraga said:

You and I are on exactly the same page. I think there is an absence of another real option. Hurts critics are "wishing" for another option but they know there isn't at this moment.

For me there's one key thing I want this organisation to do. Do not force a move for a QB. If they look at Pickett and they love Pickett and he falls to them then ok sure pick him. If they can get him with a small trade up and they are absolutely in on him then ok yeah. Same really with any of the top draft guys. Just don't force a move. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

For me there's one key thing I want this organisation to do. Do not force a move for a QB. If they look at Pickett and they love Pickett and he falls to them then ok sure pick him. If they can get him with a small trade up and they are absolutely in on him then ok yeah. Same really with any of the top draft guys. Just don't force a move. 

How would you know if they are forcing a move or not? When they take a player you don't want? Will that be forcing a move? 

• Like 1

I looked at the list, realized I ran out of toilet paper and decided to use the list as a substitute. That's the best way of saying what I thought of the players on the list. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

How would you know if they are forcing a move or not? When they take a player you don't want? Will that be forcing a move? 

I mean we as fans won't I guess. I just don't want to see them get desperate and give up a huge amount.

13 hours ago, Alphagrand said:

What does Hurts’ contract say he is?  Entering Year 3 — which means he’ll have little to zero value a year from today with the same pedestrian performance.

Make the switch now.  Find a team dumb enough to offer a 3rd round pick for Hurts, because at this time next year the best offer will be a 6th — at best 

Yeah, and what sucked about this year is the 7th playoff spot and crappy opponents kinda warped everything. It made it much harder for them to move on from Hurts since he made the "playoffs". Now they pretty much have no choice but to give him another year. 

Look as an Eagles fan and like everyone else, I really wish a miracle happens and Hurts vastly improves, but I just don't have much hope of that happening.

10 hours ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

A lot of fans seemed to "know" that the Eagles took Hurts a round too early. Like most I didn't like the Hurts pick because I thought there were other prospects on the board more likely to improve the team. But more than anything I was confused by the pick (a completely different conversation). I never thought they were forcing anything.

It's really odd how you can simply feel when that's happening even from afar. I guess it has to do with the consensus scouting of a player and the capital used to acquire him. Like when Ray Rhodes et al took Jon Harris in the first round - right after a run on the top DE talent. Huge reach for a player of need - forcing the issue instead of just moving on to the next BPA. The draft is about talent acquisition - you don't know what you will need in 3 years so take the BPA and move on.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Nivraga said:

A lot of fans seemed to "know" that the Eagles took Hurts a round too early. Like most I didn't like the Hurts pick because I thought there were other prospects on the board more likely to improve the team. But more than anything I was confused by the pick (a completely different conversation). I never thought they were forcing anything.

It's really odd how you can simply feel when that's happening even from afar. I guess it has to do with the consensus scouting of a player and the capital used to acquire him. Like when Ray Rhodes et al took Jon Harris in the first round - right after a run on the top DE talent. Huge reach for a player of need - forcing the issue instead of just moving on to the next BPA. The draft is about talent acquisition - you don't know what you will need in 3 years so take the BPA and move on.

I agree on the Hurts pick, I didn't like it but that was definitely who the Eagles had on their board as the BPA. 

The best player available talks get annoying to a certain extent. In most cases the BPA is in an area of need. Being that we have no clue what's on their board we don't know if that was their best player available.

Like you said you can kind feel when they are reaching on a player or doing something cute lol. 

On 2/5/2022 at 11:48 AM, ManchesterEagle said:

Look, I like Minshew, but if he was so good, why could the Jags not get more than a 6th for him? Forget where he was drafted, as you say he's had over 20 starts and the league scouts will have lots of tape on him.

Yes - Hurts needs to improve his passing, But Wilson is, or was a dual threat QB. The two times he did get to the Super Bowl (and they should have won both of them), the Seahawks were built around a great D and a relatively conservative offense that used Lynch and Wilson's legs to move the chains. Wilson ran for nearly 1400 yards over those two regular seasons.

Hurts is not Wilson and I'm not sure if he can improve his passing sufficiently to be the long term answer here (but it's not nearly as bad as some on this board make out)

But anyway we are both agreed that unless an incredible option comes out of nowhere, we are best rolling with Hurts this year and trying to get extra picks for the 2023 draft so we have options to replace him.

I truly believe that even NFL GMs look at where a guy was drafted and consider it too much when making personnel decisions.  The Jags HAD to take a QB like Lawrence....or the criticism and scrutiny would have haunted them for years.  And the rest of the NFL knew it and they weren't about to offer much for a guy who wasn't going to get a chance to win the starting job.

And I believe the NFL GMs and coaches get too enamored with the "dual threat" crap, whether or not a guy has a cannon or what his "upside" "might" be.

I'm not suggesting Minshew is the next tom brady, but for a guy who played very good football for a terrible coach and team with limited skill players around him, he deserves a shot at starting.  But again, his draft position and the misconceptions about his physical ability will not only hamper his career, but likely make him bounce from team to team without ever getting a shot.  He got a shot in jacksonville due to Foles injury.....and look at his numbers.  If Trevor Lawrence did that, he would have been in the running for rookie of the year.

Young QBs need time.....the higher you're picked, the more time you get.  The eagles need to give Hurts the time to progress, but if he gets hurt, I think fans and media will be surprised at how well Minshew runs the team and utilizes the skill players around him.  BUT, anything short of a super bowl and the eagles will be looking at another QB because Minshew doesn't fit the narrative.

On 2/3/2022 at 2:01 PM, Uscg-green said:

Minshew has a better arm. But how about we draft a franchise QB?

No he doesn't. He may be more accurate, but his arm isn't stronger. No, we don't need to draft a franchise QB in this draft. We need defensive players

Not excited but would prefer any of these as a stopgap for a year until we get a QB

Minshew, Mariota, Bridgewater, Foles, Carr, Winston. Minshew would be the cheapest though

On 2/6/2022 at 4:05 AM, Talonblood said:

I looked at the list, realized I ran out of toilet paper and decided to use the list as a substitute. That's the best way of saying what I thought of the players on the list. 

Unfortunately I would add Hurts to that list of undesirables. We got him now, so staying put probably makes the most sense. 

• Like 1

Nope. 

On 2/2/2022 at 2:36 PM, What The F said:

Foles is better then every name on that list.  

Agreed. 

• Like 3

On 2/5/2022 at 2:06 PM, Alphagrand said:

How many years in Sirianni's offense?

20 minutes ago, Nivraga said:

How many years in Sirianni's offense?

Too many.  Hurts failed miserably during the first 7 games running Sirianni’s offense.  To Sirianni’s credit, he dumbed down the offense to suit Hurts’ limited skill set as a passer.  While the Eagles were winning games in the back half of the season by running over the weaker portion of their schedule I said there’s a ceiling to it.  Good teams and good defenses are not going to allow you to run for 200+ yards to beat them — they will have to win in the passing game to beat good teams.

The first time they met a playoff team in the wildcard round, what happened?  The Bucs stacked the LOS, choked off the run game, and the Eagles had 0 points in the 4th quarter.  As for Hurts — 23/43 (53%) throwing the ball, 2 INT.  As terrible as 53% is, his performance was actually far worse than that.  Sirianni ran a bunch of easy completions for Hurts — 12/12 on passes caught behind the LOS.  Hurts was 11/31 on throws past the LOS.  11/31!

11/31 …. Just absolutely awful.  Cannot win with a QB who cannot throw the ball.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Alphagrand said:

11/31 …. Just absolutely awful.  Cannot win with a QB who cannot throw the ball.

Just setting himself up to be the next Josh Allen!!! 

I guess fans would prefer the guy that lost to Jacksonville to get into the playoffs last season 😂

We got smoked by the Bucs and if you were shocked by that, then you didn't really pay attn to this team all season.  

*edit I was corrected about losing twice

20 hours ago, eaglegenius said:

Bridgewater is the only one worth considering on that list. And maybe Trubisky.

Worth considering for what role … long term starter?  Bridge starter?  If the latter then it makes no sense to not just roll with Hurts as your bridge starter for a season or 2 since you’re not getting any better at the position but will be chewing up more of the cap on either (compared to what we’re paying Hurts on his rookie contract).  

So the Hurts lovers wanted to bury this discussion off the main thread. Gotcha.