Bijan Robinson (Texas RB) -- DRAFTED BY ATLANTA #8

NJWolverEagle11

I wouldn’t mind with the second first, but not the first one. I do think the NFL is on a verge of a running back resurgence soon though. Eventually the analytics people will start realizing that far more good things happen when you consistently run the ball than when you constantly throw it. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Well, we are 10 now ... Robinson would make a little more sense there as we are likely to miss out on the top DLinemen. Now, if we kick Saint butt next weekend, we'll could be right back inside the top 10.

2 hours ago, Rey said:

Well, we are 10 now ... Robinson would make a little more sense there as we are likely to miss out on the top DLinemen. Now, if we kick Saint butt next weekend, we'll could be right back inside the top 10.

We have bigger reasons to kick on the saints

I think if we fall in the 8-13 range Bijan should be the top target in that range. Unless a top DL or Kelee Ringo is still available at our first pick. Bijan is a homerun hitter and a vast upgrade over Miles Sanders in my humble opinion

• Like 1

2 hours ago, philafan4o8 said:

I think if we fall in the 8-13 range Bijan should be the top target in that range. Unless a top DL or Kelee Ringo is still available at our first pick. Bijan is a homerun hitter and a vast upgrade over Miles Sanders in my humble opinion

I know I’m in the minority here but I just don’t see the allure of Robinson. I’d rather pass on him and draft Jahmyr Gibbs a little later on. Gibbs is so explosive, the acceleration he has, the moves, he can cut on a dime, he has it all for a RB in today’s game. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/2/2022 at 9:11 AM, NJWolverEagle11 said:

Obviously crazy talented but do you think teams will value rb like that after guys like Zeke, Saquon, Gurley, McCaffrey?

There was a long list of guys before Zeke, Saquon, Gurley, and McCaffrey that were cautionary tales.  Yet they all went high round 1.  Round 1 RBs are always a bad idea, but there will always be some GMs out there who think they can find marginal value at a neglected position by getting the best RB in the draft in round 1.

On 12/29/2022 at 7:26 PM, Road to Victory said:

I know I’m in the minority here but I just don’t see the allure of Robinson. I’d rather pass on him and draft Jahmyr Gibbs a little later on. Gibbs is so explosive, the acceleration he has, the moves, he can cut on a dime, he has it all for a RB in today’s game. 

I respectfully disagree. When it comes to cutting on a dime, making people miss, and powering through tacklers that is Bijan #1 and everyone else #3. Gibbs is a good prospect dont get me wrong but Bijan is the superior prospect. He may look like he is running in slow motion but his movement it so smooth and he is a patient runner. Gibbs may be the better receiving back but Bijan is solid in that category and a superior pass protector when it comes to blitz pickup.

On 1/11/2023 at 11:12 PM, eagle45 said:

There was a long list of guys before Zeke, Saquon, Gurley, and McCaffrey that were cautionary tales.  Yet they all went high round 1.  Round 1 RBs are always a bad idea, but there will always be some GMs out there who think they can find marginal value at a neglected position by getting the best RB in the draft in round 1.

I wouldn‘t say always a bad idea but it should be very low on your list of priorities. If you have a very complete team a star RB could pay off.

Back on topic: I think he is a good player and would help us. I don‘t think we should draft him with the #10, probably not even with #31. And I too like Gibbs more for us anyways.

Keep seeing him mocked to the eagles with our second 1st rd pick

34 minutes ago, Godfather said:

Keep seeing him mocked to the eagles with our second 1st rd pick

I figure somebody jumps in the 20s (BUF, CIN, DAL)... not us.

26 minutes ago, Waiting4Someday said:

I figure somebody jumps in the 20s (BUF, CIN, DAL)... not us.

Cincy has Mixion and Dallas has Zeke tho

22 hours ago, Godfather said:

Cincy has Mixion and Dallas has Zeke tho

I don't think either is worth their contract, Mixon's final year can be cut for cap savings.  Dallas is likely tied to Zeke for one more year, but he is splitting significant time now with Pollard who will be a free agent.  Personally, CIN/DAL might be better off going OL or DB but it's a BPA call mixed with a degree of need.

In any case, I don't think we are seriously considering RB in the 1st - I wouldn't hate it, but would rather tradeback and get Charbonnet later + another player.

I definitely prefer Jahmyr Gibbs in the 2nd than Robinson at 31.

I can see the logic in taking Robinson at 31. #10 is completely out of the question, but at 31 he’s a plug and play RB who could probably be a pro bowler as a rookie behind this OL.

So the question for me isn’t so much about Robinson, but the utility of that 5th year cost controlled team option that comes with a first round pick. In a vacuum, getting 5 years of pro bowl play from #31 is really good value. And we shouldn’t really consider the 2nd contract because that’s a completely different opportunity cost.

So the opportunity cost is really the 5th year of cost control on a RB vs on another position and the likelihood of each player being a good starter or better. I think Robinson would clearly win the likelihood of being a good (or better) starter vs any other player available at #31. You’re just not going to get a high probability pro bowl level starter at DL or OT or CB that late. Robinson is that guy. But on the other hand, a cost controlled 5th year at DL or OT or QB or even CB is worth a lot more. And at #31 there are going to be DL with pro bowl level upside.

The other issue is a holdout. Suppose you draft Robinson and he’s everything you expect. Is he going to play a cost controlled 5th year or demand a new deal? If I’m a RB who has made 2 or 3 pro bowls going into my 5th year, I’m holding out. There’s just too much to lose. So would we even get the benefit?

In the end, I think Robinson at 31 is fine, but you have to do it knowing you’re going to let him walk after his 5th year. And even then I think I’d rather take a DL and try to get Gibbs in the 2nd and another RB later in the draft.

For me, Gibbs is a guy who can be a pro bowler behind this OL and be dynamic in the passing game the way Westbrook was — splitting out in the slot and being a true matchup problem who can beat corners running WR routes. Combine that with a true dual threat QB, and it’s a really dangerous offense. Plus you get the upside of the 5th year on a DL and hedge your risk with another RB late rather than have all your eggs in one basket.

On 12/29/2022 at 8:26 PM, Road to Victory said:

Plus he’s a legitimate threat as a WR. There are a lot of RBs who are good receivers out of the backfield, but RBs who can split out wide and run WR routes at a level where they get open consistently against DBs are rare.

Gibbs is that guy. You combine that with Hurts’ ability to run and pass, and we have a new dynamic in this offense. Plus you could trade down from 31, get some extra mid round picks, and grab another RB in the 4th or 5th who might also have starting level ability (or at least be a high quality contributor in a rotation).

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/1/2022 at 4:23 PM, NJWolverEagle11 said:

Well anything can change in a year but Breece Hall and Kenneth Walker went rd 2 if I recall w over 1500 yds last year.

If Robinson has a year similar to last let's say 1100 to 1200 yds I think he can be had in rd 2 (maybe even later). But hey lots of time for lots of stuff to happen between now and then 

It's kinda hard to judge some players during their last year in college because they're protecting their future against injury, with that said, I watched several of his games this year and I wasn't impressed.

He spent the entire games I viewed trying to avoid contact, not physical at all and his long speed isn't anything to write home about.

Bottom line, a back's running style is his running style and the Eagles don't need that running style, our roster has that already has his style, we need a back or that that doesn't go down on initial contact.

1 hour ago, EagleVA said:

It's kinda hard to judge some players during their last year in college because they're protecting their future against injury, with that said, I watched several of his games this year and I wasn't impressed.

He spent the entire games I viewed trying to avoid contact, not physical at all and his long speed isn't anything to write home about.

Bottom line, a back's running style is his running style and the Eagles don't need that running style, our roster has that already has his style, we need a back or that that doesn't go down on initial contact.

I agree, he’s not fast or explosive. Not a Derrick Henry power back. I’m not sure what type of back he’ll be. His legs look short and skinny and he tip-toes around. He’s a short strider. I just don’t see it. 

On 2/1/2023 at 10:23 PM, Road to Victory said:

I agree, he’s not fast or explosive. Not a Derrick Henry power back. I’m not sure what type of back he’ll be. His legs look short and skinny and he tip-toes around. He’s a short strider. I just don’t see it. 

Cowboy probably.

On 1/11/2023 at 5:12 PM, eagle45 said:

100% agree. RB careers are far too short and injury riddled to take one in the first round, and they’re rarely worth even paying beyond their rookie contract. 

Unfortunately I don't think they have the luxury to take a back high with so many from the defense likely gone. Critical positions in the secondary and DL. Howie stacked this roster so nice... damn shame they wasted the opportunity.

• Like 1

Would he be a reach at 10? Is it crazy to pass on him at 30 if he's still there? Seems like there hasn't been this much hype since Saquan.

38 minutes ago, Portyansky said:

Would he be a reach at 10? Is it crazy to pass on him at 30 if he's still there? Seems like there hasn't been this much hype since Saquan.

He may go top 10. Arguably the best player in the draft from what I've been seeing so far.

2 hours ago, judunno said:

He may go top 10. Arguably the best player in the draft from what I've been seeing so far.

I'm really liking that Jahmyr Gibbs kid too. Seems way more explosive. Only time I pay any attention to college is during the offseason for draft, so I could be off. I think Jahmyr is an early 2nd or late 1st. So maybe if Robinson is off the board and they like Gibbs, they might pull the trigger. Would be interesting us drafting a RB in the 1st

3 hours ago, Portyansky said:

Don’t get me wrong, Saquan and Zeke were hyped up big but none of them were AP. I think Bijan is the best RB prospect since AP imo. I personally don’t think he is reach at 10 but we know we don’t draft RBs in round 1.

although Howie did admit in Speak (TV Show) that the year McCoy came out, it was between him and Maclin for their 1st round pick. They said only reason they didn’t draft McCoy in 1st was because of combine. Howie might go Bijan but highly unlikely at 10. Maybe if they traded back which is also unlikely

3 minutes ago, philafan4o8 said:

Don’t get me wrong, Saquan and Zeke were hyped up big but none of them were AP. I think Bijan is the best RB prospect since AP imo. I personally don’t think he is reach at 10 but we know we don’t draft RBs in round 1.

although Howie did admit in Speak (TV Show) that the year McCoy came out, it was between him and Maclin for their 1st round pick. They said only reason they didn’t draft McCoy in 1st was because of combine. Howie might go Bijan but highly unlikely at 10. Maybe if they traded back which is also unlikely

Yea, I saw that episode too. Shady was surprised AF. But Shady was sick during the combine, that's why the poor results, worked well though lol.