Bijan Robinson (Texas RB) -- DRAFTED BY ATLANTA #8

NJWolverEagle11

Still thinking Bijan is in play at 10. I think he is a generational talent. Drafting him provides more flexibility for Gainwell who can be more of an offensive weapon this season. Coming out the backfield or lining up in the slot. 

Bijan would not be my first choice at 10 but there is no doubt that talent wise he is a top 5 player in this draft. Any likely will be the best player on the board. Not only that, I think Bijan is a can’t miss prospect. More importantly for the eagles they cannot afford to miss at #10

3 hours ago, philafan4o8 said:

Still thinking Bijan is in play at 10. I think he is a generational talent. Drafting him provides more flexibility for Gainwell who can be more of an offensive weapon this season. Coming out the backfield or lining up in the slot. 

Bijan would not be my first choice at 10 but there is no doubt that talent wise he is a top 5 player in this draft. Any likely will be the best player on the board. Not only that, I think Bijan is a can’t miss prospect. More importantly for the eagles they cannot afford to miss at #10

I would literally throw my remote if they draft a RB that freaking high.

• Like 2

Also Bijan and Jalen Hurts got the same agent. Doesn’t mean much but good to note. I think she is a "newer” agent so I think the Eagles will have good relationship with her because of Hurts

On 3/19/2023 at 9:45 AM, philafan4o8 said:

We have too much draft history with Howie to know his philosophy on RBs and LBs in the 1st round. Gibbs might be the better value in his Howies mind

3 hours ago, Portyansky said:

We have too much draft history with Howie to know his philosophy on RBs and LBs in the 1st round. Gibbs might be the better value in his Howies mind

I can’t debate that. But I still have that feeling they could do it. This is uncharted territory. Lol Howie doesn’t draft CBs in the first round either but people still think Gonzalez or Witherspoon are potential candidates.

My personal opinion is that the Eagles would only draft the following players in front of Bijan: Will Anderson, Jalen Carter (if still on their draft board), Tyree Wilson, Paris Johnson and maybe Miles Murphy. I am not completely sold that 4 QBs go in top 9. So it is very likely all of these guys will be off the board by 10.

We have to remember the Eagles were reportedly very highly on McCaffrey the year they drafted Barnett. But he went top 10 and a few picks in front of the Eagles. Again, not saying it’s a lock but I would not put it past Howie. Something crazy is going to happen during the draft

• Like 1

On 3/19/2023 at 9:45 AM, philafan4o8 said:

Drafting a RB in the top 10....maybe even first round at this point is a terrible idea. 

7 hours ago, Portyansky said:

I like Gibbs in the 2nd. I like take it to the house backs when we run so much :) 1st round though... I would hate it if it happened as a immediate gut reaction. Then love it when said 1st rd RB is balling out since he's now our RB1.

• Like 1

I would only accept getting him as a result of trading down from 10. Bijan and another late 1st or early 2nd is fine provided we hit on our usual trenches pick too.

I've never been a fan of drafting a RB in Rd 1 and I've been a "Draft-guy" for the past 30+ years ... "but" below is my best sell / Devil's Advocate Bijan at 10 argument 🙂

Rd 1 Pick 10: RB Bijon Robinson RB Texas
** This would be a slam dunk pick for the Eagles. Bijon behind this Offensive Line and in a run-option combo with Jalen Hurts would be completely unstoppable. Sanders was a solid, pro RB, but Bijon is a generational talent at the position. His combination of elite vision mixed with power, elite balance/moves, size, tackle breaking ability and explosion would make this Offense pretty much indefensible. Now throw in his ability as a receiver ... and I'm not just talking dump offs, Robinson has the route running and hands you usually don't see on RB's. We are talking Marshall Faulk type of receiving skills which again, would improve an already top-notch Offense into becoming potentially elite. Adding Robinson would also protect Jalen Hurts moving forward ... at the moment we don't have anyone who can carry the mail. Penny has only proven that he can't stay healthy; we'll be lucky to get 8 games out of him, that's why we got him for next to nothing. Gainwell is a nice complimentary Back, but he's no bell cow. Scott is an excellent #3, but again, no bell cow. Bijan allows Jalen to keep clean by allowing a ball control Offense without Jalen having to put the ball in the air 35+ times per game. Robinson will also get you all the short stuff where it will allow Jalen to sit back and not take hits on as many plays as he had to do in 2022. Finally, this team is set up to win now ... there is no other player in this draft that would help this team "now" better than Bijon. We have imo a two-year Super Bowl window right now. After that, Jalen's new contract will force us to make some really tough decisions. Gone will be Slay, Bradbury, Fletcher, Kelce, Graham and possibly even Lane ... plus we will have a decision to make with FA Devonta Smith. With Jalen's new contract we are likely not going to be able to afford "2" high priced WR's at the same time. So, you see, winning a chip in these next two seasons is a must and adding Bijon imo helps you do that more than any other player in this draft. This team's success the past two seasons came on the back of a top-notch ground game ... there's no reason to go away from it. Drafting Bijon not only insures we keep that advantage, but actually improves it and we don't have to worry about it changing for the next 5 years 
health permitting.

All this being said ... do I think it will happen? Probably not ... we'll trade down a few spots and go OL or DL. lol

• Like 3

1 minute ago, NJWolverEagle11 said:

Honestly wouldn't argue w this 

I would be surprised if Bresee, Carter and Banks were there at 30, 58 and 62, but there would be some other nice options.

Under normal circumstances I wouldn't advocate taking a RB with the 10th overall pick, but if you're making an argument for BPA on a team that is coming off a Super Bowl appearance, Bijan Robinson could very well be the BPA when all is said and done.

I would be surprised if this is the direction the Eagles take, but not necessarily upset given the need at RB and how much more dynamic this offense will be with Robinson filling in for Miles Sanders who signed with the Panthers.

• Like 1

More Bijan Robinson please. I know Howie will never draft a rb in round one, but I’m getting really intrigued by what he would look like behind our offensive line next to Jalen Hurts. Picking Robinson is the most explosive move the Eagles could make for the offense. No other position or player compares.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, MidMoFo said:

More Bijan Robinson please. I know Howie will never draft a rb in round one, but I’m getting really intrigued by what he would look like behind our offensive line next to Jalen Hurts. Picking Robinson is the most explosive move the Eagles could make for the offense. No other position or player compares.

Gibbs could give you similar production as a runner and pass catcher. 

6 minutes ago, judunno said:

Gibbs could give you similar production as a runner and pass catcher. 

Maybe. Gibbs is 20 lbs lighter though, and doesn’t have the same yards after contact. Bijan has a college career average of 4.5 yards after contact.

Can Gibbs hold up as well being 20 lbs lighter? Not only for a full season but 5 years from now?

6 hours ago, MidMoFo said:

Maybe. Gibbs is 20 lbs lighter though, and doesn’t have the same yards after contact. Bijan has a college career average of 4.5 yards after contact.

Can Gibbs hold up as well being 20 lbs lighter? Not only for a full season but 5 years from now?

In a RBC that we deploy. Yes. Bijan damn sure didn't get those 4.5 yards after contact when he played Alabama.

28 minutes ago, judunno said:

In a RBC that we deploy. Yes. Bijan damn sure didn't get those 4.5 yards after contact when he played Alabama.

Lol hard to get yards after contact when you are getting gang-tackled by an Alabama defense that knows you are the only weapon. Still did his thing vs Bama though

1 hour ago, judunno said:

I like the speed Jahmyr Gibbs brings. I think the best comparison I’ve heard is Alvin Kamara, who was great when he was paired up with Mark Ingram. When Kamara had to be the guy… he got banged up and hasn’t looked the same. Gibbs is a big upgrade for the role Gainwell plays, but I don’t think he is a Sanders role replacement.

• Like 1

Giibs imo will be nowhere the player Robinson will be at the next level. Gibbs has excellent speed and acceleration, but does not fight through contact well at all, too often gives up on the designed runs (loves to break it outside) and gets stuffed at the LOS way more often than Robinson. Also, in pass protection Gibbs doesn't hold up nearly as good as Robinson. imo Gibbs is a really nice "complimentary" Back, but not a Franchise-type Back Robinson projects to being.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, MidMoFo said:

I like the speed Jahmyr Gibbs brings. I think the best comparison I’ve heard is Alvin Kamara, who was great when he was paired up with Mark Ingram. When Kamara had to be the guy… he got banged up and hasn’t looked the same. Gibbs is a big upgrade for the role Gainwell plays, but I don’t think he is a Sanders role replacement.

Sanders himself played banged up. They intentionally had him on a pitch count to get him through a full season which is why I'm sure they didn't really consider re-signing him. They felt that they could replace his production considering he wasn't the type that could handle a large load. Teams don't really get franchise backs anymore and those that do don't typically go anywhere because they end up allocating too many resources to them whether it's draft capital or monetary. That position just gets banged up too much in general which is why RBC makes sense. If you need power in the rotation you already have Penny and Sermon on the roster.

3 hours ago, Rey said:

Giibs imo will be nowhere the player Robinson will be at the next level. Gibbs has excellent speed and acceleration, but does not fight through contact well at all, too often gives up on the designed runs (loves to break it outside) and gets stuffed at the LOS way more often than Robinson. Also, in pass protection Gibbs doesn't hold up nearly as good as Robinson. imo Gibbs is a really nice "complimentary" Back, but not a Franchise-type Back Robinson projects to being.

We're looking to replace 1200 yards in 17 games. That's not difficult to better. Prior to that Sanders didn't even sniff 1000. Gibbs and Penny behind this OL and with the threat of Hurts is more than capable of bettering those numbers. Hell you can grab someone like Zach Evans or Izzy and match or better that production. Not overly concerned with pass pro because the OL is dominant and we have a QB that can move and make you pay if you over pursue. (Note: Bijan isn't good at pass pro either) The idea is intriguing but it's an expensive undertaking for a position that gets banged up a lot over the course of 17 games. I just can't see RB at 10 in this era. Trading down from 10 poses it's own risks if you are doing so to target a specific player. Now if Howie pulls off a Jeffery Simmons then this conversation may change a bit.