Bijan Robinson (Texas RB) -- DRAFTED BY ATLANTA #8

NJWolverEagle11

4 hours ago, ilikepargo said:

It works great against a flawed offense/QB.  Give a team like that enough chances, and it will stop itself often enough.  Where it doesn't work is when you play against a QB like Mahomes.

Exactly... the better QBs picked his soft shell defense apart. Too conservative. You have to pick your spots but when you have above avg corners out there you gotta let them earn their keep and man up to stop getting sliced up.

• Like 1

Anyone listen to the New Heights podcast with the Kelce brothers? The latest episode had a Jason Kelce interview with Howie Roseman.

They were talking about the draft and personnel preferences and how they change over time. It started off talking about Kelce being undersized and the Eagles knew they could get him later in the draft even though they had a higher grade on him. As other teams start copying success the originators lose their edge and have to come up other ways to gain an advantage and possibly start the new trend.

I don’t remember Howie’s exact words, but when talking about pick 10 he said something along the lines of if we think we identify a superstar available at 10 we have to take him, no matter what traditional thoughts or values are placed on a position in the past.

My first impression of his statement was that he was talking about Bijan Robinson.

If you don’t listen to their podcast, you really missed out this past season. It’s pretty entertaining and I recommend it.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, MidMoFo said:

Anyone listen to the New Heights podcast with the Kelce brothers? The latest episode had a Jason Kelce interview with Howie Roseman.

They were talking about the draft and personnel preferences and how they change over time. It started off talking about Kelce being undersized and the Eagles knew they could get him later in the draft even though they had a higher grade on him. As other teams start copying success the originators lose their edge and have to come up other ways to gain an advantage and possibly start the new trend.

I don’t remember Howie’s exact words, but when talking about pick 10 he said something along the lines of if we think we identify a superstar available at 10 we have to take him, no matter what traditional thoughts or values are placed on a position in the past.

My first impression of his statement was that he was talking about Bijan Robinson.

If you don’t listen to their podcast, you really missed out this past season. It’s pretty entertaining and I recommend it.

Yeah I thought about that but I tend to think it's more likely Nolan Smith who is lighter and could be a different trend

• Like 1

6 hours ago, pgcd3 said:

Yeah I thought about that but I tend to think it's more likely Nolan Smith who is lighter and could be a different trend

I got the same vibe about Nolan Smith listening to that.

7 hours ago, pgcd3 said:

27 minutes ago, Rey said:

That could very well be as they also discussed a vision when they brought in Hassan Reddick. Fastballs off the edge isn’t really a new trend so to speak. 

7 hours ago, pgcd3 said:

50 minutes ago, Rey said:

Or both... :ph34r::ph34r:

On 3/30/2023 at 10:20 PM, MidMoFo said:

I had the same impression, just don't think it will happen. We have 4 RBs. 

On 3/30/2023 at 9:20 PM, MidMoFo said:

Completely agree. The teller for me is when they talked about if Jordan Davis was in the draft 20 years ago he would be a top 5 pick conversation. Same for Bijan if he was a RB in the draft 20 years ago he are talking about a top 5 pick easily.

So where are we at with Robinson? We know it is unlikely that Howie takes a RB but do people think it would be a good pick?

Personally, I agree with the consensus that 10 is too high. If we traded back to the late teens or early twenties and pick up one or two day two picks… I’d be ecstatic to pick him there, knowing we’re going to have an additional top 100 player on day two.

12 minutes ago, MidMoFo said:

Personally, I agree with the consensus that 10 is too high. If we traded back to the late teens or early twenties and pick up one or two day two picks… I’d be ecstatic to pick him there, knowing we’re going to have an additional top 100 player on day two.

If we trade back and get Bijan late teens/early 20s plus Nolan Smith at 30 that's already an A+ draft for me

59 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

So where are we at with Robinson? We know it is unlikely that Howie takes a RB but do people think it would be a good pick?

I'd consider it at 30... not before. Cause there's an Izzy out there :) Bijan, Gibbs, Izzy, Z Evans in that order for me. Best value would be Izzy.

4 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Look people can say what they want about where he should be drafted. The man is universally a top 5 talent in this draft and one of 3 blue chip prospects imo. But why "waste” a visit on a guy that is guaranteed to go in the first round if you have no intention of drafting a RB in the first round. However people want to spin it, Bijan is a target for the Eagles in the first round. Depending on how the board falls, Bijan may be an Eagles that Thursday night 

1 hour ago, philafan4o8 said:

Look people can say what they want about where he should be drafted. The man is universally a top 5 talent in this draft and one of 3 blue chip prospects imo. But why "waste” a visit on a guy that is guaranteed to go in the first round if you have no intention of drafting a RB in the first round. However people want to spin it, Bijan is a target for the Eagles in the first round. Depending on how the board falls, Bijan may be an Eagles that Thursday night 

Visits don't mean much when it comes to the Eagles. Usually smoke screens.

15 minutes ago, judunno said:

When they’ve had a high pick the guy usually visits

15 minutes ago, pgcd3 said:

When they’ve had a high pick the guy usually visits

I'm sure they have interest (doubtful at 10)... visits are just one of the many variables.

2 minutes ago, judunno said:

I'm sure they have interest (doubtful at 10)... visits are just one of the many variables.

Right but I suspect whoever they pick at 10-15 will be someone who visited

1 minute ago, pgcd3 said:

Right but I suspect whoever they pick at 10-15 will be someone who visited

Could be

4 hours ago, philafan4o8 said:

I think the problem with a RB is the second contract. With a RB you don’t want to pay them big money but a guy with the talent of Bijan is very likely going to demand big money in 5 years. 

5 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I think the problem with a RB is the second contract. With a RB you don’t want to pay them big money but a guy with the talent of Bijan is very likely going to demand big money in 5 years. 

If a player at any position takes the league by storm they are going ask for a big contract no matter where they were drafted… Austin Ekeler was an undrafted free agent, and he’s currently in a dispute for a 3rd contract.

You can’t pass on an elite player because you’re scared of the contract… 5 years from now.

31 minutes ago, MidMoFo said:

If a player at any position takes the league by storm they are going ask for a big contract no matter where they were drafted… Austin Ekeler was an undrafted free agent, and he’s currently in a dispute for a 3rd contract.

You can’t pass on an elite player because you’re scared of the contract… 5 years from now.

It isn’t so much about the contract. It’s about the position and the contract.

9 hours ago, judunno said:

Lol not sure where you are getting this information. Eagles can’t draft all 30 guys that visit. To say they don’t mean much is a guess. I’m sure the Eagles love wasting their own time to send smokescreens when everyone "knows” they are going oline or dline.

6 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I don’t think Howie is afraid to pay a RB if it is warranted. We saw this with LeSean McCoy. Howie made him one of the highest paid RBs in NFL. We know what happened next, Howie lost the battle with Chip Kelly and Chip traded him away like an idiot. McCoy was still balling when he got traded to the Bills. Miles Sanders was not worth the 2nd contract.  Even before Howie Westbrook was also a high paid RB

10 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

It isn’t so much about the contract. It’s about the position and the contract.

Totally hear what you’re saying, but the more I think about it the less leery I become of the Eagles possibly taking Bijan high (whether that’s at 10, or a little later after a move back.  I sincerely doubt he lasts until 30).  There are plenty of top 10 draftees that don’t pan out, and Bijan does not seem to have a high bust probability.  The second contract can work itself out down the road.  Either he’s playing at a high level still and the team wants to keep him, or there have been signs of decline and/ or they just decide they don’t want to give a RB a second contract and they move on.  

This offense, with a young Hurts, an OL that’s still currently thought of as elite, and great receiving targets, could potentially be next level with a presumed stud like Bijan.  I’d be good with that even if it’s only for a limited time.  While I expect them to try their best to patch the holes on defense, chances are the Eagles will not be as good on that side of the ball as they were last season.  However, if they manage to be even better on offense, they may just extend their current window of opportunity.