Nick Sirianni - will the Eagles go far with him?

Procus

Will the Eagles advance far with Nick Sirianni as head coach?  

65 members have voted

1. 1. Will the Eagles advance far with Nick Sirianni as head coach?

• Yes - he's a good coach for the team
    • No - he's not seasoned enough
    • Maybe - depends on the roster

3 minutes ago, nipples said:

Really? Cause I’d say mid-game adjustments was one of the biggest STRENGTHS last year. 

Total first half points: 169

Total second half points: 257

Is it a strength or were a lot of those points in junk time?

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, CouchKing said:

Is it a strength or were a lot of those points in junk time?

That’s a massive discrepancy to be explained away by junk time points, especially when they only had five double digit losses on the season (including the playoff game). Plus you can’t just take those out because then you’d have to take out games where they scored more in the first half and coasted in the second (Saints and Jets games, for example). 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, nipples said:

That’s a massive discrepancy to be explained away by junk time points, especially when they only had five double digit losses on the season (including the playoff game). Plus you can’t just take those out because then you’d have to take out games where they scored more in the first half and coasted in the second (Saints and Jets games, for example). 

My speculation on junk time was purely a guess and wasn't based on any analysis. I am too lazy and busy today to actually prove anything.

Hard to say at this point.  Just to make a guess based on last year I could see him winning a couple playoff games but not stacking up against the better coaches.  We have to see him tested in game strategy and must-win situations against the better coaches in the league and see how he performs.  

I didn't see anything last year that makes me say he's a terrible coach, but he could just be another average coach who is fired in a few years.  He's been given a pretty decent roster to work with and young talent to develop.  Lurie and Howie won't want to waste all this investment.  Obviously we'll see what happens at the QB position.  If they move on from Hurts and draft another QB next year that buys him more time to develop the young QB.

52 minutes ago, nipples said:

Second and third quarter scoring were low and then it picked up significantly in the fourth. The junk time scoring actually makes more sense than not 

19 TDS first half - 26tss second half 

1st qt - 10 (22.2%)

2nd -  9 (20%)

3rd - 11 (24.4%)

4th - 15 (33.3%)

1 hour ago, Shalodeep said:

Second and third quarter scoring were low and then it picked up significantly in the fourth. The junk time scoring actually makes more sense than not 

19 TDS first half - 26tss second half 

1st qt - 10 (22.2%)

2nd -  9 (20%)

3rd - 11 (24.4%)

4th - 15 (33.3%)

You’re saying third quarter scoring was low, yet it was their second best quarter. Also, it’s not all about TDs. Where are the field goal numbers? That’s why I posted total points per half. 

There were very few blowout losses last season. Not nearly enough to say that garbage time accounts for an 88 point difference between first and second half scoring  especially when you consider that we had the opposite affect in a couple of games, like the Saints and Jets.

6 minutes ago, nipples said:

You’re saying third quarter scoring was low, yet it was their second best quarter. Also, it’s not all about TDs. Where are the field goal numbers? That’s why I posted total points per half. 

Okay. How about this. 1/3 of all their touchdowns was done in the fourth which is a sign of junk time stats. Us scoring late third quarter may also be part of the junk considering we were behind by a bit a few times this season. Does this correction fill your needs?

• Like 1

Just now, Shalodeep said:

Okay. How about this. 1/3 of all their touchdowns was done in the fourth which is a sign of junk time stats. Us scoring late third quarter may also be part of the junk considering we were behind by a bit a few times this season. Does this correction fill your needs?

Not really, no. The only games where I can look at them and say they just put up garbage points in the second half are the two Tampa games and the Raiders game. 

Beyond that, they either won or they were still in the game into the fourth quarter. 

3 minutes ago, nipples said:

Not really, no. The only games where I can look at them and say they just put up garbage points in the second half are the two Tampa games and the Raiders game. 

Beyond that, they either won or they were still in the game into the fourth quarter. 

How about their trailing touchdown count of 26 vs tied/lead of 19?

Just now, Shalodeep said:

How about their trailing touchdown count of 26 vs tied/lead of 19?

What exactly does that have to do with anything? Trailing doesn’t mean it’s garbage time.  

5 minutes ago, nipples said:

What exactly does that have to do with anything? Trailing doesn’t mean it’s garbage time.  

Do I need to connect the dots for you nipples or can you figure it out? 

• Haha 1

On 7/21/2022 at 9:38 AM, nipples said:

First cowboys game and the chiefs game were also full of garbage time stats

2 hours ago, SB52 said:

They won with Pederson. Sirianni seems like a major upgrade.

Do not forget that Pederson was at his best when it mattered the most.  He went into overdrive for the playoffs and SB.  The work that the coaching team did to revamp the offense to tailor to Foles' strengths was legendary.  While we saw a glimpse of that with Siri last season effectively shifting gears and moving to a running offense, we don't know if his staff has their stripes to run a high powered offense in the NFL and coach on overdrive in the playoffs.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Procus said:

Do not forget that Pederson was at his best when it mattered the most.  He went into overdrive for the playoffs and SB.  The work that the coaching team did to revamp the offense to tailor to Foles' strengths was legendary.  While we saw a glimpse of that with Siri last season effectively shifting gears and moving to a running offense, we don't know if his staff has their stripes to run a high powered offense in the NFL and coach on overdrive in the playoffs.

Well he had Frank Reich at the time. Things fell apart after he left and Doug had to do it himself.

3 hours ago, opa-opa said:

Well he had Frank Reich at the time. Things fell apart after he left and Doug had to do it himself.

Things didn't exactly fall apart.  The Eagles made the playoffs the next 2 years.  There was a big drop off in talent from 2017.

On 7/21/2022 at 5:38 PM, nipples said:

21 hours ago, devpool said:

I presume the stats are just regular season as well? In which case you can remove both Bucs games. The Eagles were never out of the Bucs regular season game. They got within 6 with 6 minutes left. Unfortunately the Eagles D couldn't get a stop.

I'll give there was some garbage team second half stats in the Cowboys/Chiefs game, but I'd also add the Broncos game to the Saints and Jets game where the Eagles had a big lead and eased off in the second half. Pretty much events out. 

• Like 1

On 7/18/2022 at 8:41 AM, CouchKing said:

Sanders got zero running TDs, but Hurts can still soak up all the running TDs from Scott (7), Gainwell (5), and Jordan Howard (3).

If the team scores a TD, does it really matter who gets statistical credit? We were 8th in the NFL last year in red zone scoring (TDs) at 62.9%. I really don't understand the fixation on individual stats unless fantasy football is more important than Eagles football. Meanwhile, you had those big name QBs vying for "league MVP" trying to pass in the red zone when runs would suffice.

KC ranked 11th at 62.2%

LA Rams were 16th at 59.1

GB was 18th at 57.5

3 of the best QBs in the NFL were less efficient in the red zone than the Eagles. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

It will be interesting to see.  I certainly have more confidence in him this year than I did last year entering the season.  I thought he went through some growing pains early in the year but showed the ability to adjust.  That said I didn't like his gameplan in the Bucs game and I didn't like how unprepared this team looked when going against better teams last season.

But the coaching staff as a whole was so unexperienced last year.  I expect him to do well this season and hopefully take us on a bit of a playoff run.  The Eagles are getting a lot of smoke and praise blown up their ass this offseason and are being talked up heading into the year.  That can get into a team's head and lead to disastrous results in the season so I'm interested to see how he is able to manage the team from stopping them from feeling themselves too much.  

Going into the bye I think we will have a much better idea of Sirianni as a HC.  If this team has a winning record going into that week 7 bye then I think we have a pretty good HC.  If we have a losing record then that will be a point of concern.  If we have a 3-3 record then maybe we just have a very average HC in Sirianni.  

On 7/23/2022 at 2:57 PM, devpool said:

Cowboys game they only scored 7 in each of the third and fourth quarters… how is that full of garbage time points? 

The Chiefs game they were in it until the fourth. They were only down 12 heading into the fourth quarter. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, nipples said:

Cowboys game they only scored 7 in each of the third and fourth quarters… how is that full of garbage time points? 

The Chiefs game they were in it until the fourth. They were only down 12 heading into the fourth quarter. 

Clearly said garbage time stats. Funny how those were the only two games hurts threw over 300 yards, and it's because they were getting blown out the entire time 

30 minutes ago, devpool said:

Clearly said garbage time stats. Funny how those were the only two games hurts threw over 300 yards, and it's because they were getting blown out the entire time 

Why are you even bringing up Hurts? He sucks… tell me something I don’t know. 

The main argument was about POINTS scored in the second half vs. the first halves of games. Nothing to do with stats. 

• Like 1

On 7/25/2022 at 12:01 PM, nipples said:

Why are you even bringing up Hurts? He sucks… tell me something I don’t know. 

The main argument was about POINTS scored in the second half vs. the first halves of games. Nothing to do with stats. 

Any question about Siri future, is directly tied to Hurts... and an Oasis for "Hurts Sucks" fans. 

Hurts was not great in his first year, and neither was Siri. Let's hope both of them improve this year.

I saw a young, first time HC in the NFL, take a bad team and watched them develop over the year, make adjustments when needed, and was willing to change when change was needed.

He was patient, concerned about the players and earned their loyalty.  He is still learning but took that team to a winning record and a playoff game.  I don't give a sh-- about the schedule, the NFL is a hard place to win.  I know that 18 teams missed the playoffs last year.......

I think Sirianni has much more talent offensively and defensively to work with......it's going to be fun to watch them develop even more this year.

It’s too early to say about this coach. I’m not ready to write him off, but it’s way too early to assume this guy is a good coach because of last year either. Chip Kelly won 20 games in two seasons and he stunk as a head coach. Not really sure why so many people are obsessed to have a hot take either. None of you get paid to have one. 

• Like 1