Nick Sirianni - will the Eagles go far with him?

Procus

Will the Eagles advance far with Nick Sirianni as head coach?  

65 members have voted

1. 1. Will the Eagles advance far with Nick Sirianni as head coach?

• Yes - he's a good coach for the team
    • No - he's not seasoned enough
    • Maybe - depends on the roster

4 hours ago, EagleVA said:

He did the right thing concerning play calling and I give him credit for not letting his ego get in the way.

His training camp thing shows a lack of understanding the value of being physically fit, they'll be the entire month of Sept before they're in shape.

There has been some speculation that the soft training camp is coming from the top (Howie/Lurie) which I don't doubt because no coach in his right mind would do such a thing. 

There clearly is a lack of intelligence in the organization and one thing is for sure,  stupidity isn't going to win no matter how talented the roster.

Sirianni is Howie's puppet.

Howie has dictated a player friendly camp.

Don't work em hard. No hitting. No dehydration. 

Don't play em in preseason games. Fewer injuries. Fresher legs.

Are they in game shape? I doubt it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CouchKing said:

I am watching for a slow start again, due to other teams being in shape, and the Eagles huffing and puffing by the 4th quarter. They started off 2-5 last year, and only had a decent record by beating losing teams. It took them 8 or 9 games to get into NFL shape, then they were gasses by the playoffs.

I hope I am wrong, because all of us fans want to WIN. If a soft ass camp causes the Eagles to win, I'll stop ****ing about it forever. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CouchKing said:

Reporters were asking some the of the players this yesterday, said they've been getting enough work in practice. I doubt it. You can't replicate that experience playing a game and the adrenaline that comes with it. Joint practices or not, you're still not tackling anyone. The only people it maybe benefits are the linemen since they're the only ones who are actually banging.

41 minutes ago, AngryBird said:

Joint practices or not, you're still not tackling anyone. 

And it shows, I've never seen so many high tackle attempts in my life, no fundamental tackling technique what-so-ever.......it's gonna be ugly.

It's such a shame, they have Howie the Madden Player calling the shots.

On 7/18/2022 at 9:11 AM, Shalodeep said:

So hard to have an opinion on him because of how much Howie is involved in his roster decisions.

That can be a good thing too.  Pederson would never have been able to be the HC of a SB champion without that roster Howie built up.  The current roster is getting good press.  Let's see if the coaching staff is up to getting the most out of the roster.  I credit the staff for creating a good team atmosphere and unified culture.  I want to see proficiency from the coaching staff when it comes to game planning, X's and O's, and in game adjustments for starters.  I'm more concerned about that stuff than about the T-shirt Siri is wearing or sound bites Gannon is giving.

10 hours ago, Procus said:

That can be a good thing too.  Pederson would never have been able to be the HC of a SB champion without that roster Howie built up.  The current roster is getting good press.  Let's see if the coaching staff is up to getting the most out of the roster.  I credit the staff for creating a good team atmosphere and unified culture.  I want to see proficiency from the coaching staff when it comes to game planning, X's and O's, and in game adjustments for starters.  I'm more concerned about that stuff than about the T-shirt Siri is wearing or sound bites Gannon is giving.

I agree until he chooses the ones who suit up on Sunday. His season is over in my book and he should be keeping an eye out for deals for next season or extensions..

I’m legitimately surprised at the comments in here. I think Sirianna is proving himself very well. The guys seem to love playing for him. He’s shown that he’s willing to set his ego aside and do what’s best for the team. I expect him to be here for a long time. 

• Like 1

On 8/30/2022 at 11:18 AM, Talonblood said:

I am watching for a slow start again, due to other teams being in shape, and the Eagles huffing and puffing by the 4th quarter. They started off 2-5 last year, and only had a decent record by beating losing teams. It took them 8 or 9 games to get into NFL shape, then they were gasses by the playoffs.

I hope I am wrong, because all of us fans want to WIN. If a soft ass camp causes the Eagles to win, I'll stop ****ing about it forever. 

The slow start had nothing to do with them getting into game shape. They started winning as soon as they switched the focus from passing to running the ball. 

48 minutes ago, nipples said:

I’m legitimately surprised at the comments in here. I think Sirianna is proving himself very well. The guys seem to love playing for him. He’s shown that he’s willing to set his ego aside and do what’s best for the team. I expect him to be here for a long time. 

I think Nick will stick around for a few years due to the players buying in. My concern has less to do with him, and more to do with him not getting the last word in much of anything due to Howie. 

2 hours ago, nipples said:

The slow start had nothing to do with them getting into game shape. They started winning as soon as they switched the focus from passing to running the ball. 

They were out of shape. Period. They also had a **** QB.

5 minutes ago, Talonblood said:

They were out of shape. Period. They also had a **** QB.

I disagree. They sure looked like they were in fine shape week 1. 

When they come out and open the season 4-0, you going to admit that the short practice thing is being way overblown?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, nipples said:

I disagree. They sure looked like they were in fine shape week 1. 

When they come out and open the season 4-0, you going to admit that the short practice thing is being way overblown?

If they come out 4-0 (which I expect them to), it's because Hurts got better and all this killer talent. With all this talent,  they will win in spite of Camp SiriSoft™.  If they come out and LOSE games because they are out of shape, I am going to lose my sheeeeet.

buuuu-fantasma.gif

Reading through this thread reminds me that some things - death, taxes, and Eagles fans arguing - will never change, especially when it comes to opinions about quarterbacks.

I like Sirianni, for a few reasons.

1. He got the Eagles, with a mediocre roster, to the playoffs in his first season.
  2. He realised early on last year that things weren't working, and was smart enough and humble enough to make changes.
  3. Giving up playcalling shows maturity, while also showing trust in his staff. Being a Superman is for comics and Nietzsche only.
  4. The players love him, and they trust him. That's crucial.

I do think it is fair to say that he goes as far as Jalen Hurts goes this year. I don't honestly get the Hurts hate from some quarters, honestly. He is what he is - a guy who can make plays with his legs, who needs to improve his passing and vision, who needs to improve his game management. But last year was basically (if not in fact, in practical terms) his rookie year.

If Sirianni and Hurts can grow together, this could turn out to be a very special partnership. If not? We all move on, and continue cheering on our Eagles.

PS - all this Hurts Squirters/SiriSoft nonsense is so Fing juvenile. Football is a game, it's entertainment. Be passionate, but good grief, we're all rooting for the same team. There are enough real enemies out there without creating our own, from our own

• Like 2

On 8/6/2022 at 8:03 PM, Procus said:

None of us know what was going on behind the scenes.  Dumb take about having a "clown they could control" - similar things were said about Pederson when he was hired.

From what I've heard Pederson pretty much insinuated  that Howie/Lurie were control freaks and that's why he left......so maybe "clown control" isn't so dumb afterall.

6 hours ago, EagleVA said:

From what I've heard Pederson pretty much insinuated  that Howie/Lurie were control freaks and that's why he left......so maybe "clown control" isn't so dumb afterall.

Clown control to Major Tom...

How far?

As Ron White once famously intoned:"........all the way to the scene of the crash."

On 8/7/2022 at 10:25 AM, Gannan said:

The facts are that they fired the only coach who has ever won a super bowl for this franchise. They wanted to pick his coaches and he said no. They hired a guy who no other team was interested in. So yeah, we kind of do. 

Kind of the same situation when Dougie was hired.  Nobody wanted him.  Schwartz was pretty much the co-head coach in the beginning.

We shall see with Siri.  I don't care for all these promo videos and photo shots of Siri saying a catchy sound bite or wearing a T shirt about some player.  Siri doesn't have his Schwartz.  Gannon hasn't shown us that he can be a good DC, and Philly has had more than its share of good DC's through the years.

• 1 month later...

Right now Sirianni and Hurts have the Eagles in the drivers seat of the NFC. The coaching and the quarterback are showing with talent around them they can succeed. Gannon especially has proven that he can coach a dominant defense when you give him the right players to work with. It was very obvious last season the Eagles were cap strapped which prevented them from being as aggressive as they wanted to be in building a roster. In fact they traded away one of their weapons (Ertz) and still found a way to make it to the playoffs despite their mediocre talent. The sky is the limit for this coach and this quarterback if they have talent around them.

Regular season games are one thing, but coaches prove themselves the most in playoff games.  Sirianni seems to have these guys on a mission, focusing on the next game at hand, and he admits there are things they still have to work on.  

I like his intensity, i like his approach, which are good fits for the philly fan base......but winning in the playoffs is what is going to cement his place in Philadelphia.  Whatever record the eagles end up with......and/or winning the division.  Losing the first game in the playoffs will sour the whole season.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 9/7/2022 at 8:39 PM, kiwinavega said:

Reading through this thread reminds me that some things - death, taxes, and Eagles fans arguing - will never change, especially when it comes to opinions about quarterbacks.

I like Sirianni, for a few reasons.

1. He got the Eagles, with a mediocre roster, to the playoffs in his first season.
  2. He realised early on last year that things weren't working, and was smart enough and humble enough to make changes.
  3. Giving up playcalling shows maturity, while also showing trust in his staff. Being a Superman is for comics and Nietzsche only.
  4. The players love him, and they trust him. That's crucial.

I do think it is fair to say that he goes as far as Jalen Hurts goes this year. I don't honestly get the Hurts hate from some quarters, honestly. He is what he is - a guy who can make plays with his legs, who needs to improve his passing and vision, who needs to improve his game management. But last year was basically (if not in fact, in practical terms) his rookie year.

If Sirianni and Hurts can grow together, this could turn out to be a very special partnership. If not? We all move on, and continue cheering on our Eagles.

PS - all this Hurts Squirters/SiriSoft nonsense is so Fing juvenile. Football is a game, it's entertainment. Be passionate, but good grief, we're all rooting for the same team. There are enough real enemies out there without creating our own, from our own

:ph34r:

• Like 2

But but but he was a little nervous in his first press conference.

It's almost like talking to the media & coaching are 2 different things. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, NOTW said:

But but but he was a little nervous in his first press conference.

It's almost like talking to the media & coaching are 2 different things. 

He wore T shirts!