Nick Sirianni - will the Eagles go far with him?

Procus

Will the Eagles advance far with Nick Sirianni as head coach?  

65 members have voted

1. 1. Will the Eagles advance far with Nick Sirianni as head coach?

• Yes - he's a good coach for the team
    • No - he's not seasoned enough
    • Maybe - depends on the roster

On 7/20/2022 at 2:44 AM, D-Shiznit said:

He's a definitive downgrade from Doug, but until he has a fair shot with a legit QB, it's hard to write him off.

Not for nothing, but THIS coach thinks THAT quarterback only needs less than an hour of practice In two days to be ready for an NFL season. Also I can guarantee you that THIS coach will hardly let THAT quarterback play in any of these preseason games. So maybe THIS coach is just as much responsible for how THAT quarterback plays. 

• Like 1

I didn't like the hire at the time and I'm still not convinced he's an NFL head coach. I'm keeping an open mind and hoping for the best though. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

It’s not his call.  All of that is being driven by analytics at the direction of Lowie.  He was hired to be a puppet and that’s what he is.  More over-correction from Lurie.  Why do you think they have Howie chaperoning him at the press conferences.  Lowie was so concerned with what Doug was saying at PC’s, now they have to keep an eye on NS.   He looks like a teenager sitting there wearing a T shirt of one of his players.  What kind of "leader” does that dumb crap?  

If the guy has no power as you believe then how in the world can anyone consider him a good coach at this point? I can’t see how this isn’t on him considering these drastic changes have happened on his watch. Doug started out with difficult practices, but then he lowered the intensity after players started to get hurt. Sirianni started out with this weak practice schedule and has maintained it. He lost his play calling duties and isn’t doing them this year, because the team was losing under his play calling. They also started out slow after their week one win. At this point what does Sirianni actually do that makes people think this guy is going to be a good coach or deserves to be defended? Heck we all basically agreed that Wentz needs strong coaching in order to get the best out of him. Well if Wentz were here does anyone think Sirianni and his weak coaching style would accomplish that? I’m presuming no on that, so how in the world would this coach be able to get Hurts to improve if he isn’t even allowing him to play? Oh and I seriously doubt Howie is forcing Sirianni not to play his players in preseason games. Heck last year he didn’t even let Reagor play in them and that guy needs all the work he can get. 

2 minutes ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

I have no idea.  I don't think he was the right hire.  I didn't like it then and still don't think he's the right hire.  It all starts up top.  And this all falls in line with the shift of focus to more analytics.  NS was the first guy they interviewed that said, YES.  They interviewed Josh McD over multiple days and then poof he was gone and they were on to NS.  He was like their 10th guy to interview for the job and he didn't interview with anyone else.  So you can connect the dots and realize they were looking for a puppet, especially since the reason why they crap canned Doug was over his desire to pick his coaching staff.  That was a year after they made him replace his OC a few days after he said the OC was staying around.  It's all so obvious, most Eagle fans don't want to read the writing on the wall.  But good for Nick...I don't blame him, I would have accepted the job too.  I don't blame Hurts, I'd take the QB1 job for as long as I could hold it as well.  Neither one of them are the right man for the job.  

You’re possibly right that neither men are the right choice, but I’m rooting for both of them to succeed. Overall I think it’s too early to say that either will succeed or fail, but no matter what happens these two are joined for at least three seasons together. Even if the Eagles draft a quarterback next season I doubt he plays without some grooming. Frankly I have major doubts about Sirianni being able to groom any quarterback with his style of coaching. He’s a wide receiver guy and he couldn’t even develop Reagor. 

He's definitely a players coach

Guess it depends on if he goes down with the Hurts ship

3 hours ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

It’s not his call.  All of that is being driven by analytics at the direction of Lowie.  He was hired to be a puppet and that’s what he is.  More over-correction from Lurie.  Why do you think they have Howie chaperoning him at the press conferences.  Lowie was so concerned with what Doug was saying at PC’s, now they have to keep an eye on NS.   He looks like a teenager sitting there wearing a T shirt of one of his players.  What kind of "leader” does that dumb crap?  

That's my impression as well. Honestly firing a head coach who won this franchise it's only super bowl a mere 3 years later after one losing season is absurd. The only reason for it is what you're saying here. They wanted a clown they could control. For those reasons have major doubts about how far a team under that kind of leadership can really go. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Gannan said:

That's my impression as well. Honestly firing a head coach who won this franchise it's only super bowl a mere 3 years later after one losing season is absurd. The only reason for it is what you're saying here. They wanted a clown they could control. For those reasons have major doubts about how far a team under that kind of leadership can really go. 

Dougs coordinators besides OLine sucked. There was also a constant revolving door at position coaches

His latest choices definitely didn't help

I think they hired Nick because he does what they say too but Doug didn't help Doug keep his job

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mike030270 said:

Dougs coordinators besides OLine sucked. There was also a constant revolving door at position coaches

His latest choices definitely didn't help

I think they hired Nick because he does what they say too but Doug didn't help Doug keep his job

A super bowl winning head coach should be able to pick his assistants. There have been assistants that were terrible here, or we thought they were who went on to be great other places. Two of them most of us thought sucked are head coaches now (McDermott and Bowles). The owner should write the checks. The GM picks the players. Neither are more qualified than Doug to pick the assistants. Jeffry and Howie wanted to fire Frank Reich too. They don't know what they're doing when it comes to those decisions. Lurie especially needs to stay on his yacht and stop interfering. Already the draft was better this year without him trying to play fantasy football. 

26 minutes ago, Gannan said:

A super bowl winning head coach should be able to pick his assistants. There have been assistants that were terrible here, or we thought they were who went on to be great other places. Two of them most of us thought sucked are head coaches now (McDermott and Bowles). The owner should write the checks. The GM picks the players. Neither are more qualified than Doug to pick the assistants. Jeffry and Howie wanted to fire Frank Reich too. They don't know what they're doing when it comes to those decisions. Lurie especially needs to stay on his yacht and stop interfering. Already the draft was better this year without him trying to play fantasy football. 

I agree he should be able to pick his assistants but if they aren't good choices and he wont budge then you need to find a new HC

Also we're talking about coaches under Doug only

I agree the GM and owner shouldn't be so involved but sadly they are

2 hours ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

No one who is an Eagle fan is rooting against them.  That's a silly strawman assumption.  

And NS and JH are not joined for at least 3 seasons.  That's what you hope but it's not reality.  Reality is that they researched options of replacing Hurts this past off-season.  The other reality is that they traded one of their 1st back from this past draft, which was a terrible QB class, to next years draft which is a much better QB class.  You can try to speak him into existence as much as you want.  But it doesn't make it reality.  

Sorry, but I’m not assuming anyone is rooting against Hurts or hoping for him to fail (although there is plenty of proof around here for that) rather I’m telling you my stance. Getting back to this coach word is both the 1st and 2nd team offenses did not look good today. Maybe the problem could be is this coach gave them a 58 minute practice and a day off before today? Bottom line is this team IMO could be setting themselves up for failure. Jalen Hurts and frankly a lot of players on this team have not earned this relaxed treatment. 

I just can't take a coach seriously that wears a shirt of his QB's (for now) face. He is obviously a puppet. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

12 hours ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

Ok.  Again.  No one is rooting against Hurts.  That is just silly and pretty immature.  

Also again......I don't have any doubt in my mind that it's not Nick's call on the practice schedule.  That's where the puppet and analytic comments come from.  Doug tried to grab more control and look what happened.  

There are several people around here who flat out hate the guy and want him to fail and be replaced. If you can’t see that then I don’t know what to tell you. Some dope who writes the "Eagles won’t win with a running back playing quarterback” certainly isn’t rooting for him. Look I agree that Nick wasn’t chosen because he was some hotshot coordinator, but I do believe he is a part of the collaborative effort, and the players can see through it if he’s nothing more than a Howie puppet. His antics would tire quick and he will be gone. For his sake I hope he’s more than just the sideline cheerleader you’re making him out to be.

• Like 1

On 7/30/2022 at 6:14 AM, 4for4EaglesNest said:

JFC.  You Hurts Squirters are a sensitive bunch.  Saying that you don’t think the Eagles can win with a running back playing QB isn’t the same as rooting against them.   Holy F.  Grow up.  And he is a running back playing QB.  And he’s not the answer long term.  Does that mean that since  you’re not sold on NS you’re not rooting for him?  

Except that there are fans that aren't rooting for him to succeed. They're in fact frothing at the mouth in anticipation of his downfall, all so they can run to this board and say "I told you so!' 😄

I'm indifferent to Hurts. I like him as a player, but I'm not going to be sad if he eventually doesn't pan out.  of course I want him to succeed, and I think he probably will, but I'll be labelled a "Hurts Squirter" for calling out people that hate on him.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

Go ahead.  Name one poster with proof.  

I don't care to entertain the blatant trolling. If people want to ignore the obvious, it's fine with me.

• Haha 1

On 8/2/2022 at 10:46 AM, MF POON said:

Except that there are fans that aren't rooting for him to succeed. They're in fact frothing at the mouth in anticipation of his downfall, all so they can run to this board and say "I told you so!' 😄

I'm indifferent to Hurts. I like him as a player, but I'm not going to be sad if he eventually doesn't pan out.  of course I want him to succeed, and I think he probably will, but I'll be labelled a "Hurts Squirter" for calling out people that hate on him.

Going back and forth with a Commander bagger is a waste of time. Hurts could throw for 5000 yards, lead this team to the NFC Championship and play a bad championship game and you will see the same dopes jump on here and say I told you so he stinks! 😂🤣😂

• Like 1

You know it’s fortunate that so far no one has gone down with a major injury, but I don’t think that the shorter practices are being as preventive as the Eagles think.

5469482A-5DF2-47F3-AC77-9919256FD937.jpeg

On 7/29/2022 at 10:57 AM, Gannan said:

None of us know what was going on behind the scenes.  Dumb take about having a "clown they could control" - similar things were said about Pederson when he was hired.

14 hours ago, Procus said:

None of us know what was going on behind the scenes.  Dumb take about having a "clown they could control" - similar things were said about Pederson when he was hired.

The facts are that they fired the only coach who has ever won a super bowl for this franchise. They wanted to pick his coaches and he said no. They hired a guy who no other team was interested in. So yeah, we kind of do. 

SiriSoft™ is a puppet, just like Doug was, until he refused to be one. If you can win a Super Bowl with a puppet, fine. Just win, baby.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gannan said:

The facts are that they fired the only coach who has ever won a super bowl for this franchise. They wanted to pick his coaches and he said no. They hired a guy who no other team was interested in. So yeah, we kind of do. 

We shall see w Siri. I'm still not sold on him. But I'll give the front office the benefit of the doubt. Better than most in the league

• 4 weeks later...

I voted not seasoned enough based on two decisions during preseason, the 50 minute practices and playing Hurts for two series the entire preseason.

The team looked grossly out of shape, it takes me longer than 50 mins to cut my lawn and Hurts should have played a minimum of 1 quarter in each preseason game, the guy needs all the live game action he can get.

Please, I don't want to hear anything about joint practice sessions, or collective bargaining agreements during preseason.

I'm expecting them to have their arses handed to them against Detroit.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, EagleVA said:

I voted not seasoned enough based on two decisions during preseason, the 50 minute practices and playing Hurts for two series the entire preseason.

The team looked grossly out of shape, it takes me longer than 50 mins to cut my lawn and Hurts should have played a minimum of 1 quarter in each preseason game, the guy needs all the live game action he can get.

Please, I don't want to hear anything about joint practice sessions, or collective bargaining agreements during preseason.

I'm expecting them to have their arses handed to them against Detroit.

Not that you can see me, and not that I usually want to help you make a point, but Hurts actually only had 1 series in preseason.

I personally think he’s in over his head but want to see how he responds after his first year. He was embarrassed by the Bucs coaching staff in the Wild Card. Hopefully he learns some good lessons from that but the jury is definitely out.

Nick is goofy. Thing is, Doug was goofy too, and is the only HC to bring Philly a Super Bowl. I give him some time.... just to see what he is. I didn't like how quickly he bailed out as the play caller. He preaches competition at all levels, yet he bailed way too quickly when there was an issue he struggled with. Why didn't he compete? He didn't practice what he preaches, and that's what they call a hypocrite. I'm not saying he is one....yet. But if he is all bluster and can't back it up, we'll know soon enough. I hate his do nothing "training camps." I don't care if he is a nice guy. I'l take a not so nice guy if he can truly coach. I don't like him so far. We'll see what his out of shape, soft ass team can do this year. I hope they all do well, but there is something weird about SiriSoft™.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Talonblood said:

Nick is goofy. Thing is, Doug was goofy too, and is the only HC to bring Philly a Super Bowl. I give him some time.... just to see what he is. I didn't like how quickly he bailed out as the play caller. He preaches competition at all levels, yet he bailed way too quickly when there was an issue he struggled with. Why didn't he compete? He didn't practice what he preaches, and that's what they call a hypocrite. I'm not saying he is one....yet. But if he is all bluster and can't back it up, we'll know soon enough. I hate his do nothing "training camps." I don't care if he is a nice guy. I'l take a not so nice guy if he can truly coach. I don't like him so far. We'll see what his out of shape, soft ass team can do this year. I hope they all do well, but there is something weird about SiriSoft™.

He did the right thing concerning play calling and I give him credit for not letting his ego get in the way.

His training camp thing shows a lack of understanding the value of being physically fit, they'll be the entire month of Sept before they're in shape.

There has been some speculation that the soft training camp is coming from the top (Howie/Lurie) which I don't doubt because no coach in his right mind would do such a thing. 

There clearly is a lack of intelligence in the organization and one thing is for sure,  stupidity isn't going to win no matter how talented the roster.

• Like 1