NFL Trivia Game Is Back!

Aerolithe_Lion

LEADERBOARD:

downundermike 22

Bwestbrook36 12

NCTANK 2

Eaglesireland 2

The rules:

Each question will initially be worth 2 points (without hints). First person to get it wins, and their tally will be added to the leaderboard. Every poster is allowed only 1 guess for every question. This is modified with rule 3. In the event the right answer is stated properly, the question then end, and a new question will begin.

2. If no one gets the answer in an amount of guesses I feel is appropriate, I will begin giving hints. The amount of guesses before a hint is given will vary wildly based on participation, time passed, and my mood in that specific moment. Once the first hint is given, the question is then only with 1 point. Hints will be given in stages, and then the question will continue until a new hint is required.

3. Each poster may guess one time between hint stages in addition to their original question guess. So 1 guess after the first post, then 1 additional guess after the first hint, 1 more guess after the second hint, etc. If you guess multiple times in between hints and break rule 3, I will not acknowledge your additional tries, only the first you post. So if you see someone doing that, you can steal their other guesses as they could be correct but didnt count.

4. If you guess someone who fits the criteria but was not my original idea for the answer, you will get the appropriate points and the question will continue until the original answer is found. Example: I want a 90’s rb that made 3 pro bowls. You say Barry sanders, but I was looking for Emmitt Smith. I will acknowledge Barry is also technically correct, give that poster 2 points, then still leave the question open until Emmitt is called and that other poster will also get 2 points. All questions will be intended for 1 answer, but by host error, they could have unlimited right answers. HOWEVER, if hints come about before your guess on the original question that eliminated Barry Sanders, you are no longer entitled to those points. Example: First hint... "This RB played in the NFC East." Barry no longer fits, that answer is now off the table. But if the hint was instead ‘played in NFC,’ Barry is still in play and he follows rule 2, meaning he’s worth 1 point and the game will continue.

5. I make the questions, if you want me to use yours, message it to me with the answer, and I will process it through my ‘elaborate criteria.’ Keep in mind I am a fickle human being, but don’t let that stop you from keeping the game alive. If i do not like your question, I will explain why and encourage you to adjust it to be added to the game.

6. I’m putting it in this section because it’ll be about nfl stuff all over, maybe not very much Eagles trivia. In fact, because of the player base here, I may avoid that. I do hints because thousands of fans can see this and it’s not meant to be easy.

7. If you dispute a question/answer, please message me directly; do not disrupt the thread.

8. If you don’t know, guess the the closest player you can think of even if it’s wrong. What this will do is eliminate options for other people so they can get the answer quicker and we can move on to a new question you may know. And if no one is getting it, people guessing will push me to give out hints to make it much easier to get.

9. Oh yeah! I’m going to word these questions as best I can so that you can’t simply google the answer without much effort. Use your brain, work it out. These are all things I know off the top of my head and I’m no historian. You probably know it too, just give it a minute to marinate. If you do have to use Pro football reference, etc, it won't be so simple....

10. If you are late to a solved question, and you guess for it while a new Question is going, that will count as your guess for the new Question! Make sure to make it to the end of the thread before you guess.

11. In the event I totally blunder the wording of a question to the extent that the correct answer is actually wrong, I will restart the question and refund all guesses. This may mean you did guess the right person initially, and if that does happen you’ve lucked out, I’ll give you the points and we’ll move on. But if it doesn’t, I’ll acknowledge all guesses were incorrect and everyone is allowed to guess again.

12. This is just a game, it's not necessary to go off topic too much in this thread. If you need to tell me something, just message me.

It's not as complicated as the rules seem, they're moreso for semantical purposes. Follow along and it's pretty simple:

Layup for the first question:

1. This player is a WR

2. He played football for a team founded before 1960.

3. He is the only player in NFL history to lead the league in receiving touchdowns in his final season.

I want a name:

17 minutes ago, Aerolithe_Lion said:

Layup for the first question:

1. This player is a WR

2. He played football for a team founded before 1960.

3. He is the only player in NFL history to lead the league in receiving touchdowns in his final season.

I want a name:

Sterling Sharpe

2 minutes ago, downundermike said:

Sterling Sharpe

That's it!

NEXT QUESTION:

The whistle blows on an NFL game. It is over. There were zero field goals, yet the score ended 10-1. How is this possible?

3 minutes ago, Aerolithe_Lion said:

That's it!

NEXT QUESTION:

The whistle blows on an NFL game. It is over. There were zero field goals, yet the score ended 10-1. How is this possible?

Easy.

10 points, TD and FG, or 5 safeties, or a TD, 2 point conversion and safety

1 point, safety on a PAT

Just now, downundermike said:

1 point, safety on a PAT

Extrapolate your answer please

Extrapolate your answer please

turnover on PAT or 2 point try, brought out of endzone, then back into endzone for safety

turnover in PAT or 2, brought out of endzone, then back into endzone for safety

Could you  be any more specific? How would the play unfold

Just now, Aerolithe_Lion said:

Could you  be any more specific?

Team is trying PAT or 2 point conversion, the defense forces a turnover, recovers in the endzone, brings it out of the endzone, then retreats to the endzone and is tackled for a safety

2 minutes ago, downundermike said:

Team is trying PAT or 2 point conversion, the defense forces a turnover, recovers in the endzone, brings it out of the endzone, then retreats to the endzone and is tackled for a safety

Unfortunately this is actually incorrect for.... (edit:) 3 different reasons. I'll let you know in message, but leave it open for others to try and take a crack at it

This one may be too hard, i'll let it stay open for a bit for 2 points and then give a monster hint so it's solved right away.

10 minutes ago, Aerolithe_Lion said:

Unfortunately this is actually incorrect for.... (edit:) 3 different reasons. I'll let you know in message, but leave it open for others to try and take a crack at it

I’m curious why you think that scenario doesn’t result in a point for the defense. I’m pretty sure it does. ANOTHER way the defense gets a point is if the offense goes for two, and for some reason runs 90some yards back into their own end zone and gets tackled there.

1 minute ago, FranklinFldEBUpper said:

I’m curious why you think that scenario doesn’t result in a point for the defense. I’m pretty sure it does. ANOTHER way the defense gets a point is if the offense goes for two, and for some reason runs 90some yards back into their own end zone and gets tackled there.

My issue is I was giving scenarios independently for each point total, not how it would work for the game to be that score.

9 minutes ago, FranklinFldEBUpper said:

If the defensive player possessed the football after a turnover, left the end zone, came back into the end zone and the offense got a safety on him, they would not reward the safety to the defensive player. That would be 11-0 in your first part referencing Mike

You can extrapolate the second part into the complete game score for the points though if you’d like

24 minutes ago, Aerolithe_Lion said:

That's it!

NEXT QUESTION:

The winning team scored a one TD (but missed an extra point attempt), and had 2 safeties.  The losing team got a safety on the winning team's extra point attempt.  

1 minute ago, NCiggles said:

The winning team scored a one TD (but missed an extra point attempt), and had 2 safeties.  The losing team got a safety on the winning team's extra point attempt.  

How did the last part happen, specifically

Just now, Aerolithe_Lion said:

I don't think it matters what type of attempt it is because I believe a return of a loose ball by the team defending the extra point results in a 1 point score regardless of whether there is a 1pt or 2pt attempt.  

Just now, NCiggles said:

I don't think it matters what type of attempt it is because I believe a return of a loose ball by the team defending the extra point results in a 1 point score regardless of whether there is a 1pt or 2pt attempt.  

Unfortunately not, sorry. I will post here why answers are wrong to let the question answer itself inevitably:

https://syndication.bleacherreport.com/amp/2596424-saints-block-pat-become-1st-nfl-team-to-score-defensive-2-point-conversion.amp.html

1 minute ago, NCiggles said:

At this point we should just move along.

Alright well, that question was a bit of a mess, I’ll try and keep them simpler from here on out or this game will stale real quick. 10-1 question is now closed for repair.

NEXT QUESTION:

1. I need a Quarterback

2. He has the most NFL playoff wins against quarterbacks in the hall of fame of anyone in History.

1 minute ago, Aerolithe_Lion said:

@FranklinFldEBUpper give it to me, you know you got it

Really ?? With all the answers we have pretty much laid it out.

10 points, TD with missed PAT and two safeties.

1 point, during missed PAT, defense tackles offensive team in opposite endzone for safety

1 minute ago, downundermike said:

Really ?? With all the answers we have pretty much laid it out.

10 points, TD with missed PAT and two safeties.

1 point, during missed PAT, defense tackles offensive team in opposite endzone for safety

Part of the goal of the game is for people to piece together right answers through the errs of the slightly wrong ones, which is also part of the reason for 1 guess per hint. But maybe questions that require that will be for when there’s more people in here.

4 minutes ago, Aerolithe_Lion said:

1. I need a Quarterback

2. He has the most NFL playoff wins against quarterbacks in the hall of fame of anyone in History.

Bart Starr

Bart Starr

Good guess, not quite

12 hours ago, Aerolithe_Lion said:

Alright well, that question was a bit of a mess, I’ll try and keep them simpler from here on out or this game will stale real quick. 10-1 question is now closed for repair.

NEXT QUESTION:

1. I need a Quarterback

Terry Bradshaw

1 hour ago, NCTANK said:

Terry Bradshaw

That’s 2 points! 

There’s a bonus to this question: Terry Bradshaw won 7 playoff games against Hall of Fame QBs. But he’s not the only one! Who shares this distinction with him?

We’ll treat this as a new question and Everyone is eligible to vote once more