Jalen Carter (Georgia DT) -- DRAFTED BY EAGLES #9!

D-Shiznit

Draft Profile: Bio
Jalen Carter from Apopka High School was rated a 5 star recruit by ESPN and handed a 5 star grade by 247 Sports. Following high school Carter opted to join Georgia.

In 2020 as a freshman Carter saw action in 10 games and played on a total of 287 snaps for the Bulldogs. He recorded 11 tackles, 3 assists, while adding 8 stops. As a pass rusher he added 13 total pressures, which included 9 QB hurries, 2 QB hits, and 2 sacks on the season.

As a sophomore for the Bulldogs in 2021 Carter played in 15 games and took part on 396 snaps for the Bulldogs. He recorded 25 tackles, 7 assists, while adding 21 stops. As a pass rusher he chalked up 34 total pressures, and 24 QB hurries, 6 QB hits, and 4 sacks during the year.

He was the Coaches’ All-SEC 2nd team. To be awarded this he achieved 3.0 QB sacks, 8.5 tackles for loss.
Scouting Report: Strengths
  • Carter has the strong core and powerful hands to shed blockers, and Carter shows excellent instincts with the ability to quickly locate the ball.
  • Can make the impressive chest-to-chest bear hug tackle in the hole due to his ability to wreak havoc in the backfield.
  • Carter is strong enough in the lower body to hold up at the point of attack, and he displays a good feel as a grappler in the phone booth, consistently getting blockers off-balance before sending them to the ground.
  • Despite a bowling-ball build, he has good feet and agility, capable of working laterally down the line of scrimmage in pursuit.
  • Strength gives ends a chance to twist inside and linebackers free lane to the passer on blitzes.
  • He’s a good lateral mover who shows surprising speed for a 300-pounder when chasing the ball carrier in pursuit.
Scouting Report: Weaknesses
  • Carter lacks suddenness as a mover, and Carter isn’t going to do much in the pass rush when working one-on-one.
  • Sees the ball well but is stuck on blocks when head-up; does not shed to make plays often enough.
  • Doesn’t have a lot of range when it comes to pursuing on the backside.

Carter is my favourite prospect in the 2023 class after Will Anderson Jr.

Reuniting him alongside Davis and in front on Dean for years to come would be insane.

Post Draft Edit: Woot!

• Like 3

My favorite pick if we land near the top 5. I like solidifying the interior of the line and he could play DE in some of our fronts. Look towards a DE/EDGE with our other 1st rounder.

• Like 1

Unlike Anderson (sorry) I can actually see us make this pick.

Still think it’s more likely we trade down but Carter would be huge for us.

19 hours ago, Cheesteakitis said:

💪

So much worse than getting dunked on with nuts in your face. 😂 

16 hours ago, ilikepargo said:

Unlikely that he'll still be there for us, but if he is...  Yes please.

Aside from rooting against NO, I am now a huge DEN fan… Carter/Anderson/QB tradeback option at 4 would be nice. Might be able to tradeback at 5 for QB3, but I think there is less juice in that deal (quality of the QB prospect and the perception of what we are giving up).

On 12/6/2022 at 4:35 AM, Infam said:

Unlike Anderson (sorry) I can actually see us make this pick.

Still think it’s more likely we trade down but Carter would be huge for us.

Agreed ... if I had to guess, Carter seems the most likely to be our pick.  Further guessing Howie uses the early pick and tries to trade the latter 1st.  I'm sure he'll be tempted to trade that early 1st for a truckload of picks.  Assuming there will be an offer, will be interesting to see what is presented.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

DLine is my number one priority right now.

Jalen Carter would be a nice fit.

1 hour ago, CouchKing said:

DLine is my number one priority right now.

Jalen Carter would be a nice fit.

Likely out of reach, the Bresee opinions are a bit polarized.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, Peacekeeper said:

Would you give #10 #31 to Arizona #3 to select Carter?

No. Lots of free agents, and about to have a QB on a mega contract, they need as many draft picks as they can get to infuse the team with young talent on the cheap. If anything I’d consider trading #30 to move down a bit and pick up an additional pick. 

• 2 weeks later...
54 minutes ago, iladelphxx said:

I wonder if he slides? 

Was thinking the same thing.

On 2/17/2023 at 5:15 AM, Peacekeeper said:

Would you give #10 #31 to Arizona #3 to select Carter?

I think we gave up a lot more to move up to 2 overall in 2016 to draft Wentz

17 minutes ago, Procus said:

I think we gave up a lot more to move up to 2 overall in 2016 to draft Wentz

Yup, we gave up our first, third and 4th round in 2016, plus a first in 2017, plus a second in 2018, and that was to move from #8 to #2.

22 minutes ago, Cochis_Calhoun said:

Yup, we gave up our first, third and 4th round in 2016, plus a first in 2017, plus a second in 2018, and that was to move from #8 to #2.

It was also for the privilege to select a QB  though, where the rules are always different. It cost Washington 3 1’s to move up from 6 to 2 in 2012, not because that’s the value of the move but because of the QB available that they needed to outbid others to select.

With this recent news, I hope it boils over and also hope he drops far enough for us to snag him at 10

This could really mess with the Bears. They could previously play the Colts and Texans against each other, knowing that if they are at 2 or 4, either way they will still get Carter or Anderson.

Now Carter is damaged goods and the trade down to 4 is riskier.

How far does he drop?  This doesn’t look good.  Out of the first round?  Can teams even assume he’ll be free to play and not in jail?