Jalen Carter (Georgia DT) -- DRAFTED BY EAGLES #9!

D-Shiznit

58 minutes ago, Infam said:

With that pro day, despite what everyone is writing he may be the guy that falls way lower than expected. 

Question is at what point would we want him? At 10? 

I‘d still think he‘d be great at 30.. 😄

The worry is all his scouting reports mention him occasionally looking gassed in games as a concern, and here he is on his pro day, where everyone in his camp must've told him he has to ace it because he's trying to remind the scouts of his talent after his arrest warrants, and instead he comes out having piled on 9lbs in two weeks and is cramping and blowing out his ass after running a few drills.

Teams will ignore minor legal issues around speeding for the right talent, but lacking commitment to the sport when your trying to persuade businesses to pay you 7 figures is like the biggest red flag there is for the level of commitment you'll have when the money hits your account.

It reminds me a bit of when Lendale White was tipped as a first round pick until he turned up at the combine having obviously done nothing but eat since his college season ended.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Cochis_Calhoun said:

The worry is all his scouting reports mention him occasionally looking gassed in games as a concern, and here he is on his pro day, where everyone in his camp must've told him he has to ace it because he's trying to remind the scouts of his talent after his arrest warrants, and instead he comes out having piled on 9lbs in two weeks and is cramping and blowing out his ass after running a few drills.

Teams will ignore minor legal issues around speeding for the right talent, but lacking commitment to the sport when your trying to persuade businesses to pay you 7 figures is like the biggest red flag there is for the level of commitment you'll have when the money hits your account.

It reminds me a bit of when Lendale White was tipped as a first round pick until he turned up at the combine having obviously done nothing but eat since his college season ended.

Couldn’t agree more, but there still is a lot of talent and someone will eventually make that gamble. Question is when and I have no clue.. top10? first round? Surely not below the second round I don’t think. Do you?

3 hours ago, judunno said:

This guy changed my mind. I'm easily influenced 🙂

Love topbillin! Very knowledgeable. Let me check out this vid. I am out on Carter but I got to see what he says because he is a big Georgia fan so he likely has some insight

• Like 1

He's a great player.  But I don't know the Eagles would look past red flags.  Not getting ready for Pro Day is a big deal.  He should have put it off and said he wasn't ready because of legal stuff

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pgcd3 said:

He's a great player.  But I don't know the Eagles would look past red flags.  Not getting ready for Pro Day is a big deal.  He should have put it off and said he wasn't ready because of legal stuff

Just such a strange situation.  He was widely regarded as THE best player in this draft class by quite a few pundits.  People say who cares about the Pro Day performance … check out his tape to get the real evaluation.  I’m on the fence.  We can’t afford to get the pick wrong.  Would love a top young talent at CB … a lot of talk about not having taken one in round 1 since Lito 21 years ago but they did show quite a bit of interest in top CBs the past few years so who knows.  Watch they’ll probably just go the safe route with an OT.  

11 minutes ago, time2rock said:

Just such a strange situation.  He was widely regarded as THE best player in this draft class by quite a few pundits.  People say who cares about the Pro Day performance … check out his tape to get the real evaluation.  I’m on the fence.  We can’t afford to get the pick wrong.  Would love a top young talent at CB … a lot of talk about not having taken one in round 1 since Lito 21 years ago but they did show quite a bit of interest in top CBs the past few years so who knows.  Watch they’ll probably just go the safe route with an OT.  

My guess is a DE like Van Ness. They might like Smith but he's small.  He's like Reddick which is good but not sure you can 2 of those on the field together

1 hour ago, pgcd3 said:

My guess is a DE like Van Ness. They might like Smith but he's small.  He's like Reddick which is good but not sure you can 2 of those on the field together

I’d say DL is the safest bet.  

So I finally got the context of the pro day issue. They were trying to run him to the ground. Plus not many DL working out during the Georgia Proday so reps have less breaks in between. This ain’t the combine where you have 20 guys in between each turn. Plus what Dline you know in the NFL plays 100% of the snaps? We run a rotation so no concern there. 

So in my mind the only red flag is the racing which is a lapse in judgement. He ain’t dealing drugs, beating women or robbing people. He young and if he comes into a strong locker room with his former teammates, DSlay, Fletch, Gram and them he will be all good. 

I changed my tune. I would trade up for him if he falls to 8. No way he gets past the bears at 9

8 hours ago, philafan4o8 said:

So I finally got the context of the pro day issue. They were trying to run him to the ground. Plus not many DL working out during the Georgia Proday so reps have less breaks in between. This ain’t the combine where you have 20 guys in between each turn. Plus what Dline you know in the NFL plays 100% of the snaps? We run a rotation so no concern there. 

So in my mind the only red flag is the racing which is a lapse in judgement. He ain’t dealing drugs, beating women or robbing people. He young and if he comes into a strong locker room with his former teammates, DSlay, Fletch, Gram and them he will be all good. 

I changed my tune. I would trade up for him if he falls to 8. No way he gets past the bears at 9

This is you hearing what you want to hear from his team, the kids supposed to be a pro athlete and he's gassed because the breaks between running 10 yards round three inflatable bumpers weren't long enough?  How did the length of breaks make him gain 9lbs in 2 weeks between the combine and pro day if he was preparing diligently?

If you can't put the work in when you're auditioning for the 4 year minimum $23million dollar contract of a top 10 draft pick, there's sure as crap a questionmark about whether you put the work in when the 5 million dollars for the first year hits your wallet.

Trade up my ass.

• Like 1

On PFF trading up from 10-5 with a 2024, 2nd rounder, should nab us carter or Anderson. I still suspect Howie will trade back to get picks in rounds 4-6. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Cochis_Calhoun said:

This is you hearing what you want to hear from his team, the kids supposed to be a pro athlete and he's gassed because the breaks between running 10 yards round three inflatable bumpers weren't long enough?  How did the length of breaks make him gain 9lbs in 2 weeks between the combine and pro day if he was preparing diligently?

If you can't put the work in when you're auditioning for the 4 year minimum $23million dollar contract of a top 10 draft pick, there's sure as crap a questionmark about whether you put the work in when the 5 million dollars for the first year hits your wallet.

Trade up my ass.

Where you at the proday? Where are you getting your information? So your ass hearing what you want to hear as well lol. Look at his tape and production this season. Does his production DURING the season show you someone that is not getting better?

Hopefully there is not a trade up your ass...If they do trade up for him and he balls out your going to be the first one cheering smh

7 minutes ago, philafan4o8 said:

Where you at the proday? Where are you getting your information? So your ass hearing what you want to hear as well lol. Look at his tape and production this season. Does his production DURING the season show you someone that is not getting better?

Hopefully there is not a trade up your ass...If they do trade up for him and he balls out your going to be the first one cheering smh

No him gaining 9 pounds in two weeks is a matter of record not opinion, It's not that easy to gain 9 pounds in two weeks as an average Joe, but as a prospective pro athlete it suggests he either dehydrated to cut for the weight measure at the combine (why?) or did no athletic prep for his pro day, neither of those options is a great advert for a guy hoping to land a top ten contract.

The looking gassed in games is mentioned as a concern in pretty much every one of his scouting reports.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, jsdarkstar said:

On PFF trading up from 10-5 with a 2024, 2nd rounder, should nab us carter or Anderson. I still suspect Howie will trade back to get picks in rounds 4-6. 

Could always trade back with 30 he has optionality 

• Like 1

On 3/17/2023 at 7:57 AM, Cochis_Calhoun said:

No him gaining 9 pounds in two weeks is a matter of record not opinion, It's not that easy to gain 9 pounds in two weeks as an average Joe, but as a prospective pro athlete it suggests he either dehydrated to cut for the weight measure at the combine (why?) or did no athletic prep for his pro day, neither of those options is a great advert for a guy hoping to land a top ten contract.

The looking gassed in games is mentioned as a concern in pretty much every one of his scouting reports.

At 310 pounds you can easily gain 9 pounds of water weight depending on your electrolyte, carb and water intake timing before a weigh in.  You could argue that it reflects on him as a professional if he isn't prepared to be at his best when needed.  Eagles have two guys who played with him day and day out so if the Eagles take him I will assume they had good info about his football IQ and work ethic.  If they pass on him I will assume they knew something via those sources that drove that decision.

• Like 2

I don’t think JC gets past SEA, but the PFN machine allows it. For whatever reason I think Nolan goes top-20, but would love to have him onboard as well. Tippmann is a big center with some nice athleticism, I think he’d be a nice Dickerson-type G for 2024 and good depth this year.

image.thumb.png.bcab05b2e772be4faad4bb92eca2063c.png

• Like 2

On 3/26/2023 at 4:49 PM, Waiting4Someday said:

I don’t think JC gets past SEA, but the PFN machine allows it. For whatever reason I think Nolan goes top-20, but would love to have him onboard as well. Tippmann is a big center with some nice athleticism, I think he’d be a nice Dickerson-type G for 2024 and good depth this year.

image.thumb.png.bcab05b2e772be4faad4bb92eca2063c.png

That would be a pretty sweet haul.  

Apparently we had Carter in for a pre draft visit.  It'll be very interesting if he's still on the board at 10

40 minutes ago, EaglesAddict said:

Apparently we had Carter in for a pre draft visit.  It'll be very interesting if he's still on the board at 10

Would have to jump up to get him. I don't believe all of this pre-draft FUD will drop his value. That 5th pick would be awesome. If 3 QBs go top 5 you're guaranteed one of Will Anderson, Tyree Wilson, or Jalen Carter. Wonder if Seattle is willing to give that up... man they could be good this year too sheesh.

42 minutes ago, judunno said:

Would have to jump up to get him. I don't believe all of this pre-draft FUD will drop his value. That 5th pick would be awesome. If 3 QBs go top 5 you're guaranteed one of Will Anderson, Tyree Wilson, or Jalen Carter. Wonder if Seattle is willing to give that up... man they could be good this year too sheesh.

Yeah probably.  But those red flags are real, though.  Can't see the Eagles trading up from 10 in a year of limited picks.  I'm sure they're doing their due diligence on him.  We won't know until draft night how "real" the concerns about him actually are.  

The Eagles are in an interesting spot at 10.  The first 9 picks could go something like this: the 4 QBs, Anderson, Wilson, Gonzalez, Witherspoon, and Paris Johnson.  That is a feasible prediction at this point and would leave the Eagles debating Carter at 10.  Prior to all this crap about Carter, we could swap out Johnson and put in Carter as part of the 1st 9 picks and that still would leave the Eagles debating players like Myles Murphy, Van Ness, Johnson or Skorinski.  

If Carter is still there at 10 you simply take him and say a quick thank you prayer right after. 

I think the pick will be OT Paris Johnson if he gets past Chicago at 9. He basically serves 3 purposes ... he can be your backup LT, your starter at RG (experience at Guard unlike Jurgens) and your future RT once Lane hangs em' up.

• Like 4

On 3/29/2023 at 12:43 PM, EaglesAddict said:

Yeah probably.  But those red flags are real, though.  Can't see the Eagles trading up from 10 in a year of limited picks.  I'm sure they're doing their due diligence on him.  We won't know until draft night how "real" the concerns about him actually are.  

The Eagles are in an interesting spot at 10.  The first 9 picks could go something like this: the 4 QBs, Anderson, Wilson, Gonzalez, Witherspoon, and Paris Johnson.  That is a feasible prediction at this point and would leave the Eagles debating Carter at 10.  Prior to all this crap about Carter, we could swap out Johnson and put in Carter as part of the 1st 9 picks and that still would leave the Eagles debating players like Myles Murphy, Van Ness, Johnson or Skorinski.  

They have a wealth of 2024 picks to trade up if they so choose.

There are very few MUST picks, if he is there at 10 we MUST take him. I highly doubt he slips to us though which will trigger Howie to trade back in high teen or low 20s, pick up some draft capital and hope Bijan falls to us. 

• Like 1

On 4/1/2023 at 2:25 PM, judunno said:

They have a wealth of 2024 picks to trade up if they so choose.

i don’t think many people are looking at that they just think we need to trade back we need more picks like it’s a 1 year thing. 

next year projected comp picks

Javon Hargrave ($21 million) - 3   
 Isaac Seumalo ($8 million) - 5  
Andre Dillard ($9.7 million) - 5    
Chauncey Gardner-Johnson ($8 million) - 6

plus 

Eagles' own pick 
Eagles' own pick 
From Saints 

Eagles' own pick 

Eagles' own pick 
From Vikings (can become fourth-round pick if conditions are met) 
Eagles' own pick 

6  Eagles' own pick, or the Titans' sixth-round pick, whichever is better 

that gives us 12 picks next year 5 in the first three rounds!!! and if by some voodoo magic Reagor gets 40 catches or 500 receiving yards that vikings pick turns into a 4th. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Cheesteakitis said:

i don’t think many people are looking at that they just think we need to trade back we need more picks like it’s a 1 year thing. 

next year projected comp picks

Javon Hargrave ($21 million) - 3   
 Isaac Seumalo ($8 million) - 5  
Andre Dillard ($9.7 million) - 5    
Chauncey Gardner-Johnson ($8 million) - 6

plus 

Eagles' own pick 
Eagles' own pick 
From Saints 

Eagles' own pick 

Eagles' own pick 
From Vikings (can become fourth-round pick if conditions are met) 
Eagles' own pick 

6  Eagles' own pick, or the Titans' sixth-round pick, whichever is better 

that gives us 12 picks next year 5 in the first three rounds!!! and if by some voodoo magic Reagor gets 40 catches or 500 receiving yards that vikings pick turns into a 4th. 

To move up from 10, they would have to give up a lot of 2024 draft picks if that's all they were to offer.  Future picks aren't as valuable as current picks when it comes to draft trading.  They could use that strategy to trade up in Round 2 or later when value starts to get a little better.

I just can't see the Eagles trading up from 10...or 30.  They're either going to stick and pick, or trade back from 1 or both first round slots.

• Like 1