Jalen Carter (Georgia DT) -- DRAFTED BY EAGLES #9!

D-Shiznit

2 hours ago, EaglesAddict said:

To move up from 10, they would have to give up a lot of 2024 draft picks if that's all they were to offer.  Future picks aren't as valuable as current picks when it comes to draft trading.  They could use that strategy to trade up in Round 2 or later when value starts to get a little better.

I just can't see the Eagles trading up from 10...or 30.  They're either going to stick and pick, or trade back from 1 or both first round slots.

Not necessarily. If you're only trying to move up a couple of spots it likely costs you a 2024 second based on the value charts. We're not talking about moving all the way to 1 here. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, EaglesAddict said:

To move up from 10, they would have to give up a lot of 2024 draft picks if that's all they were to offer.  Future picks aren't as valuable as current picks when it comes to draft trading.  They could use that strategy to trade up in Round 2 or later when value starts to get a little better.

I just can't see the Eagles trading up from 10...or 30.  They're either going to stick and pick, or trade back from 1 or both first round slots.

correct rule of thumb has always been a pick in the future is worth a round value lower then the current year… though there are a few factors that could raise or lower that opinion.. for what it’s worth i have heard next year looks like a stronger draft class. 

• Like 1

Let’s think about this. Carter is a generational talent and the eagles have good veteran leadership. The Cardinals are likely going to trade out of the 3 spot. That leaves the Colts in no man’s land. What if the the Eagles jump to 4 to get the generational talent and best player in the draft? The Colts can get some extra picks and still trade for Lamar Jackson if they would like. Just thinking aloud

28 minutes ago, philafan4o8 said:

Let’s think about this. Carter is a generational talent and the eagles have good veteran leadership. The Cardinals are likely going to trade out of the 3 spot. That leaves the Colts in no man’s land. What if the the Eagles jump to 4 to get the generational talent and best player in the draft? The Colts can get some extra picks and still trade for Lamar Jackson if they would like. Just thinking aloud

why are the cardinals likely to trade out of number 3?

28 minutes ago, philafan4o8 said:

Didn’t you say you were out on Carter. Now you want to move up to #4. 

I’d trade up but not higher than #7 or #8,  just to get ahead of the Bears without giving up too much. if not, either draft the best available player or trade back. My first preference at DT would be to trade for Jeffery Simmons. 

58 minutes ago, Road to Victory said:

I’d trade up but not higher than #7 or #8,  just to get ahead of the Bears without giving up too much. if not, either draft the best available player or trade back. My first preference at DT would be to trade for Jeffery Simmons. 

i would say carter could be better then simmons if his head is screwed on right (i think it is) plus the fact that he would be cheaper but i don’t know about trading up that high. 

2 hours ago, Cheesteakitis said:

i would say carter could be better then simmons if his head is screwed on right (i think it is) plus the fact that he would be cheaper but i don’t know about trading up that high. 

Yeah, Simmons would cost a ton but he’s a beast and at this point in his career a nice upgrade over Hargrave. I think Howie has something up his sleeve at DT, not sure which direction they go. 

4 hours ago, Cheesteakitis said:

why are the cardinals likely to trade out of number 3?

in my opinion they are in a great position. Too many QB needy teams and 3 QBs are the hot commodities. They will get a deal enough deal that they will seriously consider moving down.

4 hours ago, Road to Victory said:

I did say that but you conveniently left out that I came back and recanted my statements with supporting context. That’s cool, I agree with that as well but I am just having a discussion. I didn’t say say they would or should. I just wouldn’t rule it out given the unique opportunity 

Carter at this point is my favorite pick at #10. That his agent declined any visit to teams outside top ten actually makes me think we told him he‘s our guy..

Carter and Davis for the future.

Let‘s make it happen.

14 hours ago, philafan4o8 said:

I did say that but you conveniently left out that I came back and recanted my statements with supporting context. That’s cool, I agree with that as well but I am just having a discussion. I didn’t say say they would or should. I just wouldn’t rule it out given the unique opportunity 

Not trying to give you a hard time just wondering what your thoughts were. If we could move up 2-3 spots with a 3rd and grab Carter that would be ideal. Then I would love it if they drafted Cody Mauch or Joe Tippmann with the other 1st. Either of those guys could replace Seumalo but Mauch has the potential to eventually replace Lane. Then if they could grab a LB like a Jack Campbell In round 2 would be perfect. 

Daniel Jeremiah of NFL Network says he believes that the #Eagles assured Jalen Carter they would be selecting him if still there at #10, and that that is his "educated guess” of why Carter isn’t taking any meetings outside of the Top 10.

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Rey said:

Daniel Jeremiah of NFL Network says he believes that the #Eagles assured Jalen Carter they would be selecting him if still there at #10, and that that is his "educated guess” of why Carter isn’t taking any meetings outside of the Top 10.

What game is Howie playing… of course, he’s lying or maybe he knows we know he’d be lying.

image.gif.e197fb73d6b9602850d470f84272c565.gif

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Rey said:

That seems like a silly idea from Carter’s standpoint. Why not entice a team picking after 10 (which traditionally is a better team than one picking above 10) into trading up for him?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Rey said:

Stupid.  What's to stop a team that picks in the teens from jumping up to 8 or 9?

14 hours ago, Rey said:

The only reason this holds any kind of weight is because Jeremiah used to work for the team. But I’m still not believing it.

12 hours ago, MidMoFo said:

That seems like a silly idea from Carter’s standpoint. Why not entice a team picking after 10 (which traditionally is a better team than one picking above 10) into trading up for him?

I think the goal was to combat the perception that after the racing incident and pro day he is sliding.

11 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

The only reason this holds any kind of weight is because Jeremiah used to work for the team. But I’m still not believing it.

Perhaps Howie leaked a little misinformation purposely ... he has no intention of taking Carter but puts that out there hoping another team does jump ahead of us to take him which obviously pushes more players we truly covet down to us that he has legit interest in drafting.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, time2rock said:

Perhaps Howie leaked a little misinformation purposely ... he has no intention of taking Carter but puts that out there hoping another team does jump ahead of us to take him which obviously pushes more players we truly covet down to us that he has legit interest in drafting.  

I’m anticipating the Steelers trade up to 10 for Paris Johnson to give us a beautiful haul

I do rather give up 30 for Simmons. Carter is not giving out good vibes even though he is very talented.

5 hours ago, Ajxxx said:

I do rather give up 30 for Simmons. Carter is not giving out good vibes even though he is very talented.

We need players on cheaper (relatively speaking) rookie contracts, cost controlled for the next 4-5 years.  With a mega deal for Hurts on the horizon and pretty much run out of options for restructures on veteran contracts, a trade for someone like Simmons just isn’t feasible.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, time2rock said:

We need players on cheaper (relatively speaking) rookie contracts, cost controlled for the next 4-5 years.  With a mega deal for Hurts on the horizon and pretty much run out of options for restructures on veteran contracts, a trade for someone like Simmons just isn’t feasible.  

Exactly ... have to figure Jalen's contract first before we can start tying up more future money; especially a big money one like Simmons would command. 

• 3 weeks later...

I think the eagles will need to move up to 3 to draft Carter. It will likely cost 10, 30 and a 2nd next year to make the move. If that is the case, you do it in a heartbeat imo

6 minutes ago, philafan4o8 said:

I think the eagles will need to move up to 3 to draft Carter. It will likely cost 10, 30 and a 2nd next year to make the move. If that is the case, you do it in a heartbeat imo

Crazy how it went from OMG he's going to fall out of the top 20... don't want. To now you may have to go all the way to 3 to get him in less than a month. Gotta love draft time.