Official Philadelphia Phillies Thread - 2024. Bums. Who even loses at home???

Captain F

What i said the other day that wheeler might ask for too much and Montgomery would at least give them some protection in case he leaves 

On 2/8/2024 at 12:56 PM, iladelphxx said:

FB_IMG_1707432970164.thumb.jpg.38f7e91941d61f7453793a253d240023.jpg

I wonder how he'd do as a closer 

The Phillies should have signed him the day he said this. They have a desperate need for starting pitching, really pitching in general. The chick lied, and he was never charged with anything. 

6 minutes ago, devpool said:

The Phillies should have signed him the day he said this. They have a desperate need for starting pitching, really pitching in general. The chick lied, and he was never charged with anything. 

Tbh i think they want Montgomery especially at the right price. Kind of reminds me of wheeler in the sense he showed a lot of promise to start his career. Then had two injury years. A 2020 disaster then has become one of the better pitchers in baseball. He’s gotten better each of the last 3 years and stayed healthy. Era from 3.83 to 3.47 to 3.20 (under 3 with the rangers this year after being traded). His last 3 years he’s averaging 175 innings, 162 Ks, 1.19 WHIP and 3.50 ERA. He’s 30 and if you get him on a 4 year contract likely getting the prime of his career. He also protects you if wheeler leaves in FA in 2025 offseason. 

24 minutes ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

Tbh i think they want Montgomery especially at the right price. Kind of reminds me of wheeler in the sense he showed a lot of promise to start his career. Then had two injury years. A 2020 disaster then has become one of the better pitchers in baseball. He’s gotten better each of the last 3 years and stayed healthy. Era from 3.83 to 3.47 to 3.20 (under 3 with the rangers this year after being traded). His last 3 years he’s averaging 175 innings, 162 Ks, 1.19 WHIP and 3.50 ERA. He’s 30 and if you get him on a 4 year contract likely getting the prime of his career. He also protects you if wheeler leaves in FA in 2025 offseason. 

I mean, why not both? Bauer will pitch for league minimum, get them both you get one season out of Bauer and then however long they would sign Montgomery for. But for a run it back season Bauer makes sense, low risk high reward. If he returns to form and they get Montgomery, the pitching staff is incredible

1 hour ago, devpool said:

I mean, why not both? Bauer will pitch for league minimum, get them both you get one season out of Bauer and then however long they would sign Montgomery for. But for a run it back season Bauer makes sense, low risk high reward. If he returns to form and they get Montgomery, the pitching staff is incredible

I’m guessing he won’t sign here if they sign Montgomery. Essentially have wheeler, Nola, Montgomery, Ranger and Walker. Plus Sanchez. He’d likely go somewhere he definitive role in the rotation. If they dealt Walker it would make sense for both. I’m for it as a low risk high reward but i don’t see them getting both Montgomery and Bauer. I think Bauer would likely choose another contender that has a definite slot for him in the rotation. 

1 hour ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

I’m guessing he won’t sign here if they sign Montgomery. Essentially have wheeler, Nola, Montgomery, Ranger and Walker. Plus Sanchez. He’d likely go somewhere he definitive role in the rotation. If they dealt Walker it would make sense for both. I’m for it as a low risk high reward but i don’t see them getting both Montgomery and Bauer. I think Bauer would likely choose another contender that has a definite slot for him in the rotation. 

The question is does he really have a choice? And if the choice is between someone like Oakland or Colorado and the Phillies, do you think he would prefer playing time on those teams vs a chance to win and possibly get more on a second contract with the Phillies? 

If I were the Phillies I'd have offered him that day to see how serious he was, because it sounds like he'll take any opportunity 

42 minutes ago, devpool said:

The question is does he really have a choice? And if the choice is between someone like Oakland or Colorado and the Phillies, do you think he would prefer playing time on those teams vs a chance to win and possibly get more on a second contract with the Phillies? 

If I were the Phillies I'd have offered him that day to see how serious he was, because it sounds like he'll take any opportunity 

I’d still think he’d take the A’s cause he’s guaranteed a roster spot and rotation spot. the likelihood is if he’s good he’s being dealt at the deadline to a contender as the A’s would try to get prospects for him. The issue is coming here if also sign Montgomery, he’s not going to be guaranteed a roster spot nor spot in the rotation. Those places he likely is going to be and eventually used as a trade chip 

if we sign Montgomery he’s not guaranteed a spot in the rotation cause wheeler, nola, Montgomery, Ranger are definitely 1-4. It would be Walker, Sanchez and Bauer for 5th. Also Potentially Abel in there. I’m guessing the Phillies having Walker and Sanchez wouldn’t bring in Bauer at that point. Even if he goes to a bad or mediocre team he likely is he’s being dealt to a contender at the deadline if he hits. Feels like a team like the pirates, A’s, KC would give him a shot and then cash in on it at the deadline.

46 minutes ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

I’d still think he’d take the A’s cause he’s guaranteed a roster spot and rotation spot. the likelihood is if he’s good he’s being dealt at the deadline to a contender as the A’s would try to get prospects for him. The issue is coming here if also sign Montgomery, he’s not going to be guaranteed a roster spot nor spot in the rotation. Those places he likely is going to be and eventually used as a trade chip 

if we sign Montgomery he’s not guaranteed a spot in the rotation cause wheeler, nola, Montgomery, Ranger are definitely 1-4. It would be Walker, Sanchez and Bauer for 5th. Also Potentially Abel in there. I’m guessing the Phillies having Walker and Sanchez wouldn’t bring in Bauer at that point. Even if he goes to a bad or mediocre team he likely is he’s being dealt to a contender at the deadline if he hits. Feels like a team like the pirates, A’s, KC would give him a shot and then cash in on it at the deadline.

If he's even close to what he was before the suspension he's easily overtaking Ranger for #4, they can move Walker or Sanchez to the pen. He's easily more talented than our current 3-5 if he can play at 80% of his pre suspension level

Maybe they go for him if they strike out on Monty.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, devpool said:

If he's even close to what he was before the suspension he's easily overtaking Ranger for #4, they can move Walker or Sanchez to the pen. He's easily more talented than our current 3-5 if he can play at 80% of his pre suspension level

Maybe they go for him if they strike out on Monty.

That’s a big If cause that was multiple years ago. I’m guessing he’s probably solid still. But if the Phillies sign Montgomery it makes more sense for him to go elsewher. He’s not going to be guaranteed anything here in terms of rotation or roster. He would somewhere else that needs him more. I think he’d choose that. I think he’d choose a guaranteed spot in the rotation and roster spot with a pirates, A’s or team like that and he’d likely know he’d be dealt at the deadline to a contender.

i think they would get one or the other not both. If we can unload walker it would make more sense. 

Bauer has a rep as a bad teammate.... thats not counting his other issues with his public rep.

Not sure the Phils want that type of attention. Nor mixing it in to the clubhouse.

18 minutes ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

This is a good low risk/high reward move.  

He threw a no hitter and put up solid numbers before needing Tommy John 

19 hours ago, devpool said:

The Phillies have the opposite of a "desperate need for starting pitching" 

They have probably the deepest starting pitching depth in all of baseball and are ranked #1 or #2 by most Stat sites going into this season. 

https://www.fangraphs.com/depthcharts.aspx?position=SP

They were also the #1 Ranked pitching staff last season 

https://www.fangraphs.com/leaders/major-league?pos=all&stats=pit&lg=all&qual=0&type=8&season=2023&month=0&season1=2023&ind=0&team=0,ts&rost=0&age=0&filter=&players=0

6 minutes ago, iladelphxx said:

They have probably the deepest starting pitching depth in all of baseball and are ranked #1 or #2 by most Stat sites going into this season. 

https://www.fangraphs.com/leaders/major-league?pos=all&stats=pit&lg=all&qual=0&type=8&season=2023&month=0&season1=2023&ind=0&team=0,ts&rost=0&age=0&filter=&players=0

Yea I'm gonna go ahead and say that this is where stats don't tell an entire story. If you felt comfortable running it back with the same starters you've lost the plot. Nola is ridiculously inconsistent, Sanchez is unproven, Suarez is a good 4 who can barely go through the lineup twice, they didn't even use walker in the postseason so what does that say about their trust in him? Wheeler is the only consistent top 3 pitcher they have. Yea, they're in desperate need for starting pitching. Why do you think it was such a blow losing painter until 2025? Because they have no one behind wheeler and a very streaky Nola. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, iladelphxx said:

I’m fine with them signing Montgomery if it’s like a 3-4 year deal. 

1. Nola was super inconsistent last year. If he is inconsistent again it gives us the ability to not have to just hope Nola regains himself in the postseason. Going into the postseason we had no clue what Nola we were getting. Fortunately he was good. Very easily could’ve been what he was all year and killed you. 

2. want wheeler back but he’s apparently asking for a boatload according to Salisbury. If he’s asking for a lot and years too then he might ultimately not be back. I know they want him back that doesn’t mean he won’t test Fa and if he gets something ridiculous he might not be back. Like eskin said it gives them some protection in case he does leave. And if he stays that’s a hell Of a 1-4 and you got painter coming back in 2025. That’s an elite rotation and can use Walker in a trade in 2025 (hope he is better this year)

3. Ranger never stays healthy all year. So need another arm to have 6 starters. Currently it’s Nola, wheeler, ranger, walker and Sanchez. With turnbull who was awful last year and might never be good again. Abel is unlikely ready to be a mlb pitcher. Don’t want to have to rely on strahm as a SP again. 

4. A chance with the amount of innings Sanchez pitches that he regressed. He never threw that many til last year. Could have a situation that a lot of pitchers have where they pitch a peak amount of innings one year and have a regression.

5. If it’s a 3-4 year deal for Montgomery it’s a good contract. He’s been good/great the last 3 years and in the postseason last year. Plus he is a left. Allows us to go wheeler, Montgomery, Nola, Ranger and Walker/sanchez. Heck of a r-l-r-l-r rotation. 

The end of this quote 

Apparantly they changed the nameplate font on the jerseys 

Screenshot_20240214_151329_Facebook.jpg

17328359-1.jpg

1 hour ago, iladelphxx said:

Apparantly they changed the nameplate font on the jerseys 

Screenshot_20240214_151329_Facebook.jpg

17328359-1.jpg

The almighty nike is changing all.... Lord I hate that company.

It looks and probably is... cheaper.

5 hours ago, Steve 17 said:

The almighty nike is changing all.... Lord I hate that company.

It looks and probably is... cheaper.

There have been some huge complaints from Cardinals players on jerseys with changed nameplates and cheap-o jerseys.  It could be a league-wide problem.