Official Philadelphia Phillies Thread - 2024. New Year. Same BS.

Captain F

Giving up 5 runs to the A's is like giving up 10 to a real team

8 minutes ago, Joe Shades 73 said:

Giving up 5 runs to the A's is like giving up 10 to a real team

spacer.png

• Like 1

Man, I just saw the Dan Baker video.... I didn't realize he was that messed up 

2 hours ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

spacer.png

Have to make it to the playoffs to blow it there :whistle:

"Philadelphia is the only city, where you can experience the thrill of victory and the agony of reading about it the next day."

- Mike Schmidt

• Like 2

It has nothing to do with someone being cool as ice or being a gamer.  Sometimes a kid just needs to be comfortable.  

Stott is adjusting to MLB life, MLB at bats, MLB pressure in the field.

Why the F ask him to play a new position?  We’ve seen this movie before.  Put the kid at SS unless your plan is for him to top out as a utility infielder.  Then if that’s the case, by all means, bounce him around and Kingery him like a utility infielder.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Joe Shades 73 said:

Have to make it to the playoffs to blow it there :whistle:

spacer.png

• Haha 2

I’m overseas and didn’t see the opener.  Obviously, we won, but I’m curious about people’s opinions on the plate approaches of our new bats.  How are they looking?

Bats are looking pretty good so far. Power is helping. Stranded some runners in game 2.

Maybe that's a function of pitchers having a short spring training and being unprepared to pitch long innings, place pitches, throw strikes.

I see some of our pitchers as not ready as well. 

I think I saw at least 4 Phillies pitches bounced into home plate yesterday.

And there was a Bad News Bear play in the 9th inning in game 2, yesterday:

Up 4-1, no outs, Oakland runner on first. Knebel throws high for passed ball. Realmuto recovers ball, throws to 2nd for Oakland runner stealing. Ball gets past infield. Runner to 3rd. Yikes.

Kyle Gibson threw a gem yesterday. Ball park was almost full. Phillies bats and starting pitching showed up. Bullpen was uncertain at best and not throwing strikes.

• Like 1

2 games in but same problems remain.  Defense is bad and bullpen is shaky.  The lineup will mask those somewhat, but I don’t see more than a wild card berth at this point.

• Like 1

Defense bad... I don't know.

Jean Segura made a great play at second. Camargo in for Bohm chased a pop fly into the outfield. 

And, we turned an awesome double play in the nineth with no outs to help seal the deal.

3 hours ago, GoEagles5921 said:

2 games in but same problems remain.  Defense is bad and bullpen is shaky.  The lineup will mask those somewhat, but I don’t see more than a wild card berth at this point.

I think the 8th and 9th innings with Dominguez and knebel is going to be good. And an improvement. Problem with the pen is when we take our starter out in the 5th or 6th we have crap to bridge to get to Dominguez. 

Tbh not sure why we didn’t start bohm after his day yesterday. He was 2-2 and walked. Camaro should really only be used as a defensive replacement at third or if we are in the grind of the season and bohm/stott needs a day off. I hate not letting a young player build on his success the day before (nothing to do with camargo’s day just in general)

• Like 1

Haven't seen them yet...... but..... 50+ years of Philly ups and downs have made me cautious. 

They’re going to rest guys a lot because they’re playing every day.  Look at the schedule this month.

1 hour ago, Dave Moss said:

Only off day left in April is the 21st.

A3247704-E93D-4CBB-A864-6877C1952231.jpeg

That's brutal.  2 months 3 days off.  Geez

11 minutes ago, What The F said:

That's brutal.  2 months 3 days off.  Geez

Yeah, any player in MLB who plays every game this year is a true iron man.  What a grind.

39 minutes ago, Dave Moss said:

Yeah, any player in MLB who plays every game this year is a true iron man.  What a grind.

I’m guessing there’s likely a couple rain outs this month. Usually april we have at least 1-2 of them. But still that is a brutal schedule