Official Philadelphia Phillies Thread - 2024. New Year. Same BS.

Captain F

Phillies committed six errors in the three-game series against the Blue Jays.  No wonder Girardi is pissed.

Meanwhile, GABE FING KAPLER has the Giants at 24-16, leading the division.  

Maybe our players just suck?

16 minutes ago, mikemack8 said:

To be honest, Gabe and the Phillies had good records at this part of the season during his 2 years here and we all saw how it ended. Let's wait and see where both teams are at the end of the season. 

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, vsptroops said:

To be honest, Gabe and the Phillies had good records at this part of the season during his 2 years here and we all saw how it ended. Let's wait and see where both teams are at the end of the season. 

I already know where the Phillies will be - right around .500

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, mikemack8 said:

I already know where the Phillies will be - right around .500

No doubt and I'm sure the Giants will be right there with them. 

They really needed this day off

1 hour ago, mikemack8 said:

So does Kapler

3 hours ago, mikemack8 said:

I mean our drafting and developing of players has been awful for a while now. They sucked from 2012-2019 and really awful for like 4 years don’t have much to show for it. Haseley and moniak were top 10 and no. 1 pick both look like they are busts for where they were selected. Then look at the roster hoskins, Herrera and Bohm are the only everyday players that were drafted and developed by the Phillies and really Herrera, hoskins aren’t all that great and bohm is struggling.  

3 games series against the marlins so likelihood is we lose 2 of 3 

9 hours ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

I mean our drafting and developing of players has been awful for a while now. They sucked from 2012-2019 and really awful for like 4 years don’t have much to show for it. Haseley and moniak were top 10 and no. 1 pick both look like they are busts for where they were selected. Then look at the roster hoskins, Herrera and Bohm are the only everyday players that were drafted and developed by the Phillies and really Herrera, hoskins aren’t all that great and bohm is struggling.  

This is what matters in baseball.

In football, Xs/Os, matchups, play calling are crucial. 

In baseball, 90% of fans can make 95% of the managerial decisions.  Decisions to pull pitchers and make double-switches are what get second-guessed in the media, but that stuff is of small consequence, to be honest.  If your starter can't go 5 innings, your bullpen sucks, and you have few reliable bats, you are going to make lots of lineup decisions that don't look good.  And if your roster is stacked, you look like a genius.

Gabe may or may not have ruined a lot of young hitters with this launch angle emphasis and everything being a walk, strikeout, or home run.  I don't agree with that mentality and prefer the old-fashioned A to C swing, line drives, contact, and batting average.  But I digress.  The bottom line is that either the drafting or the development, most likely both, has just been really bad.  I can't blame ONLY the drafting...because when they do have players who emerge as top-level prospects with league-wide attention, they almost always level off (or crater) in their development.  Something seems to be amiss with the organizational emphasis and execution in hitting development.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, eagle45 said:

This is what matters in baseball.

In football, Xs/Os, matchups, play calling are crucial. 

In baseball, 90% of fans can make 95% of the managerial decisions.  Decisions to pull pitchers and make double-switches are what get second-guessed in the media, but that stuff is of small consequence, to be honest.  If your starter can't go 5 innings, your bullpen sucks, and you have few reliable bats, you are going to make lots of lineup decisions that don't look good.  And if your roster is stacked, you look like a genius.

Gabe may or may not have ruined a lot of young hitters with this launch angle emphasis and everything being a walk, strikeout, or home run.  I don't agree with that mentality and prefer the old-fashioned A to C swing, line drives, contact, and batting average.  But I digress.  The bottom line is that either the drafting or the development, most likely both, has just been really bad.  I can't blame ONLY the drafting...because when they do have players who emerge as top-level prospects with league-wide attention, they almost always level off (or crater) in their development.  Something seems to be amiss with the organizational emphasis and execution in hitting development.

Couldn't agree more. That's the difference with baseball. Over the course of 162 games the managerial decisions are not super important. The talent level of the players and their development is really what matters over the long haul. Playoff baseball though, managers can be the difference at times for sure. Most of it seems to be almost luck more than anything. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, BirdsFanBill said:

Couldn't agree more. That's the difference with baseball. Over the course of 162 games the managerial decisions are not super important. The talent level of the players and their development is really what matters over the long haul. Playoff baseball though, managers can be the difference at times for sure. Most of it seems to be almost luck more than anything. 

With baseball, managerial decisions are like a 4 question multiple choice test.

The caveat is that you can have 4 wrong options at times, 3 right options at other times.  

If you stack the deck with talent, then your manager is going to make the right decision more often than not.

• Like 1

Big Series coming up

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Joe Shades 73 said:

Big Series coming up

True test 

6 minutes ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

True test 

4d9e3dde2ef15aebcd731687b139637e.jpg

• Like 1

At least they didn’t wait like Dominguez 

• Sad 1

Offense really came to play tonight

I Love this **** i might move to England 

spacer.png

4 minutes ago, Green_Guinness said:

Maton for President!

5 minutes ago, EaglesRocker97 said:

Maton is good.

He’s what Scott kingery should’ve been 

Neris time.  Give up 2 runs but still pick up the save.

7 minutes ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

I Love this **** i might move to England 

spacer.png

He’s what Scott kingery should’ve been 

I'd rather have him as our manager.  And he's dead.

• Haha 2

14 minutes ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

I know I’m not the only one who turned it off before the 8th.......right?

Weak. I checked into the hospital last night with my wife after her water broke and was still watching the entire game on my phone. Great comeback win. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, BirdsFanBill said:

Weak. I checked into the hospital last night with my wife after her water broke and was still watching the entire game on my phone. Great comeback win. 

Gotta be careful with that.  My wife still talks about me watching the NCAA Tournament at the hospital when our daughter was born and that baby just turned 16 years old in March.  Lol

• Haha 5