Official Philadelphia Phillies Thread - 2024. First to 20 Wins!

Captain F

47 minutes ago, BirdsFanBill said:

Phillies up 11-0 right now.

I just feel like if when they lose their first two spring training games and you think they are the worst team in baseball, you should at least proclaim them the greatest team to ever play since they are up 11-0 against the vaunted Yankees in game 4 of Spring Training.

Don’t worry i fully expect the Phillies to finish just around .500 and miss the playoffs to complete the decade long failure of not making the playoffs 

48 minutes ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

Don’t worry i fully expect the Phillies to finish just around .500 and miss the playoffs to complete the decade long failure of not making the playoffs 

I agree with this

1 hour ago, BirdsFanBill said:

Phillies up 11-0 right now.

I just feel like if when they lose their first two spring training games and you think they are the worst team in baseball, you should at least proclaim them the greatest team to ever play since they are up 11-0 against the vaunted Yankees in game 4 of Spring Training.

Smoke and mirrors

9 hours ago, Joe Shades 73 said:

I agree with this

Smoke and mirrors

I feel like the Phillies out of the 4 major franchises always has the longest playoff droughts since the 80s. 

5 hours ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

I feel like the Phillies out of the 4 major franchises always has the longest playoff droughts since the 80s. 

But the scary part for Philadelphia sports teams is the have two championships since '80 which is the most of any other team and equal to all the other teams combined (Sixers 1, Flyers 0, Eagles 1).....let that sink in.....

The ‘80 championship was their first ever though after being founded in 1883.

In comparison, the other teams have won multiple championships in a much shorter time period.

The Flyers haven't done crap in like 50 years yet their fans act like they are one of the NHL dynasty teams

7 hours ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

Well, to be fair, baseball has a lower % of its team make the postseason than the other sports. Especially in the 1980s and early 1990s when only 4 teams made it. 

But also, the Phillies tend to suck for generations. I became a fan in the mid 1980s, and I never considered the possibility of being in the NLCS. 

6 minutes ago, vikas83 said:

Well, to be fair, baseball has a lower % of its team make the postseason than the other sports. Especially in the 1980s and early 1990s when only 4 teams made it. 

Yeah but there’s been like half decades and decades like what we just saw from the Phillies where they haven’t had a winning season. Like go from 1983 the end of that run. From 87-92 they didn’t have a winning season (84-92 had one winning season). From 94-2000 didn’t have a winning season. From 2012-2020 didn’t have a winning season. So in the 37 seasons since that last run they haven’t had a winning season in 25 percent of them. Means 68% of the time they really werent even close to a playoff spot. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

Yeah but there’s been like half decades and decades like what we just saw from the Phillies where they haven’t had a winning season. Like go from 1983 the end of that run. From 87-92 they didn’t have a winning season (84-92 had one winning season). From 94-2000 didn’t have a winning season. From 2012-2020 didn’t have a winning season. So in the 37 seasons since that last run they haven’t had a winning season in 25 percent of them. Means 68% of the time they really werent even close to a playoff spot. 

See edit above. I hit "submit reply" too fast. The Phillies have never been able to pull off a real run of sustained success -- even 2007-2011 was only a 5 year playoff streak. Teams like the Braves seem to always be in the conversation despite not spending like the Yankees or the Red Sox. Same with the Cardinals.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, vikas83 said:

See edit above. I hit "submit reply" too fast. The Phillies have never been able to pull off a real run of sustained success -- even 2007-2011 was only a 5 year playoff streak. Teams like the Braves seem to always be in the conversation despite not spending like the Yankees or the Red Sox. Same with the Cardinals.

It’s why i think people don’t appreciate Ed wade as much as they should. He did a terrific job of drafting and developing guys so that when gillick took over they were just a piece here and there away from a run. He kind of did the same thing in Houston with their farm system. He just got fired before he reaped the benefits of it. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, BirdsFanBill said:

Harper is the man

• Like 1

Haseley morphing into Roman Quinn in front of our eyes 

• Haha 1

Phillies hitting coach Joe Dillon turned back the clock last spring.

"He got me back to where I used to be my whole life,” Moniak said. "I’ve always thought: short and quick, kind of the old-school way, almost swinging down. Obviously, all the new analytics come into play. There’s more information about swings and what guys do well, and I tried to add that to my game. I think for a few years in the Minor Leagues, I got away from myself, as far as trying to do too much, trying to put power numbers up when I should have been sticking to gap-to-gap, doing what always what I've always done well.

"You hear guys like A-Rod and Mike Trout talk. They always talk about swinging down. They combat this new-school way of thinking. Obviously, you watch their swings and they’re not swinging down. It’s just a huge thought process. So, for me, it was getting back to staying in the middle of the field, hitting line drives. If I’m going to hit a homer, it’s going to be an accident. Hopefully, we have a lot of accidents during the season.”

I'm so glad we're moving away from the square peg, round hole BS that Kapler and Klentak pushed with forcing guys to throw up in the zone or become obsessed with launch angles... 

Let Elfin throw sinkers and let guys like Moniak hit line drives..... 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, iladelphxx said:

You mean not using launch angle and just being comfortable. Who would’ve known it didn’t work for hoskins and moniak 

Moniak is up to 205 (He was 165 in his first Spring Training)

Here are his stats through the first 9 games:

image.thumb.png.94f6c0e0f2f8589c2938bfc20c74b29a.png

I'd be thrilled if he finally put it together

• Like 1

Only ten at bats in nine games is kind of telling, I'd say. If they truly thought he were about to make a breakthrough, I suspect he'd actually be playing more.

2023 Phillies VS Blue Jays 30 years later rematch, Bryce Harper wins it with a home run in game 7 :phil:

On 3/11/2021 at 3:43 PM, Joe Shades 73 said:

2023 Phillies VS Blue Jays 30 years later rematch, Bryce Harper wins it with a home run in game 7 :phil:

Where did you hear that?  Did you read it in Biff Tannen’s Sports Almanac from the future?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, The_Omega said:

Where did you hear that?  Did you read it in Biff Tannen’s Sports Almanac from the future?

I knew someone would ask me that

back-to-the-future-part-II-biff-1291445.

• Haha 1

Blue jays brought their Top lineup and crushed Nola :thumbdown:

On 3/11/2021 at 1:43 PM, Joe Shades 73 said:

Might want to extend this to the 50 years later and 2043 with how it’s going.