Official Philadelphia Phillies Thread - 2024. New Year. Same BS.

Captain F

18 minutes ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

I don't know dimensions.  But it was considerable.  Of course, we'll need to wait and see what all of the new rules are.  But it was made to seem the other day that the pitch clock, shift ban and the larger bases was a done deal.  Which is great.  

Yeah.  But we're in the Harper era and it's going to help....a ton.  

While I enjoyed watching Harper bunt for singles, I am glad he will no longer have to.

• Like 1

Glad they are banning the shift. At first I was one of those "old school" guys who wondered why hitters just couldn't hit the ball to the other side. Over the last couple of years, especially with the proliferation of guys throwing in the high 90's and even over a hundred mph on a consistent basis, I realize it isn't going to happen organically. I hope this is the start of going back to the old school baseball style of hit and runs, butting guys over, stealing bases (I miss the days of watching Rickey Henderson and Vince Coleman swipe 80-100 bags a year) and more hitting for contact. I would like MLB to reduce the amount of pitchers can have on their 26 man roster as well.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

I’ll be curious what fails the Phillies again this year. Can it be the bullpen for a third year in a row? 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

8CE113FE-7392-4E7A-9DB3-7D1E1520A251.jpeg

Let's get 4 of the top 10. Let's go.

• Haha 4

4 hours ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

8CE113FE-7392-4E7A-9DB3-7D1E1520A251.jpeg

Bryant and Rodon please. 

Last day in clearwater, heading back to snowing PA tomorrow... figures. At least got to see the minor leaguers at Carpenter and an 11 inning game (for free) at spectrum field. 

• Like 1

Matt Chapman: A logical target for Phillies

Depending upon how far the A’s go with their selloff, they could alter the landscape of the National League, if not the entire majors.

Prior to the lockout, the Dodgers showed interest in right-hander Chris Bassitt. The Braves, if they lose free agent Freddie Freeman, almost certainly will go hard for first baseman Matt Olson. And the Philliesmatch up for a number of A’s players — third baseman Matt Chapman, center fielder Ramón Laureano, reliever Lou Trivino.

Chapman, who is under club control for two more seasons, would be the biggest prize from that group. Third baseman Alec Bohm, whom new Phillies hitting coach Kevin Long recently predicted "would be a force in this league for a long time,” would be a natural target for Oakland. Center fielder Johan Rojas, the Phillies’ No. 5 prospect according to Keith Law, is another potential trade chip.

32 minutes ago, Shepard Wong said:

No thanks.

2 minutes ago, Dave Moss said:

Roman Quinn is now a Miami Marlin

Naturally he’ll now stay healthy and hit .289 and be an everyday centerfielder. 

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

Why would the Phillies be interested in a guy like this if he is the equivalent of Maikel Franco? Better off just sticking with Bohm.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, vsptroops said:

Why would the Phillies be interested in a guy like this if he is the equivalent of Maikel Franco? Better off just sticking with Bohm.

He’s truly an elite defender with decent power.  He had one really elite season a few years back where he hit like 280 but that seems like it may have been an anomaly . Maybe they think the elimination of the shift may help him but that’s a guess.   It would be dumb to give up a top prospect for him though.

15 minutes ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

Dang it.  

A former Met, gross. Hopefully it is only a 1 year contract.

5 hours ago, vsptroops said:

He's the opposite of Franco and Bohm in the field.... 

He's a 3x Gold Glove winner 

Screenshot_20220313-005746_Chrome.jpg