Official Philadelphia Phillies Thread - 2024. New Year. Same BS.

Captain F

It’s the same song and dance with this team every year for the past 3 years. They’ll play lousy for long stretches. Then get hot for like 2 weeks to give some hope then back to lousy for 3 weeks. Ultimately they finish right at or below .500. It’s a mediocre team with a bad farm system that really failed to build up the farm and develop the talent when they were going through a complete rebuild. 

• Like 2

They suck. They have one reliable starting pitcher. One. The bullpen sucks. The offense is inconsistent and unreliable. The defense is putrid. Us getting excited when they get one game over 500 is sad.

9 hours ago, John Blutarski said:

They suck. They have one reliable starting pitcher. One. The bullpen sucks. The offense is inconsistent and unreliable. The defense is putrid. Us getting excited when they get one game over 500 is sad.

I hate to be the one that said told you so. I will not be duped by this team. A few years ago the flyers won 10 in a row and everyone went crazy, you know what happened after? they lost 10 in a row because they were what they were an average team

22 minutes ago, iladelphxx said:

Wow. They better know that Bryant will extend otherwise they just traded their best prospect for a rental 

39 minutes ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

I know the bullpen sucks.  But does it matter when we have 1 good starter right now?  I can’t believe I have to look at VV…..still.  

I think if they make a move they should go after a starter cause they need one this year and next anyway. If they are going to make a move for a pitcher i rather it be a starter cause bullpen guys are up and down way more year to year. Kimbrel has been awesome this year but last year had a 5.28 era and the season before 6.53. He’s likely to be back next year with how he’s pitching and could just as easily revert back to 2019 and 2020form. I’d frankly go after someone like marquez from the Rockies. Been good the last 2 years and is still relatively young and they’d deal him. Plus gives you wheeler, Marquez, Nola and eflin going into next year 

If i were to make a 25 man roster of players i just hated that played for the Phillies the first three I’m using are Velasquez, pivetta and Eric bruntlett

30 minutes ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

Spencer Howard is a pssy.  Plain and simple.  Guy gets a hit and falls apart.  Again!   Now he’s got a boo boo on his finger.  F that kid.  Send him down and keep him down until he mans up.  What a disgrace.  

He was their "top pitching prospect ". Let that sink in. I agree, he is just a loser. 

7 minutes ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

Then there is Moniak.  More dreck.  

He was their #1 draft pick 5 years ago and still looks like he belongs in high school. 

Best win of the season (so far)

Mets split their doubleheader with the Braves so the Phils are 3.5 games back

Totally forgot about Seranthony 

Still need to sell, no parade for winning division, they are not WS caliber

5 minutes ago, Joe Shades 73 said:

Still need to sell, no parade for winning division, they are not WS caliber

I personally wouldn’t give up what the asking price is for kimbrel. He’s been amazing this year but the previous two years he was 5 and 6 ERA. He is signed for 2022 at 16 mil (i think it’s around there). He easily could revert next year back to his past two years and you give up big prospects for 2 months of 2021. If they make a move i prefer they trade for a starter that’s here past this year or a positional player that is in the same boat. And lesser prospects for bullpen arms that can help 

• Like 1

They should pick up a dependable 3/4 starter and a reliable bullpen arm. That’s as far as I would go. Would not give up any significant prospects or trade for position players.

2 hours ago, Blazehound said:

They should pick up a dependable 3/4 starter and a reliable bullpen arm. That’s as far as I would go. Would not give up any significant prospects or trade for position players.

I’d consider picking up a no. 2 if one was available tbh. Like German marquez of the Rockies has been really good so far this season and under contract for another 3 more years. Rockies willing to move him. He’s only 26. Would give you potentially a wheeler, Marquez, nola and eflin rotation which is pretty good. Means offseason you only need a 5th starter. 

I think I’d like to see a starter as well.  Especially with Eflin still on the shelf.  I don’t really know who is available though.  

The bullpen has a lot of weak links.  I don’t even know where to start.  Lol

1 hour ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

Not like the Phillies have an amazing system, but trading for a guy in 30s that has had a high ERA 2/3 years isn't ideal for a team with as many holes as they have. They'd still need a starting pitcher (or two) and an OF.

5 minutes ago, Diehardfan said:

Not like the Phillies have an amazing system, but trading for a guy in 30s that has had a high ERA 2/3 years isn't ideal for a team with as many holes as they have. They'd still need a starting pitcher (or two) and an OF.

I’d be a seller to be honest. This team is not that good. They easily could slump for 2 weeks and find themselves 7 back of the mets and they aren’t getting a wildcard 

• Like 2