HBO Max - The Last of Us

Mike030270

Here's a separate thread for the hit show

They did an excellent job with the makeup. I liked the changes they did and what they added to the show that wasn't in the game

They are bringing in the voice actors of Joel and Ellie but I think that will be weird since their voices may be too recognizable IMO

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gannan said:

I've never played the game (don't have a playstation). So I came into the show not knowing anything about it. First episode was good. A little like TWD, but good characters and actors. 

i also never played the game but thought ep 1 was good. i mean, the storyline where 

Spoiler

one person is somehow immune & holds the key to survival

has been done a bunch of times...but i still enjoyed the first episode. i'll keep watching. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Mike030270 said:

Here's a separate thread for the hit show

They did an excellent job with the makeup. I liked the changes they did and what they added to the show that wasn't in the game

They are bringing in the voice actors of Joel and Ellie but I think that will be weird since their voices may be too recognizable IMO

Tory Baker has a different voice from what he used to depict Joel that he shouldn't be an issue. I think Ashley Johnson basically uses her own voice so that's where the recognizable "take you out of it" moment could come into play. 

1 hour ago, mr_hunt said:

i also never played the game but thought ep 1 was good. i mean, the storyline where 

Hide contents

one person is somehow immune & holds the key to survival

has been done a bunch of times...but i still enjoyed the first episode. i'll keep watching. 

No spoilers, but how this show handles its "key to survival" is one of the things that sets this story apart from those bunch of times. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Agent23 said:

Tory Baker has a different voice from what he used to depict Joel that he shouldn't be an issue. I think Ashley Johnson basically uses her own voice so that's where the recognizable "take you out of it" moment could come into play. 

No spoilers, but how this show handles its "key to survival" is one of the things that sets this story apart from those bunch of times. 

Didn't know that. At least it's not both then

so the main dude's daughter....

Spoiler

who got shot & killed

...is played by the real life daughter of maeve from westworld.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mr_hunt said:

so the main dude's daughter....

Hide contents

who got shot & killed

...is played by the real life daughter of maeve from westworld.  

I still need to sit my ass on the couch and watch season 4

27 minutes ago, Agent23 said:

I still need to sit my ass on the couch and watch season 4

Not on HBO Max you won't.

15 hours ago, The_Omega said:

Not on HBO Max you won't.

The 4k+bluray set was on sale just prior to Christmas for like $20 so I copped that to add to my S1-3 collection

Spoiler

Clickers were excellent

I'm perfectly fine with the change of the infected chasing them instead of fedra

Also I liked the hive concept

This show is going to win so many awards lol

• Like 1

The set pieces and infected looked excellent. Loved they slightly deviated from the game too. 

Really solid second episode. Not sure how I feel about the tendrils replacing spores but it's a pretty minor nitpick as far as plot devices go. Acting is very good, and writing is still mostly faithful to the game. Almost surreal to see a world and story that I really was immersed in so many years ago finally come to life. So far, A+ job by the creators, and I don't say that lightly.

• Like 1

.i thought the actress playing the lead girl looked a little downsy...but it turns out she's just british.  heh.

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

2 minutes ago, mr_hunt said:

.i thought the actress playing the lead girl looked a little downsy...but it turns out she's just british.  heh.

Yeah unfortunately she looks nothing like the game character, but otherwise her acting has been pretty good so far. Pedro Pascal can't really grow the full Joel beard either, but he's been really good too.

the-last-of-us-part-1-goes-gold-ahead-september-launch-2.jpg

the-last-of-us-header.jpg

9 hours ago, we_gotta_believe said:

Really solid second episode. Not sure how I feel about the tendrils replacing spores but it's a pretty minor nitpick as far as plot devices go. Acting is very good, and writing is still mostly faithful to the game. Almost surreal to see a world and story that I really was immersed in so many years ago finally come to life. So far, A+ job by the creators, and I don't say that lightly.

If you watch the "inside the episode" piece they explain the deviations they made from the game, and explain why they made those choices. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mr_hunt said:

She was in "Game of Thrones". Lady Mormont. 

mgot_header_s8_interview_lyanna_1024x576

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Gannan said:

If you watch the "inside the episode" piece they explain the deviations they made from the game, and explain why they made those choices. 

Yeah I saw it, still could've been explained as they did in the games where the spores are released and survive for a short period of time and disperse in really enclosed damp environments (e.g. after a clicker dies naturally in an area like a subway station) and less of a problem in larger, open, drier environments. Not a deal breaker by any means, but just seemed like Mazin really wanted to show the tendrils coming from their mouths for shock effect and found a way to shoehorn it in.

Edit: And not to come off as a purist nerd that hates any deviations from the game, as one of the coolest parts about the second episode was the opening scene in Jakarta with the mycologist facing the reality of what's about to unfold. Would really like to see more backstory like that, even though none of that was part of the game (or even necessary to the narrative.)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mikemack8 said:

These monsters with giant fungus ball heads are effing gross :roll: I love it 

Their spastic movements and sounds are exactly like they were in the game too, keeping you on edge during the whole encounter because of how unpredictable they are. Super well done.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, we_gotta_believe said:

Their spastic movements and sounds are exactly like they were in the game too, keeping you on edge during the whole encounter because of how unpredictable they are. Super well done.

Also made them a pain in the ass to kill. I don't think we'll be seeing any sneak shank kills on those things. 

I can't wait for the Bloater.

• Like 1

I’m currently playing the game and won’t watch it until I finish the game because I don’t want the show to spoil the game.  Weird saying that but they did a really good job of following the game. 

18 hours ago, DBW said:

I’m currently playing the game and won’t watch it until I finish the game because I don’t want the show to spoil the game.  Weird saying that but they did a really good job of following the game. 

you got the PS5 super-cut?

On 1/23/2023 at 10:51 AM, mikemack8 said:

How about that romantic kiss towards the end of the episode?  :unsure:

Yeah, I thought that was really weird.

The actors that played the clickers did a great job

I'm fine with all but I think one change

Only thing that bothered me was the end. For one she was already infected. Plus it wouldn't have been so nonviolent

33 minutes ago, Mike030270 said:

The actors that played the clickers did a great job

I'm fine with all but I think one change

Only thing that bothered me was the end. For one she was already infected. Plus it wouldn't have been so nonviolent

Strictly from playing 200+ hours of Last of Us titles over my lifespan, I've never seen a human get bit (infected), escape, and then encounter an runner/clicker/etc. again some number of hours later. So once the infection has grabbed a hold of your body and you are going to become one of them... just haven't yet... I have zero knowledge on whether they still attack you full force, ignore you, or make sweet, sweet love to you.

Another change - Ellie only ever gets bitten again by an infected (happens to be a clicker) waaaaaaay late into the sequel game. So while we've always taken her at her word (when the FEDRA guy apprehends the trio and scans them) that her bite is 3 weeks old and she didn't change, we never really saw that happen (unless you could the first games DLC which shows the initial attack occur). I don't know if the show will make a habit of her getting bit and nothing happened, but I don't mind her getting bit and being nonchalant, and then playing off how Tess was bit within 5 mins of Ellie yet hers he so bad while Ellie looks like a faint dental imprint.