HBO Max - The Last of Us

Mike030270

these mf'ers  

Spoiler

ned starked joel & previews look like the focus will be around a group of teenage girls. 

:nonono:  

6 minutes ago, mr_hunt said:

these mf'ers  

Hide contents

ned starked joel & previews look like the focus will be around a group of teenage girls. 

:nonono:  

Spoiler for next week

Spoiler

It's going to be Ellie's backstory. Likely will have to wait 2 weeks for the main story to pick back up. 

1 hour ago, LeanMeanGM said:

Spoiler for next week

Hide contents

It's going to be Ellie's backstory. Likely will have to wait 2 weeks for the main story to pick back up. 

ahh....okay. that's a relief!  

3 minutes ago, Mike030270 said:

That's pretty incredible considering House of Dragon had fans from GoT watching it

Off topic but I think it's pretty funny for the show's intro they basically said "Lets do the GoT intro but with fungus". It's such a blatant rip off. 

3 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

Off topic but I think it's pretty funny for the show's intro they basically said "Lets do the GoT intro but with fungus". It's such a blatant rip off. 

I think I watched it once and usually just skip the intro

Spoilers for last nights episode vs game (and slight potential future spoilers for anyone that didn't play the game). 

Spoiler

I like the changes they made, and felt it served a better purpose for the show. The dam civilization is the Last Of Us Part 1 doesn't really serve a purpose for a TV show that's based more on drama/dialogue. They could have the raider attack, but that's just video game filler and wouldn't translate all that well to TV. Plus the show has been very selective with Joel and killing humans vs game. 

That was definitely Dina. She even said in the Last of Us 2 game that the first time she saw Ellie she was a string bean shoveling down jerky, which was close enough to what happened in the show. 

Also I'm happy they changed the injury Joel sustains at the Colorado University. Falling and having rebar impale you through your torso is certain death in a world like this. I thought it was unbelievable as it was in the game so I'm glad it was changed so he still has a significant injury but nothing over the top. 

I think the University part was a little bit rushed. I wasn't expecting a full on raider attack like in the game for the same reasons as earlier, but they could have fleshed out exploring the university a little bit and coming across more infected. I think they could have used this to harden up Ellie a little bit with how she deals with/kills infected now that Joel is going to be out of action and with who Ellie eventually will come across. 

The Native American couple were awesome and should have their own spin-off. 

2 hours ago, LeanMeanGM said:

Spoilers for last nights episode vs game (and slight potential future spoilers for anyone that didn't play the game). 

Hide contents

I like the changes they made, and felt it served a better purpose for the show. The dam civilization is the Last Of Us Part 1 doesn't really serve a purpose for a TV show that's based more on drama/dialogue. They could have the raider attack, but that's just video game filler and wouldn't translate all that well to TV. Plus the show has been very selective with Joel and killing humans vs game. 

That was definitely Dina. She even said in the Last of Us 2 game that the first time she saw Ellie she was a string bean shoveling down jerky, which was close enough to what happened in the show. 

Also I'm happy they changed the injury Joel sustains at the Colorado University. Falling and having rebar impale you through your torso is certain death in a world like this. I thought it was unbelievable as it was in the game so I'm glad it was changed so he still has a significant injury but nothing over the top. 

I think the University part was a little bit rushed. I wasn't expecting a full on raider attack like in the game for the same reasons as earlier, but they could have fleshed out exploring the university a little bit and coming across more infected. I think they could have used this to harden up Ellie a little bit with how she deals with/kills infected now that Joel is going to be out of action and with who Ellie eventually will come across. 

The Native American couple were awesome and should have their own spin-off. 

Spoiler

my only university gripe is that they conveniently stumbled on a map with thumbtacks and got Utah from it. In the game (in addition to picking up letters) I'm pretty sure they found an audio-recording saying the lab moved to Utah. The map with thumbtacks seemed way to yada yada for me

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Agent23 said:
  Hide contents

my only university gripe is that they conveniently stumbled on a map with thumbtacks and got Utah from it. In the game (in addition to picking up letters) I'm pretty sure they found an audio-recording saying the lab moved to Utah. The map with thumbtacks seemed way to yada yada for me

One thing the show hasn't done a great job of is what Joel and Ellie have found while exploring. The inventory, crafting, and all of that are nonexistent in the show

On 2/21/2023 at 9:26 AM, Mike030270 said:

One thing the show hasn't done a great job of is what Joel and Ellie have found while exploring. The inventory, crafting, and all of that are nonexistent in the show

Homie was duct-taping his boots to get extra longevity out of them. 

• Like 2

If they made this show exactly like a video game, it would suck.  Not sure why that's so hard to understand.  I think if they travel across the country over a period of several months and arrive more or less OK, it's implied that they were able to obtain the items they needed for survival.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, mikemack8 said:

If they made this show exactly like a video game, it would suck.  Not sure why that's so hard to understand.  I think if they travel across the country over a period of several months and arrive more or less OK, it's implied that they were able to obtain the items they needed for survival.

Disagree. I think it'd made the show great

1 minute ago, mr_hunt said:

does the show automatically save after each scene? if so, they should show that! :whistle:  

:rolleyes:

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, mikemack8 said:

It would be pretty cool if Joel tried to shoot Ellie in the face like I tried a bunch of times during the game. Or just die in funny ways and then restart the whole scene. 

• Haha 3

14 hours ago, LeanMeanGM said:

It would be pretty cool if Joel tried to shoot Ellie in the face like I tried a bunch of times during the game. Or just die in funny ways and then restart the whole scene. 

Is Ellie as annoying in the games as she is in the TV series?  I'm surprised that Joel hasn't pushed her down a hill by now...

20 hours ago, mikemack8 said:

Mikemack's survival guide pack of lube, deeldoes, raw hot dogs, toenail clippings, and Playgirl would get him from Delco to Harrisburg with ease! 

• Haha 4

I think the deviations from the game so far have been fine. Maybe a couple minor missed opportunities here and there, but otherwise nothing that's a deal breaker by any means. That being said, I feel like they're really boxing themselves into a corner with the timeline covered to date. From the preview of next week's episode, it looks like the entire episode will be dedicated to the Left Behind DLC, which then leaves only 2 more episodes to cover a ton of ground to finish out the season. They're gonna have to rush through things a bit to make up ground, which can be done, but won't be easy. Hopefully they can pull it off, otherwise the decisions to have an entire episode on Bill's backstory and the "villain" side plot of KC will be seen as a poor use of time.

57 minutes ago, we_gotta_believe said:

I think the deviations from the game so far have been fine. Maybe a couple minor missed opportunities here and there, but otherwise nothing that's a deal breaker by any means. That being said, I feel like they're really boxing themselves into a corner with the timeline covered to date. From the preview of next week's episode, it looks like the entire episode will be dedicated to the Left Behind DLC, which then leaves only 2 more episodes to cover a ton of ground to finish out the season. They're gonna have to rush through things a bit to make up ground, which can be done, but won't be easy. Hopefully they can pull it off, otherwise the decisions to have an entire episode on Bill's backstory and the "villain" side plot of KC will be seen as a poor use of time.

Are they completing the entire story of the first game in season one?  I never played it so I don't know how much has been done and what's left.

28 minutes ago, Shepard Wong said:

Are they completing the entire story of the first game in season one?  I never played it so I don't know how much has been done and what's left.

I would think so based on what they've shown in trailers and spoke about in interviews. Someone who's played it more recently than me can confirm, but I think we'd roughly be about halfway through the first game so far. But with only 3 episodes left (one of which covers her backstory from the DLC), they're going have to be selective with what gets cut from the remainder of the game if they want to stick the landing as well as the game did. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, we_gotta_believe said:

They pretty much skipped the tunnels and shortened/altered some scenes. Maybe they were only given a limited amount of episodes and tried to pack it in. I still think the show is great but there are some complaints like with every show

1 hour ago, Shepard Wong said:

Reports were that seaosn 1 will be the first game with some things from game 2 making an appearance

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, we_gotta_believe said:

I would think so based on what they've shown in trailers and spoke about in interviews. Someone who's played it more recently than me can confirm, but I think we'd roughly be about halfway through the first game so far. But with only 3 episodes left (one of which covers her backstory from the DLC), they're going have to be selective with what gets cut from the remainder of the game if they want to stick the landing as well as the game did. 

It's probably a little more than half. There's only two major plot points left in the spoiler below. I think the show is going to change both also like they have been by cutting out the action filler of the game and just getting to the point of the drama. 

Spoiler

David and Ellie and the hospital

It might feel like a speed run through the first game but it will probably translate well enough for a TV show. We're just not going to get all the mass killings like the game gives.