HBO Max - The Last of Us

Mike030270

27 minutes ago, Agent23 said:

I don't know if the show will make a habit of her getting bit and nothing happened, but I don't mind her getting bit and being nonchalant, and then playing off how Tess was bit within 5 mins of Ellie yet hers he so bad while Ellie looks like a faint dental imprint. 

The location of the bite is a factor too. In the first episode they showed a sign with incubation period depending on if you got bit on the extremities, torso, or head/neck area.

Also, regarding the kiss, as I said before I think the main motivation was simply for shock value to gross people out, because I don't think the infected try to smash the first hottie they see or anything like that, but it did seem to signal some sort of acknowledgement that they can distinguish infected vs non-infected. Like in that particular case, they can speed up the process by establishing a tendril colony right in her mouth rather than having to wait for her existing infection to take hold and grow them on her own maybe. I don't know, I still think spores would've been better but oh well.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Agent23 said:

Strictly from playing 200+ hours of Last of Us titles over my lifespan, I've never seen a human get bit (infected), escape, and then encounter an runner/clicker/etc. again some number of hours later. So once the infection has grabbed a hold of your body and you are going to become one of them... just haven't yet... I have zero knowledge on whether they still attack you full force, ignore you, or make sweet, sweet love to you.

Another change - Ellie only ever gets bitten again by an infected (happens to be a clicker) waaaaaaay late into the sequel game. So while we've always taken her at her word (when the FEDRA guy apprehends the trio and scans them) that her bite is 3 weeks old and she didn't change, we never really saw that happen (unless you could the first games DLC which shows the initial attack occur). I don't know if the show will make a habit of her getting bit and nothing happened, but I don't mind her getting bit and being nonchalant, and then playing off how Tess was bit within 5 mins of Ellie yet hers he so bad while Ellie looks like a faint dental imprint. 

Lol I have no idea how many hours I have playing them. I honestly don't remember if anyone was bit and then encountered infected but I do remember them not being so passive just walking up to you like that one did

13 minutes ago, we_gotta_believe said:

Also, regarding the kiss, as I said before I think the main motivation was simply for shock value to gross people out, because I don't think the infected try to smash the first hottie they see or anything like that, but it did seem to signal some sort of acknowledgement that they can distinguish infected vs non-infected. Like in that particular case, they can speed up the process by establishing a tendril colony right in her mouth rather than having to wait for her existing infection to take hold and grow them on her own maybe. I don't know, I still think spores would've been better but oh well.

Spores would have been nice because it'd be less changes from the game but I agree that it'd probably be difficult to display on tv

Spores can travel crazy distances after their release if they catch a wind current so the idea of them staying super localized here would be kinda weird. Not that the make-believe fungus zombie apocalypse show necessarily has to lean super heavy on realism, but with the season intro talk show clip and the part with the mycology professor seems to show that they really wanted to make this all seem as plausible as possible.  So maybe that's why they cut the whole spore thing.

1 hour ago, DEagle7 said:

Spores can travel crazy distances after their release if they catch a wind current so the idea of them staying super localized here would be kinda weird. Not that the make-believe fungus zombie apocalypse show necessarily has to lean super heavy on realism, but with the season intro talk show clip and the part with the mycology professor seems to show that they really wanted to make this all seem as plausible as possible.  So maybe that's why they cut the whole spore thing.

They explain why they didn't use spores in the after episode talk

The Last Of Us Episode 2 Broke A Massive Record For HBO

"Infected" brought in 5.7 million viewers across HBO and HBO Max streams, marking a 22% increase over last week's 4.7-million premiere. That increase is the largest audience increase from a first episode to a second episode for an original drama series on HBO in the network's history, as first reported by Variety. HBO calls it the "largest week 2 audience growth for an HBO Original drama series in the history of the network," which speaks further to the wide success of The Last of Us. 

https://www.gameinformer.com/2023/01/24/the-last-of-us-episode-2-broke-a-massive-record-for-hbo

27 minutes ago, DiPros said:

The end was so gross!!!!!!!!!!   So when does ep 3 air?

Sunday Nights at 9pm EST

• Thanks 1

I've had the two games for a while but never got around to playing them.  At the urging of some friends, I watched the first 2 episodes last night.  

I'm impressed.  The makeup effects of the infected are really well done and the show is genuinely creepy.  Well written and acted.  I obviously can't speak to the differences in the adaptation vs the game but I'm excited to finish watching this and then play the games.

Anyone who reads the horror thread can confirm I've seen the worst of the worst regarding graphic gore and violence in movies and am numb to almost all of it but this kind of body horror with the body being taken over by the fungus is like my kryptonite.  It just creeps me out.

There was a pic that went viral a few years back that someone photoshopped a lotus seed pod onto a woman's breast and I had a visceral reaction to it I don't remember having to anything before and the infected in this feel very much like that.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Shepard Wong said:

I've had the two games for a while but never got around to playing them.  At the urging of some friends, I watched the first 2 episodes last night.  

I'm impressed.  The makeup effects of the infected are really well done and the show is genuinely creepy.  Well written and acted.  I obviously can't speak to the differences in the adaptation vs the game but I'm excited to finish watching this and then play the games.

Anyone who reads the horror thread can confirm I've seen the worst of the worst regarding graphic gore and violence in movies and am numb to almost all of it but this kind of body horror with the body being taken over by the fungus is like my kryptonite.  It just creeps me out.

There was a pic that went viral a few years back that someone photoshopped a lotus seed pod onto a woman's breast and I had a visceral reaction to it I don't remember having to anything before and the infected in this feel very much like that.

That might end up blunting some of the impact of several scenes in the game. You develop an attachment to characters through gameplay in a way that might not translate from watching the show. If you can, I'd suggest playing through the game first then watching the series after (or at least in parallel.) But either way, you can't really go wrong, it's a compelling narrative with really well written characters.

• Like 1

i was hoping for a noode scene with anna torv so i could really develop an attachment to her. :drool:    :sad:   

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, we_gotta_believe said:

FYP 

I actually typed a woman of the night that rhymes with spores but apparently that's censored too

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Mike030270 said:

I'm surprised episodes haven't leaked

This ain't season 5 game of thrones brah! (I remember when, after watching season 5 pilot live, I learned that the first 4 eps had been pirated). After waiting for 2-4 to download, I ended up watching them bishes until like 330 in the morning and was straight ass at work the next day. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Agent23 said:

This ain't season 5 game of thrones brah! (I remember when, after watching season 5 pilot live, I learned that the first 4 eps had been pirated). After waiting for 2-4 to download, I ended up watching them bishes until like 330 in the morning and was straight ass at work the next day. 

Those weren't the only ones that leaked lol

That's pretty crazy though lol

On 1/25/2023 at 7:57 AM, we_gotta_believe said:

Sunday Nights at 9pm EST

Perfectly timed to be right after the Chiefs/Bengals game

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Dwide Schrude said:

Never played the game, but I know a summary of the two games. I forget why/when I read about it all, think I watched a gameplay video & since I didn’t own a PlayStation at the time I read up on it because of all the glowing reviews from it. Thought it was harmless at the time, after two episodes in I regret it a bit. It’s a quality show for sure, Pedro Pascal is amazing as usual, i’ll be making a point to tune in every week for new episodes. I bought a PS5 not long ago, I’ll probably play the games after I finish Spider-Man/God of war. 

Wasn’t expecting to like it so much, I usually dislike anything zombie themed. Tv show/movie/video games I just can’t get into them at all. But The Last of Us is different, kind of a refreshing take on the zombie genre. 

I queued the video up at the start of where the game has the trip arriving at the statehouse to find all the dead bodies. I've enjoyed the show a lot and the performances, but I still think the original actors in the game did this stuff perfectly so the v similar but slightly jarring differences in the tv series performances take some of these 10s down to an 8 for me. 

1 hour ago, Mike030270 said:

I think that was a foregone conclusion considering the ratings it's gotten so far.