**Official 76ers 2023-2024 Season Thread**

mr_hunt

1 hour ago, vikas83 said:

I feel like the great "what if" in Sixers' history will be -- what if Harris never caved to Silver and replaced Hinke with Colangelo?

Look at OKC

A legit young star in SGA, a lottery pick in Holmgren, solid young core in Giddey, Williams and Dort.  23 First Round picks/swaps and 22 2nds in the next 7 drafts. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DaEagles4Life said:

He has only underperformed in the playoffs. Dude isn't some easy target. He is the MVP of the league and in big moments when it matters, he plays worse. At some point it is just who he is. 

Screenshot_20230514-175959.png

Screenshot_20230514-180010.png

It’s even worse if you throw up per 36

• Like 1

1 hour ago, vikas83 said:

I feel like the great "what if" in Sixers' history will be -- what if Harris never caved to Silver and replaced Hinke with Colangelo?

We've been there for a few years. Harris is the f'ing problem. Cuban would have said go bleep yourself or at the very least not taken on a league mandated overseer for the team who would hire his idiot son. If they were going to twist his arm to fire Sam then go out and get the best GM to replace him. It was utter BS and lead to a former player taking over with no experience and no clue what he was doing. Now he has an idiot who only knows how to make big trades that never work, so they have no picks, no cap space, and no hope of improving....so they are essentially right where they were when Sam took over the team...minus having draft picks back then.

The worst part is he will not make the moves to improve because he doesn't care about winning. This is an investment for him and investments aren't worth money if they trade away Embiid and start a rebuild. This will only get worse.

6 hours ago, vikas83 said:

Assuming Harden walks and Harris is too cheap to fire Rivers, I don't really know what can be done to improve the team. I'm not sure there will be an active market for Harris until the deadline. 

Harden's option is for $38 million. I think he's opting in. No one is paying him that. 

1 hour ago, mr_hunt said:

Ok.  Keep Glen one more year.  Easier to fire a coach than get out of an over inflated player contract. 

Who wins a title first- Sixers or Flyers? 

23 minutes ago, vsptroops said:

Sixers or Flyers win a title or the end of the world. Which comes first? 

• Haha 4
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Gannan said:

Harden's option is for $38 million. I think he's opting in. No one is paying him that. 

The FA market this year is terrible. He will get 3/100 pretty easily 

Did they fire Doc yet?

14 hours ago, vsptroops said:

Considering the Flyers have already at least started the rebuild process I'd go with them.

• Like 1

Id go 6ers. Its gotta be the easiest sport to try to build a championship team in. You only have 5 players playing at once. Theres a lot less work that goes in to roster building with a 12 man game day roster.

sooooo....would you guys attach maxey to tobias in a trade to get an athletic guard/wing like lavine or brandon ingram in return?

i know a lot of people love maxey but idk what his ceiling is or whether or not a team could win a championship with him as their #1 or #2 guy. 

23 minutes ago, mr_hunt said:

sooooo....would you guys attach maxey to tobias in a trade to get an athletic guard/wing like lavine or brandon ingram in return?

i know a lot of people love maxey but idk what his ceiling is or whether or not a team could win a championship with him as their #1 or #2 guy. 

Its hard to know how high he can go. He looks like he can become a truly elite scorer. You look at his age, and its shocking how much more development he can potentially have, and how good he is already.

But, theres certainly a ceiling somewhere due to his size and defensive limitations. 

Yesterday I compared him to a McCollum. Maxey might become an even better scorer than McCollum, but I think hes going to be that type of 2nd fiddle. May or may not be good enough. Depends on how good your top guy is, and how good the supporting cast is.

If the 6ers can build the rest of the lineup with lengthy, good defenders Maxey would be a great piece to have. As currently constructed it doesnt work. 

I would rather sweeten deals with Melton and hold on to Maxey for now. But I said yesterday, I might be tempted if we can trade Maxey for a top 7 pick this year (not sure if thats realistic value).

unless they're doing a complete blowup & trading embiid, i don't see them being interested in trading maxey for a pick. they would still be in win-now mode. my hypothetical is more if harden re-signs (which i don't want) & they're trying to run back the harden/embiid thing but with a different supporting cast. i like maxey but an athletic wing guy would help this roster so much. 

7 minutes ago, mr_hunt said:

unless they're doing a complete blowup & trading embiid, i don't see them being interested in trading maxey for a pick. they would still be in win-now mode. my hypothetical is more if harden re-signs (which i don't want) & they're trying to run back the harden/embiid thing but with a different supporting cast. i like maxey but an athletic wing guy would help this roster so much. 

In that scenario, you need to find a player who is unconscious about taking shots. Maxey may be an even better scorer than we know. But too many people on this team defer to Embiid and Harden.

With those 2, we sort of need a guy like Klay Thompson who can score 50 points on 8 dribbles. Catch and shoot. 1 dribble and shoot. Or someone who is willing to just keep chucking shots. Its the only way we will get the full value of someone's scoring ability.

There are probably a million athletic wings who can score who will come here and look worse. Like Harris did. Like Melton often looks worthless offensively on this team. 

Even Jimmy Butler scored a ton less here deferring to Embiid all the time.

Theoretically thinking along the lines of your idea, Harris + Maxey for Klay, or Wiggins would be a great fit . But would Wiggins defer here?

I can probably be convinced, but I think you need to find someone who will be a ball hog. You need to consider not just the skillset, but the mindset of the player you are targeting. Who do you have in mind?

We go back to this name ever year in pipedream scenarios. Brandon Ingram is ideal, but never actually available.

boom

image.thumb.png.3b3f4ef78c4fa71d95270182db7f7821.png

Harden, Melton, Ingram, Nance, Embiid

Tucker can move to the bench.

1 minute ago, HazletonEagle said:

boom

image.thumb.png.3b3f4ef78c4fa71d95270182db7f7821.png

Would you do that if your the Pelicans though? I know Zion and him don't exactly get along but already have a small guard in CJ. 

I'm having a hard time finding a place for Harris. 

I know I know CP3 is old but next year isn't guaranteed so it's basically a one year deal and getting a versatile wing defender in Dort. 

Trying to find a place for Harden that isn't the Rockets so get something of value for him. 

Screenshot_20230516-105416.png

NBA Could Be Entering 'Unbelievable Period' Of Star Player Movement Through 2024 Trade Deadline

MAY 15, 2023 9:44 PM

Young_Trae_atl_230301.jpg

The combination of an NBA without a truly dominant team along with a new collective bargaining agreement that will become more punitive for teams over the second luxury tax apron could create a situation where certain players and teams are motivated to execute trades this offseason and into the trade deadline period. Because of the timeline of the new CBA taking effect, there could be a sense of urgency for all parties to get their business in during the next two transaction cycles.

During a conversation about the future of Joel Embiid, ESPN's Zach Lowe asserted the expectation that there could be an inordinate amount of player movement in the near future.

"This is all prelude to I think the next year in the NBA could be an unbelievable period of superstar and star player movement because you've just got a lot of sort of roiling situations," said Lowe on his podcast. "You have one year left before the really harsh trade rules kick into place after the 2023-24 season where teams over the second apron, like the Clippers, for instance, cannot even aggregate salaries. They can't add up money to bring in a big money player. That's starting after next season.

"I think we could see a ton of movement in the offseason and up to the deadline. And a ton of big names moving. That's not to say Embiid, but I think this going to be a hot and heavy offseason and people should buckle up."

Beyond the future of Embiid, there are also uncertain situations facing the likes of Damian Lillard, Luka Doncic, Giannis Antetokounmpo, Karl-Anthony Towns, Trae Young, Pascal Siakam, Julius Randle, Kawhi Leonard, Paul George, DeMar DeRozan, Zach LaVine, Bradley Beal, OG Anunoby and Deandre Ayton, amongst others.

• Like 2

image.thumb.png.627f03a80e441b47e8a6cd88e7ecbf44.png

boom

combine my other trade with this one

Harden, Poole, Wiggins, Ingram, Looney

Now you have tons of perimeter scoring. Championship!