Nicholas Morrow

EagleVA

20 hours ago, opa-opa said:

Heres a really dumb question. Does Reddick play LB on this team?

I know he is listed as a LB but he is never mentioned as one of our LBs.

He's an "EDGE".  

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

On 6/11/2023 at 10:42 AM, Iggles_Phan said:

He's an "EDGE".  

So we just have two LBs on every play since he is always rushing the QB?

42 minutes ago, opa-opa said:

So we just have two LBs on every play since he is always rushing the QB?

He doesn't always rush, but yes, we implore a 5 man front a lot with 2 "Edges", 3 DTs (or 2 DTs and a NT) plus 2 LBs.   Its a 5-2... or a 3-4 with the outside LBs up on the LOS almost all the time.   Sometimes they go to an even front, and in those situations, Reddick plays more of a 'Joker' position as a stand-up DE.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 6/9/2023 at 9:32 AM, EricAllenPick6 said:

I asked Google Bard to write a post why Nicholas Morrow will be a pro bowler, and here's what it said:

Morrow's only downfall is his size, dude is only 225 lbs so he'll be giving up approx 100lbs when going against Olinemen.

On 6/8/2023 at 2:57 PM, EagleVA said:

There were a lot of great additions to the roster thus far and I think Nicholas Morrow should be considered one of them.

I can't recall any Eagles LB that's impressed my as much as Morrow, dude can do it all, sideline to sideline run stopper, excellent pass coverage, excellent blitzer, and a hitter, I think he solidified the defense.

Are you serious or just trolling? 

I’m not even sure Morrow starts. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Road to Victory said:

Are you serious or just trolling? 

I’m not even sure Morrow starts. 

Trolling? 

No, it's called an opinion based on his attributes..

9 hours ago, EagleVA said:

Trolling? 

No, it's called an opinion based on his attributes..

Based on whose attributes? Morrow or the OP?

On 6/14/2023 at 4:47 PM, LeanMeanGM said:

It's called "do your research", sheep. 

I guess the OP did more research than the 31 other teams in the NFL. Any team could’ve signed him if they wanted to.

Hey, I hope he works out but we’ll see. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Road to Victory said:

I guess the OP did more research than the 31 other teams in the NFL. Any team could’ve signed him if they wanted to.

Hey, I hope he works out but we’ll see. 

Signing is up to the player, not teams. While I get your gist, you can also say that about every single unrestricted free agent ... and every single draft selection for that matter (all teams have the ability to trade for and acquire any pick if they will give up enough). 

I have no idea how other teams view Morrow as a fit on their teams, but on paper, he seems to be a perfect fit for what we like to do at Will in our defense. He checks all the same boxes as Kyzir White and he signed here for less than we paid White last season. There isn't much risk involved with his contract and the Eagles aren't "married" to him as a starter. He'll have to fight hard to earn and keep a starting role. The OP is obviously excited about the signing while many others here aren't. He may only turn out to be the next Jatavis Brown, L.J. Fort, or Corey Nelson for the Eagles or maybe he'll have a Patrick Robinson  type impact as a cheap, vet signing that turns out to be just the right fit here. 

It is, IMO, a little too early to start driving the bandwagon around. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, brkmsn said:

Signing is up to the player, not teams. While I get your gist, you can also say that about every single unrestricted free agent ... and every single draft selection for that matter (all teams have the ability to trade for and acquire any pick if they will give up enough). 

I have no idea how other teams view Morrow as a fit on their teams, but on paper, he seems to be a perfect fit for what we like to do at Will in our defense. He checks all the same boxes as Kyzir White and he signed here for less than we paid White last season. There isn't much risk involved with his contract and the Eagles aren't "married" to him as a starter. He'll have to fight hard to earn and keep a starting role. The OP is obviously excited about the signing while many others here aren't. He may only turn out to be the next Jatavis Brown, L.J. Fort, or Corey Nelson for the Eagles or maybe he'll have a Patrick Robinson  type impact as a cheap, vet signing that turns out to be just the right fit here. 

Yes... and no.  Yes, the player has to agree to the team, but the team also has to offer the player a contract.  Given that he signed here for a 1 year deal at basically vet minimum salary, I'd say that he had limited options.  Just my opinion though.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Iggles_Phan said:

Yes... and no.  Yes, the player has to agree to the team, but the team also has to offer the player a contract.  Given that he signed here for a 1 year deal at basically vet minimum salary, I'd say that he had limited options.  Just my opinion though.

But we all know there is a lot more to that. How many of 31 other teams have an opening at LB or aren't vested in their current starters there? How many defenses are looking for smallish WLBs with college safety backgrounds? 1-year deals are typically "prove it" deals where a player signs with a particular team he views as a fit and an opportunity to make his next contract more favorable. Do we know if Morrow's camp was looking at 31 other teams or did the player have a short list that they explored? Maybe after playing for the Bears, he wanted to play for a team ready to win it all. Maybe he was impressed with Hurts, toughing it out against the Bears after the injury and was drawn to his leadership. Who really knows?

9 minutes ago, brkmsn said:

But we all know there is a lot more to that. How many of 31 other teams have an opening at LB or aren't vested in their current starters there? How many defenses are looking for smallish WLBs with college safety backgrounds? 1-year deals are typically "prove it" deals where a player signs with a particular team he views as a fit and an opportunity to make his next contract more favorable. Do we know if Morrow's camp was looking at 31 other teams or did the player have a short list that they explored? Maybe after playing for the Bears, he wanted to play for a team ready to win it all. Maybe he was impressed with Hurts, toughing it out against the Bears after the injury and was drawn to his leadership. Who really knows?

Like I said, his contract points to a guy who had limited options.  It doesn't mean he had no other options, but it definitely indicates that there wasn't any type of bidding war for his services.  We'll see how he works out, but he is on a prove it deal, and so far he's not proven it.  I hope he does.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, brkmsn said:

I’m sure if ANY team offered him anything more than $1.5m he would’ve jumped all over it. 

I don’t mind the signing at all. It’s a low risk-possibly high reward signing but let’s not start calling him a Pro-Bowler just yet. 

I hope he can play and proves it on the field. Up until last year the team hasn't exactly had a lot of luck when it comes to 1yr cheap linebacker signings.

• Like 1

He wasn't even a constant starter on terrible teams. Benched for a guy who's sitting on the couch now. 

• Like 1

On 6/16/2023 at 6:13 AM, ThinkGreen said:

He wasn't even a constant starter on terrible teams. Benched for a guy who's sitting on the couch now. 

He started all of last season for the Bears. His PFF grade wasn't his best last season, but he wasn't a total stiff out there. The Bears signed Edmunds and Edwards in free agency. I guess their plan is to start TJ at Will. But with the money they committed at MLB and WLB, Morrow wasn't getting re-signed. I'm a fan of Edwards and really liked him at Mike, but I'm not sure if the move to WLB will suit his attributes in Chicago. So Morrow arrives here and hopes to replace White, playing the position and role he's familiar with while Edwards goes to the city he wanted and is being moved outside where his notable lack of foot speed could become a liability. 

• Like 1

Hearing about all of these stories from OTAs about Ellis he might be a dark horse winner at linebacker. While everyone was so focused on Dean last year, Ellis was quietly making plays on special teams and games when he was allowed to play. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, EazyEaglez said:

Hearing about all of these stories from OTAs about Ellis he might be a dark horse winner at linebacker. While everyone was so focused on Dean last year, Ellis was quietly making plays on special teams and games when he was allowed to play. 

Watching preseason games has been painful the last few years because this team doesn't want to take any risks or give anything away. Maybe, though, this year will give us some exciting positional battles to watch. We'll have no choice but to play some pretty solid players at some positions where our depth is superb and that should make it easier to evaluate some of the less experienced competitors. LB should be a fun position to watch. Even the "starters" need to get some real work. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, brkmsn said:

Watching preseason games has been painful the last few years because this team doesn't want to take any risks or give anything away. Maybe, though, this year will give us some exciting positional battles to watch. We'll have no choice but to play some pretty solid players at some positions where our depth is superb and that should make it easier to evaluate some of the less experienced competitors. LB should be a fun position to watch. Even the "starters" need to get some real work. 

I expect to see bubble wrap on most of the starters this preseason once again for most of it, but we should see some battles play out especially at safety, LB, 3rd WR, and OG. Most of the vets and proven starters will not play a lot. That’s the eagles way in regards to preseason football. I think they believe they get more out of practicing with other teams than they do in actual game play. Still there’s a lot of young guys out there who are looking hungry and ready to get an opportunity on this team. I’m interested to see the new improved Quez. I’d like to see Covey take that next step as a return man also to go with the battles. What does year two Jordan Davis look like? Is Dean going to be as good as advertised? Lots of questions that honestly most will not be answered in PS football, but it’s at least a start. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, EazyEaglez said:

I expect to see bubble wrap on most of the starters this preseason once again for most of it, but we should see some battles play out especially at safety, LB, 3rd WR, and OG. Most of the vets and proven starters will not play a lot. That’s the eagles way in regards to preseason football. I think they believe they get more out of practicing with other teams than they do in actual game play. Still there’s a lot of young guys out there who are looking hungry and ready to get an opportunity on this team. I’m interested to see the new improved Quez. I’d like to see Covey take that next step as a return man also to go with the battles. What does year two Jordan Davis look like? Is Dean going to be as good as advertised? Lots of questions that honestly most will not be answered in PS football, but it’s at least a start. 

I expect positions where we currently have new starters penciled in to get a little more playing time in preseason --- especially on defense. I won't be surprised to see Cam Jurgens get extended playing time during preseason. He'll probably start at RG and move to C when the starters come out (if they play at all). I suspect they'll want to get Dean more than one series in the preseason --- likewise his counterpart. They may want to see Morrow with Dean and Elliss with Dean if the WLB battle is close in camp. Our first round picks should get extended preseason opportunities as well. Then there's safety where we'll have 2 new starters and lots of competition. Even at RB, there isn't a definitive starter just yet and somebody is going to have to get some preseason work. Sermon should get a long look which some of us have been looking forward to. Like you, I'm curious about Covey at WR.

What I'm trying to say is our preseason games should be more interesting than recent years because we are going to be forced to play some pretty good players that are currently backups on this team. That collective experience should help us better evaluate the inexperienced players that get opportunities at other positions. Last year, our backup QBs were MInshew and Sinnett, neither of which were a great fit running Hurts' offense. This year we have Mariota and Book and will likely be able to stay the same while they're in. McKee is the only one that might be uncomfortable doing what we do. 

The Eagles aren't going to be changing they're "limited risk" policy, but they are going to be forced to play some good players.

On 6/18/2023 at 11:24 AM, brkmsn said:

I expect positions where we currently have new starters penciled in to get a little more playing time in preseason --- especially on defense. I won't be surprised to see Cam Jurgens get extended playing time during preseason. He'll probably start at RG and move to C when the starters come out (if they play at all). I suspect they'll want to get Dean more than one series in the preseason --- likewise his counterpart. They may want to see Morrow with Dean and Elliss with Dean if the WLB battle is close in camp. Our first round picks should get extended preseason opportunities as well. Then there's safety where we'll have 2 new starters and lots of competition. Even at RB, there isn't a definitive starter just yet and somebody is going to have to get some preseason work. Sermon should get a long look which some of us have been looking forward to. Like you, I'm curious about Covey at WR.

What I'm trying to say is our preseason games should be more interesting than recent years because we are going to be forced to play some pretty good players that are currently backups on this team. That collective experience should help us better evaluate the inexperienced players that get opportunities at other positions. Last year, our backup QBs were MInshew and Sinnett, neither of which were a great fit running Hurts' offense. This year we have Mariota and Book and will likely be able to stay the same while they're in. McKee is the only one that might be uncomfortable doing what we do. 

The Eagles aren't going to be changing they're "limited risk" policy, but they are going to be forced to play some good players.

Yeah I’m not so sure bud. I don’t think the Eagles will change much from what they always been. People said over the past two seasons how Jalen should play in the preseason and it’s rarely happened. I’m not expecting to see much of the 1st or 2nd team to be honest. The Eagles are probably going to make their choices on players outside of preseason games. The last preseason game might be the one where you see a few guys on the fringe (Davion Taylor or KaVon Wallace types) who are trying to fill final roster spots make or break their Eagles careers. 

• Like 1

On 6/18/2023 at 12:33 AM, brkmsn said:

If I were you, I wouldn't hold your breath.

16 hours ago, Iggles_Phan said:

If I were you, I wouldn't hold your breath.

Yeah this team will not be risking important players to preseason games especially since they played into February. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, EazyEaglez said:

Yeah this team will not be risking important players to preseason games especially since they played into February. 

Last year in the 1st preseason game, the starters played 1 series. The 2nd team played the rest of the first half. In the 2nd game, the 2nd team played for the 1st half. In the final game, the 2nd team played the 1st quarter. 

That is what I expect. The difference this time? We have a better 2nd team. As I stated earlier with some starting positions up for grabs, we'll likely see that play out in the preseason games as well. Could Sydney Brown win a starting spot this year? Maybe --- but he hasn't won it yet and so there's no reason to "protect" him in the preseason. Elliss? Same thing ... as with Morrow, Edmunds, and maybe even Dean and Blankenship. Then there are players like Smith who figures at best to begin as Reddick's backup, so he'll get preseason work and a chance to learn from each opportunity with the understanding that when the regular season begins, Reddick will still get about 75% of the defensive snaps so long as he is healthy. Jalen Carter probably won't be considered  a "starter" until the regular season gets here, so don't be surprised to see him get all the preseason work with the 2nd team defense. Last season, even with most of the starters not playing, some players like Quez Watkins still played with the twos because the coaches want to get some players some work at other roles in case something does happen to a starter in the regular season. That's why I expect to see Jurgens start at RG during what will probably be the only series the 1st team offense plays, but to also get some preseason time at C so he can get some game setting snaps there to prepare as Kelce's backup. 

• Like 1