Nicholas Morrow

EagleVA

On 6/13/2023 at 9:57 PM, Road to Victory said:

Are you serious or just trolling? 

I’m not even sure Morrow starts. 

He runs a 4.5 40 time so in the minds of some that means he’s good. 

• Haha 1

"Nicholas Morrow, linebacker

Those of you who have been clamoring to see Nakobe Dean on the field will see your wishes granted. He will carry the green dot on his helmet and play the role of quarterback on the defense. The next guy on the depth chart appears to be Nicholas Morrow. Think of him as the 'Kyzir White' to Nakobe's 'T.J. Edwards'. There's an interesting dynamic at work here though.

As far as the linebacker unit is concerned, we heard a lot about Nolan Smith and the steadily-improving Christian Elliss. Morrow didn't really stand out during the two practices where media was allowed access.

He'll make the team. He will contribute, but that's something to keep an eye on.”

Same article stating Quez’s stock fell, also wrote the same about Morrow. I guess there’s more to football than just being fast even in pads only. 🤷‍♂️

• 1 month later...
On 6/8/2023 at 2:57 PM, EagleVA said:

There were a lot of great additions to the roster thus far and I think Nicholas Morrow should be considered one of them.

I can't recall any Eagles LB that's impressed my as much as Morrow, dude can do it all, sideline to sideline run stopper, excellent pass coverage, excellent blitzer, and a hitter, I think he solidified the defense.

Well maybe not. 😂🤣😂

C32A5E53-B916-47A3-A08E-240FE52C5B94.jpeg

• Like 2

With the signing of 2 LBs, Morrow's stock seems sliding.  The 2 new LBs are league vets with plenty of experience.  Morrow is not a lock to make the roster, if his plays don't pick up.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Penn7980 said:

With the signing of 2 LBs, Morrow's stock seems sliding.  The 2 new LBs are league vets with plenty of experience.  Morrow is not a lock to make the roster, if his plays don't pick up.

Agreed he’s not a lock to make the roster. I think it will come down to him or Cunningham for a roster spot. I think Dean makes it and I think Jack will make it too. Beyond that it’ll come down to whether they keep 4 or 5 LBs (most likely 4) because I think Elliss gets a spot too.

On 8/6/2023 at 4:46 AM, EazyEaglez said:

Well maybe not. 😂🤣😂

C32A5E53-B916-47A3-A08E-240FE52C5B94.jpeg

You hear most coaches say practice like it's a real game but fact of the matter is some players are much better game day players than they are practice players, so I'm taking the point of view of let's see who plays better in the games.

BTW, that's the same pov I have with the right guard battle.

19 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Agreed he’s not a lock to make the roster. I think it will come down to him or Cunningham for a roster spot. I think Dean makes it and I think Jack will make it too. Beyond that it’ll come down to whether they keep 4 or 5 LBs (most likely 4) because I think Elliss gets a spot too.

That sounds about right

7 hours ago, EagleVA said:

You hear most coaches say practice like it's a real game but fact of the matter is some players are much better game day players than they are practice players, so I'm taking the point of view of let's see who plays better in the games.

BTW, that the same pov I have with the right guard battle.

You have to make the team to play in games. What do you think they’re saving him like he’s some kind of secret weapon or something? Your boy Morrow is the primary reason they went out to get veteran linebackers, because he was stinking up the joint. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

You have to make the team to play in games. 

I'm talking preseason games, I'm sure most if not all of the LBs will get on the field including Dean if healthy.

I'm not sure what the coaches' current opinion of Morrow is, But I think the recent signings are 2 players that played ILB. Morrow is not an ILB. He's a WLB. The Eagles covet LBs that can cover at WLB. That is not Cunningham's forte at all. So why would we need ILBs? Because Dean twisted his ankle and has been missing practice. They'll want to make sure it isn't a lingering issue when the season begins. So they have 2 additions and 1 subtraction (Taylor). The only proof we have of them not being impressed with anybody is Taylor. 

When it comes to Morrow, I just think that Elliss has just been doing a surprisingly good job and the team is giving him every opportunity to progress and ultimately win the job. When the Eagles cut the roster to 53, it won't be surprising if one or both of Jack and Cunningham are released. 

2 hours ago, brkmsn said:

I'm not sure what the coaches' current opinion of Morrow is, But I think the recent signings are 2 players that played ILB. Morrow is not an ILB. He's a WLB. The Eagles covet LBs that can cover at WLB. That is not Cunningham's forte at all. So why would we need ILBs? Because Dean twisted his ankle and has been missing practice. They'll want to make sure it isn't a lingering issue when the season begins. So they have 2 additions and 1 subtraction (Taylor). The only proof we have of them not being impressed with anybody is Taylor. 

When it comes to Morrow, I just think that Elliss has just been doing a surprisingly good job and the team is giving him every opportunity to progress and ultimately win the job. When the Eagles cut the roster to 53, it won't be surprising if one or both of Jack and Cunningham are released. 

Maybe. However I am hearing some positive feedback on Cunningham. I would wait a few weeks before I make any judgements. It's always funny how people project the roster depth before the end of the training camp.

"Christian Elliss

Even with the new linebacker additions of Myles Jack and Zach Cunningham, Elliss is still in the mix to start at off-ball linebacker next to Dean. He had two tackles for loss on Sunday, one when D'Andre Swift was carrying the ball. Elliss continues to find the football and be in the right spot. 

Elliss is on this roster, but where he fits in the grand scheme of things is uncertain. At the worst, he provides excellent depth at off-ball linebacker.”

This is the only linebacker I keep hearing good things about excluding the pass rush guys of course. 

8 hours ago, EagleVA said:

I'm talking preseason games, I'm sure most if not all of the LBs will get on the field including Dean if healthy.

I think we will find out how they truly feel about Morrow if he actually plays a lot in preseason. If he does then he’s in trouble. 

• Like 2

On 8/8/2023 at 2:16 PM, EazyEaglez said:

I think we will find out how they truly feel about Morrow if he actually plays a lot in preseason. If he does then he’s in trouble. 

If the want to make the best decisions they should give all the LBs equal time with starters and backups in both the preseason games and the joint practices.

I just hope they don't make a decision like Morrow is in trouble if he plays a lot in preseason, only a big mess would think like that before taking a good look/see, wouldn't you agree? 

34 minutes ago, EagleVA said:

If the want to make the best decisions they should give all the LBs equal time with starters and backups in both the preseason games and the joint practices.

I just hope they don't make a decision like Morrow in trouble if he plays a lot in preseason, only a big mess would think like that before taking a good look/see, wouldn't you agree? 

Just remember that the Eagles do not consider the preseason games as much of anything other than letting some backup guys earn spots. They believe they get more out of joint practices with other teams than actually playing in the preseason games. If you are seeing Morrow, but you aren’t seeing some of the other guys (considering most of these guys aren’t that good to begin with ) that isn’t a good sign. Does Morrow play special teams? Does he contribute anything other than a guy getting the breaks beat off him by Goedert all camp? All I know is no one is saying much about Morrow in a positive way. Heck someone just posted both Jack and Cunningham attributed themselves well when they practiced and they just got here. If Morrow wants to be here then he better ride to the competition like Quez Watkins has so for or he won’t be here. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, EazyEaglez said:

If Elliss has already moved ahead of Morrow, I would expect to see Morrow play a lot in preseason. There's a good chance, though, that Elliss will also get an extended look and stay in longer than most starters. It's not like he has tons of experience on his resume. 

Even if the Eagles know who their starters are, there are still at least a couple backup spots up for grabs as well. I would think that at least one of Morrow / Cunningham / Myles sticks around to provide veteran experience that the starters can learn from. Last year, Dean, Bradley, and Elliss were all key ST players. So if Dean and Elliss become starters, will their respective ST roles reduce? If that happens, the two backups had better be able to be key ST contributors. 

Special teams Snap Counts:

Myles Jack

Games Off. Def. ST
Year Age Tm Pos No. G GS Num Pct Num Pct Num Pct
Career           0   5431   435  
6 yrs JAX     88 82 0   4739   380  
1 yr PIT     15 13 0   692   55
2016 21 JAX RLB 44 16 10 0 0% 239 22% 203 42%
2018 23 JAX MLB 44 16 16 0 0% 1024 100% 92 22%
2017 22 JAX RLB 44 16 16 0 0% 1013 98% 84 17%
2022 27 PIT LB 51 15 13 0 0% 692 71% 55 14%
2019 24 JAX MLB 44 11 11 0 0% 613 86% 1 0%
2020 25 JAX LLB 44 14 14 0 0% 931 95% 0 0%
2021 26 JAX RILB 44 15 15 0 0% 919 94% 0 0%

Nicolas Morrow

Games Off. Def. ST
Career           0   3505   873  
4 yrs LVR-OAK     62 29 0   2419   782  
1 yr CHI     17 17 0   1086   91  
2018 23 OAK LLB 50 16 5 0 0% 416 41% 282 64%
2019 24 OAK RLB 50 16 8 0 0% 728 70% 206 48%
2017 22 OAK RLB 50 16 5 0 0% 552 53% 179 42%
2020 25 LVR LLB 50 14 11 0 0% 723 75% 115 29%
2022 27 CHI LB 53 17 17 0 0% 1086 100% 91 21%

Zach Cunningham

Games Off. Def. ST
Career           0   4304   565  
5 yrs HOU     72 66 0   3946   540  
2 yrs TEN     10 10 0   358   25  
2017 23 HOU RILB 41 16 13 0 0% 812 79% 210 43%
2019 25 HOU RILB 41 16 16 0 0% 942 88% 134 32%
2020 26 HOU LILB 41 16 16 0 0% 945 85% 124 28%
2018 24 HOU RILB 41 14 14 0 0% 753 81% 68 17%
2022 28 TEN LB 41 6 6 0 0% 205 49% 11 7%
2021 27 2TM LB/RLB   14 11 0   647   18  

Shaun Bradley

Games Off. Def. ST
Career           0   131   878  
2022 25 PHI LB 54 15 0 0 0% 0 0% 314 80%
2021 24 PHI LB 54 15 1 0 0% 55 6% 280 71%
2020 23 PHI LB 54 15 0 0 0% 76 7% 284 68%

As far as special teams go, it looks like Bradley and Morrow have the edge. They are also the two cheaper options. 

13 hours ago, EazyEaglez said:

Just remember that the Eagles do not consider the preseason games as much of anything other than letting some backup guys earn spots. They believe they get more out of joint practices with other teams than actually playing in the preseason games. If you are seeing Morrow, but you aren’t seeing some of the other guys (considering most of these guys aren’t that good to begin with ) that isn’t a good sign. Does Morrow play special teams? Does he contribute anything other than a guy getting the breaks beat off him by Goedert all camp? All I know is no one is saying much about Morrow in a positive way. Heck someone just posted both Jack and Cunningham attributed themselves well when they practiced and they just got here. If Morrow wants to be here then he better ride to the competition like Quez Watkins has so for or he won’t be here. 

Based on how light the training camp practices are under Sirianni (relative to the rest of the league and compared to the past), it seems obvious they also don't play them much in the preseason games because they want to avoid risking injury in mostly meaningless games (only meaningful to get a look at the fringe players to see who should round out the DC but guessing that is limited to only a few spots).  But off-ball LB is a position where you can't really say any player is a lock to start so guessing all healthy bodies will get their fair share of snaps.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, time2rock said:

Based on how light the training camp practices are under Sirianni (relative to the rest of the league and compared to the past), it seems obvious they also don't play them much in the preseason games because they want to avoid risking injury in mostly meaningless games (only meaningful to get a look at the fringe players to see who should round out the DC but guessing that is limited to only a few spots).  But off-ball LB is a position where you can't really say any player is a lock to start so guessing all healthy bodies will get their fair share of snaps.  

Makes a lot of sense. We'll see if that's the approach.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
40 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

And just like that Morrow is gone. 

It was always toMorrow with that guy. Maybe he'll be back in November.

• Haha 1

I’m a little surprised by this just because we are all scarily thin at LB. Appreciate that Morrow wasn’t great but you still need bodies.