Derek Barnett

ManchesterEagle

On 7/21/2023 at 5:32 PM, ManchesterEagle said:

Saw a CSN Philly article recently which suggested Barnett was on the roster bubble. 

I know he’s a bit of a hate figure sometimes  due to not living up to a first rounder and the penalties, but he is a good rotational defensive end and they are not easy to find.

Graham is 35 now. Reddick is an edgy rusher rather than a DE. We all hope Smith can come in and contribute right away, but it may well be he needs a year or two. People say he is a Reddick clone, but Reddick wasn’t effective for 2 years.

We should not be cutting Barnett or trading him for nominal value. He could be important for us this year.

I agree completely.

There are a few roster holes on this team where we are banking heavily on younger unproven players to be successful starters (RG, DT, LB, S) and there's a possibility we may look to trade for a starter at that position if that hole is not adequately filled. Barnett could be a trade chip in that scenario to minimize trading away of future draft picks.

The holes at DT and S are mitigated by the fact we have Fletcher Cox and Terrell Edmunds on board as veterans with starting experience, however at RG you have a battle between a 2nd year center and rookie 3rd round OT converting to guard (really banking on Jeff Stoutland to work his magic here), whereas at LB we are relying heavily on Nakobe Dean making a big leap forward from his redshirt rookie year and Nicholas Morrow being a serviceable replacement for Kyzir White.

Some of these projections may work out in our favor with regards to the rookies and 2nd year players asked to step up for us, but realistically there's a good chance that one or more of these holes becomes a real liability for the team.

On 7/22/2023 at 7:17 PM, VaBeach_Eagle said:

Regardless of however the rest of his career goes, his role in 2017 and a few of the things that he was key in, make it impossible for me to ever 'hate' him as a player. I may be disappointed in how things went/go after 2017, but hate? Nope. Not me. 

On 7/22/2023 at 9:50 PM, Saltpeter said:

I like Barnett. He's a small, slow, injury prone hothead, but he's also tough as hell and a solid player. I worry if he makes the team they give him too many snaps at the expense of Nolan Smith.

On 7/22/2023 at 7:52 PM, MidMoFo said:

Derek Barnett hasn’t played up to his first round draft pick value. He knows that, we know that, everyone knows it. He missed all of last year due to injury. He’s on the 2nd year of a 2-year contract. He’s too good to get cut, and not produced enough for a team to offer compensation high enough to justify trading him away. 

Hopefully, he sees his opportunity, coming off injury and in a contract year, on a defense that historically rotates people through, that he’s got a chance to show out. 

Hopefully, he’s a hungry dog this year and runs just a little faster…

Yeah agreed on 2017. The SB fumble recovery obviously had a degree of luck, but that strip sack of Cousins in the Championship game was really key. That followed by the Foles to Jeffery touchdown really sank the Vikings.

He hasn't lived up to his first round status, but neither did Graham for a while. If he can stay healthy this year, then I think he will be at least a good rotational DE.

As for Smith, hopefully he comes in and contributes right away, but he's never had more than 3.5 sacks in a year in college and he might be a project and might not play that much in the first year. If both Smith and Barnett are effective, then they will find ways to get them on the field. With the loss of Hargrave, I see BG moving inside a bit more on passing downs, which should give the opportunity for the other edge rushers to play more.

I don’t think Barnett is a guy who is all that essential to the Eagles future this season. It’s probably the most important season of his career though. He’s really going to need to prove himself this year if he wants to get paid. He’s a guy who never seemed to get the timing right (except that day he picked up a fumble in the Super Bowl) where he just seemed to be a little too late and it would cost him. This year he’s got to be on time if he wants to get paid. Could see him either become a valuable rotational guy or out of the league. He’s going to have to work his tail off to keep a spot. 

BLG on BGN has Barnett being beaten out by Janarius Robinson. I feel more strongly than ever that Barnett makes the team and has a good year…..

3 hours ago, ManchesterEagle said:

BLG on BGN has Barnett being beaten out by Janarius Robinson. I feel more strongly than ever that Barnett makes the team and has a good year…..

I was hoping Robinson would have made some kind of an impact last year when we had some depth concerns. Maybe we wouldn't have had to trade for Quinn. At this point it's hard to get excited about a player we've had for a season and yet to see play. who knows, though ... maybe he'll have a good camp and show up in preseason. 

2 hours ago, brkmsn said:

I was hoping Robinson would have made some kind of an impact last year when we had some depth concerns. Maybe we wouldn't have had to trade for Quinn. At this point it's hard to get excited about a player we've had for a season and yet to see play. who knows, though ... maybe he'll have a good camp and show up in preseason. 

Didn't he spend most of the year IR?

8 minutes ago, kiwieagle said:

Didn't he spend most of the year IR?

Yeah. We signed him after Barnett went down and then he was never able to get on the field. So not only was he not much help, but never was able to show anything either. His two NFL seasons have been lost to injuries. He's a prospect that needs developing, but has yet to begin that process. How anybody can seriously predict he'd beat Barnett for a roster spot is baffling. Barnett is way closer to being a "star" than Robinson. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Godfather said:

What's the cap savings if he's cut? @paco

6 hours ago, brkmsn said:

Yeah. We signed him after Barnett went down and then he was never able to get on the field. So not only was he not much help, but never was able to show anything either. His two NFL seasons have been lost to injuries. He's a prospect that needs developing, but has yet to begin that process. How anybody can seriously predict he'd beat Barnett for a roster spot is baffling. Barnett is way closer to being a "star" than Robinson. 

They take a 10 million cap hit if they cut Barnett. I don’t know what the hit is if they trade him, but nobody is taking that cap hit on unless he is looking like he will be productive. If he’s looking good, then it isn’t worth us trading him.

It’s lazy writing by the beat writers. The Eagles clearly value Barnett, as they gave him a decent contract. The injury was unfortunate, but shouldn’t change how they view him. If he’s not ready for TC, he should be ready for preseason. 

We are theoretically deep at edge rusher, but Graham is 34 and Smith is unproven at the moment. Keep Barnett unless someone blows us away with an offer, which they won’t. 

11 hours ago, Godfather said:

What's the cap savings if he's cut? @paco

Year Age Base Salary Prorated Bonus Per Game Roster Bonus   Guaranteed Salary   Cap
Number
Cap %  
Dead Money & Cap Savings
Cut (pre-June 1)Cut (post-June 1)Trade (pre-June 1)Trade (post-June 1)RestructureExtension 
2022 26 $1,035,000 $693,000 $1,000,000   $2,035,000   $2,669,176 1.2%      
2023 📝 27 $1,080,000 $1,977,000 $1,000,000   $1,080,000   $3,115,824 1.3%  
$3,057,000
$58,824
2024 📝 28 Void $1,977,000 Void   Void   $1,977,000 0.8%  
$1,977,000
$0
2025 29 Void $1,977,000 Void   Void   $5,238,000 1.9%  
$1,977,000
$3,261,000
2026 30 Void $1,977,000 Void   Void   $0 0.0%  
$1,977,000
($1,977,000)
2027 31 Void $1,284,000 Void   Void   $0 --  
$1,284,000
($1,284,000)

Not much.  $58.8k this year with 2 million dead next year.  Overall you save 1 million on the contract.

5 minutes ago, paco said:
Year Age Base Salary Prorated Bonus Per Game Roster Bonus   Guaranteed Salary   Cap
Number
Cap %  
Dead Money & Cap Savings
Cut (pre-June 1)Cut (post-June 1)Trade (pre-June 1)Trade (post-June 1)RestructureExtension 
2022 26 $1,035,000 $693,000 $1,000,000   $2,035,000   $2,669,176 1.2%      
2023 📝 27 $1,080,000 $1,977,000 $1,000,000   $1,080,000   $3,115,824 1.3%  
$3,057,000
$58,824
2024 📝 28 Void $1,977,000 Void   Void   $1,977,000 0.8%  
$1,977,000
$0
2025 29 Void $1,977,000 Void   Void   $5,238,000 1.9%  
$1,977,000
$3,261,000
2026 30 Void $1,977,000 Void   Void   $0 0.0%  
$1,977,000
($1,977,000)
2027 31 Void $1,284,000 Void   Void   $0 --  
$1,284,000
($1,284,000)

Not much.  $58.8k this year with 2 million dead next year.  Overall you save 1 million on the contract.

I don't think otc has the numbers right on his contract. If they were going to cut him, it had to be before march 17, when $2 million of his salary for 2023 became gtd.

1 hour ago, jsb235 said:

I don't think otc has the numbers right on his contract. If they were going to cut him, it had to be before march 17, when $2 million of his salary for 2023 became gtd.

You are right.  And that seems to not have everything rolled up correctly.  This looks like a big dead cap hit

YEAR   AGE BASE SALARY ROSTER ROSTER/GM RESTRUCTURE CAP HIT DEAD CAP YEARLY CASH CASH AAV
2022 Contract details by year 26 $1,035,000 $941,176 - $693,000 $2,669,176  $6,000,000 $4,558,823($4,558,823) $4,558,823  

POTENTIAL OUT: 2023, 1 YR, $4,558,823; $10,692,000 DEAD CAP

2023 Contract details by year 27 $1,080,000 - $58,823 $1,977,000 $3,115,823 $10,692,000 $8,500,000($13,058,823) $6,529,412
2024 Contract details by year 28 - - - $1,977,000 $7,215,000 $7,215,000 -  
2025 Contract details by year 29 - - - $1,977,000 $1,977,000 - -  
2026 Contract details by year 30 - - - $1,977,000 $1,977,000 - -  
2027 Contract details by year 31 - - - $1,284,000 $1,284,000 - -
  • Like 1

He's just such a moron, that's why I can't stand him.  He takes really dumb penalties at the worst time.  If he fixes that, he's a good addition to the team but I don't see that happening. 

Barnett is not getting cut.  Period.  People in the media are just needlessly stirring the pot.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, EgyptianEagle said:

He's just such a moron, that's why I can't stand him.  He takes really dumb penalties at the worst time.  If he fixes that, he's a good addition to the team but I don't see that happening. 

It's kind of the nature of being aggressive.

13 hours ago, brkmsn said:

It's kind of the nature of being aggressive.

Plenty of aggressive football players that don’t take bad penalties. Why do you work so hard to try and defend bad play every time? 

6 hours ago, EazyEaglez said:

Plenty of aggressive football players that don’t take bad penalties. Why do you work so hard to try and defend bad play every time? 

Actually, I made a post a couple months ago showing that many of the big name, highly touted pass rushers in the NFL collected plenty of flags for offsides as well as the major penalties. The consensus of the rebuttals was that it was okay for them because in the end, they had more sacks than Barnett. 

When it comes to Barnett, people act like he gets a couple penalties every game --- which is so far from the truth. Yeah, I feel obligated to chime in. The last penalty Barnett had was a Roughing the passer vs Brady in the Wild Card game and that was clearly a terrible call.

The funniest thing is that you think Barnett might be out of football if he doesn't make the Eagles. 

On 7/24/2023 at 11:38 AM, EazyEaglez said:

Could see him either become a valuable rotational guy or out of the league.

:roll:

1 hour ago, time2rock said:

Speaking of Barnett … 

IMG_6468.jpeg

Overthecap was apparently way off on his salary figures and cap hit. Or else this is bad info. But somewhere the reporting on his salary is way off. 

Barnett was a really stupid draft pick and is poor value for his second contract…but those two things don’t mean he’s not worth the roster spot as serviceable depth, which he is.

Seems far less likely Barnett will be cut after this restructuring it seems. The Eagles still believe enough in the guy to want to keep him around. Just curious as to why Howie is doing this posturing move. Is he setting up a possible bigger move later or is this just to tray and save money as a whole. Not exactly sure why this was necessary.  

21 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

Seems far less likely Barnett will be cut after this restructuring it seems. The Eagles still believe enough in the guy to want to keep him around. Just curious as to why Howie is doing this posturing move. Is he setting up a possible bigger move later or is this just to tray and save money as a whole. Not exactly sure why this was necessary.  

Who cares why he did it, he is paying Barnett less which is a great thing. 

6 minutes ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

Who cares why he did it, he is paying Barnett less which is a great thing. 

I would hope it’s for the Eagles possibly positioning for an improvement (like a better linebacker or safety ) than just saving a few bucks.  

45 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

I would hope it’s for the Eagles possibly positioning for an improvement (like a better linebacker or safety ) than just saving a few bucks.  

Or he did it because Barnett wasn't worth what he was going to get paid. Then again Howie is always thinking ahead so might be lining something else up. 

I don't see them doing anything at those positions till later. How do we know what to improve on if we haven't seen them play yet? 

11 hours ago, time2rock said:

Speaking of Barnett … 

IMG_6468.jpeg

Yep - Barnett not going anywhere. He’ll rotate with Sweat at RDE.