Derek Barnett

ManchesterEagle

On 8/1/2023 at 8:18 PM, brkmsn said:

Before the 2016 season we re-signed Sam Bradford to a 2-year $36M contract with a $26M guarantee. That was following a season where he went 7-7 and ended with an 86.4 QB rating. That became the benchmark for a fringe starter at the QB position. We also signed Chase Daniel to a 3 year, $21M contract that year showing the value some teams have on reserve QBs. When it comes to DEs / Edge, they have a pretty high market value. The Eagles picked up Barnett's 5th year option for something around $10M in 2021. The contract he signed after that season was a 2-year, $14M contract (less than he made the year before). You may not understand it, but that was a fair deal for a fringe starter at that position. Sweat, Reddick and Graham were all scheduled to make more last season. 

I'm curious if anybody really remembers a specific play where a Barnett mistake cost us a game we clearly would have won. He averages 5.2 penalties (accepted) per season (including postseason). He averages 3.2 offsides or neutral zone infractions (accepted) per season. I know he's aggressive. I know he's not a perfect player. But fans sometimes remember a player made a lot more mistakes (in this case penalties) than he actually did. It's called blowing things out of proportion. Even Jason Kelce averages 4.5 penalties per season and he's our most reliable player. There are accusations around the league that Lane Johnson gets away with false starts on a regular basis. Coaches teach players how to "get away with" infractions all the time and the NFL largely lets many things slide. Penalties happen. Everybody knows this.

Honestly, I can live with his penalty rate. It's about average for a DE. Von Miller averages about 5.8 penalties per season. Joey Bosa 5.4 per season. Maxx Crosby 6 per season. Nick Bosa had 9 penalties last year. I just wish Barnett would make more big plays, like the other guys listed. Those guys are stars and Barnett has failed to get close to that status. 

Anyway, Barnett was a "consistent starter" for the healthy part of 4 seasons. Sweat ultimately surpassed him for a the starting gig. Barnett is an okay player that just never quite reached his potential --- which is a bit of a disappointment considering his draft status.

There have been games where he’s caused the Eagles to give up first downs on key third downs. I remember vividly a play where he over pursued, gave up the edge, and gave up a score. In the end what does that matter? I don’t recall any plays where Sydney Jones actually hurt the Eagles when he played for them. Does that mean he was a good player for them? Also what is Barnett’s time on the field that he’s getting his penalties. Jason Kelce plays almost all offensive plays. Does Barnett play all defensive plays? Penalties on offense generally do not cost the team to give an automatic advantage like most defensive penalties do. The majority of defensive penalties lead to immediate first downs for the offense. To attempt to compare these to players is ridiculously asinine. 

20 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

There have been games where he’s caused the Eagles to give up first downs on key third downs. I remember vividly a play where he over pursued, gave up the edge, and gave up a score. In the end what does that matter? I don’t recall any plays where Sydney Jones actually hurt the Eagles when he played for them. Does that mean he was a good player for them? Also what is Barnett’s time on the field that he’s getting his penalties. Jason Kelce plays almost all offensive plays. Does Barnett play all defensive plays? Penalties on offense generally do not cost the team to give an automatic advantage like most defensive penalties do. The majority of defensive penalties lead to immediate first downs for the offense. To attempt to compare these to players is ridiculously asinine. 

If you're going to write me up for "illegal caparison" I'll need to see your badge. Show me or tell me the play you are talking about. You claim to remember it. I want to see how it affected the game's outcome. In 2021, there were like 9 Eagles TDs called back due to penalties. I'm pretty sure offensive penalties can be just as significant. 

My only claim is that you're making a mountain out of a molehill so you have something to gripe about. Barnett's penalties have been about average for his snaps/position. So has his production. That's why people aren't forgiving him for the penalties and making them seem more frequent and significant than they really are. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, brkmsn said:

If you're going to write me up for "illegal caparison" I'll need to see your badge. Show me or tell me the play you are talking about. You claim to remember it. I want to see how it affected the game's outcome. In 2021, there were like 9 Eagles TDs called back due to penalties. I'm pretty sure offensive penalties can be just as significant. 

My only claim is that you're making a mountain out of a molehill so you have something to gripe about. Barnett's penalties have been about average for his snaps/position. So has his production. That's why people aren't forgiving him for the penalties and making them seem more frequent and significant than they really are. 

So you tend to claim that I "hate” a player because, I write something negative about a mediocre player or their mediocre play so it leaves me to wonder if I "hate” them do truly love those mediocre players? Also I’m not the one who was show to have said "It’s always "bleeping” him” about one of these players while giving the other guy a keg of beer and begging the other guy to come back. I guess in your eyes the coach is making a mountain out of a mole hill too. 😂🤣😂 

6 hours ago, EazyEaglez said:

So you tend to claim that I "hate” a player because, I write something negative about a mediocre player or their mediocre play  

Please show us this "claim." Putting words in other people's mouths is ignorance. Believing it is a sign of stupidity.

Also I’m not the one who was show to have said "It’s always "bleeping” him” about one of these players while giving the other guy a keg of beer and begging the other guy to come back. I guess in your eyes the coach is making a mountain out of a mole hill too. 😂🤣😂 

nick-sirianni-with-a-96-sticker-on-his-v

"Derek will be out and he tore his ACL, obviously that's a big blow for us. I love the way Derek Barnett comes to work every day and plays with grittiness, and toughness. I am a huge Derek Barnett fan and he will be missed," Sirianni said.

"As far as Derek goes, he’s had two of those big ones in third-down scenarios, but I do believe, just like the rest of the team, we’re trending in the right way with our penalty situation. So, Derek is a defensive lineman, and it’s like a — I don’t want to say it’s exactly like this, but it does have the elements of a tight end who drops a pass. It does happen. It can’t happen in that situation, but it does happen. But I believe Derek is trending in the right direction and he had a back fall yesterday.

So, again, I can’t speak to — I just have to look at the element of work that I’m dealing with that I’ve been here for. I can’t speak to anything that’s happened in the past. It’s this 2021 season, and Derek had a penalty yesterday that he’s going to want back. Jalen [Hurts] missed a throw that he’s going to want back. DeVonta [Smith] missed a route that’s he’s going to want back.

That’s the nature of the game. I got a lot of confidence in Derek. Derek made some nice plays. Derek is a guy that plays extremely hard and extremely tough. He made some nice plays in that game. We were going over our couple good and our couple bad from the defense; Derek was on both of the couple good plays, so he did some good things in that game.”

• Like 1

2 hours ago, brkmsn said:

Please show us this "claim." Putting words in other people's mouths is ignorance. Believing it is a sign of stupidity.

"Derek will be out and he tore his ACL, obviously that's a big blow for us. I love the way Derek Barnett comes to work every day and plays with grittiness, and toughness. I am a huge Derek Barnett fan and he will be missed," Sirianni said.

"As far as Derek goes, he’s had two of those big ones in third-down scenarios, but I do believe, just like the rest of the team, we’re trending in the right way with our penalty situation. So, Derek is a defensive lineman, and it’s like a — I don’t want to say it’s exactly like this, but it does have the elements of a tight end who drops a pass. It does happen. It can’t happen in that situation, but it does happen. But I believe Derek is trending in the right direction and he had a back fall yesterday.

So, again, I can’t speak to — I just have to look at the element of work that I’m dealing with that I’ve been here for. I can’t speak to anything that’s happened in the past. It’s this 2021 season, and Derek had a penalty yesterday that he’s going to want back. Jalen [Hurts] missed a throw that he’s going to want back. DeVonta [Smith] missed a route that’s he’s going to want back.

That’s the nature of the game. I got a lot of confidence in Derek. Derek made some nice plays. Derek is a guy that plays extremely hard and extremely tough. He made some nice plays in that game. We were going over our couple good and our couple bad from the defense; Derek was on both of the couple good plays, so he did some good things in that game.”

You really think he sees these two players as the same? :blink:

2 hours ago, EazyEaglez said:

As a head coach, I'm pretty sure he understands football is a team sport. But, hey ... if you don't like what he said, take it up with him. You can pretend he never wanted Barnett back. You can pretend he never wore 96 on his visor. You can pretend he didn't say good things about him. You can also pretend when he lashes out at a player mistake that Barnett is the only player it happened to. 

League sources said Thursday that, after Sunday’s blowout loss to the Chiefs, Eagles rookie coach Nick Sirianni blistered his defensive coaching staff in meetings early this week.

He targeted rookie coordinator Jonathan Gannon in particular. Sirianni is frustrated at Gannon’s toothless, amorphous scheme; Gannon’s timid calls; and Gannon’s poor utilization of star players like defensive tackle Fletcher Cox and Darius Slay.

"It was some tough conversations in the defensive room this morning,” Sirianni said Monday. This, according to the sources, was an understatement.

Sirianni was mad. But it sounds like Gannon didn’t get the message. source

also, more recently: https://theathletic.com/4749422/2023/08/04/eagles-training-camp-nick-sirianni-jalen-hurts/

3 hours ago, brkmsn said:

As a head coach, I'm pretty sure he understands football is a team sport. But, hey ... if you don't like what he said, take it up with him. You can pretend he never wanted Barnett back. You can pretend he never wore 96 on his visor. You can pretend he didn't say good things about him. You can also pretend when he lashes out at a player mistake that Barnett is the only player it happened to. 

League sources said Thursday that, after Sunday’s blowout loss to the Chiefs, Eagles rookie coach Nick Sirianni blistered his defensive coaching staff in meetings early this week.

He targeted rookie coordinator Jonathan Gannon in particular. Sirianni is frustrated at Gannon’s toothless, amorphous scheme; Gannon’s timid calls; and Gannon’s poor utilization of star players like defensive tackle Fletcher Cox and Darius Slay.

"It was some tough conversations in the defensive room this morning,” Sirianni said Monday. This, according to the sources, was an understatement.

Sirianni was mad. But it sounds like Gannon didn’t get the message. source

also, more recently: https://theathletic.com/4749422/2023/08/04/eagles-training-camp-nick-sirianni-jalen-hurts/

I didn’t ask you if he thought that football was a team sport. I asked you if you thought these two players were the same. The long written BS afterwards wasn’t necessary for a yes or no question. 

41 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

I didn’t ask you if he thought that football was a team sport. I asked you if you thought these two players were the same. The long written BS afterwards wasn’t necessary for a yes or no question. 

Here is what you asked me:

I can't answer for Sirianni. But he has quotes out there that you can choose to believe or not.

In the context of making a key mistake on a play, all players are the same. A mistake can change the outcome of the play. A better or great player can make a mistake and so can a lesser, average or even bad player. 

If you just want to ask what player is better or which guy is more important, you can pretty much look at their contracts and find your answer. But even the best of them can make a key mistake at a huge moment ... and that mistake could be the difference in the outcome of the game. So I believe what Sirianni said. 

4 hours ago, brkmsn said:

Here is what you asked me:

I can't answer for Sirianni. But he has quotes out there that you can choose to believe or not.

In the context of making a key mistake on a play, all players are the same. A mistake can change the outcome of the play. A better or great player can make a mistake and so can a lesser, average or even bad player. 

If you just want to ask what player is better or which guy is more important, you can pretty much look at their contracts and find your answer. But even the best of them can make a key mistake at a huge moment ... and that mistake could be the difference in the outcome of the game. So I believe what Sirianni said. 

You would be the guy who would be telling everyone that they were "over reacting” and to "calm down” if anyone wrote anything critical about Davion Taylor right up to the point he got cut. 😂🤣😂

You would be the guy who would be telling everyone that they were "over reacting” and to "calm down” if anyone wrote anything critical about Davion Taylor right up to the point he got cut. 😂🤣😂

You just can't stop yourself from putting words in other people's mouths. What is even sadder is that you probably already believe I said them. 

3 hours ago, brkmsn said:

You just can't stop yourself from putting words in other people's mouths. What is even sadder is that you probably already believe I said them. 

Wait aren’t you the same guy who claimed I hated someone when I’ve never said that? Except for Chip Kelly of course. 

9 hours ago, EazyEaglez said:

Wait aren’t you the same guy who claimed I hated someone when I’ve never said that? Except for Chip Kelly of course. 

Nope. Once again, that was you putting words in my mouth and believing it. Here you go:

On 8/5/2023 at 7:06 PM, brkmsn said:

On 8/6/2023 at 2:01 AM, EazyEaglez said:

So you tend to claim that I "hate” a player because, I write something negative about a mediocre player or their mediocre play so it leaves me to wonder if I "hate” them do truly love those mediocre players? Also I’m not the one who was show to have said "It’s always "bleeping” him” about one of these players while giving the other guy a keg of beer and begging the other guy to come back. I guess in your eyes the coach is making a mountain out of a mole hill too. 😂🤣😂 

On 8/6/2023 at 8:55 AM, brkmsn said:

I do admit to calling someone that puts words in someone else's mouth and then believes them to be stupid. Ya got me!

8 hours ago, brkmsn said:

Nope. Once again, that was you putting words in my mouth and believing it. Here you go:

I do admit to calling someone that puts words in someone else's mouth and then believes them to be stupid. Ya got me!

Actually you wrote I hate your boy JJAW. Seems you have forgotten that one. 

Barnett's problem is that he looked a star in college, 3 times mentioned in All SEC, consensus All American the season before he came out, drafted top 15 and he's just been an OK guy.

Here's a list of the DE's drafted between 10-20 since 2010

Jason Pierre Paul

Derrick Morgan

JJ Watt

Robert Quinn

Ryan Kerrigan

Adrian Clayborn

Bruce Irvin

Quinton Coples

Shae McClellin

Arik Armstead

Shaq Lawson

DEREK BARNETT

Jonathan Allen

Marcus Davenport

Brian Burns

K'Lavon Chaisson

Jaelan Phillips

Now how many of those guys are you saying are absolutely definitely worse than Derek Barnett, 4? maybe 5?

It's not his fault, but being a top 15 DE brings a certain level of expectation and he isn't measuring up.

2 hours ago, EazyEaglez said:

Actually you wrote I hate your boy JJAW. Seems you have forgotten that one. 

Ahhh ... Was that really you?

LOL!

On 8/6/2023 at 3:06 AM, brkmsn said:

On 8/8/2023 at 11:24 AM, Cochis_Calhoun said:

Barnett's problem is that he looked a star in college, 3 times mentioned in All SEC, consensus All American the season before he came out, drafted top 15 and he's just been an OK guy.

Here's a list of the DE's drafted between 10-20 since 2010

Jason Pierre Paul

Derrick Morgan

JJ Watt

Robert Quinn

Ryan Kerrigan

Adrian Clayborn

Bruce Irvin

Quinton Coples

Shae McClellin

Arik Armstead

Shaq Lawson

DEREK BARNETT

Jonathan Allen

Marcus Davenport

Brian Burns

K'Lavon Chaisson

Jaelan Phillips

Now how many of those guys are you saying are absolutely definitely worse than Derek Barnett, 4? maybe 5?

It's not his fault, but being a top 15 DE brings a certain level of expectation and he isn't measuring up.

Firstly on brk's points, absolutely right. It's ridiculous to focus on a Siriani heat of the moment comment and ignore all the good he has said about him and the fact the Eagles gave him a pretty good contract before he got hurt last year. It's like the Hurts Haters who were obsessed with a Bucs coaching saying that he couldn't read the D in the playoffs. 

It's also absolutely fair to say Barnett has been a disappointment given where he was drafted. He has. 

But what I can't stand is the idiots who want to cut him or trade him away for a linebacker project or a 7th, no doubt triggered by some of Philadephia's 'quality' beat writers like BLG and Kempski. DE/Edge is one of the most important positions. Barnett can play the run okay and get pressure on the QB and contribute a few sacks. No that's not what you want from a top 15 pick, but it is also hard to replace. Look what happened with Quinn last year.

Barnett is already mixing in with the firsts and the reality is that if he stays healthy he will be and should be a key part of the Eagles edge rotation. 

• Like 1

We almost had out first fight of training camp. Derek Barnett threw Landon Dickerson to the ground well after the whistle on one play, and then tried to fight him, but was pulled away. Barnett was flagged for a personal foul, which, uh, doesn't happen often in practice.

Totally overblown!

39 minutes ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

We almost had out first fight of training camp. Derek Barnett threw Landon Dickerson to the ground well after the whistle on one play, and then tried to fight him, but was pulled away. Barnett was flagged for a personal foul, which, uh, doesn't happen often in practice.

Totally overblown!

Let me know when he's dual-wielding helmets as weapons. On second thought, never mind ... that didn't turn out to be that big of a deal either. 

• Like 1

Barnett was probably justified in being upset with the play, but this guys is supposed to be a vet and who always get caught? The guy who retaliates is the one who gets the flag. It’s just stupid, but I hope he’s smart enough not to do this in a game even though he hasn’t done a good job of getting dumb penalties in the past.

27 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

Barnett was probably justified in being upset with the play, but this guys is supposed to be a vet and who always get caught? The guy who retaliates is the one who gets the flag. It’s just stupid, but I hope he’s smart enough not to do this in a game even though he hasn’t done a good job of getting dumb penalties in the past.

Practice is a good place to demonstrate growth as a player. It's also a good place to get bad play/plays corrected without actually hurting the team. 

What is odd are the two conflicting reports: Jimmy Kempski stated:

"We almost had out first fight of training camp. Derek Barnett threw Landon Dickerson to the ground well after the whistle on one play, and then tried to fight him, but was pulled away."

Jeff McClane stated:

"Derek Barnett-Landon Dickerson mini-scuffle at practice. Pretty much started by Dickerson with his blindside block. One defensive player called it "cheap.” Barnett retaliated. Dickerson didn’t budge much when pushed and just stood there. Ended quickly when others jumped in."

Honestly, I'm inclined to believe the 2nd report. It's more believable for starters and much more complete. Barnett throwing a much bigger Dickerson to the ground? Yeah ... I doubt it. Oh ... and then he tried to fight him. Either Jimmy was watching something else and made his report unsure what had really just happened or he just wants to stir up some anti-Barnett feelings from the fan base. From the other account it's almost like Jeff actually saw the whole thing from start to finish. In Kempski's article, I think he just wanted to twist reality so he could use his:

Nick_Barnett.width-704.png

https://www.phillyvoice.com/eagles-2023-training-camp-practice-notes-day-9-almost-fight-derek-barnett/

This is the kind of reporting that turns fans against certain players. Do your job, be accurate. Be thorough. But unless your name is Dave Spadaro, keep your spin to yourself. 

• Like 1

I know you gush over average players and bad play, but the issue here is players are going to test Barnett and he has to be smart enough not to engage. Defending bad play is ridiculous. Not to mention it was also Barnett who got into a scuffle last season with Dillard too. I’d say this guy has to lose the Eagles games for certain people to stop defending him, but heck we saw Quez Watkins make several bad plays last year yet people kept defending him. At least Quez is trying to be different, because he understands what he did last time wasn’t acceptable. This guy is still being the same guy and captain save a dope has to come in and be his cheerleader chiding anyone who dares say anything negative about this backup first round bust. 

17 hours ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

Totally overblown!

I have to wonder if anyone who is trying to defend Barnett’s actions here actually watches football, because we have seen this story play out over and over again in the league. The guy who retaliates is the one who usually gets the penalty. If this guy is doing this stuff in practice then what do people think is going to happen in games? Also don’t  give me (not you btw) that garbage talk of him being aggressive. Brian Dawkins was aggressive. Trotter was aggressive. Ronnie Lott was aggressive. This is just stupid football. 

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

I know you gush over average players and bad play, but the issue here is players are going to test Barnett and he has to be smart enough not to engage. Defending bad play is ridiculous. Not to mention it was also Barnett who got into a scuffle last season with Dillard too. I’d say this guy has to lose the Eagles games for certain people to stop defending him, but heck we saw Quez Watkins make several bad plays last year yet people kept defending him. At least Quez is trying to be different, because he understands what he did last time wasn’t acceptable. This guy is still being the same guy and captain save a dope has to come in and be his cheerleader chiding anyone who dares say anything negative about this backup first round bust. 

" Blah, blah, blah ... "  The old, "I know you gush over average players and bad play..." line. You might as well just put it in your signature so you don't have to type it every post. Contrary to what you believe, disagreeing with you isn't "gushing." Here's a tool that might help you in the future: https://www.dictionary.com/ You're welcome. Now you can see what English words mean. I don't constantly criticize every player that isn't God's gift to football. I understand that there's no such thing as a perfect player and that teams consist mostly of average players doing their jobs. Sometimes a lesser player will face a greater player (opponent) on the field and lose. That is sports. That doesn't mean the loser is definitely bad. It does mean the winner was better that day. When I get into most arguments about players that aren't yet considered "great" (and maybe never will be) that is because I don't agree with a specific notion another person is arguing. When it come to someone like Barnett, some people want to constantly harp about penalties even though he only averages about 5 per season.  So to me, that's not as big a deal as others try to make it. Oh, but you remember a specific penalty vividly, but can't tell us when it happened and the outcome of the game. Good for you. 

As for Dillard, he got into fights with 4 different guys last year in TC, --- but "Barnett!!"

• Like 1

8 hours ago, brkmsn said:

" Blah, blah, blah ... "  The old, "I know you gush over average players and bad play..." line. You might as well just put it in your signature so you don't have to type it every post. Contrary to what you believe, disagreeing with you isn't "gushing." Here's a tool that might help you in the future: https://www.dictionary.com/ You're welcome. Now you can see what English words mean. I don't constantly criticize every player that isn't God's gift to football. I understand that there's no such thing as a perfect player and that teams consist mostly of average players doing their jobs. Sometimes a lesser player will face a greater player (opponent) on the field and lose. That is sports. That doesn't mean the loser is definitely bad. It does mean the winner was better that day. When I get into most arguments about players that aren't yet considered "great" (and maybe never will be) that is because I don't agree with a specific notion another person is arguing. When it come to someone like Barnett, some people want to constantly harp about penalties even though he only averages about 5 per season.  So to me, that's not as big a deal as others try to make it. Oh, but you remember a specific penalty vividly, but can't tell us when it happened and the outcome of the game. Good for you. 

As for Dillard, he got into fights with 4 different guys last year in TC, --- but "Barnett!!"

"So to me, that's not as big a deal as others try to make it.”

To you nothing a mediocre player does or doesn’t do is a big deal. You just only care if anyone dares to say or write anything negative about it. Undisciplined and stupid football loses football games. If that kind of sloppy undisciplined play gets you excited then have at it. Jump up and down like a dope every time this idiot hits someone late, because he’s playing stupid football that hurts the team. 

• Like 1

"Stock down

DE Derek Barnett

While Barnett is getting plenty of first- and second-team reps, the only time I have really noticed him was on Wednesday when he took exception to a crack-back block from Landon Dickerson and retaliated with a shove in the back that send Dickerson to the ground and drew a penalty flag. Barnett is in Year 7 and he’s still making dumb decisions on the field.”

https://www.nbcsportsphiladelphia.com/nfl/philadelphia-eagles/eagles-stock-up-stock-down-before-1st-preseason-game-nfl/532053/

Im sure it means nothing that the only thing noticed from his 1st and 2nd team reps was his stupid penalty. Gosh we are making too much of this! . :rolleyes: