Hate to say it…. Hurts got paid. He’s done

uncphillyfan

5 hours ago, NOTW said:

No, players and coaches should not and likely will not speak negatively about each other in the media. 

In this case, Covey said something and it was twisted and purposely spun as something negative and fans fell for it and immediately believed it. Then Covey corrected it. He didn't just say something PC, he laid out specifically what he said and then praised Hurts as a great teammate. If he really felt that way but didn't want heat for it he would have been in spin mode himself.

AJ Brown did the same thing. He went in front of reporters and set the record straight. He was professional, direct and clear. People in the media are ALWAYS stirring up drama about this team when they're losing. Partly because many of them are fans with a press pass who get mad and frustrated and partly because they know Philly fans are pessimistic and believe every negative thing. People still run with narratives after the evidence disproves it.  There's a large portion of Philadelphia fans that buy the negative stuff EVERY TIME. It's confirmation bias. The media knows the fans are upset and they prey on that. And fans get worked up.

Once the truth comes out and the players say directly it's not true, they think Jalen's a good leader, etc. then fans STILL don't buy it like you're doing, making excuses or saying it's just damage control, etc.

Look at the completely conflicting narratives about this team the last 8-10 weeks, even in the last week we've heard conflicting "reports" about coaching that contradict each other. Fans believe it all, until the next blogger or no-name Twitter account posts a "rumor" and some fans immediately believe it without questioning it.

As much as you and I have disagreed on Hurts potential and culpability (I still believe he way overachieved in 2022 and 2023 was more of a reflection of the mean) I do agree with you in that he is likely not a locker room issue.  

But to be fair regarding QB issues revealed by the local media, they reported correctly about McNabb AND Wentz, and if you’re old enough, they also reported correctly about Cunningham.  I don’t recall the same media stirring the pot regarding Vick or Jaws.  We’ve had other QB’s (e.g. Detmer, Kolb, McMahon, Hoying) that were either too brief or irrelevant that the media didn’t really pay them much attention.  What does concern me here a little bit is that the coaches at Oklahoma weren’t overly flattering about his year there behind closed doors.  That’s been disclosed in multiple scouting reports.  But back to my earlier assertion, I don’t think we’ve got any credible reason to believe he is an issue in the locker room.  But don’t be closed minded to it either just because you’re cynical of the local media.  They’ve gotten this right with three other high profile QB’s and, at first, we didn’t believe it could be a possibility in those examples. 

On 1/22/2024 at 5:58 PM, eaglesfan0075 said:

They need to ask the hard hitting questions, like how many teammates showed up to his birthday party?

God that movie is so terrible 

• Haha 1

After constantly hearing "the sky's the limit with this guy," everything is going to be a let down. There's 31 teams every seasons that don't win the Super Bowl, some with elite quarterbacks. 

With a decent OC, Hurts took the team to the super bowl, played great and could have won the SB MVP.  So the talent is there.

A relationship between a QB and an OC is vitally important......and the eagles had a terrible OC this year.  And with Sirianni hovering over johnson, I doubt that Hurts had any say into the playcalling.  The whole offensive soap opera was a clusterf----.

Hurts "regressed" because defenses knew what was coming because they publicly said that the eagles offense was predictable.  Offensive players were openly frustrated and vocal. Hurts developed some bad habits by trying to force things and make things happen.  

The offense was boring, predictable, uncreative and the playcalling didn't try to create mismatches and the situational calls were idiotic. It's tough to play under those conditions.

Jalen Hurts has all the talent he needs.......but he needs an OC that will collaborate with him, create more formations, more movement, more mismatches and utilize all the talent around him.  To blame Hurts for this mess is short sighted and misguided.  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, birdman#12 said:

With a decent OC, Hurts took the team to the super bowl, played great and could have won the SB MVP.  So the talent is there.

A relationship between a QB and an OC is vitally important......and the eagles had a terrible OC this year.  And with Sirianni hovering over johnson, I doubt that Hurts had any say into the playcalling.  The whole offensive soap opera was a clusterf----.

Hurts "regressed" because defenses knew what was coming because they publicly said that the eagles offense was predictable.  Offensive players were openly frustrated and vocal. Hurts developed some bad habits by trying to force things and make things happen.  

The offense was boring, predictable, uncreative and the playcalling didn't try to create mismatches and the situational calls were idiotic. It's tough to play under those conditions.

Jalen Hurts has all the talent he needs.......but he needs an OC that will collaborate with him, create more formations, more movement, more mismatches and utilize all the talent around him.  To blame Hurts for this mess is short sighted and misguided.  

I really feel that the Eagles failed to advance as an offense to mirror Jalen's advances as an NFL QB. The stuff we did in 2022 was fine, but in 2023 it was the same crap with the added penalty of protecting the QB at the cost of offensive consistency. If you expect the QB to slide before every hit, then don't run read option plays at all. If the read option is no longer an effective part of his game, replace it with plays that let the other guys we don't care about (like Brown, Smith, Goedert, and Swift) get the ball and take the hit. 

Yeah ... I'm being facetious. I'm tired of people pretending that injuries can intentionally be mitigated by throwing plays away. If people want so bad to "protect" their franchise QB, then let him do everything possible to get big leads early and hope you can take him out of the game a few series early. The only business decision a professional player should make in a game is to win. 

21 hours ago, birdman#12 said:

I stumbled across this article the other day 

https://www.delawareonline.com/story/sports/nfl/eagles/2023/01/25/eagles-top-2-assistants-criticism-not-nick-sirianni-49ers-demeco-ryans-head-coach-nfc-championship/69832897007/

Here is a quote from the article

The same is true for offensive coordinator Shane Steichen whose offensive schemes have been called unimaginative by critics, and that Jalen Hurts is excelling because he's a "system QB," as Cowboys pass rusher Micah Parsons recently described Hurts − whatever that means.

The Eagles were exceptional at finding a teams weakness and punishing them over and over again last season. Like the way they ran the ball on the Giants in the playoffs, it wasn't creative, it was 'we know you can't stop this, good luck'. This year they really struggled and it started with Hurts inability to run effectively. It was a major part of the offense and due to the knee injury and them wanting to protect him more it limited what they were able to do at times. I think this is why they're looking at overhauling the scheme, you can't build an offense around a QB running the ball when you're limiting what he can do as a runner like @brkmsn pointed out. It's destined to fail from the get go 

• Like 1

On 1/25/2024 at 1:29 PM, birdman#12 said:

You know how many OC's have cycled through for every QB that has won a SB in the last 20 years?  Elite QB's have musical chairs at OC because they are getting HC jobs.

Wentz wasn't good enough to survive that instability with the hand holding.  And Hurts has yet to prove that he's good enough either.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, eagle45 said:

You know how many OC's have cycled through for every QB that has won a SB in the last 20 years?  Elite QB's have musical chairs at OC because they are getting HC jobs.

Wentz wasn't good enough to survive that instability with the hand holding.  And Hurts has yet to prove that he's good enough either.

Don't worry, he probably has another 10 years as a starter to prove whatever he has to prove. 

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, eagle45 said:

But, if you look at the best QBs in the league, most had coaching stability for their first 2-3 years.  HC and OC.  Historically, that's also true.

My point it that when a young QB is developing, changing head coaches, OCs and offensive systems can hamper their progress. It takes 2-3 years to master an offense, learn defensive schemes, learn to read and audible.....

It's also important to have a good QB coach....if the OC isn't particularly good at teaching, the QB coach is vital.

Take a look at QBs that won the super bowl, but especially those that had long productive careers......the early coaching stability is a common thread.

• Like 1

On 1/25/2024 at 1:29 PM, birdman#12 said:

Maybe it's just the quality of the player.  I remember people praised McNabb and drove Andy Reid away.  So how did McNabb do without Reid and how did Reid do?  Some Eagles fans did the same for Bill Belichick and Brady and claimed that Belichick was the reason for the Patriots success and not Brady.  Well, how did Belichick do after Brady and how did Brady do after leaving New England?

9 hours ago, birdman#12 said:

But, if you look at the best QBs in the league, most had coaching stability for their first 2-3 years.  HC and OC.  Historically, that's also true.

My point it that when a young QB is developing, changing head coaches, OCs and offensive systems can hamper their progress. It takes 2-3 years to master an offense, learn defensive schemes, learn to read and audible.....

It's also important to have a good QB coach....if the OC isn't particularly good at teaching, the QB coach is vital.

Take a look at QBs that won the super bowl, but especially those that had long productive careers......the early coaching stability is a common thread.

This is why it’s better at least for the Eagles to have a HC who actually calls the plays instead of the OC. Here we are now getting a completely different OC with his own style and we expect Jalen to become a master of said system in less than a year? And what happens if he actually accomplishes that? Moore gets hired as a new HC someplace else and we are back to square one. Reid was always the play caller here and it didn’t matter who replaced his OC, because it started and finished with him. Can’t say that for Sirianni. It starts and finishes with the OC in his case. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, EazyEaglez said:

This is why it’s better at least for the Eagles to have a HC who actually calls the plays instead of the OC. Here we are now getting a completely different OC with his own style and we expect Jalen to become a master of said system in less than a year? And what happens if he actually accomplishes that? Moore gets hired as a new HC someplace else and we are back to square one. Reid was always the play caller here and it didn’t matter who replaced his OC, because it started and finished with him. Can’t say that for Sirianni. It starts and finishes with the OC in his case. 

Instead of allowing him to be poached, why wouldn't the Eagles make Moore the head coach after this year?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mortimer said:

Instead of allowing him to be poached, why wouldn't the Eagles make Moore the head coach after this year?

I guess they might? If Moore does well this year but Sirianni doesn't impress then they might promote Moore.

57 minutes ago, Mortimer said:

Well if they perform well Sirianni probably gets an extension.

From Jon Ritchie recently:

Jalen is close. Jalen is close to being outstanding. That day started with Lamar Jackson being the shoe-in for MVP and then he made mistakes...How much worse was Jalen this season than what we saw from Lamar in that game? I'm telling you, he's close...I've watched Jalen be a better decision maker than Lamar pretty consistently now for years. Jalen is close. With the right guidance and tutelage he can get there."

https://www.audacy.com/94wip/sports/eagles/championship-nfl-qb-jalen-hurts-lamar-jackson-eagles

• Confused 1

On 1/29/2024 at 6:17 AM, EazyEaglez said:

Well if they perform well Sirianni probably gets an extension.

Maybe we could do a sign and trade with Sirianni...for a day 2 draft pick.

Dude looked just as lost at the pro bowl as he did on the field 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MagicMoment said:

Dude looked just as lost at the pro bowl as he did on the field 

Did he go to the wrong aisle during the Supermarket Sweep challenge?

• Like 1

No one has actually mentioned this to my knowledge is Jalen suffering from CTE possibly? I just the saw the pro bowl, there is something definitely not right with him.

• Confused 2

On 2/3/2024 at 1:43 AM, Jeep_man said:

No one has actually mentioned this to my knowledge is Jalen suffering from CTE possibly? I just the saw the pro bowl, there is something definitely not right with him.

We can only speculate at this juncture. CTE can only be definitively diagnosed with a biopsy, but a presumptive diagnosis can be made based on symptoms. 

I haven't watched the Pro Bowl game this year so can't comment on Jalen's performance, but out of curiosity what was it that made you think he may be suffering from CTE? Was it just overall poor performance or something in particular stood out to you?

9 hours ago, eaglesfan0075 said:

We can only speculate at this juncture. CTE can only be definitively diagnosed with a biopsy, but a presumptive diagnosis can be made based on symptoms. 

I haven't watched the Pro Bowl game this year so can't comment on Jalen's performance, but out of curiosity what was it that made you think he may be suffering from CTE? Was it just overall poor performance or something in particular stood out to you?

Overall it was a avg to poor performance, It all seemed like the whole carry over from the last 7 games. It was quite a regression over the last few months, I haven't seen something like this in a long time..

Maybe I am reading too much into it, maybe it is;  Hurts got paid and he doesn't care, maybe its the coaching, or maybe it is CTE.. Next season will tell if Jalen is the guy moving forward, if he has another bad year, who knows what will happen.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Jalen has always been fully dedicated to improving as a player. But in this last offseason, he had a lot of other things going on as well. He probably thought he could handle all of it and maybe it was too much. I have a feeling this offseason will have a bigger focus on football for him. 

11 wins and 40 tds isn’t a bad year lol

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DawkinsOwnage03 said:

11 wins and 40 tds isn’t a bad year lol

Yeah, let's not forget he was the favorite for MVP after week 12. But we'll see how he looks next season, hopefully he just needs to refocus.

On 1/25/2024 at 6:02 PM, brkmsn said:

I really feel that the Eagles failed to advance as an offense to mirror Jalen's advances as an NFL QB. The stuff we did in 2022 was fine, but in 2023 it was the same crap with the added penalty of protecting the QB at the cost of offensive consistency. If you expect the QB to slide before every hit, then don't run read option plays at all. If the read option is no longer an effective part of his game, replace it with plays that let the other guys we don't care about (like Brown, Smith, Goedert, and Swift) get the ball and take the hit. 

Yeah ... I'm being facetious. I'm tired of people pretending that injuries can intentionally be mitigated by throwing plays away. If people want so bad to "protect" their franchise QB, then let him do everything possible to get big leads early and hope you can take him out of the game a few series early. The only business decision a professional player should make in a game is to win. 

Well, you can protect your QB in a number of ways.  You have to admit when you have a MVP caliber QB, if he gets hurt, the offense can suffer.  QBs simply don't need to be part of a designed running game.  Scrambling is one thing, design plays is another.  

A good OC can create a very effective and consistent offense without the need to run the QB.  A modern NFL QB is still most effective and dangerous when he is passing. 

Quick reads, quick progressions, quick decisions and quick release create more production and scores than a QB running.  Because the production a running QB makes can be replace by a RB......the production a good passing QB creates can't be replaced except by a back-up and usually not nearly as well.