OZARK

DBW

On 5/1/2020 at 5:20 PM, DaEagles4Life said:

If Ben doesn't win some type of award then I don't know what to watch for with good acting 

Wife and I discussed the same. His acting was amazing. 

About 8 episodes in and I still can't shake the feeling this is just a poor man's Breaking Bad.   You have a couple strong performances in the center, the Langovers are good characters, but there are way too many side characters that just chew screen time and do nothing.  The daughter sucks too(blistering hot though).  Also missing the humor and clever camera work of BB.

42 minutes ago, dawkins4prez said:

About 8 episodes in and I still can't shake the feeling this is just a poor man's Breaking Bad.   You have a couple strong performances in the center, the Langovers are good characters, but there are way too many side characters that just chew screen time and do nothing.  The daughter sucks too(blistering hot though).  Also missing the humor and clever camera work of BB.

It's a great show.  8 episodes in you ain't seen nothing yet. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, dawkins4prez said:

yeah stay with it. Theres a whole ongoing shitck around here about how "x reminds me of Breaking Bad," and its basically bc of how every person who starts watching Ozark has to mention that. Not even bc of how its their fault for such a boring opinion, but bc of how cookie cutterish it really was as a BrBa spinoff early on. Stay with it. You will really come to respect Jason Bateman as a talent not just on screen but behind the camera as well (he essentially directed 1/3 of the total episodes).

edit: damn shame the old boards are gone and with it all of that discussion on this show from the prior seasons.  

i enjoyed seasons 1 & 2.  i'm on ep 3 of season 3 right now and 

Spoiler

it's honestly pretty annoying so far. it's the obvious husband vs wife power struggle & most of their problems could be solved if the 2 of them sat down & had a 10 minute conversation. 

i'll stick with it though...i've heard/read great things about the season finale.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, mr_hunt said:

i enjoyed seasons 1 & 2.  i'm on ep 3 of season 3 right now and 

Hide contents

it's honestly pretty annoying so far. it's the obvious husband vs wife power struggle & most of their problems could be solved if the 2 of them sat down & had a 10 minute conversation. 

i'll stick with it though...i've heard/read great things about the season finale.  

I was very happy with the season as whole - mostly bc I heard the same as you, about the finale, but I ended up enjoying the penultimate episode(s) leading up to it even more than the final. 

13 minutes ago, JBENT87 said:

yeah stay with it. Theres a whole ongoing shitck around here about how "x reminds me of Breaking Bad," and its basically bc of how every person who starts watching Ozark has to mention that. Not even bc of how its their fault for such a boring opinion, but bc of how cookie cutterish it really was as a BrBa spinoff early on. Stay with it. You will really come to respect Jason Bateman as a talent not just on screen but behind the camera as well (he essentially directed 1/3 of the total episodes).

edit: damn shame the old boards are gone and with it all of that discussion on this show from the prior seasons.  

I've made it this far because the trio of Bateman, Linney and the Ruth chic are putting in stellar performances.  My wife likes it and on the whole it's not a bad show, so I will keep watching for now.

I wasn't watching Ozark yet, and typically when an Awards Show has a winner in something I don't know/watch (moreso with an actor I don't know) I just fast-forward past the acceptance speech. As a result, saw this for the first time a few days ago. Ruth with regular voice and non-curly hair was quite interesting (win for Season 2)

This show f'ing sucks.  Into season 2 now and it just gets worse at every forced twist.  There is no joy in the dialogue, it's just a breakneck race to get from A to Z every episode.  Hardly any humor by joke or circumstance.  They just hope you won't notice how trite and rehashed every twist is if they throw enough of it against the wall every episode.  Supporting characters are only there to set up Marty and Wendy, everything they do is just utter batshite stupid.  The best character in the show, Ruth Langmore, is being criminally misused, basically making no sense since her call to action moment.  Now she wallows in a redemption arc that is cringeworthy.

But you know what is most disappointing of all?  Visually.  Breaking Bad made a pastiche out of the ugly barren southwestern browns and the searing cloudless skies, this show takes one of the most interesting geographical areas of the US; Mizzou and the titular Ozarks, only to give us never ending, uninspired,  blue filtered blah.  Oh and fire the DJ.

I'm stuck with it cuz wifey likes it so I will be back with more bishing.

5 hours ago, HazletonEagle said:

Wrong

Second

10 hours ago, dawkins4prez said:

This show f'ing sucks.  Into season 2 now and it just gets worse at every forced twist.  There is no joy in the dialogue, it's just a breakneck race to get from A to Z every episode.  Hardly any humor by joke or circumstance.  They just hope you won't notice how trite and rehashed every twist is if they throw enough of it against the wall every episode.  Supporting characters are only there to set up Marty and Wendy, everything they do is just utter batshite stupid.  The best character in the show, Ruth Langmore, is being criminally misused, basically making no sense since her call to action moment.  Now she wallows in a redemption arc that is cringeworthy.

But you know what is most disappointing of all?  Visually.  Breaking Bad made a pastiche out of the ugly barren southwestern browns and the searing cloudless skies, this show takes one of the most interesting geographical areas of the US; Mizzou and the titular Ozarks, only to give us never ending, uninspired,  blue filtered blah.  Oh and fire the DJ.

disagree, but respect the venom. I hear you to an extent with the visuals and filters. I made a post leading up to Season 3 about how I wasn't all that excited to get back into the depressing gray visuals and filters of the Missouri woods. But Season 3 came, I dove back in and I barely noticed it, because I was invested in the story and have been for the whole time. You gotta suspend belief a little bit with this show and it sounds like you're nowhere near doing that so I guess it isn't for you. 

19 minutes ago, JBENT87 said:

disagree, but respect the venom. I hear you to an extent with the visuals and filters. I made a post leading up to Season 3 about how I wasn't all that excited to get back into the depressing gray visuals and filters of the Missouri woods. But Season 3 came, I dove back in and I barely noticed it, because I was invested in the story and have been for the whole time. You gotta suspend belief a little bit with this show and it sounds like you're nowhere near doing that so I guess it isn't for you. 

Realism does not rank very high on my list of needs.  Originality and sharp dialogue do and this show has very little of it.  As if this show wasn't bad enough as a poor man's Breaking Bad, in season 2 it also wants to be a poor man's House of Cards.

13 minutes ago, dawkins4prez said:

Realism does not rank very high on my list of needs.  Originality and sharp dialogue do and this show has very little of it.  As if this show wasn't bad enough as a poor man's Breaking Bad, in season 2 it also wants to be a poor man's House of Cards.

I actually sort of agree with you for once on a show review. 

All in all, it was ok, definitely overrated. Visually its meh, the writing is ok. It's not terrible but I was over it a few episodes into season 3.

I mean the show has won awards for Directing, which relies on everything from framing the shots, to the cinematography (those "colors" being discussed), etc. Saw this video as suggested youtube the other week and really enjoyed its break down.

21 minutes ago, Agent23 said:

I mean the show has won awards for Directing, which relies on everything from framing the shots, to the cinematography (those "colors" being discussed), etc. Saw this video as suggested youtube the other week and really enjoyed its break down.

Holy hells, I hadn't even gotten to the ho-hum framing on the shots.  Nothing brilliant happens in the shots, like ever.  And this is something you find in any run of the mill Netflix show by now.  I just looked at that video to see wtf they are talking about, all of that is pretty standard for today's TV.  And the blue filters?  That's so 8 years ago (not to mention a look that works much better for a techie/sci-fi series than one based in the Ozarks.)

12 hours ago, dawkins4prez said:

Not a surprising take since this show is fantastic.  Maybe you should focus your reviews on terrible "horror" movies about French techno?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Awesome ending to S3. Hopefully we don’t have to wait two years for S4

• Like 1

12 hours ago, c_u_in_tampa said:

Awesome ending to S3. Hopefully we don’t have to wait two years for S4

Maybe that can have that crazy Darlene bish catch corona

3 hours ago, Agent23 said:

I'd prefer Carol Baskin did...

👀

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, Agent23 said:

Wendy is just as crazy

On 4/23/2020 at 12:37 AM, Mike030270 said:

So was I the only one that liked season 1 and 2 more than 3?

Nah, season 1 and 2 were a lot better. Having said that, season 3 ends really well. 

On 5/8/2020 at 12:36 PM, dawkins4prez said:

It's a metaphor about trains  and capitalism 

7 minutes ago, Mat said:

It's a metaphor about trains  and capitalism 

So did you like Oscar Winning Parasite?  Or did you get hung up on the realism issues of people hiding in a basement for decades?  Asking for a friend.

50 minutes ago, dawkins4prez said:

So did you like Oscar Winning Parasite?  Or did you get hung up on the realism issues of people hiding in a basement for decades?  Asking for a friend.

I thought Parasite was average and there were at least 3 movies that were nominated that I saw that were better and a couple that didn't even get nominations.

The first two seasons of Ozark are two of the best of any show in recent memory. Other than season 1, episode 8 the first season hits just about every benchmark.