EMB Blog: 2024 Offseason

Connecticut Eagle

3 minutes ago, D-Shiznit said:

Howie Szn in full swing.

Somebody gave the Falcons an "A" :roll:

• Haha 3

36 minutes ago, just relax said:

If the Becton signing was in the works before or during the draft it explains a lot about the Eagles strategy. All my ****ing and moaning about lack of depth at tackle was just noise and stupidity.

Doubt that

Even if they knew he was coming, he is just a flier

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, D-Shiznit said:

Howie Szn in full swing.

Is there a typo or did one goofball actually give the Falcons an A?

• Haha 3

7 minutes ago, D-Shiznit said:

The hustle never ends.

Are we actually expected to get any comp picks next year?

33 minutes ago, RLC said:

I still think Howie wanted an OT in the draft. I would have loved Fautanu or Rosengarten. But Howie didn't have to reach because he knew he could get Becton. It worked out!

This is a pretty clear signal that he had eyes on a tackle high in the draft. After the draft he said the board didn’t break how he expected at the OL. How he phrased it and how the question was asked left it ambiguous about whether it was iOL or OT, but signing Becton tells us all we need to know. 

Rabadi also said we tried to trade ahead of Pittsburgh for Fuatanu. Or however it’s spelled. 

• Like 1

You guys are all spoilsports. Let me enjoy this for a minute.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

1 minute ago, HazletonEagle said:

Are we actually expected to get any comp picks next year?

No. 

18 minutes ago, D-Shiznit said:

Howie Szn in full swing.

Sports illustrated giving the Falcons an A is wild

8 minutes ago, ManuManu said:

Goodness. 

The fact that the bum went to Houston and actually played pretty well tells you something was horribly rotten in that building last season. Whether it was the coaching, whether it was just something mystical or unexplainable, or anything in between. Watch Nicholas Morrow play well for the Bills next season too.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Sack that QB said:

The fact that the bum went to Houston and actually played pretty well tells you something was horribly rotten in that building last season. Whether it was the coaching, whether it was just something mystical or unexplainable, or anything in between. Watch Nicholas Morrow play well for the Bills next season too.

Yup, Wasnt too surprised when Meco in Houston got more out of Barnett than the slop the eagles had last year at defensive coaches.

I think it’s pretty clear the Eagles went into the draft expecting to address either the right side of their OL or their secondary (or both).  The board allowed them to address secondary twice.  And Becton’s availability gave them the flexibility to adapt to that board.

Becton brings back memories of the Chance Warmack signing.   Intensely highly regarded prospect who flamed out in a bad way with their original team, weight and conditioning issues…very exciting on paper to get them at second chance Stoutland U.  

But teams don’t let go of first round OL if they feel there is a chance of salvaging them either.

52 minutes ago, Iggles_Phan said:

Unless they are used to playing and want to get starting OT money... and they are stuck behind Johnson/Mailata.   I think this is a one year stopover, either way.  If he's healthy, he's going to want to go and be a starter.  If not, he's no good to us anyway.

If you’ve been hurt half your career, got cut from the freaking Jets, had no one interested in you during pre draft free agency, and then you come to the eagles, stay healthy, and then organization comes to you and says, "hey, Lane Johnson is going to retire soon — we’ll make you a top paid backup and you’ll be the starter in a stable organization that pays more than any other team with a great line coach and a great group of guys around you with the chance to win titles,” I’m not sure it’s in your best interest to leave.

11 minutes ago, DEagle7 said:

Sports illustrated giving the Falcons an A is wild

C- would have been the highest possible grade they could have gotten after that asinine first round pick.  They spent their next 3 picks on DL and never took a CB or S despite having glaring needs there.  They took a RB despite having Bijan Robinson and Tyler Allgeier already on the roster.

Has to be a preliminary D- grade.  

2 minutes ago, Alphagrand said:

C- would have been the highest possible grade they could have gotten after that asinine first round pick.  They spent their next 3 picks on DL and never took a CB or S despite having glaring needs there.  They took a RB despite having Bijan Robinson and Tyler Allgeier already on the roster.

Has to be a preliminary D- grade.  

I wonder if its taking it a bit too far for their owner to hire a co-GM right now as a succession plan.

To be fair though, despite the video with no sound where people assumed the GM was trying to explain the pick.  it sounds like it was actually the owner's idea.

25 minutes ago, just relax said:

I’m with you!

Dude has immense talent.

What is NOT to be excited about?

Put another way, on pure talent he would be a top 3 OL in this draft. Yes, on a 1 year deal with injury issues, but we just added serious talent to the team.

23 minutes ago, just relax said:

Hey JR, I don’t post much but I’d just like to say, I really enjoy reading your breakdowns of the OL. That being said, I think everyone is overlooking a current RT on our roster that is only 24 years old. I’m a huge Kentucky Wildcat fan and have followed the team for a long time. Darian Kinnard was an excellent player for us. He was 2X first team SEC, consensus first team all American in 2021, Jacobs blocking award winner 2021, and 1 of 3 power 5 tackles that graded an 85 or higher in run and pass blocking. His junior year everyone was saying he would get drafted in the 1st or 2nd round. He came back his senior year and still performed at a high level but his draft stock dropped a little and he was taken in the 5th round. Haven’t followed his pro career much. Care to give some insight on him and see what you think? The guy is still young and maybe Stoutland can unlock his potential, cause the guy can definitely play.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, TEW said:

I’m with you!

Dude has immense talent.

Put another way, on pure talent he would be a top 3 OL in this draft. Yes, on a 1 year deal with injury issues, but we just added serious talent to the team.

Or a washout bust

4 minutes ago, HazletonEagle said:

I wonder if its taking it a bit too far for their owner to hire a co-GM right now as a succession plan.

To be fair though, despite the video with no sound where people assumed the GM was trying to explain the pick.  it sounds like it was actually the owner's idea.

Yeah, that video never appeared to me to be Blank asking Fontenot what the hell he was thinking; it looked to me like they were discussing something else.  I think Blank is just putting in time now — he’s 81 years old and ATL is nowhere close to a contender.  He, Jerry Jones, and Robert Kraft will likely all be gone in the next 5 years or less.

I’m pretty surprised the Falcons signed Cousins in the first place.  I heard an interview with Blank where he was very much in tune with how much of the salary cap a QB can eat up, and the low success rate of teams after paying out those mega deals.

Their choice was sign Cousins OR draft a first round QB; doing both should never have been in the conversation.  They were sitting at #8 overall — they should have tried very hard to trade into the top 3 long before the draft.  If their offer failed, then sign Cousins in free agency.

As it was, I’m pretty sure they drafted the 6th best QB in this class while splitting their locker room before Cousins has even reported to camp 

1 hour ago, just relax said:

If he's healthy and his weight isn't too great, that would be fantastic! Just fantastic! For a guy that big, he's very nimble. Lordie😍!

Wow!   Stoutland takes a broken one and makes him great, right?  Gets him on track, he could be a Lane future guy.   Great move.  That huge ceiling,  huge and high ras, fast.  Him for how much vs Mims?

3 hours ago, HazletonEagle said:

I literally can not wait to see him in Eagles green. It’s going to be a lonnnng summer. 

2 hours ago, RLC said:

I'm going to double down on my "play Steen at guard" take. He's athletic enough. He's physical enough. He has an entire year in the Stoutland system.

If he fails he fails. But you have to let him play and figure it out. 

Agreed. There will be a Steen vs Hennessy "camp battle” but I expect to see Steen starting week 1…with a short leash for him with Hennessy waiting in the wings. 

48 minutes ago, brkmsn said:

Somebody gave the Falcons an "A" :roll:

It was Penix’s mom. 

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, TEW said:

I’m with you!

Dude has immense talent.

If he's a backup,  he should be healthy.   Not banged up over the course of a season playing.

28 minutes ago, TEW said:

If you’ve been hurt half your career, got cut from the freaking Jets, had no one interested in you during pre draft free agency, and then you come to the eagles, stay healthy, and then organization comes to you and says, "hey, Lane Johnson is going to retire soon — we’ll make you a top paid backup and you’ll be the starter in a stable organization that pays more than any other team with a great line coach and a great group of guys around you with the chance to win titles,” I’m not sure it’s in your best interest to leave.

Some aren't interested in delayed gratification either.

57 minutes ago, ToastJenkins said:

Doubt that

Even if they knew he was coming, he is just a flier

Yeah, it’s the plan B after the board fell the way it did.

They probably never thought they’d be able to grab both Quinyon and Dejean. The price of that was probably not being able to spend a high pick on an OL.