EMB Blog: 2024 Offseason

Connecticut Eagle

Setting the Sirianni debate aside, task list for 2024...

• New Coordinators
  • Adding talent to the back 7
  • Sorting out the Post-Kelce OL
  • Extending Smith and Dickerson (and Williams?)
  • More talent for the back 7
  • The running back room
  • Cox and Graham

Less than eight months to figure it all out.

Yay new season… I get 6 months before I have to give a $hit again.

Honestly if they ran it back I wouldn’t be surprised. They’ve shown the ability to be stubborn all the way up the chain. If that happens I’m out next year.

I think it's important that the Eagles make their coaching decisions ASAP. They can't sit on their hands. Far too many great candidates out there to waste another year with Sirianni. You have to wonder how fast they will be to pull the cord on BJ. If his interview with the Panthers is legit, they aren't going to fire him as they would lose out on 2 3rd round picks. However, if thew know it's truly a Rooney Rule interview he's gone today.

Just now, bpac55 said:

I think it's important that the Eagles make their coaching decisions ASAP. They can't sit on their hands. Far too many great candidates out there to waste another year with Sirianni. You have to wonder how fast they will be to pull the cord on BJ. If his interview with the Panthers is legit, they aren't going to fire him as they would lose out on 2 3rd round picks. However, if thew know it's truly a Rooney Rule interview he's gone today.

Why would they lose picks?

It’s probably a bit early but based on who’s likely to leave do we know how many extra picks they might get?

Just now, Iggles_Phan said:

Gonna be a LONG offseason.

Let’s all just close our eyes and take a long nap. When we awake they’ll be Super Bowl champs again 😂😂😂😂

• Like 1

Yup, the replacement has to be identified first if the Eagles are going with the HC change. 

It doesn't seem Siri has lost the faith of the locker room with Reddick publicly defending him, and I feel I've heard other comments from players that indicated there is still support for him. My thoughts are the issues with the defense are mainly on Howie. You could have brought Jim Johnson back to lead this defense and they would still lose like this. Relying on Dean and Blankenship didn't work out for the back 7. Dean had 2 IR stints, and Blankenship was constantly injured. Did they ever have the same back 7 grouping 2 weeks in a row? There were too many injuries to overcome. Defense was just horribly managed with the changing of coordinators in the middle of the season and the roster construction was equally bad. It's like Howie was trying to see what is the lowest amount of talent you can have in the back 7 and still be average.

Now the offense, even though statistically top 10, it was just not great this year. The team almost never got into a rhythm, felt like we barely ever saw them get in the hurry up outside of 2 min offense. This is supposedly Siri's offense, why does it look so much different than last year? How much say does Brian Johnson have in the weekly planning? How much of it is Hurts that is limiting the offense that is called?

My thought is that if the FO wants to stay with Siris offense, which I think they will, he needs to bring in a OC that has previous HC experience and has called plays before. But what the hell is the point of Siri if you need to bring in someone else to run the offense and defense.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, xxeaglesfanxx said:

Why would they lose picks?

For the Eagles to receive comp picks for a minority coach getting hired, he has to be on their active coaching staff. If they fire Brian Johnson, he's just an available coach.

1 minute ago, xxeaglesfanxx said:

It’s probably a bit early but based on who’s likely to leave do we know how many extra picks they might get?

The 2024 comp picks are based on last season's FA activity.  Here is some good info.

https://www.phillyvoice.com/eagles-2024-compensatory-draft-pick-tracker/

3 minutes ago, bpac55 said:

I suspect it's at least a week before we hear anything at all. They've got to have their post season debriefing with Nick and his staff first.

1 minute ago, bpac55 said:

For the Eagles to receive comp picks for a minority coach getting hired, he has to be on their active coaching staff. If they fire Brian Johnson, he's just an available coach.

Oh if they hired him while he’s still employed they’d get picks. It’s not happening. No way anyone watched that game last night and thought "that’s my head coach”. Maybe water boy but not head coach.

2 minutes ago, Connecticut Eagle said:

The 2024 comp picks are based on last season's FA activity.  Here is some good info.

https://www.phillyvoice.com/eagles-2024-compensatory-draft-pick-tracker/

Well that’s something hopefully. Sad thing is all the guys they signed from that list… gone. None of them will be here next year.

Real question is who wants to come to this train wreck after watching them these past 7 weeks?

They are going to end up with some ST coach from Arizona or Carolina as their head coach.

1 minute ago, wussbasket said:

It doesn't seem Siri has lost the faith of the locker room with Reddick publicly defending him, and I feel I've heard other comments from players that indicated there is still support for him. My thoughts are the issues with the defense are mainly on Howie. You could have brought Jim Johnson back to lead this defense and they would still lose like this. Relying on Dean and Blankenship didn't work out for the back 7. Dean had 2 IR stints, and Blankenship was constantly injured. Did they ever have the same back 7 grouping 2 weeks in a row? There were too many injuries to overcome. Defense was just horribly managed with the changing of coordinators in the middle of the season and the roster construction was equally bad. It's like Howie was trying to see what is the lowest amount of talent you can have in the back 7 and still be average.

Now the offense, even though statistically top 10, it was just not great this year. The team almost never got into a rhythm, felt like we barely ever saw them get in the hurry up outside of 2 min offense. This is supposedly Siri's offense, why does it look so much different than last year? How much say does Brian Johnson have in the weekly planning? How much of it is Hurts that is limiting the offense that is called?

My thought is that if the FO wants to stay with Siris offense, which I think they will, he needs to bring in a OC that has previous HC experience and has called plays before. But what the hell is the point of Siri if you need to bring in someone else to run the offense and defense.

I can point to Harbaugh and Tomlin as successful coaches that don't run either side of the team. 

Both will probably go to Canton, with each having a SB championship.  Yet, they only have three SB appearances in 30+ years of coaching combined.  They have suffered through suspect OCs and mediocre seasons.

They stick around because players like playing for them

• Like 1

I mean it's hard to comprehend how a team which was 10-1 with the best record in the NFL literally became the worst team in the NFL. For context last week the bucs scored 9 points against the panthers. Heads have to roll. We need to literally get rid of everyone bar Stout and a few players. This was beyond embarrassing. 

• Like 2