Official Coaching Changes: DC Fangio; OC Kellen Moore, Clint Hurtt DL Coach

time2rock

I’m sure Howie will be all over Vic Fangio now that he’s available. 

I’d rather have Jim Johnson disciple, Ron Rivera. 

• Like 3

Just now, time2rock said:

IMG_0563.jpeg

NOoooooooooooooo

F nooooooooooooo

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Road to Victory said:

I’m sure Howie will be all over Vic Fangio now that he’s available. 

I’d rather have Jim Johnson disciple, Ron Rivera. 

Shefter is already saying is will be our top target and it is "expected" that a deal will get done in the next couple of days.

• Sad 1

Just now, opa-opa said:

NOoooooooooooooo

F nooooooooooooo

He'll probably get hired because he has history with the team serving as a consultant last season (and then they tried to hire him when Gannon left but he already accepted the Miami job).  I would much rather someone like Leslie Frazier.  

• Like 2

Fangio or anybody else is going to have a tall task taking a defense that has an overrated defensive line, no linebackers, 2 aging corners, and a revolving door of safeties.

Howie needs to stop with the band-aid LB approach.....

• Like 1

But honestly I want it to be official before speculating mo……GO BIRDS

• Like 1

Why can’t I watch the press conference on the Eagles site?  It’s asking for a log in.  I guess it didn’t go well?  😂 

37 minutes ago, time2rock said:

IMG_0563.jpeg

God I hope not. If he wants to be closer to his family fing retire. 

• Like 4

Just now, DBW said:

Why can’t I watch the press conference on the Eagles site?  It’s asking for a log in.  I guess it didn’t go well?  😂 

Are they trying to get us to sign back up? Do they have a comment section? 

39 minutes ago, time2rock said:

Shefter is already saying is will be our top target and it is "expected" that a deal will get done in the next couple of days.

Fangio did wonders with his consulting for the SB…

That being said, I’m sick of these soft coverage defenses. 

• Like 3

I don't hate the Fangio hiring. The defense is built around his philosophy. If we went with a Blitz heavy scheme it kind of negates all the investments we made in the line. We need a good defensive staff to get the most out of the young guys we have.

I am much more concerned with the offense. The defense simply needs more talent at LB and in the secondary. The offensive scheme is fundamentally broken. If they just bring in an OC to run the same playbook, it doesn't matter who it is, we will be lucky to win more than 3 games. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, T-1000 said:

LMAO, you literally just proved my point for me. Thank you.

You had a point? What was it? Howie did a great job and everything is fine was your point? Personal opinion if you ask me, and my opinion at present is quite different. So let’s not argue about points. I think team F up on many levels last year…and there is nothing anyone can say that will change my opinion including yourself.

1 hour ago, Gannan said:

I don't hate the Fangio hiring. The defense is built around his philosophy. If we went with a Blitz heavy scheme it kind of negates all the investments we made in the line. We need a good defensive staff to get the most out of the young guys we have.

I am much more concerned with the offense. The defense simply needs more talent at LB and in the secondary. The offensive scheme is fundamentally broken. If they just bring in an OC to run the same playbook, it doesn't matter who it is, we will be lucky to win more than 3 games. 

Agreed on Fangio and your general comments about the defense. 

In regard to OC, Sirianni did say they were looking for someone with fresh ideas to implement because the offense (funny he didn't refer to it as "his offense" this time) "got stale toward the end" (more like it was all season ...).  He added the new OC would run the offense and call the plays but they would stupid to not include some of the stuff they've been doing that has worked well for them (side note: not the WR bubble screens!  :lol:).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, time2rock said:

IMG_0563.jpeg

No, not at all. At least this will accelerate siriannis firing next year.

• Like 1

One of the comments Howie made today about the roster was that he felt like he could build the offense more quickly and would have rather gone into the season with a very good offense (what he didn't include was "and a crappy defense") instead of 2 mediocre units.  So maybe that indicates we will see more more of a focus on the defense this offseason (draft, free agency).  They do have some young CBs that, while they had their ups and downs, did show some flashes (Ringo, Ricks) ... maybe one of them turns into a solid starter.  Plus they have Rodgers (who Indy cut due to gambling charges) ... he was pretty darn good there (whether he can be here is another question).  If Brown can make a huge leap forward in year 2 they might be OK with he and Blank holding down S (Blank just needs to be used properly).  It's mostly LB where they need help the most (and obviously another S to push Blank and Brown wouldn't hurt ... need depth there anyway).  So if Fangio is hired, maybe he'll have more success if Howie gives him players to work with.  We shall see.  

• Like 1

I will say this about Fangio, he has run some very different defenses over the years.  Yes, he is known for this current iteration that he innovated to beat the Shanahan style offenses and the aggressive downfield stuff.  The key thing for me is he is a proven defensive scheme innovator.  He is very good at building defenses with good secondaries that can disguise coverage.  His defenses also tend to play physical football and tackle well.

Howie will need to get him better players to improve the defense.  I would like Fangio over Ron Rivera frankly.  Fangio versus someone young?  Young will get poached quickly if they are good.  Young from college has huge risk they can't adapt to NFL.  We have seen young as a "protege" from someone like Fangio / Belichek, mostly bust with very little boom.

Fangio instantly has player respect there is no "proving" or confidence issues.

• Like 5

18 hours ago, kiwieagle said:

So that would be moving to even more of spread offence, and forcing Hurts to make quick decisions?

He does use a lot of shallow crosses and middle of the field

Kingsbury is garden variety Air Raid offensively.  He tracks back to the Hal Mumme offense.  Oklahoma ran a version of this offense when Hurts was there.  That's likely the interest.  Lots of short throws at LOS and deep sideline passes.  Im not sold on it as an NFL offense for sustained success.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

His offense was very college style heavy if I remember correctly? Not sure how that would work in the NFL? I know the NFL adopts a lot of what college does but you need to be more nuanced and have a smarter scheme than that.

He runs an Air Raid offense.  Lots of info on line.  Its the Hal Mumme offense.  I don't believe you win long term with it, although we do have 2 stud WRs to make it go.

3 hours ago, GroundAttack said:

IMG_1824.png

Brandon Staley as LB coach

Renaldo Hill as DB coach (or Sean Desai is back :ph34r:

4 hours ago, time2rock said:

IMG_0563.jpeg

He better change his scheme. Last year in Miami I think Fangio scheme was 19th rated?. Most of his disciples have performed worse, because other teams have figured out the scheme. So If Fungio will be out new DC...with our LBs and safeties.. Where in Miami they dedicated a ton of Money to defense...It will be bad..if the scheme is the same.

Dallas fans are saying Fangio is Daks daddy when he goes against him. Have no idea if thats true. 

5 minutes ago, Uscg-green said:

Dallas fans are saying Fangio is Daks daddy when he goes against him. Have no idea if thats true. 

This year:  20/32, 253 yards, 2 TD, 0 INT, passer rating 107.9, Dallas lost the game.

2021 Fangio HC of Broncos: 19/39, 232 yards, 2 TD, 1 INT, passer rating 73.9, Dallas lost the game.

2019: Fangio DC of Bears: 19/24, 248 yards, 1 TD, 0 INT, passer rating 123.6, Dallas lost the game.

• Like 2