Disney +

The_Omega

13 hours ago, Agent23 said:

^ yah this was big discussion in one of the FB groups that floods my timeline over the past 2-3 days. 

while I won’t buy because I don’t have kids and am in no rush to watch (tho I look forward to checking it out), I find it a reasonable price for a family film that would require probably $40+ for tickets avg at American cinemas, plus getting kids into the car and there (then out and calmed down when back home), impulse to buy food/drinks at concessions, making sure kids are wearing masks and not touching stuff and avoiding all the other concerns of being in public. 

hell, $30 is probably the price of tickets for 2 parents and 1 kid at the theater, and the convenience factor of avoiding all the hassle is probably worth $30 alone. 

That is my thinking when renting a movie on demand that we couldn’t see in theaters due to Covid.  I think there were a few movies we rented for the kids.  Spending the $15-$20 for us all to watch was much cheaper than going to the theater.  We setup a screen on the shed outback and hooked a projector to the computer.  I think total cost of the setup was like $75.  So if we watch two movies back there, it’s about the same price as going to the movies.  I don’t think I’d spend $30 for Mulan though.  It’s not one of the big Disney movies.  $15-$20 is probably the sweet spot for a new release.

Mulan was one of my favorites of the animated films. 

• Like 2

On 8/7/2020 at 6:25 PM, NOTW said:

The live action Mulan will premiere on Disney+ next month for a $30 price of "premium access."

https://variety.com/2020/tv/news/disney-plus-60-5-million-paid-subscribers-1234725409/

I recently found out they removed the captain because of the metoo movement. Don't know how they have the movie without him since he's a pivotal character

I have no kids, and I own almost every Pixar and most Disney movies ever made, AND I don't care what anyone thinks about it.  How about that?  If anyone needs evidence, I am happy to provide.  

10 hours ago, hputenis said:

I have no kids, and I own almost every Pixar and most Disney movies ever made, AND I don't care what anyone thinks about it.  How about that?  If anyone needs evidence, I am happy to provide.  

gay GIF

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

16 hours ago, hputenis said:

I know several adults with no kids who love these movies.  Many adults are obsessed with Disney, go to the parks, have princess themed weddings, etc.   My brother in law and his wife love Pixar and Disney, they live in Socal and have passes to the parks.  When we visit with my son they love taking him to the park and watching the movies with him.  They buy him all the toys and stuff too.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, hputenis said:

They've made some great movies

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Pixar_films

I think I've seen all but 5 of these

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Mike030270 said:

They've made some great movies

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Pixar_films

I think I've seen all but 5 of these

This is more for everyone, but Onward might be the best animated/Pixar film I've ever seen.  If that movie doesn't give you glossy eyes, then you have no soul!  

8 minutes ago, hputenis said:

This is more for everyone, but Onward might be the best animated/Pixar film I've ever seen.  If that movie doesn't give you glossy eyes, then you have no soul!  

I'd say Up would be one of the top ones for breaking out the waterworks. Onward was a great father/son movie too

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mike030270 said:

I'd say Up would be one of the top ones for breaking out the waterworks. Onward was a great father/son movie too

I love Up.  It's tough to go wrong honestly.  Almost everyone of their movies is based on a brilliant idea, and they relate it perfectly to both children and adults.  More adults I'd say.  

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Mike030270 said:

I'd say Up would be one of the top ones for breaking out the waterworks. 

The 1st 10 minutes anyway. Right up there with the last 10 of Toy Story 4.

4 hours ago, hputenis said:

Haven't watched yet, read about what happens to the dad. Can't watch Lion King with my son either, he's very sensitive about parents dying which is pretty much every Disney movie always killing off a parent. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, NOTW said:

Haven't watched yet, read about what happens to the dad. Can't watch Lion King with my son either, he's very sensitive about parents dying which is pretty much every Disney movie always killing off a parent. 

I don't want to spoil it for you but you should be good with that movie IIRC

Spoiler

Doesn't the movie start off with the dad already dead?

From that list above I think there's only death in Ratatouille and Up. Can't remember if there was in Brave and don't know about the 5 movies I haven't seen

7 hours ago, NOTW said:

I know several adults with no kids who love these movies.  Many adults are obsessed with Disney, go to the parks, have princess themed weddings, etc.   My brother in law and his wife love Pixar and Disney, they live in Socal and have passes to the parks.  When we visit with my son they love taking him to the park and watching the movies with him.  They buy him all the toys and stuff too.

Can confirm. I have a Disney annual pass and have no kids. Most of the time when I go the amount of childless people walking around rivals the number of families walking around. 

I went to Animal Kingdom today and it was the same.  Plus the park was dead. Flight of Passage had a fifteen minute wait. They didn’t even run any trams in the parking lot. 

On 8/9/2020 at 12:49 PM, Mike030270 said:

I recently found out they removed the captain because of the metoo movement. Don't know how they have the movie without him since he's a pivotal character

Apparently this is not a remake of the animated version. It's a retelling of what I think is an actual Chinese story (Idk if it's based in reality or just a sort of hero's tale) and Shang was not in the original story. Neither was mushu 

9 hours ago, Bill said:

Can confirm. I have a Disney annual pass and have no kids. Most of the time when I go the amount of childless people walking around rivals the number of families walking around. 

I went to Animal Kingdom today and it was the same.  Plus the park was dead. Flight of Passage had a fifteen minute wait. They didn’t even run any trams in the parking lot. 

When I was in college near Orlando I got to go to a lot of the parks, usually free.  A couple people at my church worked for their corporate office, plus working in restaurants serving the tourists they'd give us their passes if they were leaving and still had a day or 2 left.  We'd usually go off season so there were no lines.  One time my aunt and cousin wanted to visit to go to the parks...in June.  I said don't do it, lines are crazy long and it's so hot.  But she didn't want to take her out of school in the fall.  We waited in such long lines and got on 4 rides.  People were on top of each other herded like cattle.  I hated that.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Mike030270 said:

Reveal hidden contents

From that list above I think there's only death in Ratatouille and Up. Can't remember if there was in Brave and don't know about the 5 movies I haven't seen

Right off the bat I thought of Nemo's mom dying at the start of Finding Nemo. NOTW is right that this is a theme in Disney/Pixar films.

10 hours ago, Mike030270 said:

Reveal hidden contents

I read a review of Onward:

Spoiler

He does start off dead and the boys find some magic spell to bring him back for a temporary period of time, but it only works halfway so the dad is like just the bottom half or something?  I don't know if he would think that's silly or morbid.  I don't know, we'll try it.

He's selective about stuff, he can watch Pokemon, Power Rangers, How to Train Your Dragon and anything with cartoonish violence.  I was more referencing Disney movies, most Pixar are great and don't bother him.  It's not just parents dying sometimes it's a spouse or a friend, sometimes just being separated from parents.  The ones that have material that bothers him although he got through it:

• Finding Dory because she couldn't find her parents he was sad.
  • Up: main character's wife dies and has a miscarriage.  It was waaaay too adult in the beginning for him to understand, but he liked the rest.  
  • Inside Out - too mature for him to understand at the time (that was 5 years ago though haven't tried again).  The one silly character I thought he'd get into she loses and is a sad part, he falls into a dark abyss and my son was crying.  
  • The Good Dinosaur - he liked it, but was sad the dino and boy were both separated from their families.
  • Finding Nemo - if you wrote the plot out without knowing it's a cartoon it's like a dramatic thriller.  His mom dies in the beginning, the kid is disabled and gets separated from his dad being kidnapped and held captive.  The dad meets an orphan with mental health issues and almost dies many times on the way to save his son.  :lol:

So it's not violence so much but emotional stuff and a lot of these movies make the main character separated from their families or someone dying to set up the plot.  

9 minutes ago, opengeo said:

Right off the bat I thought of Nemo's mom dying at the start of Finding Nemo. NOTW is right that this is a theme in Disney/Pixar films.

I guess it's been awhile because I thought the mother wasn't mentioned

5 minutes ago, NOTW said:

I read a review of Onward:

Hide contents

He does start off dead and the boys find some magic spell to bring him back for a temporary period of time, but it only works halfway so the dad is like just the bottom half or something?  I don't know if he would think that's silly or morbid.  I don't know, we'll try it.

He's selective about stuff, he can watch Pokemon, Power Rangers, How to Train Your Dragon and anything with cartoonish violence.  I was more referencing Disney movies, most Pixar are great and don't bother him.  It's not just parents dying sometimes it's a spouse or a friend, sometimes just being separated from parents.  The ones that have material that bothers him although he got through it:

• Finding Dory because she couldn't find her parents he was sad.
  • Up: main character's wife dies and has a miscarriage.  It was waaaay too adult in the beginning for him to understand, but he liked the rest.  
  • Inside Out - too mature for him to understand at the time (that was 5 years ago though haven't tried again).  The one silly character I thought he'd get into she loses and is a sad part, he falls into a dark abyss and my son was crying.  
  • The Good Dinosaur - he liked it, but was sad the dino and boy were both separated from their families.
  • Finding Nemo - if you wrote the plot out without knowing it's a cartoon it's like a dramatic thriller.  His mom dies in the beginning, the kid is disabled and gets separated from his dad being kidnapped and held captive.  The dad meets an orphan with mental health issues and almost dies many times on the way to save his son.  :lol:

So it's not violence so much but emotional stuff and a lot of these movies make the main character separated from their families or someone dying to set up the plot.  

I see lol well now I'm not sure if he'd be ok with Onward

Never saw Inside Out or The Good Dinosaur. Never looked at Nemo like that. Damn that's dark lol

I think they do have a tendency to have someone dying or separated but they usually end up overcoming the obstacle I think

6 hours ago, NOTW said:

When I was in college near Orlando I got to go to a lot of the parks, usually free.  A couple people at my church worked for their corporate office, plus working in restaurants serving the tourists they'd give us their passes if they were leaving and still had a day or 2 left.  We'd usually go off season so there were no lines.  One time my aunt and cousin wanted to visit to go to the parks...in June.  I said don't do it, lines are crazy long and it's so hot.  But she didn't want to take her out of school in the fall.  We waited in such long lines and got on 4 rides.  People were on top of each other herded like cattle.  I hated that.

Yeah I have silver passes because whenever it’s blacked out is not a time I want to be there, but tbh now the place looks as barren as Dorney Park in February. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, NOTW said:

Many adults are obsessed with Disney, go to the parks, have princess themed weddings, etc.   

definitely...i know a handful of adults who are waaaay into disney as well.  i believe the technical term for them is "f'n weirdos"!   

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, mr_hunt said:

definitely...i know a handful of adults who are waaaay into disney as well.  i believe the technical term for them is "f'n weirdos"!   

There's a few of them on this board...