Disney +

The_Omega

13 hours ago, Boogyman said:

Just watched/listened to Hamilton for probably the 100th time. 

As a guy who has seen a ton of NY broadway (name a show) when I was a bit younger but didn't get to see Hamilton live...man is it amazing. It holds up well technically to any show I have seen but the diversity in the music and how modern it is blows me away.

gay GIF

• Haha 5

:lol: Yes!  As I sit here listening to movie scores at my desk at work.

I'm just messing around - don't take ish so seriously brah!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mikemack8 said:

:lol: Yes!  As I sit here listening to movie scores at my desk at work.

I'm just messing around - don't take ish so seriously brah!

I know, man. U joke good. Just trollin.

Disney (DIS) took a calculated risk releasing its live-action "Mulan” remake on streaming service Disney+ — which new data suggests is paying off.

According to exclusive figures provided by analytics research firm 7Park Data, nearly 29% of U.S. households that subscribe to Disney+ purchased the $30 "Mulan” film through September 12th — far surpassing other popular (and free) titles on the platform.

During the company’s last earnings report, Disney said that the streaming platform has amassed over 60 million global subscribers. Assuming that U.S. households make up 50% of that total base (Disney has not yet broken out the exact number of U.S-based subscribers), 7Park’s data suggests that roughly 9 million users purchased the "Mulan” film for $30 a pop (29% of our estimated 30 million users.)

Under that scenario, net profits would pile up to $261 million for U.S. markets alone — and that’s on the conservative side.

(Source: 7Park)
View photos

(Source: 7Park)
More

Still, no matter how you slice it, the end result is a whole lot of cash for Disney — which will now maintain 100% of the profits verse a traditional theatrical release where box office revenue is normally split with theater chains.

Furthermore, Sensor Tower, an app download research firm, told Yahoo Finance that downloads of Disney+ spiked 68% from Friday, September 4 through Sunday, September 6, compared to one weekend prior.

Consumer spending in the app also spiked 193%, Sensor found, which can be attributed to customers paying the one-time $30 "Mulan” access fee.

To note, Disney has not yet provided any official numbers when it comes to "Mulan’s” performance, although CFO Christine McCarthy said the company is "very pleased” with what they’ve seen so far.

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA - SEPTEMBER 04: General view of the atmosphere at AMC Mission Valley 20 on September 04, 2020 in San Diego, California.
View photos

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA - SEPTEMBER 04: General view of the atmosphere at AMC Mission Valley 20 on September 04, 2020 in San Diego, California.
More

The film’s perceived success comes at a time when movie theater chains are struggling to attract attendees.

Christopher Nolan’s "Tenet”, which hit U.S. theaters September 3, grossed over $207 million globally — but only about 14% of that came from domestic markets (roughly $29 million) — a disappointing result for a film once hailed as the box office’s saving grace.

Meanwhile, Disney’s international release of "Mulan” at Chinese theaters did little to soften the blow. The film fell flat overseas, amid increased backlash over its historical inaccuracies and stereotyping.

The lack of confidence in the overall theater ecosystem is likely why Disney will reportedly delay the release of Marvel’s "Black Widow.” According to Variety, the superhero flick — which was slated for November 6th — is likely to be pushed back to December or possibly even 2021.

The impending delay comes just days after Warner Bros. announced that "Wonder Woman 1984” will delay its theatrical release from early October to late December.

• Like 1

I would happily pay to watch new releases at home. Would prefer to pay on a movie to movie basis, but would consider a subscription service as well. I wasn’t really going to the theater before COVID, and I’m sure as heckfire not going to go now. I had planned to go see TENET with my son last week, but i thought the better of it. 

• Like 2

On 9/18/2020 at 6:14 AM, opengeo said:

I would happily pay to watch new releases at home. Would prefer to pay on a movie to movie basis, but would consider a subscription service as well. I wasn’t really going to the theater before COVID, and I’m sure as heckfire not going to go now. I had planned to go see TENET with my son last week, but i thought the better of it. 

Frankly, I’d prefer it. No rude people, can pause whenever I want to get food or go to the bathroom, save time on the drive, etc.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, TEW said:

Frankly, I’d prefer it. No rude people, can pause whenever I want to get food or go to the bathroom, save time on the drive, etc.

Me too. And I'll tell you what it is a lot lot cheaper. 

Don't get me wrong I've enjoyed trips to the movies. Going out for food beforehand, going for a drink after to discuss the film. Those were good times for the big films. But once you have kids those times become few and far between. And then they become old enough to come along and then it costs a small fortune. 

I'd rather films go straight to DVD, download or on a streaming platform. Then we can all stay in, get comfy and enjoy the film together. 

• Like 2

I’m a sucker for the theater experience for big movies. But I wouldn’t mind having access to some of the smaller films quicker. 

22 hours ago, TEW said:

Agreed. 

Unless it’s a Nolan, Villanueve, or huge blockbuster franchise, I have no desire to go see a movie in the theaters. 

• 2 weeks later...

Disney+ finally organized the Marvel movies as opposed to just random order. Each MCU phase, chronological timeline, and Marvel Legacy not made by Marvel Studios.

Screenshot_20201010-160733.jpg

• Like 2

Disney+ subscriptions doing well, Mulan did well. New Pixar movie Soul in December will be free for subscribers. 

Saw the interview and CEO said basically they're going to first produce content, then decide where it goes (ABC, Disney channel, movie theater, streaming). They're not going to start with mindset that this is for theaters, this is for TV or streaming they want consumers to help dictate. Makes sense in pandemic with theaters closed and streaming numbers up.

12 hours ago, NOTW said:

Disney+ subscriptions doing well, Mulan did well. New Pixar movie Soul in December will be free for subscribers. 

Saw the interview and CEO said basically they're going to first produce content, then decide where it goes (ABC, Disney channel, movie theater, streaming). They're not going to start with mindset that this is for theaters, this is for TV or streaming they want consumers to help dictate. Makes sense in pandemic with theaters closed and streaming numbers up.

Honestly it’s really smart. They need to invest more in streaming content and bolster it. I’m locked in for 3 years but others will come and go with each new series. This is where the Fox catalogue is really going to help. 

in addition to adding to marvel’s rights, they have access to avatar, planet of the apes, alien, predator, kingsman, Percy jackson, Narnia,  night at the museum, Independence Day, die hard, dr. Doolittle, ice age, maze runner. Not all of these are going to fit on Disney plus.  However, they could do a lot of interesting things. They already have a plan for a Percy jackson series.  I could see an interesting planet of the apes series similar to the mandolorian continuing on the dawn of the planet of the apes movies. Doolittle and museum could be great kids series. Then for the edgier content, leverage that on Hulu. 

9 minutes ago, 20Safety_Hazards said:

Honestly it’s really smart. They need to invest more in streaming content and bolster it. I’m locked in for 3 years but others will come and go with each new series. This is where the Fox catalogue is really going to help. 

in addition to adding to marvel’s rights, they have access to avatar, planet of the apes, alien, predator, kingsman, Percy jackson, Narnia,  night at the museum, Independence Day, die hard, dr. Doolittle, ice age, maze runner. Not all of these are going to fit on Disney plus.  However, they could do a lot of interesting things. They already have a plan for a Percy jackson series.  I could see an interesting planet of the apes series similar to the mandolorian continuing on the dawn of the planet of the apes movies. Doolittle and museum could be great kids series. Then for the edgier content, leverage that on Hulu. 

One thing mentioned in the article is how Black Widow - the next slated Marvel theatrical release - has been pushed back twice.  They made the movie and are waiting on their ROI (return on investment) until it hits theaters.  Maybe they release that on Disney+ and start making money off it.  COVID aside, many people would rather watch in their home theater or big screen TV than spend money at the theater, get a baby sitter, go out to dinner it gets to be a lot of money just to watch a movie so it has to be really worth it.  Or, I could get takeout and tuck the kids into bed then watch the movie at home.  Or a lot of people just don't go to the theater and wait for it to come out on streaming anyway.  Movies used to take a lot longer to hit VHS or DVD.  Now they hit digital download 2-3 months after and DVD/blu-ray shortly after, then streaming.  I have a friend who just buys movies on digital for $20 even if he hasn't seen it because that's how much it would cost him and his wife to go to the theater, but in this case now he owns it if he wants to watch it again.  And only has to wait a couple months until after theater.

considering regal is shutting down so many theaters in the country, the outlets for studios to air their films is dropping dramatically. 

if they are smart, they should look into re-opening drive-ins. i'd do that over going to an indoor theater. 

I’d be surprised if Black Widow gets put on Disney Plus. Especially now that they lost BP2 or at least it’s delayed, Black widow buys them some time to ensure a steady stream of releases. 

1 minute ago, Alpha_TATEr said:

considering regal is shutting down so many theaters in the country, the outlets for studios to air their films is dropping dramatically. 

if they are smart, they should look into re-opening drive-ins. i'd do that over going to an indoor theater. 

So regal is shutting down for operating only. They aren’t closing permanently. They have said they will reopen once there is a slate of new movies. 

16 minutes ago, 20Safety_Hazards said:

So regal is shutting down for operating only. They aren’t closing permanently. They have said they will reopen once there is a slate of new movies. 

yes i know it isn't a permanent closing, they just better hope they have had a good business model in place that allowed them to put aside a big reserve, because their creditors aren't going to wait to be paid. they may not survive this. personally, i don't think they do. 

either way,  the theater companies should think about opening up drive-ins. it would benefit them & the studios both in the short term obviously, but i think in the long term as well. i'd rather go to a drive-in now over a theater. less worries about covid and overall a better experience with less rude people. 

9 minutes ago, Alpha_TATEr said:

yes i know it isn't a permanent closing, they just better hope they have had a good business model in place that allowed them to put aside a big reserve, because their creditors aren't going to wait to be paid. they may not survive this. personally, i don't think they do. 

either way,  the theater companies should think about opening up drive-ins. it would benefit them & the studios both in the short term obviously, but i think in the long term as well. i'd rather go to a drive-in now over a theater. less worries about covid and overall a better experience with less rude people. 

We went to see Hocus Pocus a couple weeks ago. Drive-ins are terrible for a multitude of reasons, especially with kids.

5 minutes ago, we_gotta_believe said:

We went to see Hocus Pocus a couple weeks ago. Drive-ins are terrible for a multitude of reasons, especially with kids.

No. 

Just now, we_gotta_believe said:

Once we're vaccinated, I'll never go to one again.

i'd love to hear the story behind the hocus pocus night.