Fate of Former Eagles

time2rock

It really grinds my gears that Derek Fing Barnett is still in the playoffs. With 0 penalties since he signed with the Texans.

2 minutes ago, Outlaw said:

It really grinds my gears that Derek Fing Barnett is still in the playoffs. With 0 penalties since he signed with the Texans.

Good for him. Former Eagle Nelson is also a Texan and he’s outlasted both of his former teams. Let Barnett go there and do a few things. Let some other team make the mistake of signing him long term. Not our problem. Besides I’m happier for their head coach and former Eagle DeMeco Ryans. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

Good for him. Former Eagle Nelson is also a Texan and he’s outlasted both of his former teams. Let Barnett go there and do a few things. Let some other team make the mistake of signing him long term. Not our problem. Besides I’m happier for their head coach and former Eagle DeMeco Ryans. 

I'm THRILLED for Mufasa. They have my heaviest rooting interest this weekend. And yeah, Nelson...but Barnett was here like a month ago, not two years ago. And he absolutely sucked here. Now he's a productive edge rusher. Coaching, coaching, coaching.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Outlaw said:

I'm THRILLED for Mufasa. They have my heaviest rooting interest this weekend. And yeah, Nelson...but Barnett was here like a month ago, not two years ago. And he absolutely sucked here. Now he's a productive edge rusher. Coaching, coaching, coaching.

Coaching was bad for sure, but that guy never really lived up to the hype regardless of coaching here. Just because a guy performs better someplace else doesn’t mean that happens here. Evan Mathis was kind of a journeyman lineman before he came to the Eagles and here he became an all pro. Some places click better than others. Nelson Agholor was mostly a bum here, but he carved himself a nice little career. Jordan Hicks couldn’t stay healthy here, left and then stayed healthy every year but this last one. These things happen. Don’t worry too much about Barnett. He is what he is. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Outlaw said:

Rasul Douglas has done well since leaving here, playing for the Bills now. We've seen players leave here and perform.

It's almost like it's not exactly the players but...hmm, there has to be some other issue.  What could it be?

• Like 4

4 hours ago, NOTW said:

Rasul Douglas has done well since leaving here, playing for the Bills now. We've seen players leave here and perform.

It's almost like it's not exactly the players but...hmm, there has to be some other issue.  What could it be?

Well ... sure, coaching obviously has to be a factor, but it's still up to the player to respond to the coaching. I think we all agree Stoutland is a great coach, but not every player that has come through here responded well to his coaching. Obviously Dillard didn't work out. Pryor seemed to have slightly more success after he left. 

After coaching there are still other factors that can play a part in a player's success. Scheme is pretty important. Barwin was big playmaker for us the 3-4 defense, but was not considered a fit as a 4-3 DE. Graham was pretty much the opposite. Cox has always been more effective in 4-3 sets. Culture also can bring out the best or worst in players. I know a lot of people might get angry with this, but I believe the fans can have an effect on a player's success. Some players might be motivated positively by negative feedback, but others might just check out. Some people respond better to encouragement and support. I think we often forget that players are people with feelings and emotions and often are raised in some bad situations they have to rise above. Even Dick Vermeil learned he had to recognize the different personalities and treat some players differently. There was a story about how Wilbert Montgomery was extremely sensitive and he had to change how he coached to get through to him. I think today's fans would have labeled Montgomery "mentally soft."

Anyway, I think you have to click a lot of boxes for a player to really pan out for a team. But coaching is definitely one of the most important.

• Like 1

JJ Arcega-Whiteside has signed with.....

the Toronto Argonauts

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Ertz signed with the Lions practice squad. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, time2rock said:

He's been on a bunch of teams now and can't break past the RB coach. So many people wanted him for OC and even HC here. People have to realize he's just not moving up in the league, that's him not the Eagles fault.

• Like 3

On 1/16/2024 at 11:00 AM, Outlaw said:

Different coaches?

On 1/21/2024 at 10:56 AM, VaBeach_Eagle said:

Eagles should interview him…after all he is familiar with people working in the facilities and Just like Siri he had a winning record with the Eagles. LOL.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Traveler Vic said:

Eagles should interview him…after all he is familiar with people working in the facilities and Just like Siri he had a winning record with the Eagles. LOL.

I don't remember the entire situation with Kelly, but if I'm remembering things right, maybe he lasts an additional year if he'd only gone to that Christmas party. Or at least he'd have lasted the entire season lol. 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

I don't remember the entire situation with Kelly, but if I'm remembering things right, maybe he lasts an additional year if he'd only gone to that Christmas party. Or at least he'd have lasted the entire season lol. 

Didn't he try and cancel it? :lol:

It's completely insane that a coach was fired over a Christmas party, but Kelly was a terrible coach that was completely dismantling the team. Right move was made even if it was for a ridiculous reason 

36 minutes ago, Mat said:

Didn't he try and cancel it? :lol:

It's completely insane that a coach was fired over a Christmas party, but Kelly was a terrible coach that was completely dismantling the team. Right move was made even if it was for a ridiculous reason 

I wasn't really excited when he was hired, I thought that his offense was a gimmicky offense and I didn't want that. Then we had the first game of the season and jumped out really fast against the Redskins, but in the second half, they (the Redskins) had pretty well figured out everything he was doing. But hey, we had a good half of football!

10 hours ago, NOTW said:

He's been on a bunch of teams now and can't break past the RB coach. So many people wanted him for OC and even HC here. People have to realize he's just not moving up in the league, that's him not the Eagles fault.

Funny I had the exact same thought when I saw that about how many people here were going a bit overboard in wanting to bump him to OC to retain him and that he still hasn't gotten past RB coach.  Some coaches are meant to be in a certain position and should stay there in order to excel ... he's one of them.    

• Like 2

2 hours ago, time2rock said:

Funny I had the exact same thought when I saw that about how many people here were going a bit overboard in wanting to bump him to OC to retain him and that he still hasn't gotten past RB coach.  Some coaches are meant to be in a certain position and should stay there in order to excel ... he's one of them.    

You never know until you give a guy a chance to do something else. I thought John Harbaugh was destined to be one of those life-long ST coaches and then Reid gave him a chance to coach DBs one season. A year later, he was a head coach. 

22 minutes ago, brkmsn said:

You never know until you give a guy a chance to do something else. I thought John Harbaugh was destined to be one of those life-long ST coaches and then Reid gave him a chance to coach DBs one season. A year later, he was a head coach. 

Duece was given a chance. He was Asst HC. 

12 minutes ago, NOTW said:

Duece was given a chance. He was Asst HC. 

A bs title isn't really giving someone a chance. He should've had an opportunity by now. Maybe he needs to go to college and see if he can get a shot there, because he's bent over in the NFL.

25 minutes ago, MF POON said:

A bs title isn't really giving someone a chance. He should've had an opportunity by now. Maybe he needs to go to college and see if he can get a shot there, because he's bent over in the NFL.

3 different teams gave him that title. Players have made public comments about respecting him as a coach. Teams are always trying to find the next up and coming coordinator or head coach and he's not really been considered. He either needs to network more, get his agent to present him or something. Maybe these coaches aren't seeing the potential. It seems like word gets out about the "bright minds" around the league that other teams are always wanting to snatch up. Everyone here thinks Brian Johnson sucks and should have been fired and he's getting interviews for head coach after 1 year of being OC.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, NOTW said:

3 different teams gave him that title. Players have made public comments about respecting him as a coach. Teams are always trying to find the next up and coming coordinator or head coach and he's not really been considered. He either needs to network more, get his agent to present him or something. Maybe these coaches aren't seeing the potential. It seems like word gets out about the "bright minds" around the league that other teams are always wanting to snatch up. Everyone here thinks Brian Johnson sucks and should have been fired and he's getting interviews for head coach after 1 year of being OC.

You're simply furthering my point about how he's not getting a chance in the NFL. Asst. head coach is a bs title as the responsibilities (or lack thereof) vary greatly.  It's why I said he needs to go to college to add to his resume and land an opportunity to do the job.