Carson Wentz discussion: no new topics about Wentz.

T-1000

I mean the other thing that's becoming increasingly clear since we drafted Carson, is that QBing the North Dakota State Bison's isn't what you might call challenging, Easton Stick's college numbers aren't a million miles away from Wentz and their current guy Trey Lance threw for 67% completion  28 TD's and 0 (zero) Interceptions off 287 attempts last year and ran for another 9 TD's.

• Replies 6.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok wow, this topic was interesting to read.

Let me start by saying I have always been in the camp of keeping Nick after 2018 and trading Carson for a King's Ransom. You could have gotten so many picks and players would have broken a record.

I am not saying Nick is better that Carson, but Nick was the Best QB for our Eagles. Him and Dougie were perfect for each other. Its not always about having that Elite QB and Great head coach to get you the wins, but its about the QB and Coach on the same page. I have never once believe Doug and Carson were good together. Doug looked so good with his RPOs with Nick at the helm 2017 and 2018. If Nick never got to play in 2018 I would have been 100% behind Carson as our QB and calling 2017 a fluke.

That didn't happen though, in 2018 Nick comes in and turns the team around. He understood the coach and Doug trusted Nick. Doug really trusts Nick a lot more than Carson.

Again, Carson is the better QB, but Nick is the better QB for the Philadelphia Eagles.

Edit, I digress though, Nick is gone need to look ahead.

With that though Carson is our QB and going forward at this this year and next year we have to find a way to fix this kid. As others have stated though 5 years and still the same problems. Maybe we need to change up the Offense to cater to his jitters.

Wentz will be the starter through 2025. We aren't trading him. We aren't getting out of his contract. We aren't tanking for Trevor Lawrence.

Yesterday was the worst I have ever seen him play. There were poorly run routes, drops, etc, but he missed guys a ton. Even some of his completions (one to Goedert? that hit the ground comes to mind) were horrendous. He absolutely blew. 

We do have to keep in mind that the off-season was strange. We have new pieces on offense. We had no running game. The offensive line was horrendous and not just the right side. Kelce (understandable, given what was next to him) was poor and Peter's looked bad as well. Seumalo played all right. The play calling was abysmal.

I'm not taking blame away from Wentz, in any capacity, but things are magnified when the rest of the team is also terrible. 

I still have faith in him and the team. Yesterday was a stinker for sure, but I still have confidence moving forward.

7 hours ago, EazyEaglez said:

Where are we going with Wentz? He’s clearly not good enough to win the big one while playing like some cowboy risk taker. They can be 8-8 with a game manager than paying Wentz all this money to fumble games away or get injured at key moments. I say let the season play out. If they end up 9-7 or worse then trade Wentz and Ertz and get what you can for them. Start Hurts next season with some sprinkled in snaps this season. If Hurts winds up being bad then you move on. I see no reason to be strapped down to Wentz if he’s just good. 

Let's see how the season plays out first. 😄

1 minute ago, EazyEaglez said:

I hear ya bud. 

Honestly the way Wentz plays, he'll end up injured sooner than later.  Then we may see Jalen Hurts anyway.

2 minutes ago, 315Eagles said:

Honestly the way Wentz plays, he'll end up injured sooner than later.  Then we may see Jalen Hurts anyway.

Sadly this is true. I don't wish a player is hurt but at this rate. Get Jalen ready.

27 minutes ago, Cochis_Calhoun said:

I mean the other thing that's becoming increasingly clear since we drafted Carson, is that QBing the North Dakota State Bison's isn't what you might call challenging, Easton Stick's college numbers aren't a million miles away from Wentz and their current guy Trey Lance threw for 67% completion  28 TD's and 0 (zero) Interceptions off 287 attempts last year and ran for another 9 TD's.

So what you're really saying is, tank for Lance!  :P

2 minutes ago, Sturm said:

Sadly this is true. I don't wish a player is hurt but at this rate. Get Jalen ready.

Isnt Sudfeld the #2?

45 minutes ago, nipples said:

Even if they come back to the ball, still a good chance they are picked, and best case is an incomplete in a near pick. They were both bad decisions, failing to read where the defender was. The one to Reagor, though a bad decision, had a SMALL chance at completion if he throws it out in front instead of under throwing. 

DeAndre Hopkins made the same catch multiple times yesterday. The difference he turns and comes back to the ball aggressively giving the DB no chance to get there first

Just now, downundermike said:

DeAndre Hopkins made the same catch multiple times yesterday. The difference he turns and comes back to the ball aggressively giving the DB no chance to get there first

So you’re saying Wentz didn’t screw ip by assuming that a couple of rookies are going to make the same type of play that the best WR in the league makes? That’s your argument?

Nope. Wentz Fed up bad on both interceptions. 

1 minute ago, nipples said:

So you’re saying Wentz didn’t screw ip by assuming that a couple of rookies are going to make the same type of play that the best WR in the league makes? That’s your argument?

Nope. Wentz Fed up bad on both interceptions. 

That is football 101, you come back and get the ball so nobody else can

1 minute ago, Swoop said:

Yep. Hurts couldn't beat out Suds, but clowns want to trade Wentz and start Hurts.

It’s politics. Suds has been with the team for a few years. He gets the nod as the #2 to come in if Wentz goes down during a game. All the training camp reports were pretty much saying Hurts looked better than Suds. 

However, I’d be willing to bet that if Wentz has to miss multiple starts, they go to Hurts. 

1 minute ago, downundermike said:

That is football 101, you come back and get the ball so nobody else can

Yeah no crap. And what I am saying is those would have probably been kicked off either way, and if not would have just been incomplete. Dude I get it, I’ve been a big Wentz supporter for years, but he absolutely made terrible decisions/throws on those two plays. It is possible for both the QB and the receiver to screw up.

Not to mention the terrible overthrow that should have been a third pick but was dropped. 

2 minutes ago, nipples said:

It’s politics. Suds has been with the team for a few years. He gets the nod as the #2 to come in if Wentz goes down during a game. All the training camp reports were pretty much saying Hurts looked better than Suds. 

However, I’d be willing to bet that if Wentz has to miss multiple starts, they go to Hurts. 

I agree with this, but at the same time, Suds has hardly taken a professional snap. It's not like it's Foles or even McCown on the bench as the 2 behind Wentz.

Speaking of McCown, get him up here to be the OC. Pederson needs to let someone else take over with the play calling.

9 hours ago, 315Eagles said:

If you read any of my posts in the game day thread I said a few times that Wentz is not elite and wont be.  We all need to realize that. 

Its year 5 and he is still:

Throwing high.

Holding the ball too long.

Has no pocket presence.

Doesnt secure the ball in the pocket leading to fumbles.

Wont throw it away to avoid a sack.

Wont slide or go out of bounds to avoid hits and also leads to fumbles.

If anyone thinks he's elite(Colin Cowherd, Dan Orlovsky) then they're fooling themselves.  He is not.  However, he is still a good QB.  He has flaws and has bad games sometimes but he's still a good QB.  McNabb was never elite and played just as bad sometimes yet we rode with him thru good and bad.  Wentz is a better QB than McNabb.

Not like we can just easily get a Mahomes, Russell Wilson or Rodgers in the draft or FA.  Elite QBs are just that cuz they're rare.

People saying trade him are overreacting?  Yes, big time.

If this is truly is the case then tell me HOW is he better than McNabb????? Please please please explain this to me....a better arm? yeah sure.....but a better QB? I dont see it...

in 2017, we all thought wentz was the next favre or rodgers...a top 3 qb & yearly mvp candidate.  these days, he's looking more like the next andy dalton...a mid tier starting qb with some good statistical games...even seasons...but unreliable. 

14 minutes ago, Sturm said:

That’s probably why he’s not out there being some gimmick player. They’re grooming him to play quarterback. 

Just now, mr_hunt said:

in 2017, we all thought wentz was the next favre or rodgers...a top 2 qb & yearly mvp candidate.  these days, he's looking more like the next andy dalton...a mid tier starting qb with some good statistical games...even seasons...but unreliable. 

I used to think the same way about Carson. I still want to believe in the potential too, because he does some things out there that are special. That touchdown throw to Goedert was a perfect thing of beauty. You see it’s there, but his style of play will never lead to him being consistent. 

2 minutes ago, time2rock said:

So what you're really saying is, tank for Lance!  :P

There is already talk he'll go first round.

22 minutes ago, Swoop said:

Wentz will be the starter through 2025. We aren't trading him. We aren't getting out of his contract. We aren't tanking for Trevor Lawrence.

Yesterday was the worst I have ever seen him play. There were poorly run routes, drops, etc, but he missed guys a ton. Even some of his completions (one to Goedert? that hit the ground comes to mind) were horrendous. He absolutely blew. 

We do have to keep in mind that the off-season was strange. We have new pieces on offense. We had no running game. The offensive line was horrendous and not just the right side. Kelce (understandable, given what was next to him) was poor and Peter's looked bad as well. Seumalo played all right. The play calling was abysmal.

I'm not taking blame away from Wentz, in any capacity, but things are magnified when the rest of the team is also terrible. 

I still have faith in him and the team. Yesterday was a stinker for sure, but I still have confidence moving forward.

That's nice and all, but with an all new coaching staff, Washington could well be the worst team we face this year and they kicked our a**,  playing anything like Yesterday, the Bengals are the only team I'd give us a prayer against the next five games, then we have a run of divisional games. honestly based on Yesterday if we got to Midseason at 2-6 it may be a pleasant surprise. I can't overstate how awful Yesterday was.

19 minutes ago, 315Eagles said:

Unfortunately I agree with you. 

6 minutes ago, Swoop said:

I agree with this, but at the same time, Suds has hardly taken a professional snap. It's not like it's Foles or even McCown on the bench as the 2 behind Wentz.

Speaking of McCown, get him up here to be the OC. Pederson needs to let someone else take over with the play calling.

He hasn’t taken much for snaps but he has at least seen SOME game action, between the meaningless game against Dallas and preseason. So the coaches probably feel like he would better handle a situation where he is thrown into things mid-game. But if Wentz misses starts, I 100% believe they turn to Hurts to see what he can do. 

I'm a huge Wentz fan, but it's time for him to start willing victories. 

He did it last year down the stretch, but it's not enough.  We need more of that.  We keep expecting Russell Wilson results, but he's very far from him.  I still have a long leash for sure, but it's time for him to be accountable.  

Carson an Doug came into the game and season ill-prepared. You saw after the 1st qt and 1st 15 scripted plays, they had nothing. Howie the wunderkind, has no clue how to run a draft. We have glaring depth issues. The Eagles used to have serviceable and even good backup on the line. The last several years, they have been able to get by. With just a few developing into starters. It's like they are trying to plug holes with anything they can find because they are cap strapped and don't have anything to show for several poor drafts.

Archived