Ongoing Ertz discussion thread (orig 9/15)

Dwide Schrude

Ertz is still being a cry baby over his contract and is not trying. Which ironically will hurt whatever context he has coming.

1 hour ago, GeorgeM37 said:

There is not one thing I disagree with here. Boston Scott looked promising last year but he is clearly no Darren Sproles. I still cannot figure out what happened to Cox so frickin fast....he goes from the most dominant in the league to just eh...

I have always hated Mills...that just continues

Agreed, Sweat particularly has been pretty good....

I think today has shown who the WR corps should be....

I would say get Scott involved in the pass game.  Get him some wheel routes or arrow routes out of the backfield.  I would include some screens in there too but the screen game hasnt been good with these new pieces on the O-line.

• Like 1

I don't know what's going on. It's a bit of a concern. We know he had the shouting incident with Howie. We know he was a bit cryptic at the end of last year and isn't happy with his current contract. We know we have to trim some cap before next season. The writing does seem to be on the wall. I'm not sure what we could get in return, but if we are shopping him, maybe a player for player swap where we add a cheaper player at a position where we could use an upgrade this year (LB, CB, OL or even a big RB). 

10 minutes ago, brkmsn said:

I don't know what's going on. It's a bit of a concern. We know he had the shouting incident with Howie. We know he was a bit cryptic at the end of last year and isn't happy with his current contract. We know we have to trim some cap before next season. The writing does seem to be on the wall. I'm not sure what we could get in return, but if we are shopping him, maybe a player for player swap where we add a cheaper player at a position where we could use an upgrade this year (LB, CB, OL or even a big RB). 

I agree, but I don’t think they’re in a position just to trade him away with no other options. For whatever reason he and Wentz aren’t on the same page. They need to clean it up now, because who knows when Goedert will be back. If they try and trade Ertz now they have no chance of getting much of value. 

3 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

I agree, but I don’t think they’re in a position just to trade him away with no other options. For whatever reason he and Wentz aren’t on the same page. They need to clean it up now, because who knows when Goedert will be back. If they try and trade Ertz now they have no chance of getting much of value. 

There's probably more value from trading him at the trade deadline than waiting until after the season when teams know you may be forced to make him a cap casualty.

29 minutes ago, brkmsn said:

There's probably more value from trading him at the trade deadline than waiting until after the season when teams know you may be forced to make him a cap casualty.

If they’re still in this thing I don’t think they can afford to move him. Besides right now his value is little to nothing. I don’t see how you’re getting much for a disgruntled TE who thinks he deserves Kelce money when he’s playing like our backup Rodgers. 

Ertz value to another team will be higher before the trade deadline for a team looking for a top TE playmaker to spark their offense heading into the playoffs. They're not thinking draft as much yet.

After the season as the draft gets closer, the Eagles lose leverage because teams know it's a cap situation, disgruntled player, AND teams are now in off-season mode. They're preparing for the draft, liking their board, and teams care more about picks the closer they get to the draft. 

Someone would still want him, but the compensation might be less.

• Like 2

I still think we could fetch a second for Ertz if traded before the deadline. Teams know how good he is. He hasn't become a bad player over night or during the off season. He's not showing a decline necessarily. His game has never relied on explosion or athleticism. I think his struggles this year are related to the contract issues and I think the scheme. I just don't think they are scheming for Ertz like they have in previous years. 

I in for the trade if we can get something for him...the only problem is that what draft pick we get, Howie is the one doing the draft...sigh

11 hours ago, brkmsn said:

I like this idea.  I'd be cool with a swap for a cheaper player at a position of need like LB or CB.  If we could get an actual NFL quality LB or a CB who's an upgrade over Mills/whoever for the #2 CB role on cheap/moderate 2-3 years left on their deals that'd work, IMO.

Not talking about todays injury. I have never seen a guy take this sharp of a decline. I saw one pass today that while slightly off target he stuck one arm halfway out and just seemed to go "eh f it". If it is about the contract I don't see the logic in tanking your value right before free agency. This guy was a leader of this team and now he seems like a pouting child. 

He's definitely not giving 100%. He short armed that one and flat out dropped another. His blocking was pretty bad, not to mention his falling down after barely being touched as usual. 

Ertz may have reached his TE pinnacle and we are seeing his actual decline right before our eyes. Defenses also can key on him. He hasn't looked like he's getting much separation. But, he has never gotten a great amount of separation. The lapses in concentration and lack of bringing in catchable passes is more troubling. The injury looked like an achilles when it 1st happened. Now, he's getting an MRI tomorrow along with Sanders (knee).

He's never gotten great separation but he's always ran great routes and understands leverage so well and like you said usually caught anything thrown his way. That's definitely not happening this season for some reason.

9 minutes ago, seengreen said:

Ertz may have reached his TE pinnacle and we are seeing his actual decline right before our eyes. Defenses also can key on him. He hasn't looked like he's getting much separation. But, he has never gotten a great amount of separation. The lapses in concentration and lack of bringing in catchable passes is more troubling. The injury looked like an achilles when it 1st happened. Now, he's getting an MRI tomorrow along with Sanders (knee).

If it is a normal decline it came on awfully fast. Usually you don't go from top ten to bottom ten so fast. And sometimes it looks like he just isn't trying. May not be the case though. 

• Like 1

As I’ve said many time, with Goeddert on the roster as a solid #1 TE, we should have traded Ertz last offseason when his value was highest for a #1 and a conditional pick nased him making a pro bowl. Now we will have to settle for less or lose him in FA for an end of third round comp pick. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, eggs said:

As I’ve said many time, with Goeddert on the roster as a solid #1 TE, we should have traded Ertz last offseason when his value was highest for a #1 and a conditional pick nased him making a pro bowl. Now we will have to settle for less or lose him in FA for an end of third round comp pick. 

Well at that time he was a weapon we couldn't afford to lose. Even with Goeddert. They were our only receiving threats. 

Welp looks like my thread got sucked into this one. Oh well. Good talk. 

I swear, I have never in all of my years of watching football seen a player decline so quickly. It is like he is not even there anymore. Time to move on...he is hurting the team because there were a few instances today where you could tell he wasn't giving his all, which is really stupid in my opinion. You don't whine and pout like a spoiled child on the field and hurt your trade value. That makes absolutely no sense at all....

1 hour ago, Uscg-green said:

If it is a normal decline it came on awfully fast. Usually you don't go from top ten to bottom ten so fast. And sometimes it looks like he just isn't trying. May not be the case though. 

I won't disagree. But, Ertz's effort has never come into question prior to this contract dispute. It's hard to see it any other way though. He isn't himself and has not been. This entire Eagle season has been bizarro world.

Just now, seengreen said:

I won't disagree. But, Ertz's effort has never come into question prior to this contract dispute. It's hard to see it any other way though. He isn't himself and has not been. This entire Eagle season has been bizarro world.

Well now he is hurt. My HS coach used to tell us if you aren't really trying on the field you are going to get hurt. Half assing is dangerous. 

I still think a 2nd or 3rd is still plausible for Ertz, after his performance last few weeks a 1st is definitely impossible unless Bill O’Brien gets a GM job. 
Ertz should be traded ASAP, and I think there will be buyers. Eagles leverage has went down in trade talks now with Ertz’s injury however. Won’t matter, Howie will keep him because he still thinks we’re a contender. 

To me he's playing soft and it's obvious, he's never been great for YAC and now he's going down before contact, if he's trying to protect himself until he signs an extension, that's his prerogative but the Eagles don't have to stick him on the field while he does it. Alternatively it may be he's hit late career Jimmy Graham level, he's a serviceable TE but guys that do what he does are pretty much dime a dozen.

Ertz has never been irreplaceable at TE, he's a volume driven receiver statistically and he's nowhere near George Kittle's level as a TE. If Brent Celek had Zach Ertz hands he'd have been hell of a player because he had him beaten hollow for heart and commitment.

• Like 1