Ongoing Ertz discussion thread (orig 9/15)

Dwide Schrude

2 hours ago, eaglegenius said:

So your solution is to dump their most reliable receiver? How's the defense looking with Malcolm Jenkins younger replacement? 

How about cutting injury-prone dead weight like DeSean Jackson and Jason Peters and keeping the veterans who actually contribute to the team?

Goedert is the key here.  They have a starting quality TE ready to step in who is cheaper.  They have a major cap issue the next 2 years, and Ertz wants more money because he knows they have his replacement ready.  Ertz will be gone, Goedert is the future as they need to rebuild around a younger nucleus.

• Like 3

I was all aboard keeping Ertz but he's pulling that same crap Jackson did so many years ago for getting a new contract

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mike030270 said:

I was all aboard keeping Ertz but he's pulling that same crap Jackson did so many years ago for getting a new contract

I don't even think it comes down to that. 

There is literally no point or value in keeping Ertz.

Given where the Eagles are with this ageing and very expensive roster, they really need to seriously cut salaries and take a year or two to accelerate getting the cap back in order to allow some seriously needed reshaping and retooling. 

The way to do it is to trade a couple of the more expensive guys on the roster, get picks (actually be waaaay better at draft than they have been). We just have way too many players with cap hits above 10m. I love myself some of these players but a couple of these guys need to be traded for picks. Ertz, Graham, DeSean, M.Jackson. Not listing guys like Alshon who I don’t think anyone would take on or the more drastic option of trading Cox in the off-season. 

The road ahead is ugly for the Eagles. Homies mistakes last few years will catch up to us (signing both Malik and Hargrave, extending Alshon, drafting JJAW and Dillard etc)

On 9/28/2020 at 3:36 PM, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I don't even think it comes down to that. 

There is literally no point or value in keeping Ertz.

Actually you might be right. This team is going nowhere anyway until they get rid of Wentz.
So maybe it'd be wiser to start building and grooming a corps of young players to be
ready for the next QB.

56 minutes ago, eaglegenius said:

Actually you might be right. This team is going nowhere anyway until they get rid of Wentz.
So maybe it'd be wiser to start building and grooming a corps of young players to be
ready for the next QB.

I mean not quite what I meant but... If that's your thoughts. 

On 9/28/2020 at 1:55 PM, NOTW said:

Goedert is the key here.  They have a starting quality TE ready to step in who is cheaper.  They have a major cap issue the next 2 years, and Ertz wants more money because he knows they have his replacement ready.  Ertz will be gone, Goedert is the future as they need to rebuild around a younger nucleus.

If Ertz is gone tomorrow they're two years late and the clock continues to click.

1 hour ago, EagleVA said:

If Ertz is gone tomorrow they're two years late and the clock continues to click.

But better than he's gone tomorrow than in a year's time when his value is even less. 

On 9/28/2020 at 12:59 PM, Mike030270 said:

Anytime someone would even mention trading Ertz I was defending keeping the most valuable receiver on the team. Now that he is pulling that Jackson crap, better that they get rid of him instead....

8 hours ago, GeorgeM37 said:

Anytime someone would even mention trading Ertz I was defending keeping the most valuable receiver on the team. Now that he is pulling that Jackson crap, better that they get rid of him instead....

Which is fair enough but I would argue... Why does it even matter what Ertz is doing? This team isn't a contender and isn't going to be in the next year or two. They also have major cap issues. I see no logical reason for keeping Ertz and with this season fast going to ish you may as well maximise his value. 

• 2 weeks later...

Ertz has been such a massive disappointment this year it’s hard to believe he’s playing for a new contract. Almost every pass thrown his way, he shows the bare minimum amount of effort and seems to give absolutely zero f’s about the result of the play. Never mind the fact that he doesn’t get open nearly as often as he once did. I appreciate all he has done for this team but his time here is up. The sooner Goedert is back the better, as this guy is not the answer for us anymore. 

• Like 5

He’s doing the same crap Jackson did years ago during a contract year. This was surprising. I didn’t expect that from him. Just disappointed 

• Like 4

Was it just me who saw him standing next to Carson throwing his hands up in the air when Wentz threw the INT? He did not look happy. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, stinkfist said:

Was it just me who saw him standing next to Carson throwing his hands up in the air when Wentz threw the INT? He did not look happy. 

I didn’t see that but doesn’t surprise me. He has the demeanour of a sulky teenager on the field this year.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Godfather said:

I've been saying trade him since week 1

I've been saying it since the 2018 season ended.

As always, Roseman hung on too long, and at this point would be lucky to get a 3rd for him.            More likely will be giving him a new contract, that would be quintessential Roseman. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

14 minutes ago, Mike030270 said:

He’s doing the same crap Jackson did years ago during a contract year. This was surprising. I didn’t expect that from him. Just disappointed 

Exactly....I never expected this from him....extremely disappointed in him right now

• Like 1

Just now, mjkvol said:

I've been saying it since the 2018 season ended.

Dude, f Guarantano. He's trash. Because of him the Vols can't beat the top SEC teams

All the Wentz haters will call out that he had 2 INTs today when he was accounted in true honestly zero. Ertz gave up on that timing slant route and the last pick was just a end of game prayer. Sadly Ertz value is dropping more and more after every game. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, 20dawk4life said:

He’s the biggest wuss I’ve seen as a TE. Dudes just a big diva WR. 

What Conference did he come out of?

• Haha 1

Just now, Godfather said:

Dude, f Guarantano. He's trash. Because of him the Vols can't beat the top SEC teams

Preaching to the choir.         As soon as he was named the starter this season, it had 5-5, 6-4 written all over it.           Great kid, fantastic attitude and work ethic - just can't play.

Very disappointed in Zach's play this season. He really has allowed the contract situation to affect his play. Even when he was drafted, Celek still made some plays. Zach is so lost right now.