2023: Continued dead cap hell (Currently $54 Million)

paco

15 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I think Quez has done it for a little longer period. I mean not a lot longer but I think he's flashed for long enough to be more than a Fulgham flash in the pan. 

My thoughts exactly, and Quez is a worker. He has that instinct to get after it and build himself into the best he can be. He was way more polished this year, that doesnt happen without effort (something Fulgham lacks)

1 hour ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

5  catches for 132 yards and 1 touchdown in 3 games is a decent stretch now? What a sad state of affairs the WR position is in. 

Yes that's how bad it is.  Some fans actually got excited by him.

mack-hollins-dance.gif

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I think Quez has done it for a little longer period. I mean not a lot longer but I think he's flashed for long enough to be more than a Fulgham flash in the pan. 

Yes they are different of course.  Fulgham put up excellent numbers during a small stretch of 4 games, Watkins has produced well over 2 years but not as big time (if I recall).  

I like Watkins.  I'm just saying that he's basically a #3 WR at best that Siri is calling him a #2.  I hope he's kind of like Avant where he has a pretty steady career.

• Like 1

Just now, NOTW said:

Yes they are different of course.  Fulgham put up excellent numbers during a small stretch of 4 games, Watkins has produced well over 2 years but not as big time (if I recall).  

I like Watkins.  I'm just saying that he's basically a #3 WR at best that Siri is calling him a #2.  I hope he's kind of like Avant where he has a pretty steady career.

Oh I agree with you I'm not trying to suggest he's a #2. In fact... I think he is very much a #3 and absolutely not a #2. But a #3 with good production for a sixth round pick? That's very good. 

16 minutes ago, NOTW said:

Yes that's how bad it is.  Some fans actually got excited by him.

mack-hollins-dance.gif

That's cause he stiff armed someone that one preseason game. Instantly became the next T.O. oooooo

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, NOTW said:

Quez is a 3rd or 4th WR being used as a 2nd WR.  He also could be the type of player that everyone forgets about in a year or 2.  Remember Fulgham was going to be "elite" after playing well in a short span.  At one point even Mack Hollins had a decent stretch of games and scored a huge long TD.  Players have to be proven long term. Gainwell was a good pick as well, and featured more in the offense than I expected.  

The one position they draft really well is O line, and I think Stoutland is a big part of that.  

Every team is able to hit on some players sometimes who become starters or at least contribute in rotation.  Sweat, Maddox, Driscoll, Watkins, Sanders, Seumalo...these are guys who can start or are significant depth but not star players that anyone on the other team really fears playing.  Malaita is looking like a beast and what a gem converting a rugby player in the 7th round to the starting LT.  Goedert is the starting TE now but he still isn't standing out in the league.

On defense Howie has not drafted one bona fide star player ever.  His ceiling is a guy who is a decent starter.  The best defensive player he's drafted is Barnett...a penalty liability who might be let go in free agency this year which would mean no players remain from the 2017 draft.  

Too many fans have set the bar so low for Howie:  they celebrate players like Sweat and Maddox who are just ok players, hey at least they're not busts.  What players on defense that Howie has drafted are opposing offenses worried about facing?  

He absolutely must come out of this draft with at least one defensive stud player

Defensive stud players typically come from picks 1-12.  What defensive stud players across the NFL came from picks 13 and beyond?

23 minutes ago, mattwill said:

Defensive stud players typically come from picks 1-12.  What defensive stud players across the NFL came from picks 13 and beyond?

Aaron Donald pick 13 😛

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, NOTW said:

Meh.  Watkins was mostly an after thought in 2020.  He's really only produced one year.   7 rec for 106 yards isn't much for a rookie season.

50 minutes ago, mattwill said:

TJ Watt came 16 picks AFTER the Eagles picked Derek Barnett.   Tre'Davious White came 13 picks after Barnett.

That's just two off the top of my head in one draft... and the Eagles passed on both.

If we want to go through another year... 2018... Eagles held pick #32.  Darius Leonard went #36.  (Eagles traded back to #49 instead.) 

38 minutes ago, mattwill said:

Some examples.  Most of these names are on consideration for the Defensive Player of the Year this year.

• T.J. Watt was 30th
  • Cameron Heyword 31st 
  • Jonathan Allen 17th
  • Trevon Diggs 2nd round
  • Calais Campbell 2nd round
  • Kevin Byard 3rd round
  • Matt Judon 5th round
  • Seattle drafted most of their Super Bowl winning "Legion of Boom" defense all outside the 1st round including Richard Sherman, Kam Chancellor, Byron Maxwell, Bobby Wagner, K.J. Wright.

Also Howie could have had Micah Parson at 12, we'll see how DeVonta Smith compares over time.

33 minutes ago, NOTW said:

Some examples.  Most of these names are on consideration for the Defensive Player of the Year this year.

• T.J. Watt was 30th
  • Cameron Heyword 31st 
  • Jonathan Allen 17th
  • Trevon Diggs 2nd round
  • Kevin Byard 3rd round
  • Matt Judon 5th round
  • Seattle drafted most of their Super Bowl winning "Legion of Boom" defense all outside the 1st round including Richard Sherman, Kam Chancellor, Byron Maxwell, Bobby Wagner, K.J. Wright.

Also Howie could have had Micah Parson at 12, we'll see how DeVonta Smith compares over time.

Darius Slay is considered one of the top CBs in the league especially after this season. 2nd round

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

Darius Slay is considered one of the top CBs in the league especially after this season. 2nd round

Nah... other GMs can find those defensive players at all manner of places in the draft.  Howie can't find them.   

lost-my-glasses-mr-magoo.gif

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Iggles_Phan said:

Nah... other GMs can find those defensive players at all manner of places in the draft.  Howie can't find them.   

Which GMs are you talking about specifically?

3 minutes ago, BayAreaLennie said:

Which GMs are you talking about specifically?

The ones that have drafted a top talent defensive player in the last 9 years.  That's what we were discussing, isn't it?  

16 minutes ago, Iggles_Phan said:

The ones that have drafted a top talent defensive player in the last 9 years.  That's what we were discussing, isn't it?  

Right, and I am asking you to name the GMs who you think have done the best job of that.  Maybe we can try to hire one away from their current team.

12 minutes ago, BayAreaLennie said:

Right, and I am asking you to name the GMs who you think have done the best job of that.  Maybe we can try to hire one away from their current team.

Lol.  I know Lurie is married to Howie.  That's a waste of time.

2 hours ago, BayAreaLennie said:

GMs who drafted:

5 hours ago, NOTW said:

• T.J. Watt was 30th
  • Cameron Heyword 31st 
  • Jonathan Allen 17th
  • Trevon Diggs 2nd round
  • Kevin Byard 3rd round
  • Matt Judon 5th round

That is a pretty wide net going back to at least 2008 (Campbell), but here are, I believe, the responsible GMs:

• T.J. Watt (30th, 2017) and Cameron Heyword (31st, 2011) - Kevin Colbert, Pittsburgh 
  • Jonathan Allen (17th, 2017) - Bruce Allen, WFT
  • Trevon Diggs (51st, 2nd rd, 2020) - Jerry Jones, Dallas
  • Kevin Byard (64th, 3rd rd, 2016) - John Robinson, Tennessee
  • Matt Judon (146th, 5th rd, 2016) - Ozzie Newsome, Baltimore
  • Calais Campbell (2nd rd, 50th, 2008) - Rod Graves, Arizona
  • Sherman/Chanceller/Maxwell/Wagner/Wright - did not look them up but presumably John Schneider, Seattle

6 minutes ago, BayAreaLennie said:

That is a pretty wide net going back to at least 2008 (Campbell), but here are, I believe, the responsible GMs:

• T.J. Watt (30th, 2017) and Cameron Heyword (31st, 2011) - Kevin Colbert, Pittsburgh 
  • Jonathan Allen (17th, 2017) - Bruce Allen, WFT
  • Trevon Diggs (51st, 2nd rd, 2020) - Jerry Jones, Dallas
  • Kevin Byard (64th, 3rd rd, 2016) - John Robinson, Tennessee
  • Matt Judon (146th, 5th rd, 2016) - Ozzie Newsome, Baltimore
  • Calais Campbell (2nd rd, 50th, 2008) - Rod Graves, Arizona
  • Sherman/Chanceller/Maxwell/Wagner/Wright - did not look them up but presumably John Schneider, Seattle

Colbert is reportedly stepping down after this draft, but not necessarily retiring. (I'm guessing he'll stick around with the Steelers in some other capacity, but if that's not the case....). The Steelers are one of the best at drafting players and prying away Colbert from Pittsburgh to be the GM would be a huge win for the Eagles, assuming Jeff Lurie would ever consider letting Howie walk.

👀

TJ Watt in Philly would have been nothing more than a Mike Mamula part 2..... It wouldnt have worked....

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Jeep_man said:

TJ Watt in Philly would have been nothing more than a Mike Mamula part 2..... It wouldnt have worked....

Yeah... ok.  

On 1/28/2022 at 3:57 PM, NOTW said:

• T.J. Watt was 30th
  • Cameron Heyword 31st 
  • Jonathan Allen 17th
  • Trevon Diggs 2nd round
  • Kevin Byard 3rd round
  • Matt Judon 5th round

So over an extended period you have 13 examples out of a possible 352 opportunities.  Generously that is 3% of the opportunities.  3% is within sniffing distance of "the exception does not make the rule.”

On 1/28/2022 at 3:47 PM, Iggles_Phan said:

TJ Watt came 16 picks AFTER the Eagles picked Derek Barnett.   Tre'Davious White came 13 picks after Barnett.

That's just two off the top of my head in one draft... and the Eagles passed on both.

If we want to go through another year... 2018... Eagles held pick #32.  Darius Leonard went #36.  (Eagles traded back to #49 instead.) 

So you have come up with a handful of examples out of 352 opportunities.  Can you say, "the exception does not make the rule.”

On 1/28/2022 at 3:21 PM, Bwestbrook36 said:

Aaron Donald pick 13 😛

Good example … excellent example in fact.