2023: Continued dead cap hell (Currently $54 Million)

paco

Team - Dead - Rolled over - difference

Colts - 6.8 - 2.4M - 4.6M

Browns - 12.3M - 10.5M - 1.8M

Panthers - 22M - 4.6M - 17.4M

Chargers - 3.7M - 9M - +5.3M

Bengals - 9.6M - 5.2M - 4.4M

Bears - 45M - 1.9M - 43.1M 

Bills - 16.6M - 2.3M - 14.3M

Saints - 29.3M - 154K - 29.2M

Dolphins - 8.4M - 2.2M - 6.2M

Packers - 24.6M - 2.8M - 21.8M

Texans - 51.7M - 3.7M - 48M

Cowboys - 18.9M - 3.9M - 15M

Broncos 14.9M - 11.2M - 3.7M

Seahawks - 44.5M - 10.5M - 33M

Bucs - 19.1M - 1.4M - 17.7M

Ravens - 7.3M - 328K - 7M

Vikings - 23M - 1.7M - 21.3M

Chiefs - 9.1M - 1.3M - 7.8M

Lions - 20.2M - 1M - 19.2M

Steelers - 25.9M - 7.7M - 18.2M

Cardinals - 5.8M - 2M - 3.8M

Commanders - 2.4M - 4M - +1.6M

Eagles - 36.1M - 16.4M - 19.7M

Giants - 19.4M - 13K - 19.4M

Falcons - 62M - 487K - 61.9M

Raiders - 23.2M - 300K - 22.9M

Jaguars - 23.2M - 25.7M - +2.5M

Jets - 1.7M - 850K - 0.9M

49ers - 5.1M - 1.5M - 3.6M

Titans - 8.9M - 2.8M - 7.1M

Patriots - 8.9M - 107K - 8.8M

Rams - 13.4M - 137K - 13.3M

Eagles rank 24th and are within 5M of 6 other teams. 

• 4 weeks later...

Making AJ Brown the 4th highest paid WR in the NFL after not finishing in the top 30 of major WR categories last year.  His best year in 2020 he was 32nd in receptions, 16th in yards, 6th in TD.

How does the contract affect the cap this year and next?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, NOTW said:

Making AJ Brown the 4th highest paid WR in the NFL after not finishing in the top 30 of major WR categories last year.  His best year in 2020 he was 32nd in receptions, 16th in yards, 6th in TD.

It's an extension, so he only costs the Eagles $3.9 m against the cap this year. I dont think anyone has the details of how it breaks down in 2023 and beyond.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, pallidrone said:

It's an extension, so he only costs the Eagles $3.9 m against the cap this year. I dont think anyone has the details of how it breaks down in 2023 and beyond.

No details yet that I can find.

Ya know what it does save?  Philly from having to offer Reagor a huge deal or any deal at all for a second contract considering he was a first round pick. 

6 minutes ago, BornGreen said:

Ya know what it does save?  Philly from having to offer Reagor a huge deal or any deal at all for a second contract considering he was a first round pick. 

In what multi-verse would the Eagles give Reagor a 2nd contract?  :huh:

1 hour ago, NOTW said:

In what multi-verse would the Eagles give Reagor a 2nd contract?  :huh:

Exactly we’re not giving him one so taking Aj browns extension shouldn’t take put a burden on Howie’ cap issues.  A new deal for fee see or Jefferson is prob going to cost more than Aj’s that’s where we could have been financially for that pos for this year or next. 

10 minutes ago, BornGreen said:

Exactly we’re not giving him one so taking Aj browns extension shouldn’t take put a burden on Howie’ cap issues.  A new deal for fee see or Jefferson is prob going to cost more than Aj’s that’s where we could have been financially for that pos for this year or next. 

That gibberish aside, your post still makes no sense.  A 2nd contract for Reagor wasn't an option so there's no comparison.  Drafting a WR like Burks instead of trading it for Brown is a comparison, and Burks would be on a rookie deal.  

Anyway, they traded for Brown and made him the 4th highest paid WR so that's the question, how does that impact the cap.  

1 hour ago, NOTW said:

That gibberish aside, your post still makes no sense.  A 2nd contract for Reagor wasn't an option so there's no comparison.  Drafting a WR like Burks instead of trading it for Brown is a comparison, and Burks would be on a rookie deal.  

Anyway, they traded for Brown and made him the 4th highest paid WR so that's the question, how does that impact the cap.  

You got confused and see that I never said we would give Reagor a new contract after performing like he did.  It was "If he did perform "  like his draft rivals. 

If Reagor had been a success, we would be looking to extend him like Dallas will be soon doing with Cee Dee  and Minn will  soon be doing to extend Jefferson.  If we "had landed" Jefferson and he put up the same or better production as he did in Minn, his contract ext would be way more than what we just gave AJ Brown hands down.  Not knocking AJ but hes no Jefferson.   So tech despite dealing with a crappy Reagor for the last few seasons in the end this AJ Brown contract isnt as bad as the "potential" 2nd contract we would have to be dolling out to a stud WR from that draft class "if" Reagor had put up production like the ladder two mentioned Wr'.  My main point all along was AJ Brown's contract  prob wont affect the cap as severely as it "could have" if we were dealing a second contract to a Jefferson or Cee dee lamb quality player, which we would be doing soon if we had actually taken either of those two Wrs or Reagor had actually panned out like Howie thought he would have.  It was and is a hypothetical comparison until,  A. we see what Howie does with manipulating the structure of the Brown deal and B. we see how high of a contract we could have been having to structure around if that previous WR draft went successfully like it did for Minn, DAllas, Sea.  That was all I was saying.

4 hours ago, NOTW said:

The extension is 2 hamburgers year one and then when the contract ends 6 void years will roll up and count toward 24% of the 2027 cap

8 minutes ago, paco said:

The extension is 2 hamburgers year one and then when the contract ends 6 void years will roll up and count toward 24% of the 2027 cap

Ok you had me at hamburgers (now I'm hungry) then lost me with all these numbers and such.  How many pizzas will it buy in 2023?  :P

2 minutes ago, NOTW said:

Ok you had me at hamburgers (now I'm hungry) then lost me with all these numbers and such.  How many pizzas will it buy in 2023?  :P

Pizza by Alfredo or Alfredo's Pizza Cafe?

• Haha 2

Just now, paco said:

Pizza by Alfredo or Alfredo's Pizza Cafe?

No food from NEPA, thanks.

• Haha 3

4 hours ago, BornGreen said:

You think that was ever on the table?  :lol: 

21 hours ago, BornGreen said:

You got confused and see that I never said we would give Reagor a new contract after performing like he did.  It was "If he did perform "  like his draft rivals. 

If Reagor had been a success, we would be looking to extend him like Dallas will be soon doing with Cee Dee  and Minn will  soon be doing to extend Jefferson.  If we "had landed" Jefferson and he put up the same or better production as he did in Minn, his contract ext would be way more than what we just gave AJ Brown hands down.  Not knocking AJ but hes no Jefferson.   So tech despite dealing with a crappy Reagor for the last few seasons in the end this AJ Brown contract isnt as bad as the "potential" 2nd contract we would have to be dolling out to a stud WR from that draft class "if" Reagor had put up production like the ladder two mentioned Wr'.  My main point all along was AJ Brown's contract  prob wont affect the cap as severely as it "could have" if we were dealing a second contract to a Jefferson or Cee dee lamb quality player, which we would be doing soon if we had actually taken either of those two Wrs or Reagor had actually panned out like Howie thought he would have.  It was and is a hypothetical comparison until,  A. we see what Howie does with manipulating the structure of the Brown deal and B. we see how high of a contract we could have been having to structure around if that previous WR draft went successfully like it did for Minn, DAllas, Sea.  That was all I was saying.

If we'd drafted Jefferson or Reagor had performed as well as Jefferson has, we wouldn't have traded for AJ Brown, as it is, if Smith has consecutive 1000 yard seasons for next 3 years how do we extend him? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cochis_Calhoun said:

If we'd drafted Jefferson or Reagor had performed as well as Jefferson has, we wouldn't have traded for AJ Brown, as it is, if Smith has consecutive 1000 yard seasons for next 3 years how do we extend him? 

Kelce will be gone, Cox will be gone, good chance Lane gone, Slay likely gone, significant cap increase due to inflation. 3 years is a lifetime

On 4/29/2022 at 8:30 PM, NOTW said:

You: This will make it super difficult to keep players let alone sign free agents.

Me: Haha it‘s meaningless. We can do whatever we want and Roseman makes it work.

Like broken records..

@paco 2024 is very concerning.  As it stands, have about 20 million in space wit 25 players under contract

Eagles have 10.84 million in cap room, Will be 7.5 million after rookies are signed.  I don't remember what the June 1 savings of the Cox release are, but will be added to the 7.5 million

2023 - before rookies are added ( the have a first year cap hit of 7.4 million, so more than that obviously), Eagles have 10.8 million in cap room with 44 players under contract

2024 - before rookies are added ( the have a first year cap hit of 7.4 million, so more than that obviously), Eagles have 29 million in cap room with 20 players under contract.

• 3 weeks later...

I thought given the Bradberry signing, it was worth revisiting this thread.  Apparently, with a starting QB under a rookie contract, Howie was able to make some moves to upgrade the roster.  If we don't hit a wall like we did in 2020, the cap should increase in future years, mitigating cap problems in the future for many teams.

On 5/18/2022 at 8:24 PM, Vortex said:

There is all kinds of brilliance in this thread that would entertaining to revisit 🤣

Such as?

When it's all said and done, it appears that, in general, the NFL hard cap is as soft as Cindy Jones...Sidney Jones Stats, News and Video - CB | NFL.com

• Haha 1

On 5/18/2022 at 2:47 PM, Procus said:

I thought given the Bradberry signing, it was worth revisiting this thread.  Apparently, with a starting QB under a rookie contract, Howie was able to make some moves to upgrade the roster.  If we don't hit a wall like we did in 2020, the cap should increase in future years, mitigating cap problems in the future for many teams.

Not entirely correct.

Currently the Eagles are over the 2023 cap.  

2024 the Eagles have 23.5  million in cap space ( based on the projected cap being 256 million ) with 37 players under contract.

If Hurts is the answer, you are then having to pay him big dollars, and you need replacements for the following players.

Kelce ( Cam Jurgens potential replacement )

Slay and Bradberry ( based on the Bradberry signing, Eagles not comfortable with any of the current corners no the roster )

Graham and Barnett ( Sweat and ??? )

Seumalo ( no one has really stepped up from the group of back ups yet )

Harris and Epps ( safety thin and none of the backups appear they will ever be starters )

In regards to the bolded, all of the projections are based on widely reported expectations of the cap, 2024 is projected to be 256 million, and the actual number will be quite close.  This idea that the cap is just going to magically be way higher than expected is just not smart, they have projections and they are correct.