What Stage Of Franchise Quarterback Grief Are You In?

EazyEaglez

Five Stages Of Elite Franchise Quarterback Grief.  

69 members have voted

1. 1. As we come to terms with the doubt the Eagles have a franchise quarterback I wonder where everyone stands.

• Denial: "Please we still have a Franchise Quarterback! See that throw right there? That’s why our guy is better than Dak!”
    • Anger: "This guy is a bum! Bench him yesterday!”
    • Bargaining: "If he just had a new (coach, receivers, offense, line, defense, water boy and so on) he would be an elite quarterback.”
    • Depression: "We are stuck with this guy and his contract forever.”
    • Acceptance: "Carson is too inconsistent to be an elite franchise quarterback.”

It’s time to come to terms with the truth that 2017 Carson is never coming back. He’s a distant memory, and I wonder how my fellow Taters are dealing with the loss. 

• Like 2

He has no accuracy and his interceptions are the worst in the NFL. Overrated. If he had a right coach..he could make an improvement, but that is not going to happen this year with our offensive line. The whole team is crumbling down. We need to rebuild...just about everything except the kicker.

• Like 1

Wentz needs a lot better talent around him and more time to throw. He'd look a lot better if he had those two things. 2017 good? Maybe not, but good enough to win it all with help.

As it stands now, every QB playing for the Eagles under these circumstances will look like crap. Whoever it is gets only one OK WR and an O-line that's messed up. Good luck with that.

Oh, and why is that? Howie is the worst judge of college talent in the NFL and a complete and consistent failure in that department.

• Like 2

I feel like people are too far on one side or the other with Wentz right now. He’s been terrible so far this season, there’s absolutely no question about that. You can’t simply pin the blame on the people around him. Having said that, people seem to forget that he was great just last year! He was the main person that dragged our injury depleted team to the post-season. He was terrific down the stretch.

• Like 1

Between Lurie, who sees more than he should in Howie, and Howie, who will continue to steal paychecks with poor personnel decisions, and Doug, who either can’t or isn’t allowed to build a competent staff, and Wentz, who all the above seem to think will get back to his 2017 self, I think we’re going to be stuck in this rut for the foreseeable future. Be happy we got Super Bowl 52, we’re not seeing another for some time. 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, EagleJoe8 said:

Between Lurie, who sees more than he should in Howie, and Howie, who will continue to steal paychecks with poor personnel decisions, and Doug, who either can’t or isn’t allowed to build a competent staff, and Wentz, who all the above seem to think will get back to his 2017 self, I think we’re going to be stuck in this rut for the foreseeable future. Be happy we got Super Bowl 52, we’re not seeing another for some time. 

I tend to agree with this. Too many holes for a quick fix and since it'll take maybe 4 or 5 years to get it right, new holes will appear by then like Lane Johnson being done. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, PoconoDon said:

I tend to agree with this. Too many holes for a quick fix and since it'll take maybe 4 or 5 years to get it right, new holes will appear by then like Lane Johnson being done. 

Yup, and until Lurie recognizes and admits the right way to fix this, we’re beyond screwed. 

• Like 2

It’s hard to blame everything on Wentz, when he’s played well even given the circumstances last few years. But I accepted today that we probably won’t ever see Wentz have that Mahomes or Rodgers type impact on a game like we all hoped back in 2017. To me Howie deserves almost all the blame. Ever since the SB win, there hasn’t been any players he’s brought in to really bring any short or long term stability at any position. Wentz is the only first round pick since Lane Johnson that has made any sort of very positive impact on this team. Reagor and Dillard get benefit of doubt here, but missing both to injuries hurts. 

We are stuck with Wentz for next few years, barring an unlikely trade, whether we like it or not. I really don’t know what I’d like the team to do from here, it’s hard to get excited even if we add talent or start playing better because of the constant injury issue. 

• Like 1

I was at the acceptance stage in 2018.  2017 Wentz was just like everything else the Eagles did in 2017: magic.  

But that magic is long gone.  I don't think he'll continue to look this bad, but will never be the elite QB people have tricked themselves into believing he is.

I believe Wentz can excell if he has the right crew around him.

One of those needs is an Oline that can give him a lot of time in the pocket as he does not possess a quick release. 

you could make this poll a mad libs and in place of quaterback, he, or guy... leave a blank space. 

IE.
After watching the game today, where the (any nfl team not the eagles) opened up an (adjective) of whoop ahz; I have come to realize that our (player/position/coach/employee) is completely (verb past tense) and in my opinion, a total  (explicative) (derogatory term for body part) and thanks (team GM) for making sure the cowgirls are (astronomical number) years ahead of us. You can go (sexual act) yourselves, every one of you, except ( TEAM player)...you're cool. 

I am both bargaining and accepting.

I am hopeful that if you give Wentz better weapons and better protection then he could still be a good QB.

However I am accepting that he isn't going to be elite. He isn't going to be a top 5 QB in the league, hell he probably won't be a top 10 QB.

He is a streaky QB. He has highs and lows. He has exceptional athletic ability and is capable of making incredible jaw dropping plays but he is not accurate, AT ALL, and he just appears to be lost out there. And to be honest this seems to be who Wentz is. He goes through patches where he has it all under control and then he goes through patches where he looks completely and utterly lost. And when he gets in to a funk he stays in a funk for a long while. Since he tore his ACL in 2017 this just appears to be who he is. His record since 2017 is under .500 and we have enough of a sample size here to say that he isn't going to be an elite QB.

But I also don't accept that he is bad as he is showing right now. He's better than that. He may not be an elite QB, he may only be good to average but he's better than what we are seeing at this moment.

Shocker is a genius and will soon be my new life adviser. 

• Haha 1

Just now, Hawkeye said:

Now we know why the Eagles took a quarterback in the second round.  They know

I just don't buy that though. I have no idea why they took Hurts but I just don't believe that a year after you give the QB a mega deal that you'd draft a QB to potentially replace him.

For a start the cap hits on Carson if they cut or trade him make it nigh on impossible for them to move him on. Secondly, he showed down the stretch last year that he can lead this team. So why would they at that point decide to move on from Carson? He took a nasty blow to the head in his first play off game it wasn't like he got "hurt" again.

Honestly I am more disenchanted with Howie and Doug than I am Carson.  Doug's play-calling is doing Carson no favors - it has been that way since 2017.  Also, that was the last time Wentz had a really good QB coach - Flip managed to get the best out of him.  Probably helped to have Reich on staff too - I'm sure he helped in Wentz's development too.  Replace those 2 with Groh and Taylor is a huge step down (collectively).  So the staff Doug assembled is equally responsible for Carson's regression IMO.  

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, time2rock said:

Honestly I am more disenchanted with Howie and Doug than I am Carson.  Doug's play-calling is doing Carson no favors - it has been that way since 2017.  Also, that was the last time Wentz had a really good QB coach - Flip managed to get the best out of him.  Probably helped to have Reich on staff too - I'm sure he helped in Wentz's development too.  Replace those 2 with Groh and Taylor is a huge step down (collectively).  So the staff Doug assembled is equally responsible for Carson's regression IMO.  

See I'm disenchanted with them all but Carson is really concerning me. I do agree that Doug is not helping matters but Wentz looks lost out there. He's not in control, he's not reading plays and he's missing really easy throws. And to be honest he's done this throughout his career so at this point this is who he is. 

I'm going with Anger, but its more of the "Trade everyone and burn this f'er to the ground" variety. 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I just don't buy that though. I have no idea why they took Hurts but I just don't believe that a year after you give the QB a mega deal that you'd draft a QB to potentially replace him.

For a start the cap hits on Carson if they cut or trade him make it nigh on impossible for them to move him on. Secondly, he showed down the stretch last year that he can lead this team. So why would they at that point decide to move on from Carson? He took a nasty blow to the head in his first play off game it wasn't like he got "hurt" again.

I don't think they plan to move on from him, at least not now, for all the reason you mention.  But the organization watches him closer than anyone and they must be seeing what we're seeing, right? No team can succeed with the level of QB play the Eagles are currently getting from Wentz.

So now what?  

1 minute ago, Hawkeye said:

I don't think they plan to move on from him, at least not now, for all the reason you mention.  But the organization watches him closer than anyone and they must be seeing what we're seeing, right? No team can succeed with the level of QB play the Eagles are currently getting from Wentz.

So now what?  

I just think they are too tied in to Wentz and they can't move on. If they bench him and look to move on then it is a damning indictment of Doug and of Howie and both would be putting their necks on the line. Mind you if Doug doesn't bench him and he continues to play this way then he is very likely gone anyway so Doug is in a no win situation.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I just think they are too tied in to Wentz and they can't move on. If they bench him and look to move on then it is a damning indictment of Doug and of Howie and both would be putting their necks on the line. Mind you if Doug doesn't bench him and he continues to play this way then he is very likely gone anyway so Doug is in a no win situation.

The season is on the brink (and it is probably already to late) but it's still only September. 

However San Francisco, Pittsburgh and Baltimore are up next.  Whatever they're gonna do, they need to do it now.